Code of Conduct

Default Can I make my own Molecule 01 and/or Molecule 02 ?

I'm a bit baffled here. I'm thinking of buying samples of Molecule 01 and Molecule 02 from Luckyscent. A full bottle of each sells for $135, which seems kind of crazy based on the cost of the ingredients. Assuming I buy the samples and enjoy them, can I really make my own? Can anybody here clue me in on what exactly I'd need to make Molecule 01 and Molecule 02?

I see Iso E Super selling at the Perfumer's Apprentice for 15ml for $6. I'd need to dilute it with something, right? Is it really as simple as mixing the two ingredients in a decant bottle?

It seems crazy that a bottle of Molecule 01 or 02 costs $135. $35 seems more reasonable, but I realize 'worth' is defined by what people will pay. Is there something that would make the real thing worth that much?

- - - Updated - - -

D'oh! I completely forgot there's a DIY forum here.

Default Re: Can I make my own Molecule 01 and/or Molecule 02 ?

Molecule01 is supposed to contain only Iso E Super. I suppose about 5-15% in pure alcohol or perfumers alcohol would give an alike impression. I am sure this is dicussed before on this forum, so if you use the search option you will find more information.

In general the value of the materials used for a reasonable middleclass perfume is considered to be about 130 USD / 100 EUR per liter, so a bottle of say 60 ml / 2 fl oz would 'cost' about 8 USD / 6 EUR. In large amounts ISO E Super and alcohol are rather cheap, in this case the price would be less then 13 USD / 10 EUR per liter! You also pay for service, for the huge marketing cost, the bottle, development cost of failing fragrances, etc.

Post number 02 in this thread is where I give the basic method for making the stuff, with other details emerging in discussion further on in the thread.

For those who don't want to go to the trouble I'm happy to supply Iso E Super, in a proper perfume atomiser bottle and at a reasonable price in whatever concentration you desire (up to the IFRA limit).
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Chris Bartlett, your posts are nothing short of spectacular. The more I read up on the suggestions you and others have posted, the more fascinated I am. I bought a sample of Molecule 01, which finally arrived today. I'm three hours into wearing it, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. I'm also kind of baffled by it, to be honest. It's a soft smell, but it's very present, if that make sense. It's almost as if I feel it as much as I smell it. Very odd. I can now see why Iso E Super is so common in scents.

I regret not ordering a sample of Molecule 02 at the same time. I may have to get around to ordering it too.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Chris Bartlett, your posts are nothing short of spectacular. The more I read up on the suggestions you and others have posted, the more fascinated I am. I bought a sample of Molecule 01, which finally arrived today. I'm three hours into wearing it, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. I'm also kind of baffled by it, to be honest. It's a soft smell, but it's very present, if that make sense. It's almost as if I feel it as much as I smell it. Very odd. I can now see why Iso E Super is so common in scents.

I regret not ordering a sample of Molecule 02 at the same time. I may have to get around to ordering it too.
    Thanks! I'm glad you're finding them useful. I've not been asked for it thus far but there is no reason in principle I couldn't produce a pure Ambroxan fragrance too - Ambroxan is vastly more expensive than Iso E Super though.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Hi Chris,

I am new to this forum and to DIY perfume making but I was wondering if you could tell me or direct me to where I can learn how to make my own Molecule 02? Basically I've learned it's just ambroxan and perfumers alcohol, excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong. I purchased ambroxan from perfumeres apprentice and perfumers alcohol from save on scents but just don't know how to mix them up to get the Molecule 02 scent that I love so much! If you could help in any way I would really appreciate it

Don't know where to ask but is anyone on basenotes outside of Chris selling a complete ISO Super E dilution/fragrance? I'd rather not have to purchase the accessory supplies and being in the states, shipping might be killer. Still might go through Mr. Bartlett because of his professionalism (if he has the time). Quick question, approximately how much is international shipping (I know you usually only stay in Europe, just curious if you happen to have done some shipments before).

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Trojan View Post
    Don't know where to ask but is anyone on basenotes outside of Chris selling a complete ISO Super E dilution/fragrance? I'd rather not have to purchase the accessory supplies and being in the states, shipping might be killer. Still might go through Mr. Bartlett because of his professionalism (if he has the time). Quick question, approximately how much is international shipping (I know you usually only stay in Europe, just curious if you happen to have done some shipments before).
    Shipping to the US for an item of this size is about £11 I'm afraid.

I'm currently charging £29 for Iso and £45 for Ambro (equivalent to 01 and 02 respectively except that you can have anywhere in the 10-20% range concentration for Iso and Ambro is made with Ambrofix rather than Ambroxan and it's at 5%, which I think is slightly stronger than 02). That's for 100ml in both cases.

Ambro.jpg

If you are wondering why I used Ambrofix rather than Ambroxan I've given the results of a detailed evaluation of the two materials in post number 15 in this basenotes thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stella999 View Post
    Hi Chris,

I am new to this forum and to DIY perfume making but I was wondering if you could tell me or direct me to where I can learn how to make my own Molecule 02? Basically I've learned it's just ambroxan and perfumers alcohol, excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong. I purchased ambroxan from perfumeres apprentice and perfumers alcohol from save on scents but just don't know how to mix them up to get the Molecule 02 scent that I love so much! If you could help in any way I would really appreciate it
    Making it up is straightforward, first weigh out the required amount of Ambroxan - for a 100ml bottle you will need 4g to make it at 5% concentration. Ideally do this in a flask - at any rate a container large enough to contain 100ml of ethanol with plenty of room to swirl and stir - then top up to 80g with ethanol. You'll have about 100ml and it will take a while for the crystals to go into solution. It is possible to get Ambroxan into solution up to about 10% but it needs a lot of agitation. Higher concentrations soon result in it crystallising out on the sides of the bottle so are not a good idea.

If you don't have a scale you'll have to estimate the amount of ambroxan and that's deceptive - 4g takes up about 8ml of space, so if that's the size you bought from PA then simply use all of it. You can measure 100ml of ethanol in a kitchen measuring jug and it will weigh about 80g so that's easy.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 8th January 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: minor corrections
    Chris Bartlett

Thank you so much Chris for all this great information! I did not know you sell a version of this yourself. I think I want to just buy yours! I want to the site and couldn't find the bottle of Ambro to order. Could you tell me how? I live in California. Thanks again for your quick reply and the info!

Sorry, I should have made clear that neither Iso nor Ambro are part of the standard range I have on the website: I make them to order. If you'd like one simply email me at enquiry@pellwall-perfumes.com and I will sort out the details with you.
    Chris Bartlett

hi guys

new to this forum and it seems i'm in love in it

can anyone suggest where can i buy small qunatities of Ambrofix (like 10-50 kgs each order) to make the Molecule 2?

thanks,

Eric

oh... and one more question

anyone has an idea on the formula of the Escentric 01 Escentric Molecules and Escentric 02 Escentric Molecules?

Quote Originally Posted by eric1969 View Post
    hi guys

new to this forum and it seems i'm in love in it

can anyone suggest where can i buy small qunatities of Ambrofix (like 10-50 kgs each order) to make the Molecule 2?

thanks,

Eric
    10-50 Kilograms would be a very large amount indeed - do you mean 10-50g?

You can buy it pre-diluted at Hermitage Oils or you can buy small amounts of the crystals from me. If you really want to buy 50Kg Iím happy to put you in touch with a supplier. You donít say which part of the world you are in btw which will make a difference . . .
    Chris Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    10-50 Kilograms would be a very large amount indeed - do you mean 10-50g?

You can buy it pre-diluted at Hermitage Oils or you can buy small amounts of the crystals from me. If you really want to buy 50Kg I’m happy to put you in touch with a supplier. You don’t say which part of the world you are in btw which will make a difference . . .
    I mean Kgs. not grams
    i am located in Israel, so anywhere in Europe or USA would work

I mean Kgs. not grams
    In that case email me at enquiry@pellwall-perfumes.com and I will sort out the details with you.
    Chris Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    In that case email me .
    Just did

I mean Kgs. not grams
    I'm in Israel too. If you want to smell it before buying, let me know.. I can't see why would you need so much, though.. I think that 1% in ethanol is plenty strong.. (Not sure what's the dosage on molecule 02 is, though)..