Code of Conduct

Default SOTD: Thursday 27th September 2012

Morning my loves,

Another cold cold one up here this morning.

I'm expecting scents in the mail today but I'm not sure if I will wait for them or apply a frag now....

If I do decide to spray before the mail it will be: Dior Homme (vintage)

Hope everyone has a great day!

Default Re: SOTD: Thursday 27th September 2012

Absolue Pour le Matin ~ Francis Kurkdjian
    What I've Been Wearing:

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post

Absolue Pour le Matin ~ Francis Kurkdjian
    A very VERY nice scent

lorenzo villoresi vetiver. i've decided from now on to post pics of designs i find cool, rather than the actual frag, just for a change, relevant or not.

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    lorenzo villoresi vetiver. i've decided from now on to post pics of designs i find cool, rather than the actual frag, just for a change, relevant or not.
    Amazing looking bike!

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning all. It is getting cooler by the day.

SOTD is Spiritueuse Double Vanille.
    Do happy

Good morning! Serge Lutens Chypre rouge again. The weather is very grey and gloomy, and CR is perfect and uplifting!
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Frapin L'Humaniste

Good Morning,

Guerlain Li¨ - vintage extrait that was gifted me by the incredibly generous Larimar.

Looking forward to tonight's Perfume Lovers London meetup - Grant will be taking us through a history of men's scents. I belive BNers Christ Bartlett and Candy Perfume Boy are attending, too.

Have a great day, all.

Hello all. PG Iris Ta´zo 14.

Have a wonderful time gandhajala, please can we have a full report tomorrow?

Not bad here, grey not too cold and hey its not raining!!!
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Good Morning,

Guerlain Li¨ - vintage extrait that was gifted me by the incredibly generous Larimar.

Looking forward to tonight's Perfume Lovers London meetup - Grant will be taking us through a history of men's scents. I belive BNers Christ Bartlett and Candy Perfume Boy are attending, too.

Have a great day, all.
    Have a great time! Wish I could be there too. I found out about it too late.
    Do happy

Basenotes Plus

Gandhajala, enjoy! And yes, please give us a recap. What fun.

SOTD is Donna Karan Cashmere Mist

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Have a great evening, G - look forward to the report.

Xerjoff 1861 today.

SOTE

We are back up, at least for now!

I am in Different Company Bois d'Iris today.
    Dr. G, have a lovely meet up and please do report back.
    Danny, that motorcylce looks great, but I would not want to take a road trip on it Style over function?

Basenotes Plus

Sounds like fun, have a good time, Gandhajala!

SotA is Frederic Malle Noir Epices. I really like the orange and rose beginning and it gets even better when the spice and wood start coming through.

Have a great day!

Hello everyone!

I'm in Dior Addict again, so here's another fabulous RenÚ Gruau illustration for Dior.

That definitely sounds like something you'd enjoy ...have a great time gandhajala!

Oh ((Wolfie)), about Fleurs de Bulgarie - you also introduced me to it, so I have you to thank for that one, too ...and I always think fondly of you when I wear it.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 27th September 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I just decided to take a break from some work I am doing and spray Safari, by Ralph Laruren, It's a chilly day here and I'm enjoying it so much!

Pink Flowers

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Thursday 27th September 2012

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm testing SL Santal Majuscule today. I think I like it, then a stray "sweaty BO" note will pop in and I think I don't like it ... then it smells really good and then that phantom yucky note will appear again. It's taking me for a ride today. Or maybe it's just my imagination as I don't recall anyone mentioning a sweaty BO note when reviewing this fragrance.

G, the London meetup sounds like great fun! Have a good time report back, please.

hugs to everyone ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Thursday 27th September 2012

Fantastic danny
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

CJ Scents Sandalwood edp
    Last edited by MorganFay; 27th September 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    A very VERY nice scent
    Indeed thank you Fragranceman.

Philosykos ~ Diptyque

Just out the shower loving Diptyque at the moment.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

i've decided from now on to post pics of designs i find cool, rather than the actual frag, just for a change, relevant or not.
    Danny, that's excellent. I love how our peeps post images that speak to their way of thinking. I've come to count on Kumquat's expressive artistic finds and Hedonist's snapshots and, oh, the flowers and advertisements you folks find.

On a gray and chilly day, I'm r-e-a-l-l-y enjoying layering a little of this:

And a little of that:

(from my regular rotation)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Here I am in my Chantilly again. My husband especially loves the hat.

^He's right, lilybelle - the hat is perfectly charming!

Hello there, LilyValley - welcome to basenotes! You smell beautiful in your Safari!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Welcome LilyValley I don't seem to have said hi before. Please stick around for the ride.

SotD is Bottega Veneta.

Life still rather challenging

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    ^He's right, lilybelle - the hat is perfectly charming!
    Thank you. I wasn't too sure, but now I feel alright about it.

Welcome, LilyValley!!

I hope things improve soon, Alityke.

I'm wearing Tam Dao today -- the 3rd day in a row. Those who know me will say, "Uh oh." And they'd be right.

It's been a while since I've posted. The last 8 weeks have been packed with the kind of life change events about which psychologists say more than one or two per year will emotionally stress a person. I've had a minimum of 4. In 8 weeks. I'd say there's been some emotional stress.

I won't go through all of them (you all know about the divorce trial and settlement), but I'll hit two of the most recent and significant -- one great and one horrible.

The great one -- I sold the house and even signed the initial offer papers on the day of the 17th wedding anniversary. And I'm more than OK with that. It had a wonderfully-pleasing symmetry. The buyers got one hell of a deal, and we took a bath, but I don't even care. It's the only offer we've had since we listed it on June 1, 2011, and it's the only time there was even sustained interest. Without that offer, I could easily have been paying for it for another year. The sale closes on the 4th, and I'm terrifically happy about it.

Now for the horrible. Yesterday, I had to put down my beloved 11.5 year-old Bearded Collie, Dugan. (I'll post a picture tomorrow.) A tumor apparently had been growing in or near his intestines for the last 3-6 months without any obvious symptoms until Tuesday morning when he became very ill. He spent the day at the vet's, showing completely normal bloodwork and just getting re-hydrated. I brought him home at the end of the day with directions to come back Wednesday morning so they could do some scans. He crashed around 10:00pm Tuesday. After one of the worst nights of my life, when he was in so much pain he couldn't find a way to lie down for more than 30 seconds without crying and having to move, I called my vet at home at 6:00 am, and she opened up the clinic for me early. I took him in, and they ran more bloodwork (which then showed the massive system crash) and did the scan which is when they saw the tumor. Dugan had systemic lupus (fairly rare in a dog), but he had been asymptomatic for almost 4 years. But the lupus, his advanced age, and the pain he was in made him a terrible candidate for extensive surgery, and I immediately opted to end his suffering. He was euthanized, dying in my arms yesterday morning. My morning routine and exiting of the apartment this morning, without any need to tell him to be a good a boy and that I'd be home soon, was just heartbreaking.

So I've been in my most comforting of comfort scents for 3 days.

What I'm really hoping for now is a quiet, uneventful last 3 months of the year. I could use some down-time.

(((((Alityke))))) It sounds like you've been having a rough go of it, too. Here's hoping for better days ahead.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 27th September 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Eau Sauvage by Dior

Oh no, ((ExtremeK)), how completely devastating ...I'm so, so sorry. I know that words can't express what you're going through, and it's hard to find the right words of comfort too, but I can relate ...and I think you did the right thing, as agonizing as it was. Sending you hugs and love - you and dear, sweet Dugan are in my thoughts. XOXO

Basenotes Plus

Oh (((ExtremeK))) I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Basenotes Plus

(((ExtremeK))), I can only echo Evangeline's post. Sending positive thoughts and best wishes.

(((Ali)), hope things take an upward turn for you very soon.

Good Morning,

Have a great day, all.
    gasp* Lucky Duck! Report on the table before the end of the week. Not negotiable.
    Djhenne tonight.

(((ExtremeK))) no words to say but thinking of you. Reading of you losing Dugan has made me cry, probably a good thing x

Thanks to all for the hugs and good wishes x back each of you

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, ExtremeK. My sincerest sympathies on the loss of your beloved Dugan. That is so very difficult to go through. I hope that the last months of 2012 will be less eventful and sad.

Oh ExtremeK I am so, so sorry. I got distracted after an earlier post and I didn't read yours till now. I am so sorry. It does seem that it is when life is testing us to our limit that we are tested again and again. Then just when we are picking ourselves up and dusting ourselves down, something else befalls us. I am so sorry. I do think that it sounds like you need a wee quiet time. Take Care, and please keep in touch and let us know how you are.

Basenotes Institution

Bear Hugs to those that need them

Today, I too, needed somthing 'comfy' (I stayed up WAY too late, at the m83 concert in SoBe last night!) so I combined:

Candy by Prada (the EdT + Shower Gel) + Shalimar Body Cream & Body Powder by Guerlain

It sounds like it would be a Vanilla Abomination, but it actually worked quite nicely. Maybe a tad 'feminine', if you will (the vintage Guerlain body products have those nitromusks that really project), but who gives a hoot. I'm comfortable smelling however I want to.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

(((Big hugs to the ones here that need them)))).
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Oh, ExtremeK. I wish we all could really be with you with real hugs.
    The future is filled with better days--guaranteed.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Dior Hypnotic Poison.
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

(((((((ExtremeK)))))))), OH my goodness, I couldn't read your post without tearing up. I think it's great that your house sold, fewer memories to haunt you. I will wear Tam Dao in you honor this evening and think about you.

:'( ExtremeK Sorry to hear about about Dugan, I know how you feel, we lost our dog Mabel to tumours a few years ago - it also came around very quickly and all happened far too soon.
    Our current dog Henry (Great Dane) is only 8 - which is quite old for such a large dog really, is slowly losing the use of his back legs, thankfully he is not in pain, but has good days and bad days in how far he can walk, we hope he stays with us until at least the end of the year.
    Thoughts with you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight I am in Tawaf by La Via Del Profumo

Who said that? "Our life is a hat filled with the even number of black and white balls. The more black balls we are pulling out, the more white ones are still inside, waiting". Hugs to you both, Ali and ExtremeK, and thousands of positive vibes.

I have been tired lately. School at my tender age of mid-40s if exhausting, I like teaching better than studying. I also, as instructor, never show up in holey jeans and flip-flops, or make spelling errors on the writing board. In one word, I have had it better..... . Or, I have just noticed it here: using Past instead of Passive ("You will be wrote up"), really?

E., I think of you and Tony the Tiger fondly too. Often and without a reason. That's how we live: wolves and tigers.

I wore Gres Cabaret.

Armani Code Pour Homme
    Gary

I've been wearing Tobacco Vanille, a birthday gift from my daughter. I made sure to text her at university and tell her I smelled fabulous! I'll be checking out Tam Dao tomorrow on ExtremeK's recommendation. You can't have too many comforting scents. I lost my dog recently and know what that is like. So sorry to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinete View Post
    I've been wearing Tobacco Vanille, a birthday gift from my daughter. I made sure to text her at university and tell her I smelled fabulous! I'll be checking out Tam Dao tomorrow on ExtremeK's recommendation. You can't have too many comforting scents. I lost my dog recently and know what that is like. So sorry to hear about it.

SOTD is Amouage Interlude Man. Gotta love the dark, smoky incense. Have Tobacco Vanille on order in the mail

Realizing why basenotes is such a special community, once again. Hugs all around, especially to Alitkye and ExremeK. Better days ahead...
    Mike P thank you for being a comforting man cake.
    Spent the day in vintage Shalimar parfum.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Sending big hugs to Alityke and to ExtremeK. . . .

Today I wore Coeur Joie. I hope everyone has a great night/great Friday morning.

queen of the universe

Hello everyone and (((hugs))) to ExtremeK and Ali.

Today was wet, cool, and rainy, so the vegetal green of Oscar de la Renta VoluptÚ was just perfect, despite my thinking of this as a summer scent. It lasts forever on me, too. I'm beginning to think that sandalwood is the secret ingredient for longevity on my skin, perhaps along with amber. I believe my civet-laden fragrances are accompanied by sandalwood, too. No wonder I'm a vintage hound!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

SOTD: Jubilation XXV by Amouage.

Basenotes Plus

ExtremeK, Dugan was very lucky to have you as his companion. I can tell from what you shared with us, he was a very special comfort to you and will be very much missed. So many of us on basenotes love animals and have lost some of our dear furry friends. Thank you for sharing his story with us. We're always here to lend an ear, give a hug or provide a soft shoulder to cry upon. We understand, some of us understand about the house too. So I hope you will accept both my condolences and congratulations, along with a big hug.

L'enfer, the MK you wore earlier today is a huge lemming for me. Adore it!

Quarry, I like how you layer, my friend!

As for me, I took a brief break from testing the Goutals to wear my favorite Caron this morning. Farnesiana from the urn, parfum. Love it...insert singing birdies here...

Then earlier tonight I tried Annick Goutal Folavril edt and fell head over heels crazy in love with this unique scent.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Montale Taif Roses and Ambre Fonce by Ava Luxe this evening makes a super combo!

Sneaking in before this thread is closed...

I'm sorry for you ExtremeK!
    G., sounds like a super time! Report mandatory!

Had a very busy day in Jicky EdP.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Fantastic danny
    thanks roberto!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    We are back up, at least for now!

I am in Different Company Bois d'Iris today.
    Dr. G, have a lovely meet up and please do report back.
    Danny, that motorcylce looks great, but I would not want to take a road trip on it Style over function?
    DEFINITELY, style over function!!