Code of Conduct

Question Habit Rouge & Heritage

I love LIDGE - it's the only Guerlain I currently have. I'm considering whether I should add HR and Heritage to my line up. I have heard HR compared to vintage Old Spice as well as Shalimar (both of which I love). It seems that both these scents, in EDT form, can be had pretty cheaply. Do you consider HR and Heritage to be high quality products and are they both purchase worthy?

I love the richness of LIDGE - do either of these compare in that department?

Thanks!

Default Re: Habit Rouge & Heritage

I owned Heritage EDP for a while. Very rich, but in more of a sandalwood patchouli kind of way. Very, very good fragrance, but I'd sample first because some find it a bit old fashioned.

There's no substitute to sampling both and trying them for yourself. Be sure to do that, especially since they're not too tough to come across.

That said, you can expert Habit Rouge to be a puffy cloud of powdery citrus over vanilla and light amber and leather. It's actually quite flamboyant, and not for everyone, but I can't deny how well done it is. Heritage is more approachable only because it's (in comparison) more conservative; patchouli, flowers, sandalwood, vanilla. Luca Turin's description of a brass section is apt, especially in the fragrance's first hour. If you know what Davidoff Zino smells like, you have a good sense of Heritage.

I prefer Heritage myself, and have a bottle of the vintage EdT. But again, be sure to try both and decide for yourself.

Heritage is mainly a combo of vanilla, lavender and patchouli with woods and smells nice but one to sample first. I found like a lot of others that Habit Rouge EDT was very powdery and dandified. The EDP version was a a little bit dialed back on the powdery front but more complex and long-lasting. Unfortunately I got terrible projection with this version and could only smell it if I brought my nose to where I sprayed it.

I do though highly recommend the Habit Rouge flanker called Habit Rouge L' Eau. It smells more modern and has a very lovely jasmine at it's very heart. It opens with a creamy orange citrus note and then develops with jasmine, vanilla and woods joining the olfactory party. Great fragrance and one I find I'm wearing more and more.

Hello Unadan,

For the quality, IMO Guerlain simply offers one of (if not The) best ingredients/quality of fragrance for the money today, period.
    And I am considering MSRP ; if you look around just a little you will find great deals...making the quality-price ratio unbeatable.

LIDGE being one of my very favorite fragrances, I can relate and I 'll have a go at trying to answer you a little on HR & Heritage. Just keep in mind many Basenoters are far more knowledgeable

There is something "tricky" in your question, even though it's obviously not on purpose...

If I understand correctly, you're asking about the EdT's versions....don't you think your personal expectations about richness, depth, etc...could be more adequately fullfilled by the EdP's ?

That being said, talking of their EdT's versions, I feel Heritage "closer" to LIDGE than HR...And I personally much prefer Heritage.
    I have not smelled Heritage EdP, but between the EdT's (HR & Heritage) my impression is that Heritage feels definitely more rich. Also I love Heritage from the initial blast to the end, when I am not fond of the initial harshness of HR (dry down is great though).

For Habit Rouge, I much prefer the EdP. (will probably get the Sport or L'Eau first though, because I'm in the Tropics...and I enjoy these modern flankers...my flame suit is on for the purists ).

Hope you can sample all these, before deciding what's the best for you !

Regards,
    LJD

^I'm looking at the EDT versions of these for several reasons - I can try them both locally (not the EDPs) and the EDTs are much easier to find and cheaper than there EDP counterparts. Thanks for the responses. I would seek out the EDPs if they are really THAT much better but, based on some of the responses, I'm not sure that is the case.

In my belated opinion, both are indeed worth a purchase, being an even better value for money at an affordable price and both share a certain feeling of richness, opulence, indulgence, albeit of a different kind, with LIDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    Do you consider HR and Heritage to be high quality products and are they both purchase worthy?
    Yes and Yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

^I'm looking at the EDT versions of these for several reasons - I can try them both locally (not the EDPs) and the EDTs are much easier to find and cheaper than there EDP counterparts. Thanks for the responses. I would seek out the EDPs if they are really THAT much better but, based on some of the responses, I'm not sure that is the case.
    Habit Rouge EDP is a bit different, but not necessarily better. Just deeper and a shade darker.

Can't offer an opinion on Heritage EDP.

On another front, vintage vs current, I find that Habit Rouge is noticeably better in both formulations. Heritage vintage isn't worth it, IMHO. A tad smoother in the first 5 mins, then the same, but the current Heritage actually outlasts it.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Habit Rouge EDP is a bit different, but not necessarily better. Just deeper and a shade darker.

On another front, vintage vs current, I find that Habit Rouge is noticeably better in both formulations.
    Habit Rouge EdP only appeared in 2003, so what counts as vintage?

To my nose the EdP diverges significantly from the EdT, almost to the point of being another fragrance altogether. If you like Shalimar, the closest would probably be vintage EdT (look for the gold cap).

...Héritage and Habit Rouge (EDT as well as EDP) are both among my most worn scents...love them...!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I do though highly recommend the Habit Rouge flanker called Habit Rouge L' Eau. It smells more modern and has a very lovely jasmine at it's very heart. It opens with a creamy orange citrus note and then develops with jasmine, vanilla and woods joining the olfactory party. Great fragrance and one I find I'm wearing more and more.
    I agree with Jack, I find L'Eau to be underrated--obviously here on basenotes because it has "l'eau" in the title, which is a kiss of death. It is lighter and fresher, much less powder and more user friendly. However, I love Habit rouge in almost all of its incarnations (haven't tried sport), with edp being my favorite.

Well I ordered both HR and Heritage EDTs yesterday so looking forward to wearing them!

I love LIDGE - it's the only Guerlain I currently have. I'm considering whether I should add HR and Heritage to my line up. I have heard HR compared to vintage Old Spice as well as Shalimar (both of which I love). It seems that both these scents, in EDT form, can be had pretty cheaply. Do you consider HR and Heritage to be high quality products and are they both purchase worthy?

I love the richness of LIDGE - do either of these compare in that department?

Thanks!
    L'INSTANT and L'INSTANT EXTREME have been my signatures for years,and in my opinion NOTHING compares,now Habit Rouge is a classic within itself,but its not for everyone,I LOVE it,but make sure you SAMPLE Habit Rouge and Heritage first,GUERLAIN RULES!!!!!!!

Well I ordered both HR and Heritage EDTs yesterday so looking forward to wearing them!
    Sample all the GUERLAIN'S if you can,so many GREAT GREAT fragrances...

No pre-sampling (you mentionned you could try them locally...) ?

I guess the Passion on the thread won !

Congratulations anyway on acquiring not just one, but two Guerlain's Classics !!!

Let us know how you like them.

Regards,
    LJD

I got myself a bottle of Heritage EdT (silver cap) and it's sure potent enough. I understand the EdP is heavier and more powdery. Not sure I'd like it, but I've got it on my list to sample.

How is vintage Heritage compared to current formulation? While it appears that they didn't ruin it, I wonder if the 1994 formulation has a different and appealing character.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    No pre-sampling (you mentionned you could try them locally...) ?

I guess the Passion on the thread won !

Congratulations anyway on acquiring not just one, but two Guerlain's Classics !!!

Let us know how you like them.

Regards,
    LJD
    You should love them,and if you dont you'll probably grow to love them,after all,they are Guerlain.

I can't stand Habit Rouge.