Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Post Everyday cologne for high-school kid?

Hi, I'm a high-school student looking for a cheap, yet long-lasting cologne with good silliage, although the first two factors are what I'm really looking for. I'm the kind of guy who always loves to crack jokes and is very enthusiastic. I want a cologne that kind of reflects that smell.. without spending too much money (around 30$ is my absolute cap). I'm a big man (chubby but not obese) so I tend to sweat throughout the day, and I am in high-school so the cologne should last around 8+ hours. I understand that I can't have it all at 30$, though, so I'll check out whatever is recommended.

Anyway, some colognes I'm a fan of :
    -chrome azzaro AND chrome azzaro sport (liked the smells alot)
    -allure pour homme sport (great, but it's REALLY expensive for me, a teen)
    -azzaro pour homme (fan of this one, but smells a bit too mature for me, still love it)
    -paco rabanne pour homme (not a huge fan of it, as the opening hurts my nose a bit, but i like it 2-3 hours after spraying)
    -acqua di gio (i think this smells nice)
    -puma white for men (fan of this one, does not last on me though)

colognes i'm ambivalent towards:
    -FCUK friction (smells okay, a bit like bitter fruits)

some colognes that i don't really like :
    -JOOP! (smelled like baby powder to me. not a fan )
    -Cool Water (smells bad to me, plain and simple)

as I test more out, I'll update the list. Hopefully there are some hidden gems I haven't seen yet.

Default Re: Everyday cologne for high-school kid?

Nautica Voyage - $20 at most TJ Maxx & Marshall's.
    Boss Bottled- small bottle or fragnet sells minis of it, along with many others. You could look around & find several minis for under $30 to give you more variety.
    I just picked up Rive Gauche online for $30, but that may be a bit too mature for you.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc

Welcome!

I think the fougeres you mention (Azzaro ph and Paco Rabanne - and Rive Gauche as well, as per fit&frag) would be very good choices. These are frags from the 70s that were designed to be long lasting and impart a pleasant but masculine aura. As you point out, they could be a little loud at the beginning, but then they settle beautifully. Another one, a bit fresher than the above, would be Caron Troisieme homme. Regular price is much higher ($90) but it can often be found for less than half.

cacio

Dependent

i think nautica voyage your best best
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Thank you guys! I'll definitely keep my eye out for voyage when I visit later today, as well as Boss bottled. The thing I've heard about frags containing vanilla in them though is that they turn sour with sweat (which is what I do alot of, unfortunately :l). Still, I'll find a way to take it on a trial run.

I saw 212 Sexy Men for sale, 20$. Though I'm not exactly sure if it's the same as this '212 Men' you refer to.
    I sprayed azzaro ph on my forearm about six hours ago and it smells amazing. It seems to have faded a bit, but the smell is oh so delicious! I think I might go pick up a bottle regardless of it being a bit too mature for me (imo). I didn't like the 'green-ness' of the paco rabanne one, though I do think that it smells nice when the initial spray smell is a bit faded.

The main issue I have with cologne is getting it to smell good even when I am a bit sweaty. When I get sweaty my sweat smell overpowers my cologne (and yes I am wearing deodorant). Well, it doesn't really smell like sweat but more like this weird detergent-laundry-funk vibe. Does anyone have anything to say about colognes that smell the same, or dare I say BETTER when sweating? A big thing that made me try azzaro ph was that I heard it smells better when there's sweating happening.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Solara Homme

Banned
    Blog Entries

honestly, chrome is perfect for high school setting. better safe, than old-man scent. and most ppl in high school havent been around enough to realize how common it is.

also, check out l'homme

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    honestly, chrome is perfect for high school setting. better safe, than old-man scent. and most ppl in high school havent been around enough to realize how common it is.

also, check out l'homme
    I was thinking about rebuying chrome, but I wanted to try something new. I guess you have a point, the mature scent in high-school is pretty risky.
    L`homme (if you`re talking about the one by YSL) is a bit outside of my price range, so I`m afraid I can`t get it :l

Banned
    Blog Entries

get l'homme (by ysl) on fragrancenet. you can get it for significantly less. legit

- D&G, The One
    - Nautica Voyage
    - Diesel Only the brave
    - Versace Pour Homme
    - Versace man eau fraiche
    - YSL L'homme

All very good and safe options

EDIT: I would also recommend Joop Jump. One of my first fragrances, absolutely adore it.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

It's hard to predict how things will smell with sweat, so you really have to try yourself. In general, body temperature and sweat make frags go away much faster, which is why, perhaps, older powerhouses, which were built to last and cover cigarette smoke, might be appropriate.

cacio

Perry Ellis 360 Red.

The scent that comes immediately to mind is------> NOOKA "Future Distilled"
    If this would have been around when I was in High School I would have worn like it was the going outta style!
    THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT SIGNATURE SCENT, because NO ONE else in your school (or school district!) will have it!
    It's a Woody, Citrus, Metallic, Aquatic scent with Real good projection and it lasts ALL DAY.

You can only by the 5ml testers on Nooka.com in the scent section, but they are just $5. Try it, you will not regret it, and for just $5, you are not committed to taking my word for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other one I wish I had known about when I was in High School would have been Encre Noire.
    At a little over $25 a bottle its a STEAL, and it's truly wonderful juice.
    It's a bit grown up for high school, but holy cow you would get the ladies!!!

Actually, you will probably get hit on by your teachers!
    -- Nevermind this may be a bad idea!

Rochas Man

Just don't show your friends the bottle...

L'eau d'Issey pour homme, Nautica Voyage, or Perry Ellis 360 Red. All 3 should fit your tastes and more importantly your budget. The Issey Miyake is twice as much as the other two, but you can still find it for less than $50 no problem.
    Last edited by Cade321; 28th September 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Rochas Man

Just don't show your friends the bottle...
    LOL! So True.... Great frag & probably within the price range, too. Not sure how it does with sweat, though, & it's not much of a warm weather frag for me...
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Thank you guys again. So I'm going later today, and I'm gonna check out voyage, boss, nooka, encre noir, rocha's man (i saw the bottle and I laughed hahaha), as well as 360 red. L'eau d'issey i will definitely try if I find it under $40. I'll get back to you all on what I think of these as well as my opinions on some others that I will try when I get there (I've heard good things about some other names) in order to help you guys help me in my search. Thanks again!

Basenotes Junkie

I think Animale Animale or Azzaro Chrome are great choices for someone in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by immortalce View Post
    Thank you guys again. So I'm going later today, and I'm gonna check out voyage, boss, nooka, encre noir, rocha's man (i saw the bottle and I laughed hahaha), as well as 360 red. L'eau d'issey i will definitely try if I find it under $40. I'll get back to you all on what I think of these as well as my opinions on some others that I will try when I get there (I've heard good things about some other names) in order to help you guys help me in my search. Thanks again!
    Sure!

Remember two things: what YOU like it what matters most and fragrances evolve once you spray them, so don't just judge a scent on its first ten minutes (or ten seconds as the case may be)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if a fragrance doesn't last long enough for you on skin... Spray it on your shirt.

Eugh! I didn't know that shoppers drug mart jacks up prices! (here's a point of reference : nautica voyage. for 75 bucks. no.)
    But I did get to test out some colognes that I really wanted to:

-JPG Le Male : smells okay to me.. a bit sweet.. ambivalent towards

-Lacoste pour Homme & Energize : really nice smell imo

-Retried Azzaro Pour Homme : still mature for me, I think i tried a different one because this one had no sticker, the logo was in the glass (pre reformulation apparently?)

-Chanel Allure Pour Homme Blanche : really, really nice.. a bit too lemony for me, but really nice.

-Nautica Voyage : nice, simple, and clean smelling. i was going to get this one until i saw the price D:

-L'eau d'issey : wasn't a fan

Everything else that was on my previous 'check-out' list that wasn't on here shoppers didn't have (boo, I really wanted to check out Rocha's man!). Yeah, I am disappointed, looks like ordering online it is. Unlimited selection, but shipping time is baaah. :l
    Hopefully I can get out into the field more and look for stores that carry the ones that I really want to smell (ie. rocha's man, animale animale, encre noir)

Thats a bummer on the prices. Amazon had Nautica Voyage 3.4 oz for 14 bucks just a few days ago.

Yeah, shame. After making a good case, my dad's letting me buy cologne online, and I'm really leaning towards either voyage (25 bucks) or animale animale (26 bucks, but i've never tried a gourmand before), does anyone know if animale animale is a safe blind buy? Or would I be more content with another frag similar to it or something (ie. rocha's man (but it's 10 bucks more expensive))

oh, and i think i forgot to mention that I'm canadian

No experience with either of those fragrances, but in regards to online purchasing..just buy from a reputable source (Amazon with Amazon as the actual seller, Fragrancenet, etc.) and you will be fine. Avoid non-Amazon sellers on Amazon, and eBay, IMO. Sometimes you have to go to eBay for discontinued, more difficult to find scents but I would avoid it otherwise.

I went ahead and bought animale animale, it's cheap and comes tomorrow.
    Does anyone know how strong it is / how much I should apply (I sweat alot and apparently gourmands are really strong in heat)

its very strong maybe one or two sprays, look up bijan wicked or some of there other colognes really cheap and great smelling

how much was the nautica voyage??

it's like 15-20 bucks MAX

nautica was around the same price as animale for me online.
    it was supposed to be delivered today.. :l oh well one more day.