Code of Conduct

Default What are your thoughts on Mark Birley's offerings?

Either Mark Birley for men or Charles Street, opinions on either?

Default Re: What are your thoughts on Mark Birley's offerings?

Tried the first one and didn't care for it at all.

Charles street felt like Tuscan Leather but with the raspberry note dialled up and the leather note dialled down. I like TL but not this offering.

I have Charles Street. As Jack said, it's similar (very similar) to Tuscan Leather. I like, but don't love it (I love TL). HAve worn it a couple of times to work.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Mediocre - not bottle worthy

Sound Scents

I like and own Mark Birley for Men, finding it quite versatile. Charles Street was disappointing due primarily to the raspberry just not fitting the rest of the composition, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Enygma by Onyrico

Had hoped for so much more. MB for Men smells like lemon scouring powder to me and Charles St. is too fruity.

As the others mentioned Charles Street is like a dialed back Tuscan Leather. I like it because it's more versatile than the latter.

MB for men is a nice enough scent, but it's fairly conservative and most here would probably find it best suited for the office (if even that).
    Currently wearing: Leather Oud by Floris

Mark Birley for Men is.. imo ..one of the weakest lasting fragrances out there. Very poor projection and not a minute of enjoyment anywhere in its fleeting development.
    I have yet to try Charles Street and like the idea of raspberry on a bed of leather. Some say a softer version of TL which got my attention. A sample for sure very soon . Though not expecting much if akin to my experience with its sibling.

I like Mark Birley for Men. Very innovative use of carrot oil to add to the cool mineral quality of this fresh scent. Anything made by the legendary nose, Pierre Bourdon (cool water, kouros, etc) is going to be exceptional. This is! But it's getting a little dated as their are many of these types of scents on the market now and the newer aroma chemicals give the new stuff bounce and longer life.

Charles Street was not a compelling leather fragrance for me. Test it, see if you like it.
    SUMMER COLOGNES: Gabriella Chieffo Aquasala • Dior Homme Cologne • Boudicea the Victorious Oxford • Penhaligons Lothair • Molecule 01 • Azemour les Orangers • AdP Essenza • Byredo Sunday Cologne • Ginepro di Sardegna • Maestrale • Iris Nazarena • Versace Pour Homme •

I have a charles street sample. It really is a watered down TL. Not bad for the price, considering how expensive TL is...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real, unbiased data on fragrance potency! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPindex

I sampled both Mark Birley frags. Charles St. is definitely a good one to check out if you like Tuscan Leather. I agree that it is also more versatile, since it seems a bit lighter, and I could see TL being cloying in the work environment. The original Mark Birley has a unique carrot note that gives it a nice unique smell. Kinda light, but I'd say a good alternative if you like scents in the vein of Terre D' Hermes.

I like Mark Birley for Men; true that it's quite fleeting. It's one of the few that I reapply if I'm going out after work. It's also one of the only scents that has produced a nice compliment, so there is that...

Haven't tried Charles St; but I HATE with a white-hot passion anything raspberry, so I'll give it a miss.

I prefer Charles Street over the Mark Birley. It's like a lighter version of Tuscan Leather, which is also very good.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Power Where You Need It

I'm a big fan of Mark Birley For Men which is one of the first fragrances released by the duo Malle/Bourdon. it is indeed exceptional if you're into understated elegance and discreet scents. Charles Street, I like it as well but not enough to splurge on a full bottle. Comparisons with Tuscan Leather make sense...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Charles street all the way. It smells like a rasberry ashtray at first, but I love it. The bottle is cool too. A much cheaper Tuscan leather...with more raspberry. The longevity can't touch Tom ford though.

Understand that Mark Birley for Men is chamber music in a world full of rock bands. It causes some people to automatically dismiss it, while some of us embrace it for that very reason. Any longevity concerns can be conquered simply by spraying some on clothing.

While Mark Birley for Men suggests sophisticated charm, Charles Street evokes the attitude of a younger brother looking for a playful night on the town.

I really like Charles Street and have considered buying a full bottle on more than one occasion.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Tonka Imperiale
    3. Dior Homme
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Oud Wood
    6. Ambre Nuit
    7. L'air Du Desert Marocain
    8. Noir de Noir
    9. Apple Brandy
    10.Straight to Heaven

Basenotes Member

I don't like MB, but I enjoy Charles Street. I haven't bought a bottle of it, but if I did it would be for wearing around people who "don't like fragrances" so I can be as subtle as possible.

I love it! I've used up my sample already and am trying to track down a decant. No luck yet.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking