Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default I'm addicted to designer.

I cant seem to stop buying designer clothes. In the past 15 days Ive spent $2100 (5 polos and 1 belt) on Gucci. I should be more responsible with my money, but my bills are always paid ahead of time. Its just I always force myself to think of something to buy. I'm hoping this latest purchase will end it for a while, but I doubt it. It started with colognes a few years ago now its clothes. Anyone else this bad...or worse?
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Default Re: I'm addicted to designer.

Thats how it should be.
    for swap/sale:

The formal and semi-formal events in my line of work always keep me updating my wardrobe, thus designer clothes are always needed in order to look sharp on any given occasion.

I buy a lot of clothes and can spend thousands of dollars/pounds/euros at a time. I don't see it as a problem as I can afford to and if you can afford to then it's not a problem. If you can't afford it then definitely stop if you can't do it on your own then seek help. You don't want to get into debt over clothes/perfume it's not worth it.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    That's how it should be.
    Agree.

I'm not sure I'd spend $2100 on polos but that's just me
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Jimi,

Of course, this depends on your income, current & known future expenses (a '68 sunburst Stratocaster?), and how much you want to put away for emergency and retirement funds. Have you created a budget for yourself, and if so, does this fit into it?

At this rate, you'll have a beautiful $50,000 wardrobe by next fall. Styles will have changed and maybe your fashion preferences and body. What's a bit concerning is that you say that you SEARCH for ways to spend your hard-earned money. It's impossible to know whether this stems from boredom, impulsivity, mania or "addiction". For all we know, you could be a new grad making his first "real" paychecks and just got really excited about those extra zeros.

But, if deep inside you believe that this is a habit that could get out of control and hurt you, but aren't ready to seek counseling, you may want to check in with your fellow basenoters over in the "fragrance abuse clinic" forum (fragrance, clothing....same thing when it comes to overspending). They might have some advice on how to nip this potential problem in the bud before it quietly snowballs out of control.

Our brain is dangerous, lol! Sometimes it needs distraction with healthy alternatives for body & soul that aren't as financially demanding as the House of Gucci, (e.g. joining a sports league, getting into the swing of a regular exercise regime, taking yoga/art/music/singing classes). In addition, these things get you out with other social people while reducing the amount of time you've got available for shopping.

Most of us care more about the person, than the clothing. $50 shirt vs $500 shirt, makes no difference to me if the man wearing it is kind, smart, fun and NOT going broke due to bad spending choices. I have a friend (with a shoe and "sale" collection) who loads herself up at night on Ambien because she worries so much about collection agencies and her dropping credit score. I know that she'd trade all of those beautiful shoes for peace of mind and a good night's sleep.

Good luck.

Guest 3

Spend some, save some, give some. Didn't Rockefeller say that? Something like that? If you truly feel that you can't stop spending - that is is an addiction - then you might want to get some help.

Banned

As long as you find it practical and not just splurging, then enjoy your purchases.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you have the money, it isn't as much of a problem than if you were borrowing it.

What helps me is to make a list of everything I want to buy (short of food and medicine). I do not buy anything on that list until 2 weeks later. I look at the list 2 weeks later and decide if I still want what I listed. This helps impulse buys tremendously.

You and me both. I purchased a Burberry wallet, decided it was too big, then purchased a Christian Dior card holder. I'm also staring at 3 Citizen watches...But I do purchase most of my accessories at discounted prices.

Basenotes Member

Thanks everyone for responses and support. Speaking of wallets btw I have a Louis Vuitton florin wallet....$614.. Dont even let me get started on belts. And I always buy at full retail (usually straight from the designer). I did however, make a $1000+ Burberry purchase a few months ago, but I got it at 20% off at Nordstrom from my sisters discount. Anyway I think my "problem" is a little more controlled. I dont feel like I NEED more designer items...at the moment at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw a little background but I am a 23 year old college drop out with a decent job that pays my bills and lends me to be able to buy most of the things I want. I ALWAYS make sure bills come first. I realize I'm the same person no matter what I wear, but I truely love the quality and styles of the clothes I wear. My personality comes first, but I still like to look good in nice clothes. My philosophy is people are experiences. A great person (working on it) who smells great and dresses nice is a great experience.

*Peace and Happiness*

I think the real problem is that you search for something to buy. But really, 2100 on polos that probably look like any other?

Basenotes Member

$1800 on polos. $300 on a belt... Gucci polos DO NOT look like others. Anyway yes the biggest problem is that I LOOK for things to buy. I'm slowly getting over it though. I keep going over various designer websites and nothing other than what I already have interests me really.

*Peace and Happiness*

Blog Entries

You can have custom suits made from fantastic fabrics for less than the cost of a designer suit.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    You can have custom suits made from fantastic fabrics for less than the cost of a designer suit.
    Sorry to bump this thread again, but, as much as I like designer clothes, custom made outfits, especially suits, are also a good idea. Once I found the good fabric and the tailor was also skilled, the experiences regarding a few custom-made suits in my wardrobe were very good and had, at an affordable cost, a style not always likely to find in most clothing stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    The formal and semi-formal events in my line of work always keep me updating my wardrobe, thus designer clothes are always needed in order to look sharp on any given occasion.
    Is this a paragraph from 'American Psycho'?

Quote Originally Posted by jimihendrix1117 View Post
    $1800 on polos. $300 on a belt... Gucci polos DO NOT look like others. Anyway yes the biggest problem is that I LOOK for things to buy. I'm slowly getting over it though. I keep going over various designer websites and nothing other than what I already have interests me really.
    Please tell me it's not the monogrammed ones at least

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Switch245 View Post
    Please tell me it's not the monogrammed ones at least
    HAHAHAHA! Two of them to be exact...and the also the the two crest polos that are currently on the website. The other polo is diamante from the 2011 for some reason....Gucci sent me the wrong polo, which initially started the whole "me spending so much money" fiasco.

*Peace and Happiness*

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Is this a paragraph from 'American Psycho'?
    hahaha

"Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark..."

Sorry guys, not trying to tease anyone in this conversation! Just enjoying the silly wit of Bret Easten Ellis' "American Psycho" business card scene.

Carry on.

Basenotes Institution

Schilling, thanks for posting your thoughts in #7. Excellent advice.

Most of us care more about the person, than the clothing. $50 shirt vs $500 shirt, makes no difference to me if the man wearing it is kind, smart, fun and NOT going broke due to bad spending choices.Somebody I knew used to say "We will sleep naked".
    Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

I spend lots of money on nice clothes but I rarely pay full price. I know the stores I shop and the days and months they have sales. For instance, just last weekend Dillards Department store was clearing out all of their summer polos and summer long sleeve shirts so they were clearance price plus 40% off. I visited all 5 Orlando Dillard stores over the weekend and got about $1500 to $2000 worth of clothes for $400. I am not into real expensive stuff. Just mid price styles like Boss, Claiborne, Murano, Perry Ellis, Kenneth Cole, DNKY etc. The $100 - $150 a shirt price range. I also wear alot of purple and lite blue color shirts which alot of men don't like to wear, so I always have lots of stuff I like on the sale and clearance racks.

Basenotes Member

Well guys just when I thought it was over....bought yet another Gucci polo (along with Angel Pure Leather and ToF Angel). I keep telling myself I'm done and then something else comes up. I at least now I have a list that has 1 more Gucci polo, 2 long sleeve Gucci shirts, maybe a Burberry coat, 1 or 2 more pairs of Burberry jeans, and a few more pairs of Burberry underwear. After that I SHOULD really be done. Btw I recently saw a thread where the poster cant keep up with fashion trends...keep in mind I'm the exact opposite I am willing to spend a lot of money for clothes that not a lot of people wear. I dont like to be different so to speak, I just dont like to look like everyone else.
    Last edited by jimihendrix1117; 15th October 2012 at 11:26 AM.

*Peace and Happiness*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimihendrix1117 View Post
    Btw I recently saw a thread where the poster cant keep up with fashion trends...keep in mind I'm the exact opposite I am willing to spend a lot of money for clothes that not a lot of people wear. I dont like to be different so to speak, I just dont like to look like everyone else.
    Unless you move to a different region or country, chances are you are going to "look like everybody else" no matter how much you spend on your wardrobe. But if it makes you happy that you know what brands that you are wearing (unless there is a label on something, I doubt an everyday person can say "oh, he's wearing a Gucci shirt), then that's your joy and personal pleasure.

Wallmart is good for filling my closet with inexpensive basics. I then top that off with real jewelry and designer acessories. No one knows the difference and I have more money and free time for me.

Blog Entries

Ralph Lauren for men and Dior for Ladies.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 25th November 2012 at 02:33 AM.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Basenotes Junkie

I can identify with the OP. Anyone else feel the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    I can identify with the OP. Anyone else feel the same?
    Not I!

Some designer fare is better than others, but some of it is outright trash sold at outrageous markups. Pay for quality, not for a name, I say.

I think the above-all consideration with the stylishness of clothing is fit, followed by construction and materials, and you don't need to look at overhyped, overpriced designers to get excellence in any of those categories. If anything, designer clothes often subpar materials and construction buoyed by brand appeal, and even when you do find good materials and construction, they come at a premium.

Find yourself a good tailor and do your research to find which manufacturers are doing good work. In the age of the Internet, that's easier than ever before.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I buy Express mens clothing, almost exclusively. To me, it looks designer but without the price. When I shop designer, it seems like they're trying way too hard and the clothing just looks desperate to me. There is a lot of great minimalist designers out there but way too much flashy nonsense gets in the way.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren