Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens - Musc Kublai Khan

I recently received 18 Serge Lutens wax samples and was particularly interested in that fragrance. Well, it is certainly not what I expected! Now I find myself in the awkward situation that it is actually quite addictive...No candy, no spices - definitely a winner! Based on the reviews on BN I suspect the "beast" is lurking in the top notes, which are more or less missing in the wax sample. Can anyone say something about the differences between the edp and the wax sample?

In addition, is there any way to get a decant or a small sample somewhere? This is certainly not a safe blind buy and I do not want to spend 120€ based entirely on my experience with the solid wax sample...

Default Re: Serge Lutens - Musc Kublai Khan

Perfume Court has samples. The beast is in the top notes but disappears an becomes an anamalic rose scent on me. Love it and wear it regulary. Don't know anything about wax, but I do know MKK reacts to different skin types and it will either be love or hate with MKK, there's no in between. If it works there's nothing quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by massivemayhem View Post
    I recently received 18 Serge Lutens wax samples and was particularly interested in that fragrance. Well, it is certainly not what I expected! Now I find myself in the awkward situation that it is actually quite addictive...No candy, no spices - definitely a winner! Based on the reviews on BN I suspect the "beast" is lurking in the top notes, which are more or less missing in the wax sample. Can anyone say something about the differences between the edp and the wax sample?

In addition, is there any way to get a decant or a small sample somewhere? This is certainly not a safe blind buy and I do not want to spend 120€ based entirely on my experience with the solid wax sample...
    The Perfumed Court sells samples...but they're located in the US. Maybe if you look in the directory to see who's willing to decant.

I had ordered a sample, but it was mislabeled...so I can't comment on the actual scent...still impatiently waiting.

I have the wax samples and the real thing. Yes, the wax samples are the dry down. But, I really don't understand what all the MKK controversy is about. The opening notes are slightly dirty, perhaps even a little unwashed smelling, but thank you Mr. Lutens/Sheldrake for them. It is musk after all! My response every time I read one of those, "oh my god, it smells like a homeless person, crotch, etc." is, honey, get a life! MKK is what you want, if you want a REAL musk fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I have the wax samples and the real thing. Yes, the wax samples are the dry down. But, I really don't understand what all the MKK controversy is about. The opening notes are slightly dirty, perhaps even a little unwashed smelling, but thank you Mr. Lutens/Sheldrake for them. It is musk after all! My response every time I read one of those, "oh my god, it smells like a homeless person, crotch, etc." is, honey, get a life! MKK is what you want, if you want a REAL musk fragrance.
    Thank God I'm not alone in thinking this!

MKK is what you want, if you want a REAL musk fragrance.
    Amen.

My response every time I read one of those, "oh my god, it smells like a homeless person, crotch, etc." is, honey, get a life! MKK is what you want, if you want a REAL musk fragrance.
    AMEN!!!!!!

I could virtually stop looking for any other scent. MKK is my holy grail.

With all these "amens" I beginning to think that I'm in church!

With all these "amens" I beginning to think that I'm in church!
    Welcome to Our Lady of Fragrant Meditation.
    Last edited by Sloan; 5th November 2007 at 06:28 PM.

Dependent

I am devoted to MKK

Amen

I never get the reactions to it, but I tend to neuter musk. As for people saying it smells like a homeless person, my reaction is "where are your homeless!?!"

On my skin it smells like an animalic floral, in a very good way (the wax sample that is); I do not get this homeless person thing at all and particularly admire the lack of any sweetness, spices and other notes which makes it much, much better than Musc Ravageur in my opinion.

I guess I have to get myself an early christmas present then!

How does MKK compare to By Man by D&G ?
    and... Where can I pick up a bottle here in the states ??

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Where can I pick up a bottle here in the states ??
    You can't. It's Europe only. At least for now....

Quote Originally Posted by massivemayhem View Post
    On my skin it smells like an animalic floral, in a very good way (the wax sample that is); I do not get this homeless person thing at all and particularly admire the lack of any sweetness, spices and other notes which makes it much, much better than Musc Ravageur in my opinion.

I guess I have to get myself an early christmas present then!
    It does have a very powerful animal flavour for the first few minutes but i find it dries down to a warm subtle skin scent rather like the evening after a day on the beach smell. I prefer this to the Malle one though as that just goes all sweet vanilla on me.

HI I am starting to forget which one is which now as there are too many bottles in your collection
    Last edited by werefox; 7th November 2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: comment

Quote Originally Posted by werefox View Post
    Shame Fenton that your perfume spending is your only passion in life.
    As you have 48 bottles of perfumes that your g/f cannot even identify anymore!
    Early Xmas Present? Frivolous to the extreme!
    Maybe you should try spending the passion, effort & time on repairing damage by spending money on paying debts instead of adding to them|!.
    Something to think about when your smelling your perfumes on a lonely night is it not?
    Yikes...can we assume you're the bitter girlfriend?

Screw debts...you only live once! I want to be burried with a bottle of Lutens...Mwahahahaha.

Not so much bitter just cant tell the difference in which 1 is which so goes unappreciated thats all & i think thats a real shame. Some of the perfumes are wonderful and could smell them all day
    Last edited by werefox; 7th November 2007 at 03:59 PM.

Aren't they his perfumes? Why do you need to know which is which?

And better yet...why do I care? None of my beeswax...

Lol depends who wears them some suit me aswell. No none of your beeswax but who cares?. I just want to smell perfumes and remember what they are called. How am I supposed to get him surprises when I cant remember which is which?

Quote Originally Posted by werefox View Post
    Lol depends who wears them some suit me aswell. No none of your beeswax but who cares?. I just want to smell perfumes and remember what they are called. How am I supposed to get him surprises when I cant remember which is which?
    Oh...you're trying to keep track for gift buying...just look at his wardrobe.

thanks for advice i shall do that

I'm in my first full wearing of Muscs Koublai Khan today and I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I guess with all the hype I was expecting something brash, bold, controversial even. But MKK is none of these things. It reminded me a bit of an 80's power scent on the opening - not any particular 80's scent - just the profile. It was loud, but certainly not overpowering like the Kiehl's I once tried. It settled down quickly into a smooth musk with an unwashed edge. This was pleasant to me however, not rank or nasty, and I found no fecal or animalic notes. Unexpectedly, "subdued" is an appropriate term to describe this scent.

It is sweet, but it stays far away from the realm of candied musk that is Musc Ravageur. It is, in fact, very natural smelling - and settles into a nice skin scent on me. I catch a whiff now and then and fancy it coming from my own pores. If my sweat smelled like this I wouldn't have the need for cologne. I'm certain that it was created for intimate moments with a partner - and it seems best suited for this. MKK is the smell of The Morning After (minus the morning breath )

With so many scents intent on covering up our natural odors, it's refreshing to find one that blends so naturally, and wears so unobtrusively. It's a nice change too from the cumin-laden scents that try to be dirty by design. Compared to MKK they all fall flat.
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 8th November 2007 at 06:23 PM.
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

A sublime scent, evocative, of the East, where the best spices, flowers come from. Mix them together with what they know, and its alchemy, nothing short. For all those that presribe, to Aqua De Gio and CK fragrances and smell like a Lemon tree, or cheap Ozone scent, you really should try this. It just smells of £££'s and sheer animal magnatism. Nothing short of pheremones super charged and the elixir of attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by buyers_remorse View Post
    A sublime scent, evocative, of the East, where the best spices, flowers come from.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by buyers_remorse View Post
    A sublime scent, evocative, of the East, where the best spices, flowers come from.
    Agree.

AMEN and hallelujah for MKK!! It's my holy grail too.

A horrible scent that smells like tooth decay.

It amazes me how fragrances can be so different on different skin and to different noses...

On my single wearing of MKK, it definitely smelled like a pair of underwear I'd just gone to the gym in, mixed with some delicate florals. Initially unpleasant, but still very interesting, and it improved as it dried down with the musk becoming more subtle.

I can see the appeal of animalics / musk, and I love how they are used in MFK CPLS and Musc Ravageur, but I admit to fearing the unwashed impression that I may leave on others. Each to their own, and to be honest, those who enjoy and have the courage to wear the scent are the winners here.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    You can't. It's Europe only. At least for now....
    Luckyscent sells it.

You can get it on Amazon.com (that's where I got mine) or eBay.

Count me in as a fan.....It is like a musky rose butter. I consider it smooth, soft and original.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Luv the stuff. I would go so far as to call it beautiful in an ethereal androgynous kind of way. (He says getting carried away)

I've owned it for a couple of years now and have just finished the bottle. I particularly like it when it first goes on; rosy, fruity with a deep base. I'm not so keen on the civit dry down though, which I find very 'blunt' and 'flat'. All on all its a great scent but I'm not sure if I'll be buying it again.