Code of Conduct

Thread: Drakkar (1972)

Default Drakkar (1972)

Hello Basenoters,

I didn't even know of this fragrance until a few months ago. I know Drakkar Noir of course but I had never heard of this and I wonder if it just wasn't stocked in my part of the world growing up.

So for you who have tried it- What's it like? Do you love it? If you found a bottle today would you buy it?

I ask as there are only two reviews on this here and I would love to know more.

Best wishes,

Koala.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Drakkar (1972)

I like Drakkar very much. It's a fragrance I was familiar with when I was very young. I'm not good at describing the notes. To me, it's a scent of soft citrus and flowery notes with a slightly sweet base with a light herbal and woodsy hints. It smells very clean and refreshing. I can hardly associate Drakkar to Drakkar Noir! I got two small 25 ml bottles of this from eBay few months ago. Very happy now!

Basenotes Member

Drakkar used to be my everyday fragrance when I was in high school, before I stopped wearing perfume for a long time (25 years). Then, last year I found a bottle for 5€ and bought it right away - it's exactly like I remember it (jss' description is pretty close, as far as I can tell) but I can't wear it anymore, it's just not "me".
    Anyway, last year I tried Sisley's Eau d'Ikar on a blotter and I though it smelled very very similar to Drakkar, at least as far as the top/middle notes - perhaps you can find a sample of that and see if it's worth searching for a vintage Drakkar.

It's a very nice scent.

hello friend! I'm just in this forum but I read a long time and I can tell you drakkar is a masterpiece in my opinion which unfortunately is very rare opening has a mixture of citrus, but nothing to do with his peers YVS, eau savage, mosieur de Givenchy Mr. Ricci and others, all great perfumes but DPH lavender and amber to soften just enough reminds me a bit Pier carden but not to be confused with anyone wearing today is really great
    Tano

I have only tried it once and loved it, even if I never got to purchase it on that particular occasion. Even so, my memory of this scent remains a pleasant one, more so than Drakkar Noir, another scent already known and loved by me.

I had it back in the late 70's - early 80's. My bottle was stolen (really) durng the late 80's. I found a vintage one but it was bad, thus all my comments are based on memories.

It had a citrous opening that morphed into spices in a very complex fashion. I remember it to be sillage and longevity wise, although I never was commented on overapplication (as it did happen with others I wore during that time, like YSL pour Homme). If asked about originality, I can only say that I never found any other one similar to this one. Worth pour Homme reminds me of it but not that closely, so you might as well take this last remarks with a bag full of salt (rather than a pitch).

It was one I used the most, even thugh it was not my favorite. I recall the drydown as being the reason for this preference.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by pgcd View Post
    Anyway, last year I tried Sisley's Eau d'Ikar on a blotter and I though it smelled very very similar to Drakkar, at least as far as the top/middle notes - perhaps you can find a sample of that and see if it's worth searching for a vintage Drakkar.
    Now I want to try Ikar even more. Though I also haven't tried Drakkar. . .