Code of Conduct

Default The magic ingredient!!

Well as I stated on another thread, I bought some ambergris tincture from Dominique Dubrana (Profumo.it).
    I requested it in stronger concentration so it is more flexible to use - I can dilute myself but I wanted to experiment with higher concentrations and I tend to make perfumes in quite small quantities.

I have now been fiddling with it for a few days. I am fully aware that I will need to wait weeks and months to fully realise its impact. I have used a little before and its profound effect didnt seem to settle in a Neroli centred blend I made until about a year had passed.

However, I have started adding it to blends and I am already seeing amazing effects. I made an "Amber Incense" fragrance - An amber accord of benzoin, vanilla, labdanum, a little sandalwood (maybe a touch of myrrh, I can't recall). I then overdosed this with a variety of frankincenses (including an unbelieveably good omani one also from profumo.it) and some other stuff - some florals - a touch of jasmine, a little citrus etc. This blend has been sitting about for a while. It sits somewhere between Creed's Acier Aluminium (without the orange tree notes) and L'Air De Desert Moroccain but quieter due to using only naturals and lacking the huge Ambroxan hit which that excellent fragrance delivers. I put in some Ambergris tincture and the transformation is striking. I cannot wait to see how this develops with age. Already, it is lifted and has that three dimensional quality. The amber has gained that animalic edge it needed. The incense sings....and it just smells better than ambroxan to me.

It seems the legends and myths are justified....
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: The magic ingredient!!

Sure are. Why do you think these materials have been used for so very long. There is a part of perfumery that can only be described as magic.

I am a fiend for ambergris. I have some lovely tinctures of all sorts brewing.

I love the whole complexity it adds and it also depends which ambergris too. The whiter ones add an invisible and non invasive quality whilst being present and the darker ones a lower buzz. They are like an underneath lift within a fragrance.

I actually just adore it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Sure are. Why do you think these materials have been used for so very long. There is a part of perfumery that can only be described as magic.
    I do agree with this. It was that element of magic and mystery that drew me in in the first place and I'm pleased to say that no matter how much I learn that element remains.

How wonderful that you can have olfactory delights, natural variations, complex science and childlike wonder all in one little bottle!

Once I've made enough tincture (should be market ready sometime next year) I plan to offer a few of my fragrances in a premium form to personal clients only, made with natural ambergris in place of the synthetic - it adds a whole extra dimension.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

It sounds amazing. I wish I had the discipline and time to create something like this. You guys are such an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Digindirt View Post
    It sounds amazing. I wish I had the discipline and time to create something like this. You guys are such an inspiration.
    Gotta agree on that. I'm not sure I could wait a year for something to be done -- I'd probably forget about it between now and then. It sounds like perfumery and wine-making have more than a few things in common.
    Fragrance reviews and ruminations: http://romanticloner.jp22.net/wp/

Some of mine are two and a half years old now and gaining in depth all the time. Patience is the key alongside only the very best quality in the first place. You only get out what you put in, in terms of quality. It doesn't miraculously get better or elevate to a higher quality on it's own.

- - - Updated - - -

.... and I make wine... You have to wait for over five years for some of the reds....