Code of Conduct
    DIRTYDUNNZ

Default What is the most OVERRATED fragrance for women?

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: What is the most OVERRATED fragrance for women?

Why are you aksing, if I may?

If I had guts, I would give you a list of five. I don't though.
    (My candidates would include but not limited to: Guerlain Shalimar, Mugler Angel, Rochas Femme, Dior Diorissimo, and Davidoff Cool Water.)

Well, it depends on personal taste. Overrated for one may not be overrated for another. I would say D&G Light Blue. Actually, anything by D&G. I kinda liked Rose the One last time I sniffed I think though...been a while though. But the SAs really are into showing whatever new D&G is out. Not really talked about much here but I've really seen too much of Vera Wang Princess and the flankers. Don't get it. Make it all stop. lol. In the 90's, CK One, Tommy Girl..rofl. Eck.

I liked Cool Water Wave quite some time ago..the original did nothing for me.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I can't recall anything from the past decade but everything from the 80s to 2000 was well worth the hype.

for swap/sale:

Here on Basenotes? Definitely Cuir de Lancome, if you ask me!

Sorry, but for me, its....

...sorry everyone, I know this is blaspheme for some.

Yes, Chanel No5.

I'll stand in the corner with you walkdogg and get stoned by bottles of No5. LOL
    DONNA

I have to agree - I have never "got" the popularity of
    Chanel No. 5!
    I thought it was just me.
    I was also disappointed with Aromatics Elixir and Epices Noires.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

^^Blasphemy, indeed ! hehehe. I love no. 5, especially the '80s (or earlier) formulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Why are you aksing, if I may?

If I had guts, I would give you a list of five. I don't though.
    (My candidates would include but not limited to: Guerlain Shalimar, Mugler Angel, Rochas Femme, Dior Diorissimo, and Davidoff Cool Water.)
    I'm sorry but Angel isn't overrated. It's one of the best of all time. Chanel N. 5 is vastly overrated. It's not even in Chanel's top 5 for women.

RIght, No.5 IS overrated, and is hideous on some skins. Still not on my list as I still do not have enough balls to spit the list out.
    (Chanel's Top 5 -- please don't believe them, it is all marketing tricks. Allure/Chance tandem does not even bear the traits of the house as M-lle was creating it.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Chanel No.5. When you look at it from a historical perspective, it is an important cultural icon, but as a fragrance, I fail to see its allure. I know it's a matter of taste, but to my nose, Cuir de Russie and No.19 are more worthy of adoration.
    Do happy

Tommy Girl.

Chanel Coco. Widely loved and worn but I find it very obtrusive, harsh and waaay too sweet. Last time I could follow my colleague's trail through the forest without being able to see her.

TF Black Orchid: I find it sickening, similar to Coco in the reaction it evokes from me.

I'm fully with G. on No. 5. I would have agreed probably that it is hugely overrated until I smelled G.'s 1980s EdP. It's really REALLY great. It is the bland state of affairs at Chanel that makes it so 'meh'.

At the risk of turning this into a debate over No.5, its importance can (IMO) hardly be overstated.
    Beaux's liberal use of the C-10-12 aldehydes was groundbreaking. No.5 paved the way for No.22 (aldehyde bomb + jasmine, ylang-ylang), Bois des Iles (aldehydes, sandalwood, ylang-ylang) and Cuir de Russie (smell the pre-Exclusif formula and you'll see it is, in Tott's words, 'No.5 laced with birchtar'). It shaped the course of not only Chanel's subsequent perfume output, but clearly gave Guerlain enough sleepless nights that they came up with Liu.
    No.5's style too was novel: Coco Chanel once described it as an 'abstraction' of a floral bouquet. How Postmodern !

I think Larimar is right here in assuming much of the ambivalence towards to No.5 is down to the current formulation.
    Last edited by gandhajala; 26th September 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Puts hand up. Er, I tried it in the early 80s, parfum and edp. It smell weird and plastic then and still does today. It was the reason I avoided all aldehyde fragrances for years.

Oh, I can wear No22.
    DONNA

Almost all celebuscents are over hyped in the press. Almost all are in the discount bins within a year. Lady Gaga's Fame with its bizarre list of notes turns out to be a fruity patchy floral. One of many, so to me overhyped.

On forums and the blogs, after a year of avid reading, whilst I fully respect the views and opinions of more experienced sniffers and posters, my personal view is that certain fragrances come into 'fashion' with the forum or blog followers, either caused by a sample pass, a blog article or a simple post by someone discovering or rediscovering a fragrant love. This rush of love may die down as quickly as it starts. Is this overhype or overrated? Probably more a passing fancy.

On a personal note I don't understand a whole house Tom Ford!

I really like a private blend or two so far..but there are several TFs I don't get.. V. Blonde. W. Patch..Black Orchid..didn't do anything at all for me.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    Sorry, but for me, its....

...sorry everyone, I know this is blaspheme for some.
    I agree.....Count me in.....And another is Aromatics Elixir.....Gary

D&G Light Blue
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Count me in, too. Not a huge fan of the numero cinco in any formulation. More for the rest of you!

The whole Annick Goutal house except for Sables

queen of the universe

I don't get N° 5 at all, either. Other than N° 19, so far Chanel eludes me.

TWolf, I'd love to hear your take on Shalimar, since it also a most beloved fragrance to many. Quality? Composition? Current vs vintage? What do you find overrated?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I just couldn't stay away, sorry folks. I was in "I don't understand Chanel N 5" camp for years, so was my husband. I searched and sniffed all concentrations and all formulations I could lay my hands on. Only when I got vintage extrait from 40's did angels sing for me and my aldehydes despising husband. I will never forget his face when I asked him to open that bottle as I didn't have enough strength to unscrew that crystal stopper myself. He made me get rid of Madame Rochas and all my Chanel N 5 experiments, as they were making him literally sick. But when he got first whiff out of that bottle, there was pure shock on his face. His words: "My God...I am afraid to give this to you, you going to like it too much." Since then we both "got" what Chanel N 5 was all about. After that experience I understood it all: Edt, Edp, current parfum, Eau premier, what have you. I currently don't have N 5 in my wardrobe but I would kill for another bottle of that 40's vintage.

I am with Twolf on Angel, to me this is most overrated fragrance ever.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 27th September 2012 at 04:33 AM.

Overrated by whom? The average Joe, Luca Turin or Basenotes?

Imo Osmanthe Yunnan. Usually smells of almost nothing. The last time I sprayed it on skin it kind of smelled disgusting. Could be my skin though. Don't believe the tester had gone bad.
    Tommy girl: I used to like it. So I wouldn't call it overrated. I can't stand it anymore though.
    Miss Dior Cherie is overrated. Coco mademoiselle on the other hand while being a good frag is just not my taste.

Blog Entries

Overrated to me, means, the fragrances on here, that i see multiple great reviews about, and buy or sample, based on reviews, and then i dislike it. Dior Addict fits that mold perfectly.

I always thought i didn't like Chanel No. 5 but, without actually trying it on myself, and i recently got a small vintage bottle, which changed my views completely. It doesn't replace Coromandel in the number 1 spot though.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Chanel Coco. Widely loved and worn but I find it very obtrusive, harsh and waaay too sweet. Last time I could follow my colleague's trail through the forest without being able to see her.
    LOL! I love Coco, and this description brought to mind Hansel and Gretel... and a delicious house hidden in the woods! (House of Candy or.... Chanel?!?!?)

I agree with Angel being overrated... although I do have a tiny, cute star shaped mini. At least I can use it as a ninja weapon if need be.

Yeah, celeb fragrances... don't get it and hugely over-hyped, overrated, etc. That said, I do admit to liking Madonna's Truth or Dare.

And the whole house of Tom Ford... what can I say? I am disappointed every time, except for the discontinued Velvet Gardenia.
    Do happy

LadyM, are we twinned souls of scent?

Oh, yes, Alityke!
    Do happy