Code of Conduct

Default how do you define beauty?

hey friends!
    let me ask your definition of beauty You must have thought of it once at least

Default Re: how do you define beauty?

Beauty to me is the quality present in the thing or person that gives deep satisfaction of mind or intense pleasure.

wow nice definition..

i know a few:
    Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
    and
    Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror.

"That is beautiful which is produced by the inner need, which springs from the soul." "Concerning the Spiritual in Art," Wassily Kandinsky, 1914 ...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'll add some of my own thoughts: I suspect that we perceive something as beautiful if it strikes a responsive chord of affinity within our beings - maybe another way of saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Beauty feeds the soul.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

thanks for adding good thoughts

Beauty comes in various forms, and it is viewed differently from person to person. My idea of beauty is someone who may or may not be "pretty", but yet they take care of themselves (skin, hair, nails), and have a confidence to go along with their overall look. You do not have to look like a model to be beautiful. It is all in the way you carry and present yourself. However, what is noted as being beautiful to one person, may be contrary to what is beautiful to another person. The bottom line is, do you feel beautiful? Whatever your answer is to that, is the true answer. We are what we feel we are, and everyone else's opinion is simply that, an opinion.

Owning your looks, I think, knowing who you are and what you like, being comfortable with that and making the best of it.

There is such a thing as physical beauty as well, of course - good bone structure and so on - but that's all genetical coincidence, when you get down to it, and there is so much more to it than that.

Regularity of features but also a certain luminosity, an aura that makes you enamoured of that person/object/animal .

Far beyond physical attractiveness, to me at least, beauty is a combination of (not necessarily conventional "good looks") expressive, witty or charming features, add a touch of intelligence, a sense of style, a certain self-confidence (but not necessarily that kind of self-confidence generic self-help books promote), a certain open-mindedness, combined with a care for both attire and personality

What do intelligence, sense of style, wit etc. have in common with beauty? Almost anything since, while these qualities do not necessarily generate or enhance physical beauty, they do add up to the overall qualities which eventually make me perceive a person as both beautiful, but also charming and complex

I have always felt that it's anything and everything that delights the senses.

Beauty is that which is emotionally or aesthetically enjoyable.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

From barely acknowledged to instantly life changing a definitive description of the essence of beauty seems as impossible to put into words as would be an all-encompassing description of time.

With a tip of the hat to St. Augustine, I seem to know intimately what both beauty is and what time is. But ask me to explain either and I am not fully able. All I really know is what they appear to do.
    Last edited by kbe; 14th November 2011 at 04:00 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Beauty lies in the eyes of its viewer; some may see a mountain beautiful while some find the sea.

Purity, strength, cleanliness, consistency, logic

Beauty = femininity
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

True beauty makes your heart skip a beat and then beat faster for a while!
    It can literally take your breath away.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

As the famous saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me their are two main types of beauty - one is physical and the other inner. To me inner beauty will always prevail over physical beauty. I once heard a saying:

"Its beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart."

Claudia Cardinale in 'Once Upon a Time in the West'

we were taught that "beauty" comes from within.... the character that you build within shows on the outside.

Can be defined in many ways...

It's bful when my 7 yr old niece throws her arms around my neck when I lift her up sleeping from bed in the mornings, eyes still closed...

With rgds to women, this which I heard yrs back is the most well defined saying - 'A girl, beautiful, is not in her face, but in her ways...'
    Holds good only for a very few women I know. - my grandmother, my mother, my mom's first younger sister, my 1 wonderful friend in India are in this coveted list...I agree that there are many more women that fall in that category, but those are the few I had the fortune to know really well.
    Last edited by badarun; 16th April 2013 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

I think that both beauty and our recognition of it arise from something very beautiful discovered by this woman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether%27s_theorem

I find it oddly satisfying - or better still, beautiful - that a woman discovered it.

"In the judgment of the most competent living mathematicians, Fräulein Noether was the most significant creative mathematical genius thus far produced since the higher education of women began. In the realm of algebra, in which the most gifted mathematicians have been busy for centuries, she discovered methods which have proved of enormous importance in the development of the present-day younger generation of mathematicians. Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas. One seeks the most general ideas of operation which will bring together in simple, logical and unified form the largest possible circle of formal relationships. In this effort toward logical beauty spiritual formulas are discovered necessary for the deeper penetration into the laws of nature."

-Albert Einstein
    http://www.findingpatterns.info/scra...reciation.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/science/emmy-noether-the-most-significant-mathematician-youve-never-heard-of.html

If I had to talk about what she did in a way that made sense here, and was still accurate, it would be that, when we say "timeless beauty", she saw that there is actually a deep and beautiful relationship between "timeless" and "beauty".

Quote Originally Posted by iris_983 View Post
    Beauty = femininity
    +1... You see so many women today with a masculine edge...big turn off.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The poet Keats saw it this way:

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all/Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know"
    Last edited by kbe; 10th February 2014 at 11:24 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon