Code of Conduct

Default Terre d'Hermes Parfum?

When I began researching what scents I wanted to sample, I wrote down Terre d'Hermes, but made this note: "NOT Terre d'Hermes Parfum." Now...in order for me to write that, I had to have read it somewhere; however, I can no longer find that source.

As it turns out, I have a sample of the Parfum, and I like it but don't love it. Is there a difference between the two.....or do you not even have a clue what I'm talking about?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes Parfum?

There is TdH Parfum and EDT. To me the differences between the two are slight. The Parfum lasts a little longer on my skin than the EDT.

There is a difference between the two. Some prefer the EDT, others (such as myself) prefer the parfum.

Between the two, I notice that the smell is pretty much the same, but the EDT is lighter and doesn't last as long as the parfum. Both are great scents IMO.

I'm sure there are past threads on Basenotes that discuss the differences. If I recall correctly, it was pretty much a 50/50 split as to the one people prefer.

Gotcha. I know that EDP are usually a little stronger and/or last longer...I just didn't know if the scents changed that much.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

To me the EDP is alot smoother and less....minerally or sharp?? Can't explain but I'd prefer EDP over EDT
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

I get better longevity/projection with the EDT. Pure Parfum just didn't like my skin, it disappeared in less than 4 hours.

EDT is easier to wear, more casual and/or fun. Lasts for about 7 or 8 hours with a lot of sillage and projection.

Parfum is more formal, austere, deeper. Lasts more than 16 hours with the same strenght from the first minute to the 8th hour. Moderate sillage and longevity.

Im talking about my experience and my skin, its not a rule.
    I cant choose and I own and love both. Highly recommended

Guerlainista

Why do some people call it EdP or Eau de Parfum? It's a parfum, right? These are not the same thing.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TdHis is synthetic and the parfum is more concentrated synthetic....

The two are quite different. When I wear them, what I get on my skin is...

EDT: Much fresher with quite prominent sparkling citrus notes up high, with the flinty notes in the middle linking it to the woody base. Great for summer or as a refreshing work scent, for those of us that aren't traditional chypre or Creed wearers.

Parfum: Much deeper with a dry orange peel note which lasts a *very* long time, with some amber mixed with the flint, over the woody base. To me it feels more like a Winter scent and has a warmer, smoother feel.

I had the EDT and now have the Parfum. I'm more of an oriental wearer, so I'm more comfortable with the style of the Parfum, and that lingering dry orange peel note is quite unique. However, I'm very tempted to get another bottle of the EDT because I think that the EDT version is more interesting, refreshing and fills a hole in my wardrobe.

So yeah, decide what you want to use the fragrance for and choose the appropriate one. They're both great, but I don't believe they're interchangeable. Really the Parfum should have been released as an alternatively named flanker, rather than released as a parfum of the same fragrance.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Mistertaz View Post
    So yeah, decide what you want to use the fragrance for and choose the appropriate one. They're both great, but I don't believe they're interchangeable. Really the Parfum should have been released as an alternatively named flanker, rather than released as a parfum of the same fragrance.
    Different concentrations usually are different compositions. Habit Rouge l'Extrait is very different from EdT, and the EdP is different from both. The same is true of Dior Homme and the other Guerlain masculines. I always think of these as flankers, just more closely related than usual. A proper flanker can be completely different - Kouros and Body, for example.

Hermes were kind enough to send me samples of both, absolutely loved them. I think the EDP lasted a little longer, and I found it a little less sharp.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

All very helpful...thanks. One more question (hopefully): The first time I tried it (I only have the parfum sample), I smelled all earthy tones--a garden, greens, tomatoes......V8. Today, I smelled fresh orange peels...all day. I liked but didn't love it the first time...I loved it today. If that's how I feel about the parfum, should I grab that, or is it one of those cases where if I love this, I'll REALLY love the EDT (not nearly enough money to buy both...plus, I have a few others ahead of it on the Buy list)?

Thanks!!

No need to rehash the difference but I will say that I prefer the parfum.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    There is TdH Parfum and EDT. To me the differences between the two are slight. The Parfum lasts a little longer on my skin than the EDT.
    Agree.

Banned

EDT is more woody and EDP more green and spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Why do some people call it EdP or Eau de Parfum? It's a parfum, right? These are not the same thing.
    Terre D'Hermes Pure Parfum is not an Eau de Parfum (which normally have a 10-20% concentration of essential oils). It has a concentration of over 20%, which makes it a pure Parfum, or Perfume Extrait.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Sound Scents

If you love the pure perfume you probably will love the edt too. The edt is relatively easy to sample so you may want to give it a sniff just to make sure you don't prefer it to the pp before buying. I own both but have a slight preference for the edt and feel it is a bit more versatile (but I feel you can't go wrong with either and they smell quite similar -- both having extremely long longevity with the edt projecting more).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The Edt plays hide and seek with me, while the parfum on the other hand is much more constant. My next bottle will be the parfum.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Terre D'Hermes Pure Parfum is not an Eau de Parfum (which normally have a 10-20% concentration of essential oils). It has a concentration of over 20%, which makes it a pure Parfum, or Perfume Extrait.
    I know that it's a parfum, or "pure perfume" in American. That was my point. I don't understand why people keep calling it an EdP. It says parfum right on the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    When I began researching what scents I wanted to sample, I wrote down Terre d'Hermes, but made this note: "NOT Terre d'Hermes Parfum." Now...in order for me to write that, I had to have read it somewhere; however, I can no longer find that source.

As it turns out, I have a sample of the Parfum, and I like it but don't love it. Is there a difference between the two.....or do you not even have a clue what I'm talking about?
    I dismissed the Parfum when it first came out as well, but that was due to me trying it in a store. I've grown to like it a lot though.

For me the EdT is a summer scent and slightly cool weather scent (although you could pull it off in the winter as well). The Parfum for me is strictly a 'miserable weather' scent, wearing it in the rain during winter, in snow or just exceptionally cold days here in the UK. One some rare days, I may even layer them and wear both.

The Parfum has, to my nose, apart from stronger longevity, also an even more pronounced vetiver drydown.

I think the Parfum (which i bought blindly due to raving reviews) smells like a rotten orange in an armpit in need of cleaning...maybe i got a bad bottle..

I'd love to have the EDT that first came out. It has been neutered big-time over the last few years. I have a 40% full bottle coming that I hope is a used bottle from a few years back. We're so weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post

I also have trouble remembering things. In my pockets I find Polaroids of people I do not recognize, with "Do NOT trust this man" or "KILL this man" on them in my own handwriting, and I always wish I had been a bit more explicit about my reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusman View Post
    TdH is is synthetic and the parfum is more concentrated synthetic....
    Quote Originally Posted by THEREALJWIL View Post
    I think the Parfum (which i bought blindly due to raving reviews) smells like a rotten orange in an armpit in need of cleaning...maybe i got a bad bottle..
    Great nose you have!
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    I also have trouble remembering things. In my pockets I find Polaroids of people I do not recognize, with "Do NOT trust this man" or "KILL this man" on them in my own handwriting, and I always wish I had been a bit more explicit about my reasoning.

As long as it's not a pic of me, we're all good

I prefer the Edt,i get better projection & lasts just as long as the Parfum.

Basenotes Plus

I bought the Parfum just yesterday love it on me...has a delicious fresh bergamot scent (does that sound right?). It seems to be at once woody earthy and fruity. I quite like it.

The parfume is more dirty, with better longevity but less sillage.

Dependent

I found the parfum to have a significant sweet amber presence that totally spoiled the nice dry cedar-vetiver-musk Terre accord.

On my skin, I find the parfum richer & more natural with the citrus in the earlier stages, and get virtually no pepper, whereas with the EDT, I get a good amount of pepper up front. The mid on the parfum tones down the flint note to me. It's still there and blended a little better, but I like the stronger flint in the EDT as well. I find the base fairly similar with both - not dirty at all, but rather clean and just a tiny bit sour - with the parfum overall lasting noticeably longer and projecting the same or slightly better. I really like the EDT, but I love the parfum.