Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your the 'average joe' which two frags do you live with for the rest of your life?

Everyone knows these people. They buy one designer frag that they usually hear about through word of mouth or often recommended by a woman. They will wear it every occasion often over-applying. Put yourself in their shoes if your the average joe and had to restrict yourself to one summer and one winter fragrance what would they be?

Keep in mind being the average joe price will be a factor and you know nothing of niche frags. Ideally these won't necessarily be your favourite frags nor will they be rare but two that are universally pleasing. For me those would be...

Summer:

Winter:

Default Re: Your the 'average joe' which two frags do you live with for the rest of your life?

Eau Savuage - Summer
    Noble Vetiver - winter

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Your the 'average joe' which two frags do you live with for the rest of your life?

Dior Fahrenheit. Winter
    Chanel Edition Blanche. Summer

I probably would have picked the some two, alexwagner. If I were the 'average joe' that is... I really like both of the fragrances though..

Boudoir
    - Vivienne Westwood

Kingdom
    - Alexander McQueen

Chanel pour Monsieur - summer
    Azzaro pour Homme - winter

Givenchy Gentleman and Eau Sauvage (Any time really)

Eau Sauvage and Guerlain Vétiver

Eau Sauvage - summer
    Dior Homme - winter

Live Jazz - Summer
    Fahrenheit - Winter

Banned

Summer: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren
    Winter: Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Dependent

If thats the case, i will take dior homme and bleu de chanel
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Eau Sauvage is a good call for summer.

For winter I'd take Polo Modern Reserve.

Basenotes Plus

Summer - Creed Millesime Imperial
    Winter - Mugler Pure Havane
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Are we talking strictly designer fragrances?

Summer: Kouros
    Winter: Egoiste

Sound Scents

Original Polo by Ralph Lauren and Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I don't quite get this.
    If you are by definition uninformed then surely you will choose the ones that are advertised and recommended to you. Are you really asking "What is the most commercial crowd pleasing scent? " or even "What is the biggest selling scent? "
    If so a quick google search should answer it.
    This just came up in no particular order from the perfume shop's best sellers:

"From top left: Chanel Allure, Armani Code, Terre D’Hermes, Joop!, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, Boss Bottled, Dolce & Gabbana The One, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male, L’eau d’Issey Pour Homme, Davidoff Cool Water, Paco Rabanne 1 Million."

Strangely no mention of ADG..

Perhaps this is more useful:
    http://boisdejasmin.com/2011/09/top-...-perfumes.html

Chanel Platinum Egoiste. Every season, every occasion.

No, I don't know "these people". And what makes you think that they don't know any so called niche fragrances? Creed's, for example, are readily available in department stores. They might not be geeky enough to know that they are niche though, that's true.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Farenheit Absolute
    Dior Homme Intense

Tuscany Pour Homme by Aramis

tuscany-by-aramis-for-men.jpg

Armani Code

Armani_Code_Men_50ml_EDT_Spray_3.jpg

Gengis Khan & Balafre

Chanel Egoiste and Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte (summer)

YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration
    Pierre Balmain - Carbone de Balmain

Banned
    Blog Entries

cool water, forever. people on bn keep hating, but it's an all-time great classic to me.

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 1st January 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Gucci PHII
    Egoiste

If that counts

Creed Aventus EDIT: Chanel Bleu (Average Joe has no idea what Creed is)
    La Nuit de l'homme
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 26th September 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Blog Entries

When I was an "average joe", the only place I went to was Macy's, and some known local fragrance shops around here. I did not even enter Sephora because I thought it's only for women's.

My friends here thought the same way about Sephora, until I sort of "introduced" it to them. One friend even said "They have men's cologne here?", and another friend never heard of Terre D'Hermes until I brought him the bottle to sample.

If I were the same person I was before, I would have no distinction between Summer and Winter fragrances; and I'd probably pick Bleu de Chanel as my cologne.

The answer holds no mystery:
    1. The most popular (sales).
    2. The 2nd most popular.
    Regardless of wearing appropriateness / suitability... as I believe the 'average' gives it little, if any, attention. Decades back, it was Grey Flannel year 'round. Fast forward... AdG, same. Fast forward... A*men, same. The cologne du jour is always in the air.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 26th September 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: grammar
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Creed Millesime Imperial/ Frapin 1270: summer

Dior Homme intense/ Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille: winter

Chanel Platinum Egoiste - Spring/Summer
    Gucci Pour Homme II - Fall/Winter

Chanel Egoiste EDT
    Le Labo Iris 39

Summer:
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Kenneth Cole Black

Winter:

Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste - Spring/Summer
    Gucci Pour Homme II - Fall/Winter
    I think some people are missing the point. The average Joe has no clue that niche fragrances exist. I sure didn't until I became a member of Basenotes. The average Joe shops for fragrances in the high street, not in fragrance boutiques, or more upscale shops that might have Creeds & the like. The average Joe isn't going to spend £100 on a fragrance.

Can someone define the average Joe in 2012? Surely he would be middle class, work in an office, use the internet and thus have heard about Aventus. If you look at some of the youtube reviewers there are quite a few who seem like average Joes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Can someone define the average Joe in 2012? Surely he would be middle class, work in an office, use the internet and thus have heard about Aventus. If you look at some of the youtube reviewers there are quite a few who seem like average Joes to me.
    I've worked in an office, I know how to use the internet, but i'd never heard of Aventus or any niche fragrances until I joined basenotes. The average Joe knows what's available in Boots, Debenhams, The Perfume Shop etc.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    I've worked in an office, I know how to use the internet, but i'd never heard of Aventus or any niche fragrances until I joined basenotes. The average Joe knows what's available in Boots, Debenhams, The Perfume Shop etc.
    I could see the price put some off. I really think Creed is very well known though. Even on non fragrance boards the name seems to pop up right along Calvin Klein and Boss if fragrance is the topic.

Think (some) Debenhams even stock Creed now. There was a thread about it the other day.

Nobody in my circle will have ever heard of Creed or any other niche fragrance house. Frangrance isn't a big deal to most men (especially here in the UK as i'm sure you know). Most guys will pick out something that they (or often their g/f) thinks smells nice while they're in Boots or somewhere like that buying toiletries. No average Joe i've ever come across knows a thing about niche fragrances. In my world, they're known only by fragrance nuts like me.

- Pure Malt
    - Dior homme intense
    - Platinum Egoiste
    - Bvlgari Aqva
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Casual: Le Male (this is light to me, perfect for spring/summer)
    Fancy: Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I could see the price put some off. I really think Creed is very well known though. Even on non fragrance boards the name seems to pop up right along Calvin Klein and Boss if fragrance is the topic.

Think (some) Debenhams even stock Creed now. There was a thread about it the other day.
    I have also seen Creed in John Lewis (Brent Cross).

I think more so in First World Megacities such as London, but otherwise, I am always surprised when I walk into The Bay in Calgary/Toronto/Vancouver, and people who work in the industry have no idea what Creed is. To this, I give my head a shake, I mean, if someone sold Hyundais, I would expect them to have heard of what A Rolls Royce is - but I digress.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

1. Prada Amber Pour Homme
    2. Live Jazz
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Summer: Boss Bottled

Winter: Pure Malt (Maybe La Nuit De L'Homme)

prada infusion d'homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Polo Green and Azzaro Pour Homme.

Aventus
    L'eau D'Issey

Dependent

assuming i know nothing about frags

summer polo blue
    winter polo black
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    I think some people are missing the point. The average Joe has no clue that niche fragrances exist. I sure didn't until I became a member of Basenotes. The average Joe shops for fragrances in the high street, not in fragrance boutiques, or more upscale shops that might have Creeds & the like. The average Joe isn't going to spend £100 on a fragrance.
    I'm confused...were you saying the 2 I listed were "niche" & out of reach or unknown by the average Joe? If so, I could see that to a point. At least here in the US, then it would probably be a Polo, Nautica or Hugo Boss frag that most people would grab for, not even really knowing about others. But, I don't think the 2 I listed are all that unknown & they definitely aren't niche. You can find them at any Sephora or major department store that I know of, and I don't live in a major US city. Chanel & gucci, because they are major designers, are fairly well-known, and PE & PH2 are 2 of their most popular, mainstream offerings. So, yes, if I truly knew absolutely nothing about frags, they would likely be 1 notch above the average consumers knowledge base & price point...but not too far off & I still think they are 2 of the most versatile options for those seasons.

Old Spice and Canoe
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

summer - Chanel Allure Sport

winter - Gucci PH 2

Guerlainista

I'd probably have Aramis and Habit Rouge.

Or are those too niche? If so, Brut and Old Spice.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gucci PHII

ckOne

Whoops, I guess the "no niche" stipulation rules out my choice of Aventus. I will stick with the Issey Miyake, and pair it with John Varvatos Vintage then.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

My average Joe will rock these two:

Dior Fahrenheit (evening) & Esencia Loewe (day)

But with these 2 there's no way he will remain 'average'.

Armani code
    Allure Homme Sport
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Also with my thread I don't mean to imply any kind of snobbery as I'm not talking down to the average dude as we've all been there...just thought it would make a good discussion.

CKOne
    Hugo Energise

Bleu de Chanel & Fahrenheit IF the "average Joe" had above average taste!

Eternity by CK and L'coste Challanger.