Code of Conduct

Default Orientals: Universally Unisex?

I've been thinking about seeing what BN members think about this one. Those of you who have read my posts know I'm prepared to wear anything 'pour femme,' as long as I like it, and it doesn't seem too cutesy-teenage-girl (although I've taken to wearing 'Nina' on occasion...) and, thus far, my experience has been that being a classic oriental is one of the biggest factors which, for me, will give a fragrance gender-bending potential.

From Tabu, though Jungle (El Tigre for preference) to Opium, and so many others. While at the same time so many of my 'masculine,' orientals are constantly being purlioned by my wife.

Generally speaking when I read about a women's oriental fragrance and smell it if it doesn't feel like I could wear it a look at the pyramid will show it up as something else.

How many others experience this? And for the experts - is the 'basic concept' of an oriental fragrance indeed unisex?

Sound Scents

Default Re: Orientals: Universally Unisex?

The fragrances themselves have no gender.... It pretty much is all in the way they are marketed.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

For me it depends on the notes, a oriental floral scent that has feminine popular notes l would steer clear from but a oriental woody frag would be ok. With the rise of unisex scents the line is becoming blurred so I say only wear what you are comfortable with.

I tend to agree both that all fragrance are basically unisex and also that Orientals tend to generally work well for any gender.

Orientals definitely work well for men - it would indeed be hard to assign a gender to an oriental. Many of us know Tania Sanchez's funny review of Stetson original...

cacio

Agree that many orientals work well for men.

Orientals are generally unisex, I would say. Especially these sub groups: Fougere oriental, Spicy oriental, Woody oriental, and even Vanilla oriental.

I wish I could find an oriental with a prominent leather note, that would really be something.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The fragrances themselves have no gender.... It pretty much is all in the way they are marketed.
    Generally I agree with this with few exceptions such as Kouros, Fahrenheit, Zino and so on

Any thoughts here on why the oriental style only came to be marketed to men so late in modern Western perfume history? Old Spice (originally launched as a women's scent!) is the first I'm aware of (1937) - if you discount the one-of-a-kind Hammam Bouquet - and Kanon was the first truly sweet oriental in 1966. Together with Habit Rouge (1964) and a few others this seems to mark a major turning point (reflecting a transformation in gender perceptions) climaxing, ironically, in the power scent 80s (baroque androgyny?) only to radically break off with aquatic near-hegemony in the 90s (minimalist androgyny). After that, orientals aimed at men seem to have largely been restrained by the niche/aquatic aesthetics of transparency and non-sweetness, with a much stronger focus on incense / wood / iso-e-super complexes plus florals / spice (Idole, Hotel Costes, the whole Oud schtick). Correct assessment? I'd welcome your thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post

I wish I could find an oriental with a prominent leather note, that would really be something.
    Versailles pour homme for an opulent vintage style, Cuir Mauresque or Cuir Ottoman for something more modern, but luscious, Montale Cuir d'Arabie for a sparse, unsweet leather-oriental.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

double post XD

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Versailles pour homme for an opulent vintage style, Cuir Mauresque or Cuir Ottoman for something more modern, but luscious, Montale Cuir d'Arabie for a sparse, unsweet leather-oriental.
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! Versailles and Cuir Mauresque didn't work for me but I will definitely seek out the two others for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Orientals are generally unisex, I would say. Especially these sub groups: Fougere oriental, Spicy oriental, Woody oriental, and even Vanilla oriental.

Try Caron Tabac Blond and Guerlain Cuir Beluga.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."