Code of Conduct

Exclamation Burberry London vs John Varvatos (2004) vs D&G The One

Hey guys, so lately I've been looking for a pleasant scent for the winter time. After a lot of testing, the three mentioned have been the ones I've seemed to like the most.

I can even see some similarities between them, but I'm kind of leaning towards John Varvatos. It simply smells amazing.
    Though there is a downfall, all of the three seem to have projection and longevity issues.

Out of the three which one would you choose ? (or recommend something similar)
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Default Re: Burberry London vs John Varvatos (2004) vs D&G The One

I'd go with Varvatos as well. London is nice but just doesn't excite me that much. It's like it needs a few more exotic notes or something. That's the same problem I have with Gucci II. Pretty much everyone can walk in their kitchen and smell cinnamon and black tea. The One I simply can't wear because of Matthew McConaughey. Justin Timberlake ruined Play Intense for me too. I like YSL La Nuit better than all of those.
    Last edited by Stew; 28th September 2012 at 04:04 AM.

I haven't smelled the other 2, but I get terrible projection & longevity with London (sad, b/c it is a nice scent)...

Would be great if Burberry made a Burberry London Intense or a Burberry London Extreme.

MAKE IT HAPPEN BURBERRY !

I like both. However, I can see myself wearing Varvatos more often than London.

My advice? Keep looking.

John Varvatos is ok, but it has serious longevity issues. I loved it at first and was excited to buy a bottle but I rarely reach for it, and when I do it's mostly because it had been so long since I last wore it. JV may end up on my swap list. I find it easy to get bored with.

The One is a good scent, but it has longevity issues too.

I'm not a huge fan of Burberry London, but many here on BN seem to love it.

Of the three, Varvatos is the one I bought, but I don't recommend it. I would recommend L'Occitane Eau des Baux. It doesn't exactly smell like those, but it's excellent and it's a bargain, so it's worth sampling.

How about 1270 by Frapin ? haven't tried it but if it is similar to any of these 3 I might give it a shot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London for Men by Burberry.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I would recommend L'Occitane Eau des Baux. It doesn't exactly smell like those, but it's excellent and it's a bargain, so it's worth sampling.
    I will have to agree with this one too. The longevity and projection on all three would stop me looking at them. All nice scents in their own right but I can't justify it with the poor L and P.

I heard that Jacomo Silver, a newer release from the house can capture some of that feeling. I bought it a about week ago, let me test it out and get back to you.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Super Member freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Among those, I haven't tried John Varvatos, and I'd keep Burberry London just ahead of D&G The One. You might want to try out Eau des Baux by L'occitane, Dior Homme Intense, M7 (original), Leather Oud, L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme and maybe even Encre Noire - all of which are great winter time fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Among those, I haven't tried John Varvatos, and I'd keep Burberry London just ahead of D&G The One. You might want to try out Eau des Baux by L'occitane, Dior Homme Intense, M7 (original), Leather Oud, L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme and maybe even Encre Noire - all of which are great winter time fragrances.
    I agree

+1 Encre Noire
    +1 Lerather Oud (if you are brave!)

By the way, I hope I didn't come off as discouraging. If I did, I apologize. I've learned the hard way that it's easy to waste money on scents that end up being letdowns because the desire to purchase SOMETHING outweighed the options of what I'd found. The trick is to limit purchases to loves, not likes, and try to be sure that temporary excitement about a scent is well founded.

My advice? If you need to buy something, buy a bottle of Curve. CURVE?!? Yes, Curve. It can be had dirt cheap and it fetches compliments better than you can even imagine. Then, keep sniffing around and searching for something you'll truly love. Something that wows you. In the end, you'll be glad you did. Cheers!

Would getting Dior homme intense or even L'instant de guerlain extreme make the three I mentioned, kind of redundant ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    Would getting Dior homme intense or even L'instant de guerlain extreme make the three I mentioned, kind of redundant ?
    Definitely! Do that I haven't tried LIDGE but I'd take DHI over any and all of the three you mentioned.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London by far, of those three... My problem with it is its versatility (or lack thereof).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Definitely! Do that I haven't tried LIDGE but I'd take DHI over any and all of the three you mentioned.
    I'll probably end up doing that, are there any similarities between them ?

Post Thanks / Like

Not really apart from them all being cool weather scents. I do think they serve similar purposes though. While the others are pleasant, I find DHI quite unique and the smell is addictive. Make sure you test DHI though. When I first smelt DHI after spraying I was a bit 'meh', until the sillage started wafting up and me over the next few hours and I was converted. Very nice IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I didn't mean to turn this into another DHI thread.

Of the others I would probably go with London. JV is the only one I own, but I've almost never worn it (feels too mature for me or something).

In fact, screw it I see you're in Australia. PM me and I'll send you my bottle!

Super Member freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the slightly delayed response. Not much similarity, in fact very little similarity.

"Would getting Dior homme intense or even L'instant de guerlain extreme make the three I mentioned, kind of redundant ?"

Depends. It all depends on what you are looking for. I have never sampled John Varvatos, whereas I have tried D&G The One and Burberry London. I kind of remember Burberry London disappearing in a flash. My advice is that if you REALLY LIKE any one of Varvatos/London/The One, then go for it, you would not be disappointed. Also keep in mind that London and The One both have spotty longevity as many mention over here. However that might be compensated for if you are in love with how they smell, especially the first few hours.

On the other hand, if you don't have any particular liking for these three scents and are just looking for a good winter time fragrance, I feel there are many better options to be explored. In that case you should definitely consider Dior Homme Intense, L'Instant de Guerlain pour homme Extreme and the likes. Others would be able to tell you more.

I never had any special liking for Burberry London, though it is good and gets a lot of praise here and in other places such as youtube. I have Dior Homme Intense, M7 and Encre Noire and feel I'm pretty much covered for the season and occasions where I would have used Burberry London. For some time I had been toying with the idea of getting Burberry London in addition to what I have just because I wanted to own something from the house of Burberry, but then I gave it up considering that that was not reason enough to go for it.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 28th September 2012 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    not really apart from them all being cool weather scents. I do think they serve similar purposes though. While the others are pleasant, i find dhi quite unique and the smell is addictive. Make sure you test dhi though. When i first smelt dhi after spraying i was a bit 'meh', until the sillage started wafting up and me over the next few hours and i was converted. Very nice imo.

- - - updated - - -

sorry i didn't mean to turn this into another dhi thread.

Of the others i would probably go with london. Jv is the only one i own, but i've almost never worn it (feels too mature for me or something).

in fact, screw it i see you're in australia. Pm me and i'll send you my bottle!
    You my friend, are a living legend.

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned them all. The One is the only one I still have. It smells very modern and suave to me.

Burberry London

Post Thanks / Like

How about 1270 by Frapin ? haven't tried it but if it is similar to any of these 3 I might give it a shot.
    Frapin 1270 is very close to D&G The One, unfortunately also regarding longevity and projection on my skin. I get 5-6 hours from both frags, but I enjoy both of them highly for that 5-6 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

All 3 are fine designers.
    You can't go wrong.
    They all lack longevity though - I get 5-6 hours from them all.

But consider these instead, not much more expensive:

Van Cleef & Arpel Midnight in Paris EDP as well as EDT
    Dior Homme Intense
    L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum
    Dior Fahrenheit Absolute
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the 3 that you listed the only one I see worth keeping is London. I've owned the other 2 and they just don't hold up in my eyes. If anything I found JV Vintage a better fragrance, but I still didn't keep it.

1270 is nice, you might consider it if you have the money, but I don't find it similar to any that you've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    EdB is surprisingly good for $50. You should check it out.

It wouldn't make them redundant, I don't find them similar either. Either of them is a good choice.

Personally I would rule out JV and The One.

- - - Updated - - -

You might also want to check out spicebomb, it sounds like it might interest you.