Code of Conduct

Thread: Oud Wood

Default Oud Wood

I have a sample of Tom Ford's Oud Wood. This is the first oud I've ever worn...is it normally this sweet? Most reviews I've seen talks about how dark, rich, smokey, and (obviously) wood-y this scent is, but in the first 30 minutes it's been on me...it's just very, very sweet. A few reviews talks about it being milky--I would agree with that. But I'm not getting dark, smokey wood yet. Will that develop over time? Is this opening normal for Oud Wood?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Oud Wood

I'd say the Tom Ford is about middle-ground, and a good intro to basic oud-type smells. There are many types of oud and the Tom Ford reproduces a bit of most types, without going too much in one direction or the other. Some oud perfumes are much drier and woodier, and some are smoother and sweeter. And yes, you'll find sweetness in most ouds (smell M7, which has more fruits). Hedonist or some other Arabian BNer will explain things here, but in general, oud contains a number of different notes: woody, mineral, oily, sweet fruity, etc.

Smokey notes, per se, are not part of regular oud. But in Arabian countries oud chips are often burnt, which gives a different smell, dry woody smoky (and not much sweet). If you are looking for this type of oud, you should rather check Dior Leather oud, which tries to reproduce exactly this type of scent, without sweetness. Some Montales also tone down the sweetness and amp up the mineral-woody notes (eg Black Aoud). But most ouds will have some sweetness.

cacio

Don't get me wrong...I kind of like it...it just wasn't exactly what I expected. I guess I always thought ouds were darker. Sort of like when you order an unsweetened iced tea at a restaurant...but you get sweetened instead. That initial taste is quite a shock.

Meanwhile...I think Oud Wood is throwing me off altogether...because I've only been wearing it for 90 minutes, and it already seems like it's gone. Now, I'm a TF fan, and every other scent of his have lasted 8-10 hours easy on me, but this one seems to be missing something. I'll finish the sample and see if anything changes. Fortunately, I also have numerous other ouds waiting to be tested (including the original M7). Thanks for the lesson!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Oud Wood is quite long lasting on me, so perhaps it's olfactory fatigue. Or perhaps not, sometimes longevity varies a lot across people.

cacio

Banned

Oud has different developments and smells.

Long lasting and not sweet.

for swap/sale:

Long lasting and not exceptionally sweet.

Dependent

not sweet at all
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I don't like the sweet, oily, somehow sticky ouds. I prefer the dry, woody ones. And to my nose oud wood is not vry sweet but rather on the woody side, slightly smoky.

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    not sweet at all
    Agree.

This is so weird. I know it's Oud Wood because it's in an "official" sample bottle that's labeled and everything. It's not like I bought this from some dude who decanted it incorrectly on ebay. Yet, I've worn it 3 times now, and all my wife and I get is sweetness. There's zero smoke. Zero wood. It smells like sugary milk...and is gone in less than two hours. Maybe I'll just put Oud Wood in the "Try Again in a Couple Years" list and get a different sample.

Thanks!!

Are you dabbing this or spraying it? I have Oud Wood and you really need to spray this one to bring out its darker smokier side.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Are you dabbing this or spraying it? I have Oud Wood and you really need to spray this one to bring out its darker smokier side.

Spraying.

Not sure if oud is normally very sweet or not, but a fellow BNer sent me a sample of Bond No.9 NY Oud, and the stuff is extremely sweet (not my taste, but it's not a bad smelling fragrance...6 hours later).

i actually love this one and bought a 1.7 and have to tell you......I get a sweet "milky" oud scent as you put it.
    it definitely lasts forever on me as well and aside from Tobacco Vanille it is my favorite of his Blends.
    No worries, i have also heard that Tom Ford has "Batches" so maybe we have some from the same batch.
    Has anyone else heard this to confirm or deny it?
    thanks!

Purchased the Oud Wood this weekend. Also noticed a pleasant slightly sweet scent at open. However the dark wood is much more prominent on my skin.

---------

Update
    Applied at 7 am and still going at 8 pm. Longevity is awesome.
    Last edited by baldheadjim; 2nd October 2012 at 12:59 AM.

Silly question here. How many sprays of Oud Wood do you use?

As much as I enjoy it, I'm not sure how much to apply beyond a standard 2-3 squirts. Yes, it's long-lasting, but it's quiet and seems to remain pretty close to the skin for those 6-8 hours. For it's price, am I wrong to ask for a little more projection?

Do I need to ramp up the squirts or is this just a tired nose?

Teach13, I agree. I don't pick up on a smokiness. For me, the amber and vanilla combine for the soft, woody "sweetness" that comes off milky for me (and maybe you, too).

I have pretty limited experience with ouds, but form what I've gathered the intensity of the oud wood is HEAVILY dependent on the frag. Perhaps the TF just isn't the kind of oud you were looking for. If you want a really good idea of what real oud is like give Montale a try. Many of their frags are very rose based as well, so if that's not your bag look for one that's more or less just oud. They make a shitzillion ouds. Another one I'd recommend is Acqua Di Parma Oud. The lightness of the citrus notes really lets the oud come to the forefront. Of course there's always arabian oud oil.

treeman5823

I haven't smelled Oud Wood on skin, so I can't comment on its sweetness. I can tell you, however, that it smells true to the source, i.e. old band aids, turned fruit, and leather.