Code of Conduct
    Devon_S

Default Can You Suggest Me a Good Winter Fragrance That Matches My Style/Personality?

Sorry if this is over-asked, but it's highly dependent and so I'm asking again.

Currently I wear The Third Man by Caron.

Well here in England, Autumn has just come by and so I feel I'm going to need something less floral and light than what I'm wearing at the moment; something I can wear until Spring comes back around.

Some information on myself.. I'm 18, so young, at college. I dress differently to most people my age though favouring a smart casual attire, you know, jumpers and shirts with black jeans. I also pronounce my words correctly (it's buTTer not buher), but speak with what is described as a soft voice, when I've heard my voice recorded I think it sounds somewhat like Daniel Radcliff's. Personality wise I can be condescending and a little arrogant at times but I do apologise and deep down I'm emotional and caring, although some people would be hard pressed to believe that. I'm a 'font of knowledge' as I have been told as I'm full of those useless bits of information I don't need to know. I'm also known however for being that sophisticated person who seems to know everyone, and you would never suspect. Despite all this about my day-to-day life I still do enjoy my social life and would be one of the last people to turn down a party.

I'm looking for a winter fragrance that suits my sophisticated middle-class attitude but that also complements my softer voice (so nothing too heavy). I know it's hard to just pin a fragrance to a person but I'm no expert in this field and so any help would be appreciated.

If possible, nothing too expensive or common, I plan to wear this as an everyday fragrance.

Default Re: Can You Suggest Me a Good Winter Fragrance That Matches My Style/Personality?

L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme? I like to think that I'm like you in a way, and this fragrance has great longevity but is never too loud or too heavy, just very warm, smooth and inviting. Because it's not a silage bomb, it makes it pretty safe for everyday use, in my opinion.

Also, welcome to the forums. Always nice to have another Briton here.

Default Re: Can You Suggest Me a Good Winter Fragrance That Matches My Style/Personality?

You have great taste if you've been wearing Le Troisieme Homme as a daily fragrance. Ungaro II could fit your bill. Not the easiest to find but you can get it for reasonably cheap on e-bay.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

From what I know, the fragrance you wear daily is actually great for the fall/winter. But, since you are a more sophisticated guy, you may want to check out Tom Ford's Italian Cyprus, which isn't perfect for winter, but it could work in Fall. You may also want to consider a vetiver, like Chanel Sycomore.

1725 Casanova
    Ambre 114
    Coromandel
    Cuir des Russie
    Bois des Illes
    Jicky EDP

Burberry London

I love Troisieme homme too, and agree that it smells more on the fresh side. its brother Yatagan, instead, is a dark woody (after the arresting vegetable top), wonderful too, but it is more brooding-aggressive, which doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

A suggestion would be Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not the Platinum Egoiste). It is a warm sandalwood with a touch of fruits, very smooth and elegant. It is very close to (and derived from) the Bois des Isles that Duke Hunt mentioned, but a little easier to find (and cheaper).

cacio

+1 on Guerlain L'Instant Extreme
    Bucheron Jaipur (see if you can find the EdP)
    YSL Body Kouros

Banned

Obsession Men.

Banned

Try:

L'Anarchiste by Caron - Upon application, one is treated to an impressive, citric accord. Mandarin, with its sweet, orange-like facet commingles with orange blossom, with its lovely floral and creamy sweetness, as well as a camphoraceous, indolic, orangey neroli. This citrus melange interplays with a metallic, mineral concoction of musty iron and acrid, fireworks-like, burnt gunpowder. This somewhat odd opening drifts to the heart. Here, wonderfully warm spices, to wit, cinnamon, with its spicy semi-sweetness, nutmeg, with its subtle, cinnamon-like spiciness, cardamon with its aromatic spicy, nutty and anise character, as well as clove, with its earthy spiciness, intermingle with menthol from cedar leaves. This enticing minty coolness interplays nicely with the warm spices, and encases the intriguing opening. A woody undercurrent of dry, cedar shavings and creamy sandalwood carry the exotic melange to the mollifying base. Here, a somewhat powdery, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, teams up with the green, yet clean, earthiness of vetiver to foster a sedate drydown. This well-blended and interestingly distinctive composition has average projection and longevity.

&

Zirh Ikon by Zirh
    - One is initially treated to a zesty lemonade. Tart and tangy lemon interplays with davona flower, with its sweetly fruity aspect, and cardamon, with its mildly spicy, anise-tinged facets. Ginger sprinkles the melange with its peppery, lemony and green character. Transitioning to the heart, the citric brew succumbs to the darker aspects of the scent. Labdanum infuses its resinous, myrhh-like and slightly leather-like facets, commingling with a raw, spicy cinnamon as well as clove buds, with their charred-wood and smokey aroma. An undercurrent of a citrusy, pine-like frankincense and earthy, green vetiver adds to the mystical aura, and flows to the base. Here, a rich amber alters the accommodating frankincense, which has come into its own, to a darker character. And, an almost creamy cedarwood intermingles with a balsamic patchouli, which imparts its earthiness coupled with camphoraceous and mossy nuances. An inviting drydown ensues. This manly composition is well blended, and challenges the domain of niche. A fall and winter scent, this spicy and dark fragrance has good projection, a 2-3 hour, scent cloud, and longevity, about 8 hours. Given its inexpensive price, it is a welcomed addition to one's fragrance wardrobe.

&

Dependent

wear whatever you want. whatever pleases your nose
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Oh my, were you describing me? Uncanny resemblance, really. I'd look for something elegant & understated, not too sweet. Notes of lavender or violet leaf would work. As would pine, oakmoss and woodsmoke.

Great call by Duke Hunt on Jicky EDP & Histoires de Parfums 1725. Perfect for the gentleman imo.

Add Guerlain Mitsouko, probably one of the last classic chypres that still smells like one.

And with the approaching winter, try Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles or Dior Fahrenheit.

Gucci Pour Homme II
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I don't have Third Man anymore, but I know a lot of people like it. It's very mature and paternal which I usually like, but it was just a tad too sweet for me. I agree that Egoiste is also among the best (though also heaviest) in this family.

One of my all time fall/winter favorites, Burberry London as mentioned above, is a quiet, introspective sweet wood scent, which I think has a certain degree of class. It's a bit academic / intellectual, and while some people claim bad longevity with it, I find it lasts reasonably well. Their whole line isn't too expensive, and they all come in a 30 mL size which you can find fairly cheap online. Zirh Corduroy is also incredibly cheap and along very similar lines, though is more desserty and less woody. So is Hermes Rocabar, but this is a fair amount more expensive.

You could also consider one of Caron's others, Pour Un Homme. I really don't like the opening because of all the lavender, but eventually it turns into a warm friendly mix of vanilla, woods and florals.

And as for some of the other suggestions I do like Obsession, but I would warn you that Jaipur is very densely, heavily sweet. Gucci Pour Homme II is very good but is a bit less woody, sort of an abstract, less real-world-objects type of smell. Gucci Pour Homme I is (much) more woody, and less sweet with a fair amount of smokiness as well.

Boss Bottled

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you want something sophisticated and mature, but at the same time won't be considered old-man scent,

go with Sycomore by Chanel

Chanel Platinum Egoiste - Sophisticated, clean cut style. Popular with the ladies. Good longevity.

Baldessarini - Might fit your more mature outlook.

Slightly more money, but less common:

Incense Avignon

Gris Clair

Five O'Clock au Gingembre

Arpege by Lanvin
    Hugo Boss Baldessarini
    Versace Man
    YSL L'Homme
    Burberry Men
    Tremendous forMen
    Lacoste Elegance
    "Rock 'n Roll: The most brutal, ugly, desperate, vicious form of expression it has been my misfortune to hear."
    Frank Sinatra (The Misguided).

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (The Enlightened).

Devon_S

Hello again! Thanks for all the advice; this is a really friendly and helpful community! I got exactly what I was looking for and so I've chosen a few out and looking at them now, also thank you for the compliment on my taste

How about Dior Homme?

$$$$

$$

$