Code of Conduct

Default Do you ever find yourself trying to like a frag more because of whom it's by?

Some fragrances I find quite average, but because they are by a certain House/Designer I find myself giving them more credit. If the same fragrance were made by a very cheap brand then I probably wouldn't give it the time of day.

Anybody else do this?

Default Re: Do you ever find yourself trying to like a frag more because of whom it's by?

You've pretty much defined fanboyism/fangirlism.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Do you ever find yourself trying to like a frag more because of whom it's by?

Couldn't possibly admit to doing that HERE, in front of EVERYONE.

What a question!

Oh, alright. Jacques Guerlain.

Maybe it's because I'm newer to this hobby, but I really just judge each fragrance on it's own merit (smell, longevity, projection, etc.) and don't really care who it's by or how much it costs. I couldn't care less if it's praised or shunned by the great majority. If it's a 9 or 10/10 fragrance to ME, and I know I'll really enjoy it for a long time, then it's something I'll find a way to purchase, whether it's super cheap or really expensive (the expensive ones I just have to look for splits or save up for).

Although, I have caught myself saying..."well, but it's not too bad for the price" when it comes to bargain buys. Still though, I won't purchase a frag, even if it's ridiculously cheap, unless I really, really like it.

Sound Scents

Never.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Basenotes Plus

I may give a fragrance a second or third look because of whom the house may be, but it will not sway me to purchase if it just isn't for me.

I'm not suggesting that I would ever buy anything I don't like, it's more like what PalmBeach said about giving recognized fragrances more of a chnace, wheras I may just disguard if it wasn't so acclaimed.

If the fragrance compliments or fits in my collection it I purchase it no matter whom it's by.

I certainly spend more time smelling a frag if it's from a famous brand I like. But sooner or later, if quality goes down, the brand goes down in my ranking (Amouage anybody?)

cacio

Yes, I have. Not enough to justify purchasing, but enough to realize, weeks later, that I really didn't enjoy the scent as much as I thought I did.

Kind of. Let's say there's a house that's already produced 2-3 scents that I really, really like. If my first impression of their next scent isn't favorable, I'm more likely to give it a few more wears before offically making up my mind; whereas, if it's a new house (or a house that has failed to impress me in the past), I may give up on it after 1-2 wears. I will not, however, buy a frag just BECAUSE it comes from a house I like, nor will I convince myself to like one just BECAUSE it comes from a house I like. I'll just give it a few more opportunities to change my mind.

I'll also do this: Let's say that I'm a big Tom Ford fan. Now let's say that I've never tried a vetiver-heavy frag before and am looking to give it a try. Because I'm a fan of Tom Ford, Grey Vetiver will probably be the first one I'll try.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Dependent

nope!!! especially tom ford!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Blog Entries

Original Poison i have tried and tried several times to like it, have bought several bottles, but it just turns to old cat wee-wee on me, and i can detect nothing else after i smell that. So i get rid of it again

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Some fragrances I find quite average, but because they are by a certain House/Designer I find myself giving them more credit. If the same fragrance were made by a very cheap brand then I probably wouldn't give it the time of day.

Anybody else do this?
    What you've described sounds like perfume snobbery.

No, I don't do this.

Banned

I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
    What you've described sounds like perfume snobbery.

No, I don't do this.
    No. not if you read properly and my subsequent post. I was saying that I give fragrances I don't like a second chance if they are well reviewed and by revered brands. I wouldn't buy them if I didn't like them regardless of who they why by.. If I smelt the same fragrance and didn't like it but it was by produced by Lidl then it wouldn't get the second chance.

If you were trialing a highly acclaimed footballer from Chelsea or one from Accrington Stanley that nobody liked or had even heard of, which one would you be most likely to give the benefit of the doubt?

Human nature = Yes, Snobbery = No!

Blog Entries

I don't give a rat's behind who makes it. I hate most Creeds and Bond no. 9's and LOVE Bath & Body Works Classic for Men. I have wondered about some frags that are talked to death here...Avantus I tried twice b/c I figured I MUST be missing something...I still hate it. I tried Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilie twice b/c a respected Basenotes member told me to give it a second chance in cooler weather...I did, and I changed my mind...I do appreciate it now. BUT house means nothing to me except if I like 4 or 5 frags from a house, I will try more from that house (Montale, Mona d'Orio, Penhaligon's.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 27th September 2012 at 05:42 PM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I don't give a rat's behind who makes it. I hate most Creeds and Bond no. 9's and LOVE Bath & Body Works Classic for Men. I have wondered about some frags that are talked to death here...Avantus I tried twice b/c I figured I MUST be missing something...I still hate it. I tried Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilie twice b/c a respected Basenotes member told me to give it a second chance in cooler weather...I did, and I changed my mind...I do appreciate it now. BUT house means nothing to me except if I like 4 or 5 frags from a house, I will try more from that house (Montale, Mona d'Orio, Penhaligon's.
    I'm with you on Aventus, I think it's awful!

Rather not, I happened to like anything from mass market to designer and niche scents, irrespective of the designer, brand, ownership, marketing etc. behind it.

I do get disappointed when brands I like bring out a perfume that I dislike but I don't force myself to wear it. However I find I am a little snooty when it comes to fragrances I won't touch anything by people I dislike this includes all celebrity scents and anything by Avon, Marc Jacobs or Stella McCartney I'm sure there are others I have forgotten. I know it's terrible but I couldn't bring myself to wear these fragrances.

Last edited by L'enfer; 27th September 2012 at 07:31 PM.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    I do get disappointed when brands I like bring out a perfume that I dislike but I don't force myself to wear it. However I find I am a little snooty when it comes to fragrances I won't touch anything by people I dislike this includes all celebrity scents and anything by Avon, Marc Jacobs or Stella McCartney I'm sure there are others I have forgotten. I know it's terrible but I couldn't bring myself to wear these fragrances.

I'm like that too...I know it isn't fair, but the frags that carry celebrities names I pass on. If you can't sell the juice on smell alone, adding some celebs name won't make me try it. Ok...I once tried Sean John Unforgivable, but I wouldn't buy it.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I do tend to take longer to make up my mind when a fragrance receives rave reviews here but that I didn't care for, particularly when it is a niche fragrance. I am much quicker to pass judgment on a designer offering.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Never.
    +1.....

Basenotes Plus

No. Life's too short for that. Esp with thousands of fragrances to smell...

I'm actually kind of relieved when I smell something and don't like it. Especially when it's something I expect to like because of the perfumer or the house. Easier on the bank account.

But my tastes (and my bottles) run from The Body Shop to Amouage to Jovan, and I'm ok with that.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Regrettably, yes. Particularly with the Chanel Allure line.