Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's good representation

16 25.00%
  • It's a decent representation

13 20.31%
  • No, not at all

35 54.69%

Default Is Creed's Original Vetiver a good representation of a vetiver fragrance?

What's your take?

I'm trying to get into vetiver, wondering how this measures up. I know its a good fragrance, but is it a good representation of a vetiver?
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 19th May 2014 at 01:08 AM.

Default Re: Is Creed's Original Vetiver a good representation of a vetiver fragrance?

Of a modern vetiver, IMO - yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Is Creed's Original Vetiver a good representation of a vetiver fragrance?

OV is a wonderful fragrance, in fact i dont even consider it a fragrance per say, its just extremley functional, 100% non offensive in the slightest, you just feel and smell straight out the shower fresh, clean and ready for any activity for the day, and you radiate a nice cleanliness.

The ultimate modern anti perfume perfume, and every man should have something in that category in there wardrobe.

I love OV and think it is an excellent scent. However, I don't think it's a good representation of a "vetiver" scent. There are many other fragrances I think feature the note more prominently.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

It's a vetiver scent for people who don't like heavy vetiver fragrances. Imo some notes are better in a supporting role than a dominant one and in this Original Vetiver succeeds rather well.

Basenotes Junkie

You have good points Dougszar but ive seen an interview with Creed and the reality is not notes, but the fragrance actually contains both the leaf and root of the vetiver plant, and it contains the Haitain variety, which is well known to be more leafy and grassy green as apposed to grey and dirty. ( I still dont doubt that it probally doesnt contain very much.. Lol)

I also think its great because people like me who cant stomach wearing things like diors or frederic malles because it just makes me smell like an old man, is very happy with creeds modern interpretation.
    Last edited by DMA; 19th May 2014 at 01:31 AM.

I would say it is a decent representation.

IMO it's a great fragrance, but not a great vetiver fragrance as there is not much noticeable vetiver.

Call it "OV" but not a "vetiver scent" is my advice. LOL.

It's a vetiver for people that don't like vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Call it "OV" but not a "vetiver scent" is my advice. LOL.

Yes, without the Vetiver in it's name though - maybe call it just "Creed Original"...

Blog Entries

I consider it almost the quintessential example of "minimal", "clean", and "fresh" in a vetiver. If it were more floral, it would be very close to Guerlain's highly respected Vetiver Pour Elle.

It's not really a good example of a standard vetiver, but it's a good representative of one of the extremes of vetiver.

There are strong/earthy vetivers.....and there are light/clean vetivers.

OV is simply in the second category. It all depends on what you're looking for.....damp/earthy vetivers which can border on being too much for some, or clean/soapy vetivers which are light and generally regarded as more versatile and inoffensive.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Very light and clean "shower fresh" Vetiver .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion-clearly yes.

No. The only lighter vetiver scent I can think of is Lanvin Vetiver.
    Every other vetiver scent I've tried is stronger in the vetiver department.
    Regards,
    Renato

There is little to no detectable vetiver in it. Any other fragrance with the word "vetiver" in its name will be a better representation of the note.

Go to a health food store or just a place that has lots of essential oils and test the vetiver oil. After that you should be able to pick out the common note in vetiver heavy frags. Its very easy to spot once you know it.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Basenotes Plus

Not a good representation imo, nor does it have to be.
    OV highlights a certain facet of vetiver to bring some character to an otherwise faceless edc. And it does so wonderfully.

Original Vetiver is a vetiver scent in the same way that Santal Original is a sandalwood scent...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Of a modern vetiver, IMO - yes.
    +1

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

It definitely has vetiver in it, but I can only really detect it in the extreme dry-down. There are other things going on here, like ginger, bergamot and other citrus top notes (albeit all put together very well). It's a scent that introduced me to Creed, one that I love to wear in the summer. As others have said, it's the 'out of the shower fresh scent'.

Does it stand up to the likes of Route du Vetiver, Sel de Vetiver or Sycomore, the more well-known benchmark vetiver scents? No, I don't think so. This is not focused around vetiver itself as are the above, but by no means is it a bad scent.

Err - No. It's what Creed think we want

Someone mentioned it's likeness to the Mugler Cologne-- I'd go with the Mugler all the time. You will have a nicer fragrance and more money left.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Err - No. It's what Creed think we want
    But it clearly is what some want...

Release date 2004, current date 2014. On the surface 10 years may appear to be a drop in the ocean, but thats simply not the case. New releases and fragrances and in some cases even houses appear to come and go at the drop of a hat, and this things been going on forever, since the mid 1940's and as already stated the newer interpretation for a good solid decade.

Diors private line vetiver lasted all of 5 minutes in the bigger picture of things...

If it wasnt in demand it would be no longer in production, and Creed appears to have no issues with discontinuing fragrances, so in this instance I think you are wrong, id say its more of a case of its not what you want, not neccesarily what you may think other people may or may not want....
    Last edited by DMA; 19th May 2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    But it clearly is what some want...

Release date 2004, current date 2014. On the surface 10 years may appear to be a drop in the ocean, but thats simply not the case. New releases and fragrances and in some cases even houses appear to come and go at the drop of a hat, and this things been going on forever, since the mid 1940's and as already stated the newer interpretation for a good solid decade.

Diors private line vetiver lasted all of 5 minutes in the bigger picture of things...

If it wasnt in demand it would be no longer in production, and Creed appears to have no issues with discontinuing fragrances, so in this instance I think you are wrong, id say its more of a case of its not what you want, not neccesarily what you may think other people may or may not want....
    This argument doesn't wash with me. You could apply this theory to 'Joop for Men' -- it doesn't make it a great fragrance. Creed have been narrowing down the options for buyers anyway -- this is what perpetuates sales of certain of their fragrances. Vetiver 48 was far superior imo. Don't mistake 'populist' for 'quality'.

Its OK, but not the style of Vetiver I prefer.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Not a good representation imo, nor does it have to be.
    OV highlights a certain facet of vetiver to bring some character to an otherwise faceless edc. And it does so wonderfully.
    This says it all.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

A decent rep yes... There is vetiver in OV. Is it prominent? No but it is quite subtle and wonderful and it makes its presence known in the dry down.

Absolutely not , and not even close on representing a modern vetiver is more like Johnson & Johnson baby lotion vibe with a smudge of vetiver buried 6feet under ....Now GV by Tom Ford is A true representation of a modern blend of fresh vetiver as not being dirty but cleaned up with a grapefruit and woodsy accord in the blend but the vetiver is felt clean, refreshingly dry throughout its life ... a clean modern take on Vetiver as no other IMHO ....peace
    Last edited by magnus611; 19th May 2014 at 02:25 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    ...is more like Johnson & Johnson baby lotion vibe with a smudge of vetiver buried 6feet under ....
    That's uncanny! Every time I wear OV people tell me I smell like this!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by BottleJunky View Post
    That's uncanny! Every time I wear OV people tell me I smell like this!
    Time for someone to get there nose checked out i think...

Just for the fun of it ive just put some on. Str8 off the top im getting a very fresh citrus, not just a standard lemon citrus, you can identify the orange citrus here, whatever it may be, there is some ginger too. I no exactly how this develops anyway, its smelling slightly more green now, but not alot.

As it progresses later it will be become somewhat more green and grassy, at the moment it is still citrus/spring fresh, and at the end there is a litle dry patchy dirt rougness, nothing much, but it will always be there. Sorry dont understand the johnsons and johnsons link here.

Update: Its now starting to take on a slightly more confierous/pine vibe. I can also understand why some people get a very slight menthol feel to it. There is also a very slight/subtle creaminess to it in the background, again, nothing much, but it is there, it makes it seem somewhat smoother.

This fragrance certainly makes you feel like youve just woken from a deep sleep and you feel alive and ready to take on anything the day throws at you, or thats how it makes me feel.

One of my favourites..
    Last edited by DMA; 19th May 2014 at 03:04 PM.

When I first shopped for OV my Neiman's SA who had sold me Paul Smith Story earlier told me, " you may not need Creed OV because it smells exactly like Paul Smith Story". We did a side by side test and they did smell almost identical. PS Story is now discontinued I think, but it turns out there was no vetiver in Story at all. It was a lemony, green very fresh cologne - no vetiver - and smelled exactly like OV. OV is not a good example of vetiver even though it might be a good to smell fragrance. The amount of vetiver in it must be very small indeed.

Basenotes Junkie

Well whatever it may or may not contain, creed always guarantees just like all other eau de parfum houses that all there fragrances will always contain between i think its somewhere around the 12 or 13% mark naturals upto 18% naturals,depending on which fragrance your talking about of course, they stand by that, and legally they have to and so they should to!!!. I dont have to doubt this but a paul smith or mugler cologne toilet water has never contained that amount of naturals, thats just the reality...
    Last edited by DMA; 19th May 2014 at 03:11 PM.

It's a nice enough piece of work, I went thru a bottle about 10 years ago, but it doesn't smell of vetiver to me at all.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Time for someone to get there nose checked out i think...One of my favourites..
    Glad to hear it's your favorite, but you don't need to impose your liking of this on to others - there are many "good" noses right on this thread that I & many others respect & they can break down a fragrance with accuracy you will be amazed on hearing...

I own OV & as mentioned earlier, do not find it worthy to have Vetiver in it's name.

While I love OV and own a full bottle, I do not think it's a good representation of the vetiver note. Despite the name, it's not vetiver dominant. If you wanted to try a "true" vetiver, I'd suggest Grey Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver, or better yet Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Yes, but there are better ones. Personally not a fan of OV because of the butter smelling accord. Some good vetiver's to check out to understand the note better, would be: Sycomore, Encre Noire, Guerlain Vetiver, Vetiver Tonka, Kenzo Air, Beckham Instinct, L`Occitane Eau de Vétyver, all of these have profound vetiver notes, and represent them in their own unique ways. Encre Noire and Sycomore are little similar to each other though.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Count me among those that think that, while Creed OV is a respectable, good-smelling fragrance that's nice to wear in warm weather, it has little vetiver about it.

So my answer is no, not representative of vetiver.

I may not always wear vetiver, but when I do I reach for Vetiver Extraordinaire or Sycomore. Guerlain Vetiver is a classic, too.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

It's a decent fragrance on its own, clean, simple, effective, office-safe, etc, etc, etc. But is it a good *vetiver* representation? Not in my books. There's very little vetiver in this one to make it a vetiver-centric fragrance. If you want vetiver, look elsewhere, there are plenty of great choices out there. If you want a clean, fresh, simple cologne for daily office-wear, OV is not a bad choice at all.

It is not that typical raw vetiver you find in other vetiver scents. It is like the name says, an original vetiver scent. This is the only vetiver scent I will wear, so yes I think it's great!

I can't smell any vetiver in Original Vetiver. The fragrance is beautiful, though.

Each of us will have his/her own idea of what a "good representation" of a vetiver fragrance is. I think Creed's take on vetiver is as valid as any others. I find it a good choice for wear in my office, especially in the summer.

Basenotes Plus

Very bright spring summer fragrance, however not much vetiver.

Not at all. Reason being is that Creed makes a habit of this. Original Santal, Original Vetiver, Royal Oud, etc, all are inferior when it comes to putting them up to fragrances that actually focus on these notes. Even TF Grey Vetiver blows away OV when it comes to being true to it's name. As far as smelling good they are very nice, but to use them as a reference is completely laughable.

In summary, the names of some Creed fragrances probably aren't the best (accurately descriptive), but the fragrances themselves smell wonderful.

As far as a good representation of vetiver: it's as far from that as a hawk from the moon.

Soapy musky with homeopathic amounts of vetiver. Not bad, but between the two I'd rather wear Mugler Cologne.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Not at all. Reason being is that Creed makes a habit of this. Original Santal, Original Vetiver, Royal Oud, etc, all are inferior when it comes to putting them up to fragrances that actually focus on these notes. Even TF Grey Vetiver blows away OV when it comes to being true to it's name. As far as smelling good they are very nice, but to use them as a reference is completely laughable.
    Exactly. Original Vetiver is not a "reference vetiver" - more like a negative control. "Minimal Vetiver" is more like it. Not sure what the "maximal vetiver" is - I'd be interested to hear opinions. I've smelled pure vetiver oils from Eden Botanicals, and I have to say, they're powerful stuff. I personally find Vetiver Extraordinaire very strong on the vetiver, but I take it from most of the big vetiver fans here that it's like jalapeńos - middle-of-the-road stuff in terms of strength.

It depends on the type of vetiver you're referring to. Indonesian vetiver, Haitian vetiver, vetiver bourbon, Sri-Lankan vetiver, Madagascan vetiver, Indian vetiver, etc. It ranges from woody to earthy to green. Haitian vetiver, that used in OV, is a green variety. So it very well could be a vetiver heavy fragrance. Not sure.

http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/...i-vetiver.html

All you'll ever want to know about vetiver.

All kinds of people asking for Green Valley on basenotes, BOOM, the Creed Boutique gets in a shipment of Green Valley.

OV discussion thread, now on Creed's blog http://blog.creedboutique.com/ask-cr...warmest-color/ today:

Finally, it’s here—springtime. With the month of May comes an avalanche of green. Verdant blades of grass and tiny leaves rushing forth, vivid and vital. Just like the change of seasons, Original Vetiver takes the same approach, calling to mind dappled sunshine through Mediterranean citrus trees.

Named for its dominant ingredient, the rustling vetiver grass, Original Vetiver relies not only on the traditional vetiver root for its fragrance but also the infusion of leaves to freshen the blend.

Rich and green, this universal fragrance enchants both the men and women who wear it thanks to its citrus-meets-spicy mix of ginger, mandarine and Italian bergamot, plus warmth-filled notes of sandalwood and ambergris.

The result: A versatile scent that suits a picnic in the park—or a meeting in the boardroom.
    So basically, there is a lot of vetiver grass in OV and maybe not so much root. So, I'd say yes, OV is a good representation of vetiver, just not the traditional root.

I think people from Creed keep up with basenotes.
    Last edited by tensor9; 22nd May 2014 at 05:02 PM.

OV is real clean.... its different. I think OV deserves a place for those who enjoy Creed.

It was my first creed, but it doesn't get much playtime ....