Code of Conduct

Default Are you paranoid about your frags too?

I don't know if I have a problem....are you paranoid about your frags too? Does the least thing you do make you feel your bottle's compromised? for example, leaving your bottle in the bathroom / on a windowsill for say a day or two?........leaving your bottle uncapped for a few days?.......shaking your bottle or dropping it? Does any of these make you feel your fragrance is ruined?

Maybe it's because I cherish every fragrance I purchase.....just last week, I travelled to South Africa. While roaming through town I bought a 100ml bottle of HERMES EQUIPAGE. I carried this bottle around pretty much the entire day in a bag hanging around my neck while touring through the city. I even visited an outdoor pub, drank a little and danced a little....so obviously my bottle was shaking the whole time. When I got to my hotel, I feared I might have ruined my frag. Even though it smelled okay (I guess) after trying it....I still wasn't satisfied. Do I have a reason to feel like this?

Default Re: Are you paranoid about your frags too?

No but I don't leave it in the sunlight, heat, etc. I just think this is common sense. I don't care about caps being left off, shaking the bottle which I actually do sometimes (lightly of course). If I am going away and I know I am going to adjust my thermostat up a few degrees, I make sure I bring my bottles into a dark cool lower level of my house and not leave them in the upstairs hot closet while I am gone. So I guess I am paranoid in that sense but my upstairs closet is usually around 78F in the summer with my AC on. It could get over 80 when I am away.

Don't have any worries as I am very careful about how I store my fragrances.

I keep all my fragrance in by basement in a cold and dark room.. so i dont need to worry much
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I keep them in my bedroom closet. It's dark and cool. Fragrances are meant to be used so they're going to get nicked up every now and then.

I just recently started to worry about the juice becoming bad after a few years regardless of how I store them. I keep them in a dark cabinet out of their boxes and the room stays moderate/room temperature constantly. I would hate for all this investing to go to waste.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

thanks for your thoughts ....I'm very careful too, hence my being paranoid!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    so would you mind carrying a bottle of frag around for a whole day after purchase, moving up n down n probably shaking the frag the entire period...like I did mine ?

I store them very carefully, but I'm always a little angry when the UPS truck comes very late in the afternoon on a hot day -- that stuff spends all day on that truck baking away. I guess fragrances should only be ordered during the cooler months - just to be sure they handle the journey as well as possible.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This is how I am also.....Gary

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I don't think your frags will suffer much during its journey in a UPS truck on a hot day. More importantly is that they remain in the box away from sunlight. I have fragrances from the 80's which are in excellent condition today solely because I kept them inside their boxes and away from sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I store them very carefully, but I'm always a little angry when the UPS truck comes very late in the afternoon on a hot day -- that stuff spends all day on that truck baking away. I guess fragrances should only be ordered during the cooler months - just to be sure they handle the journey as well as possible.
    Haha, I've been the same way. I store mine in a drawer out of the light, but had ordered several frags this summer & always worried about the same thing. Sounds like temporary situations like that aren't a big deal, so that's good news.

You're not alone! I also worry about my fragrances - especially because of the fact that it'll take so long to finish them. Maybe even decades, considering how many bottles I have.

Just keep your frags away from heat and light and they'll last at least a decade. I doubt shaking will do anything.

If heat mattered, then the 5 or 6 scents that I've kept in my car at various times would have been ruined by the 50 degree C temperatures it gets to when I park it at the beach in summer time. None have ever gone off on me. Just keep them away from direct sunlight, which is known to damage them.

Why you are worried about leaving the cap off escapes me. The function of the cap is to protect the spray mechanism, rather than the scent itself.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

I do worry about direct sunlight, and I also hate it when the mailman/ups guy comes at the wrong time and the frag stays in the mailbox or on the front porch for hours in the heat, but I never worry about shaking them and I don't worry about the cap either. I agree with what has been said also that frags are meant to be used, so I use them, I'm careful with them but I don't go to extremes to keep them perfect.

I went on a little vacay to Hawaii a few weeks ago and picked up quite a haul. I bought Acqua di Gio Essenza, vintage Dior Homme, Hermessence gift set, and some L'Occitane...so altogether about $500 worth of smell goods. Before I flew back home I bubble wrapped the **** out of all my frags and taped the caps on the L'Occitanes. Luckily they all made the trip safely.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Are you sure you weren't drinking from that bottle of Equipage you had with you?

No need to get paranoid at all. It's just fragrance.

Usually not. I keep them in a dark drawer and don't think twice about them

Banned

Nope.

Banned

Only in the case of exposure to heat and light.

Nope. Some of my oldest bottles were stored in sub-optimal conditions for quite a while, and none have degraded so far.

Just store them in a cupboard away from direct sunlight and excessive heat - no big deal.
    I expect my 250+ bottle collection to last at least 10+ solid good years, before I finish the bottles........
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Its fine.

How did you hang a bag around your neck though?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    How did you hang a bag around your neck though?
    You know that kind of small (sometimes leather) bag with a long strap that you can hang around your neck. People mostly keep water bottles or cameras in them....or any other item for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's just fragrance.
    yeah it is....but it still cost me a couple of papers though!! Equipage cost me a little over $100.

I think most of them will not be affected by any very temporary shipping conditions. A greater concern could be ordering from an unfamiliar online source where you have no idea of the storage conditions or length thereof prior to purchase. Of course, once received, keep them in a place free of light and ideally in a cool temperature.

I keep my fragrances on shelves in my closet.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Are you sure you weren't drinking from that bottle of Equipage you had with you?

No need to get paranoid at all. It's just fragrance.
    I totally agree. They're not investments, they're depreciating from the moment you "drive it off the lot". Use 'em and spray like you mean it! That said, use good sense and keep them out of light and heat.

Nah, I don't pay 'em a single thought; I've done all I can do to ensure their longevity, anything unfortunate that happens is beyond my control.

Ive noticed that most if not all of your threads since you started posting here are about you freaking out worrying about ruining your fragrances. You really should realize that perfumes are not delicate flowers. they are made in sturdy bottles and shipped all over the world in boxes that are thrown around with little regard to what is inside. It is actually very hard to ruin a fragrance besides leaving it in a window for weeks exposed to sun or cooking it in an oven. You will probably never do anything to affect any frags during everyday activities. Calm down and enjoy what you have.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    It is actually very hard to ruin a fragrance besides leaving it in a window for weeks exposed to sun or cooking it in an oven.
    Wait, you mean...you guys don't store your frags in the oven?

Blog Entries

I'm definitely paranoid about my fragrances. I'm positive that aliens are trying to abduct my vintage bottles and replace them with cheap but superior knock-offs, that are exactly the same except for different isotopic ratios. You can tell the alien fragrances by their higher quality control. Alien Aventus smells exactly the same, no matter what the batch number, and there is never any olfactory fatigue whatsoever. Alien colognes also have remarkable longevity, and never go bad.

Here is the world's expert on alien fragrances. He's a member of AFBaseNotes.mil.

The fact that he looks like John Travolta is NOT a coincidence!!!

(PS - In all seriousness, this is actually a really great museum, and I urge anybody who is ever in Las Vegas to drop in for a visit.)