Code of Conduct

Default Skin vs. paper...what a difference!

Hello Basenotes!

I have been making my way into the fragrance world (addiction?) for several months now, and graduated from Nautica Voyage, Chrome, ADG to Terre D'Hermes, Aventus, Dior, Vintage Guerlain masterpieces and more.

I have had a decant of New Haarlem in my closet for about 4 months. The bottle smells so strong and syrupy, I didnt dare wear it in the summer heat. I had almost given it away many times.

I sprayed it on some paper to see how it would develop, and it was an awful, syrupy, headache-inducing experience for me.

Fast-forward to a cool September Sunday. I decided i had to give it one more chance...and boy, what a fragrance! On the skin it is a beautiful coffee, chocolate and more that lasted all day, and garnered compliments from my wife and 2 others.

I must say, NH and A*men were by far the most different to me on paper vs. skin, which thankfully i ended up giving a chance for a full wear, and now enjoy immensely!

P.S. While I'm here, can someone explain H.M. from Hanae Mori to me? Just sickly sweet lemon sugary nonsense. After two wears i am not sure what to make of it.

edit: Sorry for not searching. Stupid move. I see a few threads about his already as would be expected. Either way, glad i poked my head out instead of lurking the forums
    Last edited by axmaster45; 24th September 2012 at 03:49 AM.

Default Re: Skin vs. paper...what a difference!

I always make sure that when I am at a store and I want to try out a fragrance before I buy it that I apply it on my skin.

Basenotes Plus

Same as hednic, never purchase anything at a store without spraying on my skin. If it a store in the mall, I may walk around for an hour or so to see how it dries down before making a decision. Sometimes I will leave the store and purchase another day, so I can get the full dry down.

True, but i dont think i would have enjoyed this one in the 100 degree MD heat this summer. It took the right application and weather to line up i guess.

Spraying it on paper is a step above useless to me.

And, no, I cannot explain Hanae Mori to you - you already seem to understand it quite well - just a disgustingly sweet, cloying disaster.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Yep. Glad i just got a small sample.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Spraying it on paper is a step above useless to me.

And, no, I cannot explain Hanae Mori to you - you already seem to understand it quite well - just a disgustingly sweet, cloying disaster.
    agree
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I never test on paper anymore. Paper comes in contact with many things (other people's oils transfer over + whatever the paper has touched). My way of testing is simple, I take a shower, wait an hour or two, then spray.

In respect to HM, I'm on the same boat. It was recommended to me by a ton of BNers. I can see where the love stems from, but definitely not worth dropping more than $30 for (I suppose it's a good thing it can be had for that price).

Sorry for not searching. Stupid move. I see a few threads about his already as would be expected. Either way, glad i poked my head out instead of lurking the forums

- - - Updated - - -

I would disagree, in that i see 1.7oz testers in the low $20's shipped, and wouldn't even pay that. I was about to, but decided on a $3 sample spray. Very glad i did.

I also, see about waiting after a shower if you want to really nose out a fragrance. Takes about an hour for me.

I think spraying on paper gives you a good beginning feel for the fragrance, which I think is a good start, but when it's on the skin you really know what the frag is all about and what it does on you. So, I like the paper test to get me started on the frag, and then I go for the skin. There are many frags that I know I won't like because of what I smell on paper and I'm glad that I didn't spray them on my skin.

Hanai Mori-can't stand the stuff. It turns into lemony powder on me and I can't stand powder.

Banned

A skin test is mandatory to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Hanai Mori-can't stand the stuff. It turns into lemony powder on me and I can't stand powder.
    Agree with both. Awful.

In my case, application on paper and directly on skin do not differ that much, however, application on skin does reveal some subtleties, facets and complexities of the scent I would hardly be able to perceive on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In my case, application on paper and directly on skin do not differ that much, however, application on skin does reveal some subtleties, facets and complexities of the scent I would hardly be able to perceive on paper.
    I'm with Ken. I've never smelled anything that was terrible on paper and then amazing on my skin, or vice versa. It does make a big difference sometimes though. For example, I've found that my skin blends well with ambergris and vetiver, but terribly with most iris fragrances.

Regardless of the above, I usually first test fragrances on paper though, because if it's terrible on paper, it's going to smell terrible on my clothes.

If it passes the paper test (ie. it's not terrible to begin with) then I'll try it on my skin.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    . I've never smelled anything that was terrible on paper and then amazing on my skin.

+1

If paper were really so poor a substitute, I can't imagine perfumers would continue using touches à sentir when developing a fragrance.
    So, paper first, then, if I like it, skin.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Same as hednic, never purchase anything at a store without spraying on my skin. If it a store in the mall, I may walk around for an hour or so to see how it dries down before making a decision. Sometimes I will leave the store and purchase another day, so I can get the full dry down.
    I share this sentiment.

I ordered a sample of Cartier Declaration which smashed in the post.
    The card smelled absolutely fantastic, so I quickly ordered some more. However, on my skin it was a different matter. That sweet and funny note described by some as BO came through quickly and almost never bother spraying it noiw.
    Shame, I thought I had found my signature scent.

Blog Entries

I started a thread a few days ago about the cost of Fragrance. It boiled down to $180 bottle of frag. cost about $3 for the actual juice... I complain about the lack of samples they give out these days. It cost them next to nothing, and any idiot Sales Associate can tell the difference between a serious browser, and someone just looking for a handout. They always want to spritz paper strips, which with my body chemistry does not reflect what is smells like on me. I end up picking the one most promising, and spritzing myself...leaving a pile of sad looking scented strips on the counter...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales