Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: When do you wear your fragrance?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whenever I want, regardless of season or event.

48 65.75%
  • I match it with a season, event, day/night, etc.

25 34.25%

Default Reason for wearing your fragrance...

Just curious to see how many of each we have.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Reason for wearing your fragrance...

I am in the camp that says wear what you like when you like.

The first answer is my prevailing tendency, option and liking.

Basenotes Plus

The first option - anything goes any time.

The first option

I usually try to wear lighter scents in the summer and heavier (think amber) in the fall/winter. That said, I'm not wedded to that and I have worn things like Neroli Portofino in the winter and Blue Amber in the Summer.

option 1 here...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Option 2 for me. In my free time I wear whatever, whenever. When it comes to work, dates or special occasions I will pick certain scents that I find suitable. E.g. I probably wouldn't wear Salvador Dali to a date.

I know only a few have responded, but this is interesting. I guess I thought it was going to be a little more balanced. Since I'm just starting, I'm at a collecting-every-sample that interests me stage. In order to make some organization to the madness, I DO have them in kind of a seasonal, day/night, special occasion, etc format. That being said...I will buy whatever I truly love. So if I end up with all "summer, day, casual" scents...so be it.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

I already have issues going through one bottle...why limit myself even more?!

Whatever and whenever I want.

for swap/sale:

I wear whatever I'm in the mood for...I'm not bound to "summer" "winter" frag titles.

Mostly it depends on my mood, but I do like to be considerate of those around me and tend to wear lighter fragrances in warmer weather and bring out the powerhouses when it's cold enough.

I chose the second option, but I think really I'm a little of both. The decision about what to wear is affected by the day ahead (work vs. errands vs. chill), with some consideration for the weather, mood, etc. About half my frags could work in almost any scenario, so i have a lot of safe/stand-by options, but the situation may allow for something bolder, more formal, etc.

Mostly whenever I want but there are a few frags like Millesime Imperial,Original Vetiver and Live Jazz where I will only wear them in the Spring/Summer.

For me...there's some fun in matching. Kind of like matching the perfect wine with the right food.

I wear what I want, except for work which is more conservative.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

I wear whatever, whenever. Actually, there are some I save for certain times. Tom Ford TV is way to 'heavy' for a hot summer day in Houston, Tx.

Dependent

season, event, day/night

Ain't nothing wrong with making things match. A time and a place for everything.

For the most part I wear whatever whenever but there are some occasions that call for something specific so in that case I match up a little. There wasn't an option for both so I chose whenever whatever since that's predominately how I roll.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Banned

I wear whatever strikes my fancy.

Blog Entries

I respect people's "I wear what I want when I want" but I just can't see wearing a cloying Gourmand like Montale Chocolate Greedy, or a sweet scent like Tobacco Vanilie by Tom Ford in the hot humid summer. I do what I want...within reason!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I use to do it by season but now I find some I like more in opposite seasons.

I don't wear fragrances at all.

Banned
    Blog Entries

anyone who says that seasons and occasions prevent you from wearing what you like, they are just completely wrong.

i was on a hot summer bus with 30 other people. i was wearing 4 sprays of kouros layered with 6 sprays of gorgio for men. i do that because i wear what i want when i want for whatever damn reason i want.

wearing Tsar VC&A in the Italian Scorching Summer Heat equals I'm a deranged pimp!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    anyone who says that seasons and occasions prevent you from wearing what you like, they are just completely wrong.

i was on a hot summer bus with 30 other people. i was wearing 4 sprays of kouros layered with 6 sprays of gorgio for men. i do that because i wear what i want when i want for whatever damn reason i want.
    I bet you were popular on that bus :-)

I don't think the two poll options are mutually exclusive.

I don't follow any rules when deciding what to wear, and I don't define fragrances as only being appropriate for certain circumstances.

But what does "whenever I want" really mean. What influences your inclination to wear or not wear a given fragrance on a given day? I don't think the decision to wear a particular fragrance is ever random or arbitrary, even if it might be unconventional, or the decision is not based on a conscious selection process.

So, I would assert that to some degree EVERYONE matches fragrance to circumstance (circumstance including everything from weather and event, to emotional mood, to what they might have worn the day before). Different individuals just have more or less rigid rules or tendencies, and consciously and unconsciously give greater or lesser weight to different factors.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike View Post
    I don't think the two poll options are mutually exclusive.

I don't follow any rules when deciding what to wear, and I don't define fragrances as only being appropriate for certain circumstances.

But what does "whenever I want" really mean. What influences your inclination to wear or not wear a given fragrance on a given day? I don't think the decision to wear a particular fragrance is ever random or arbitrary, even if it might be unconventional, or the decision is not based on a conscious selection process.

So, I would assert that to some degree EVERYONE matches fragrance to circumstance (circumstance including everything from weather and event, to emotional mood, to what they might have worn the day before). Different individuals just have more or less rigid rules or tendencies, and consciously and unconsciously give greater or lesser weight to different factors.
    I agree with this. That said, I picked option 1.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gilesjp View Post
    I wear what I want, except for work which is more conservative.
    I avoid strong fragrances at work.

It was a tough choice for me, because, while I wear whatever I feel like that day, my choices are influenced by the time of day, season, etc. So, I picked the second choice.