Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Al Rehab Silver vs. Silver Mountain Water: A Detailed Comparison

I heard a lot on this community (and on Fragrantica) how similar Al Rehab Silver was to Silver Mountain Water.

I've seen a lot of comments all over the forum saying "They are nearly identical" and "Why pay $300 for Silver Mountain Water when I can pay 1/10th the price for Al Rehab Silver." I think I asked this question on the forum before, and I've read other questions of this sort, and nobody really provided a detailed answer. So, that's where I come in. I wanted to test it for myself and try to give a better answer to the community.

For those who don't know, Silver Mountain Water is a niche perfume from the house of Creed, which is much more expensive than many other perfumes. I went through two 2.5 ml samples of Silver Mountain Water and I absolutely love it. Some projection issues aside, I think SMW is a masterpeice. But a triple digit price range IS expensive.

Al Rehab Silver, I got it for $5 for 6ml roll-on oil, is a non-alcohol natural perfume from a small middle-eastern indie company Al Rehab. I bought this on Ebay and had to wait 3 weeks for it to ship from India, probably longer than I've had to wait for anything. So I'm testing both and I'm going to let you know the results.

I've made threads like this before. I compared New Haarlem to Rochas Man, as well as Green Irish Tweed to Cool Water. And like those two cases, I am comparing two fragrances that are similar (or at least many people saying they are similar). In both of those cases, my verdict was that both had their merits and demerits, so it's up to you. In this case, my verdict is a little more decisive.

Top Notes
    Silver Mountain Water opens up with an icy metallic fresh blackcurrant and herbal tea notes. It is fresh (a little similar to Millesime Imperial) but peppery at the same time. It really conveys the image of water running down a snow ice mountain as Olivier Creed intended.

Al Rehab Silver, in the first few minutes, opens similar to Hamptons by Bond no 9. (which is another knockoff of Silver Mountain Water). It is a little bit more citrus heavy than SMW, just like Hamptons. So, with the tea note, it gives off an sweetened lemon ice tea drink vibe, just like Hamptons. Al Rehab stays like that on paper, but on the skin (and I've tried multiple different parts of my body) it changes.

Dry Down
    The drydown of Silver Mountain Water make it lot more subtle, but it still is similar to the opening. Al Rehab Silver does become a little metallic. It reminds me slightly of silver metal, but never a sparkly snowy mountain. Al Rehab gets to be quite floral. Some people I know who I asked said it smells like roses or flowers, which I understand and can agree with. After the first hour, it stops smelling anything like SMW, if it ever did. But it still has an unclean dirtiness about it, where it may smell a little bit like body odor.

Silver is a multidimensional fragrance. You could say it fresh/citrusy, floral, and metallic at the same time. And based on where you spray it and how long since it was sprayed, your experience may vary. Sometimes, I get a little SMW out of it. More often, I see it as a clone of Bond's Hamptons. The key point is that if no one of the forum said the two were similar, and I happened to test Silver for a random reason, I would not have made that association. I might have said it smelled a little bit like SMW, but I wouldn't have called it a clone.

Silver won't make you smell fresh and clean. It won't project the same aura of cleanness as SMW. It will just smell like you applied a bunch of cheap synthetic cologne, on caliber with Axe/Lynx or Tag. Creed colognes specialize in freshness and having a smell thats natural with distinguished ingredients. Silver just doesn't do that.

Projection/Longevity

The perfume oil of ARS (Al-Rehab Silver) projects much better, at least early on, but like most other natural perfume oils it fades away in a few hours. It's much stronger than SMW (Silver Mountain Water), and I could even smell it through the packaging. Silver Mountain Water projects for an hour or two, but stays close to the skin for the next few hours. SMW actually has great longevity, though it is very subtle and you have to have a great nose to pick it up. Try spraying clothes if your skin doesn't project it well enough. Still, you can carry at atomizer of SMW or ARS.

Cost

To be fair, people have been exaggerating the price difference. Especially because you can buy legit greymarket Creeds like SMW on websites like Fragrancenet ($150 for 125 ml and $80 for 2.5 oz). Also, Al Rehab is only cheap because it sells their oils in small quantities. Paying $30 for 30ml is still $1 per ml, even if you are paying less for less. SMW comes out to about slightly more than $1 per ml.

The oil is more concentrated and therefore more expensive than the sprayer of Silver, but even the Sprayer price would be $50+ for 125 milliliters. And at that priceyou can buy much better fragrances.

In the end, the price difference is very minimal (and much less significant than people have been saying). It's not like $30 for 4.2 of Cool Water vs. $150 for 4.2 of Green Irish Tweed, which is a big price difference. The pricing is so similar that they can be compared on an even standard. SMW sells in larger quantities and Al Rehab sells in smaller quantities - that's the only huge difference.

But even if Silver were half the price it was, I still wouldn't buy it.

Overall
    In the end, Silver Mountain Water is easily the better choice and if you like it, it's easily worth the asking price. If you don't like it, you probably won't like Silver either. Silver is an interesting scent, but not worth owning in my opinion. There are much better things in my collection to the point where I probably won't wear Silver very often.

That said, I'd rather wear Silver than nothing, but still it doesn't even compare to even the most average and mundane bottles in my collection (much less SMW). If you have a big collection, chances are Al Rehab's Silver won't impress you. And even if you have a small collection, there are much better fragrances to explore.

Verdict
    Try Silver Mountain Water. Buy it if you like it. Don't bother with Al Rehab's Silver at all.

So I hope this helps the people who are thinking of buying Silver Mountain Water (but who are not doing so because they heard there was a cheaper version of it). Hopefully this is your green light to just go out and get it.

Comment what you think below. Thanks for reading and have a great night.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 26th September 2012 at 01:23 PM.

Default Re: Al Rehab Silver vs. Silver Mountain Water: A Detailed Comparison

Nice comparison...

They smell almost identical to my nose. $9 vs $150.

I have also read in several threads people comparing those two scents and wandering from where those people get the idea.
    I am going thru my 4th bottle (4.2 oz) of Silver Mountain Water and I had had 2 Al Rehab Silver (1 oz) bottles and 2 AR Silver (6mL) oils, so I think I could say that I have some experience with both of them and to tell you the truth, they have nothing in common whatsoever, they are two completely different scents and I enjoy them both separately.

Oh! excuse me, they share the word SILVER in the name, but that's about it.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Well done for taking the time to highlight the differences! This is exactly how fragrances should be contrasted. Whether I agree with what you say or not (I do btw) is immaterial.

You broke the 2 fragrances down into each phase of their development and described them in your opinion. Even better you made the price another factor, not the overwhelming determinant.

It adds no value to simply say that "Silver Mountain Water and Silver have a similar vibe", and hence for the money Silver wins. That helps noone.

Kudos for sharing your thought with us mate. Respect!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I have a sample of SMW on its way. I'm excited to try it!

Wow, thank you so much Noir for the detailed comparison. Quite timely for me as well since I was looking at purchasing Silver (not SMW, I never really liked it that much, but did want to revisit something similar). I think the price difference would be more notable when comparing the EDP to the EDP, Ie 30ml of ARS ($13), to 30mL of SMW. I will be getting the EDP if I do, as I am not a huge fan of roll on oils.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I have to say, I think SMW is a lovely fragrance that would be absolutely killer in spring in my opinion. I heard about Silver and that made me think of not buying it, but ultimately I would since I'd buy niche frags for myself and pay the difference before trying a lesser product.

Nice review though Noir, and it is definitely appreciated.

Can you link us to your other comparisons?

Nice write up. I have heard the same but i havent had a chance to compare both since i dont have AL Rehab i bought SMW. However funny you posted this, on Saturday, at one of those kiosks in the mall in one of my futile searches for D&G By Man, the guy had me smell White Attitude Man by Deray and it really does smell exactly like SMW to me. has anyone else smelled this?

http://www.amazon.com/WHITE-ATTITUDE.../dp/B00433ODNA

Great post! Thanks!

I've never tried Al Rehab Silver, but I just bought Silver Mountain Water and I absolutely adore it. Always gets ignored as far as Creeds go and it might be my favourite one unless Aventus dethrones it when I get my bottle next week.

Great comparison. I have to try Al Rehab Silver before I can make a proper response to this thread, though.

Thanks for the comparison review.

Regarding the grey market price of SMW, I've seen Fragrancenet sell 125 ml bottles for around $120 (after 20% discount + 6% ebates cash back).

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    I have also read in several threads people comparing those two scents and wandering from where those people get the idea.
    I am going thru my 4th bottle (4.2 oz) of Silver Mountain Water and I had had 2 Al Rehab Silver (1 oz) bottles and 2 AR Silver (6mL) oils, so I think I could say that I have some experience with both of them and to tell you the truth, they have nothing in common whatsoever, they are two completely different scents and I enjoy them both separately.

I stand corrected. We have an expert in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I stand corrected. We have an expert in the house.
    No need to be ironic Silentrich.

I think this is like the case of the Emperor's Clothes, sometime ago somebody said that they seem similar and then everybody started repeating, and when somebody says "The emperor is naked" everybody gets mad.

Sorry, but I invite you to do a side by side comparison and you will notice the difference.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

They smell almost identical to my nose. $9 vs $150.
    The first sentence is a respectable opinion.

The second sentence is misleading. You can get $9 of Al Rehab Silver, but you'll only get 9ml, compared to 125ml of Silver Mountain Water.

Which means THEIR PRICING IS NEAR IDENTICAL.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post

Yeah, I get some similarities from Silver, especially in the base notes, but it's still A LOT different from SMW in some ways. Silver is a multi-dimensional scent. It's floral, citrus, a little and metallic at the same time. What you get out of it depends on multiple factors.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Well done for taking the time to highlight the differences! This is exactly how fragrances should be contrasted. Whether I agree with what you say or not (I do btw) is immaterial.

You broke the 2 fragrances down into each phase of their development and described them in your opinion. Even better you made the price another factor, not the overwhelming determinant.

It adds no value to simply say that "Silver Mountain Water and Silver have a similar vibe", and hence for the money Silver wins. That helps noone.

Kudos for sharing your thought with us mate. Respect!
    Thanks man! And that's EXACTLY what I tried to do. I was sick and tired of the unhelpful advice, so I decided to build a better mousetrap I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    I have a sample of SMW on its way. I'm excited to try it!
    Good luck. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Wow, thank you so much Noir for the detailed comparison. Quite timely for me as well since I was looking at purchasing Silver (not SMW, I never really liked it that much, but did want to revisit something similar). I think the price difference would be more notable when comparing the EDP to the EDP, Ie 30ml of ARS ($13), to 30mL of SMW. I will be getting the EDP if I do, as I am not a huge fan of roll on oils.
    True, oil vs spray is a big difference. The oil tends to leak out a little bit and get over your fingers. But the oil is probably much purer.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I have to say, I think SMW is a lovely fragrance that would be absolutely killer in spring in my opinion. I heard about Silver and that made me think of not buying it, but ultimately I would since I'd buy niche frags for myself and pay the difference before trying a lesser product.

Nice review though Noir, and it is definitely appreciated.

Can you link us to your other comparisons?
    Look at my profile and then my threads started option.

I made one on Cool Water vs. Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial vs Unforgivable vs Love and Luck, New Haarlem vs Rochas Man.

And thanks for the support man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Great post! Thanks!
    You're welcome. Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by sillage monster View Post
    I've never tried Al Rehab Silver, but I just bought Silver Mountain Water and I absolutely adore it. Always gets ignored as far as Creeds go and it might be my favourite one unless Aventus dethrones it when I get my bottle next week.

Great comparison. I have to try Al Rehab Silver before I can make a proper response to this thread, though.
    Thanks

Honestly, if you already have a bottle SMW and enjoy it. There's no need to check out Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Thanks for the comparison review.

Regarding the grey market price of SMW, I've seen Fragrancenet sell 125 ml bottles for around $120 (after 20% discount + 6% ebates cash back).
    Yeah, exactly. That probably makes SMW better dollar-for-dollar.

- - - Updated - - -

If Al Rehab were 20% of the price, I'd say maybe check it out. But since it's 80% of the price, I say just spend a little more and get quality.

35 mL spray is around $9. It's even cheaper if you buy more than 1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Spray...item45ff5f9aba. I didn't care for the roll-on because of the film it left, but it is stronger. The sprayer on the bottle is ironically like a Creed sprayer. There are differences between the roll-on and the spray.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

The second sentence is misleading. You can get $9 of Al Rehab Silver, but you'll only get 9ml, compared to 125ml of Silver Mountain Water.

They're only near identical if you're assuming 9ml of one yields the same number of uses as 9ml of the other, but that would imply a lack of understanding of oils versus perfumes. 9ml of Silver is going to provide more uses than 9ml of SMW, though I'll be the first to admit I have no experience with roll-on oils. The difference in strength isn't a fault of the Creed. It's just the difference between oils and perfumes. Heck, I wouldn't even want SMW to be as strong as oils. OMG! That would be a disaster.

The real question, in terms of value, is: how many uses does one get from 9ml of Silver? And how many uses does one get from a bottle of SMW? 1ml of one does not equal 1ml of the other. It'd be interesting to figure that one out. Of course, the answer would vary from person to person depending on how heavy they tend to be on the trigger. And you'd have to take into account the difference in the longevity of each. It'd be interesting to really price that out.

That being said... I really wish Creed (and everyone else!) sold 10ml minis (with sprayers dammmmmit!) of all of their scents. I know there are often decants, but I'm talking about being able to walk into a shop and buy a 10ml bottle of SMW, or GIT, or whatever else. That would be fantastic! I'd especially love it if Bond did this. Then again, maybe not! I'd be so broke as I worked my way through their collection.

Part of the appeal of something like Al-Rehab Silver is the lower price point makes it easier to sample.

- - - Updated - - -

35 mL spray is around $9. It's even cheaper if you buy more than 1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Spray...item45ff5f9aba. I didn't care for the roll-on because of the film it left, but it is stronger. The sprayer on the bottle is ironically like a Creed sprayer. There are differences between the roll-on and the spray.
    OMG! That's 175ml of Silver for $35. So, for the price of SMW at quite a discount, you could buy 700ml of Silver!!! LOL.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 25th September 2012 at 05:34 AM.

I'm fine with SMW which I like quite a bit.

I haven't tried Silver by Al-Rehab but I have gone through 3 bottles of SMW. The 4th and 5th bottles both had sprayer problems, so I managed to pry the top open and decant it into other bottles and am using it happily. I never did get the GIT and Cool Water comparison so I am quite sure I won't get the similar vibe from Silver. There is only one SMW. I do get the fresh crisp water flowing down from icy mountain tops with SMW and absolutely love it. Needless to say I will always have this juice in my collection.

Au contraire mon frère, I paid less than $10 shipped and got a 30ml bottle of Al Rehab Silver Eau de Parfum spray. As for the similarities, I'd say that Al Rehab Silver is 90% the same as SMW. It's much more citrusy at the beginning, but the similarity is striking. They both have that icy, metallic freshness. I had a couple co-workers smell Al Rehab Silver and tell me how much they thought it costs. They all thought it was over $100 for the little 30ml bottle. They were quite surprised to hear that it was $10. It lasts longer than my 2011 bottle of SMW as well, which isn't a hard feat considering my SMW lasts 4 hours max. In conclusion, I think Silver makes an outstanding substitute for SMW considering the similarity in smell and incredibly low price.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me know of the price difference between the sprayer and the oil.

Still, the price difference is more like $50 to $150, than $10 to $300.

Thanks for letting me know of the price difference between the sprayer and the oil.

Al Rehab Silver is less than 20 cents a mL and SMW is more than $1.15 a mL and that's at $143.00 a bottle. SMW is 5 to 7 times more expensive. Even at the lowest price SMW is $80 to $85 for 1 oz versus $9 for 1 ounce. That's over 9 times more expensive. I like these comparison threads and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the spray.
    Last edited by silentrich; 25th September 2012 at 06:12 PM.

Sorry but the oil lasts a long time. i dont see how you could use 6ml of oil with daily application and run out within 2 months. It is super strong and a little goes a long way.

I over did it and i couldnt use either SMW or the oil for about 6 months and get a lot of pleasure wearing it. I can smell it now when i think about it.

Everyone should own this and have it in the car, for those days you cant smell your scent and you want to smell good.

Strong stuff! be careful people!

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Au contraire mon frère, I paid less than $10 shipped and got a 30ml bottle of Al Rehab Silver Eau de Parfum spray. As for the similarities, I'd say that Al Rehab Silver is 90% the same as SMW. It's much more citrusy at the beginning, but the similarity is striking. They both have that icy, metallic freshness. I had a couple co-workers smell Al Rehab Silver and tell me how much they thought it costs. They all thought it was over $100 for the little 30ml bottle. They were quite surprised to hear that it was $10. It lasts longer than my 2011 bottle of SMW as well, which isn't a hard feat considering my SMW lasts 4 hours max. In conclusion, I think Silver makes an outstanding substitute for SMW considering the similarity in smell and incredibly low price.
    I couldn't agree with your more, mesaboogie. I think you're right on the money in everything you've said.

I've not tried the oil (on my to-buy list), but bought the 30mL spray from the UK for about GBP 3.50 six months ago, and I find it to be so close to SMW that I won't ever find the need to buy the Creed. The longevity and projection are great and it draws compliments like a small puppy.

Finally got a chance to sample/wear SMW today & I have to say, I rather enjoyed it. Can't say I'm completely sold on purchasing a bottle at this point, but we'll see how a few more wearings go....

It's funny, because I think the metallic/cheap notes you made about Silver apply to Silver Mountain Water. I guess Silver would be even more utter garbage to me.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

They're many, many CPO/body oil knock-offs of popular designer and even loads of niche fragrances, many smell good and some are reminiscent of the scents they are trying to portray. However, at the end of the day, none of them are as good as the original. Although many of our favorite designer/niche fragrances use synthetics, they still have way more "life" and depth than the ones used in the body oils, really no comparison, level.

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancere.../26132011&rt=3
    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I couldn't agree with your more, mesaboogie. I think you're right on the money in everything you've said.

I've not tried the oil (on my to-buy list), but bought the 30mL spray from the UK for about GBP 3.50 six months ago, and I find it to be so close to SMW that I won't ever find the need to buy the Creed. The longevity and projection are great and it draws compliments like a small puppy.
    I also agree that you've both hit the nail on the head.

In my detailed review of Al Rehab's Silver back in March http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancere.../26132011&rt=3 I compared apples to apples (that is the parfum strength Silver spray vs the parfum strength SMW spray) and reached the conclusion that although I slightly prefer the Creed scent, I probably wouldn't ever spring again for a full Creed bottle. On the other hand if my 30ml bottle of Silver ever ran out I wouldn't hesitate to re-purchase.

BTW I also have the Silver roll on oil but it wasn't to my liking at all. It was greasy and had almost no projection (although I admit that it does stay on as a skin scent for most of the day)

I have Al rehab Silver...it's awesome!

MUCH AGREEMENT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CreedKing View Post
    I haven't tried Silver by Al-Rehab but I have gone through 3 bottles of SMW. The 4th and 5th bottles both had sprayer problems, so I managed to pry the top open and decant it into other bottles and am using it happily. I never did get the GIT and Cool Water comparison so I am quite sure I won't get the similar vibe from Silver. There is only one SMW. I do get the fresh crisp water flowing down from icy mountain tops with SMW and absolutely love it. Needless to say I will always have this juice in my collection.
    And this is my big problem with Creed. $100+ per bottle, two bottles with sprayer problems. Where does the money really go at Creed? Inconsistencies, poor quality sprayers, top dollar pricing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm sure everyone who wants to build a cologne collection can afford a Creed at some point, especially at a grey-market price.

I'll take a 4 o.z. SMW (or any juice that I really like) for $120 over buying 5 Adidas fragrances just because they were cheap.

Banned

Thanks for the enlightening observations.

I'm sure everyone who wants to build a cologne collection can afford a Creed at some point, especially at a grey-market price.

I'll take a 4 o.z. SMW (or any juice that I really like) for $120 over buying 5 Adidas fragrances just because they were cheap.
    I humbly disagree. Personally, in building my collection, i am going for particular "smells" i like rather than specific houses or designers. I personally own SMW, but if i smelled AL Rehab Silver, or White Attitude before buying my SMW, i most likely would not spend the money on SMW. White Attitude smells too close to SMW to justify spending double the price on the same amount of juice. I would instead put the money towards another scent that i also liked.

Now if you are into collecting all colognes from a specific house, then obviously you would have a different POV.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i havent tried white attitude, so i won't comment.

what i am saying is that you either like it or you don't.

if you really like it, get the real deal.

if you don't, don't bother with it at all.

i havent tried white attitude, so i won't comment.

what i am saying is that you either like it or you don't.

So why bother with the comparison then?

If that works for you, stick to it and be happy. There's nothing wrong with having priorities that differ from someone else's. But it's a mistake to assume that everyone should do as you do or that everyone should be as singularly minded. Most of us factor many things in when considering a purchase.

If I like a scent, I consider buying it. But I sample alternatives too, and then I ask myself if the price difference was worth it for me. In the case of SMW, I'd probably say no since we're talking about quite a massive price difference. $9 for 35ml of Silver? Wow. It's not that I don't think SMW is a good scent, or even a great scent. It's just that I could buy other great scents with the money I'd save.

If owning the 'real thing' is that important to you, go for it. If I enjoy how I smell and I get complimented on how I smell, I don't care whether I'm wearing a 'real thing' or not.

For me, it's all about the scent, its performance on my skin, and its effect on my wallet.

...then again, I think Al Rehab Silver is a real thing

- - - Updated - - -

So why bother with the comparison then?
    Exactly. If owning a niche is a priority, the decision was made (even if only subconsciously) before the comparison began.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    I humbly disagree. Personally, in building my collection, i am going for particular "smells" i like rather than specific houses or designers.
    My thoughts exactly. Creed is too expensive to be SO INCONSISTENT with their fragrances for me to even think of buying them again.

I have got/sniffed them all (well my SMW is a split but still) and the roll on smells different to the spray, Maybe its the concentration in the roll on vs the spray but to my nose the spray is VERY similar, Not the same but there in the same lane. The roll on is more potent and offensive imo, Whereas the spray is fleeting and very SMW like. To the untrained nose they do smell the same thought, Have tried it on friends. I don't paticularly like SMW or Silver to be honest, I've never worn them for use apart from for testing purposes