Code of Conduct

Thread: Mittl Attar

Blog Entries

Default Mittl Attar

Anyone smell Mitti Attar? I watched a YouTube video on how they make it from dry mud, and it was fascinating. I see a bottle of it for sale and I was thinking of purchasing it to try. Anyone have any experience with the smell?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Mittl Attar

I obtained a precious vial of it from a remote perfumer in India who gathered it and distilled it himself from the banks of the river after the first rains.... guess what it smells of.... exactly that... dusty dirt and the freshness of the rain.

I love mine. I don't know if all Mitti smells the same. I suppose it depends where it was gathered from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I obtained a precious vial of it from a remote perfumer in India who gathered it and distilled it himself from the banks of the river after the first rains.... guess what it smells of.... exactly that... dusty dirt and the freshness of the rain.

I love mine. I don't know if all Mitti smells the same. I suppose it depends where it was gathered from.
    Thanks, mumsy. I saw a fascinating bit on YouTube about men cutting mud out of a riverbed and distilling it. I LOVE the smell of wet earth, so I may have to take a chance. Trouble is shipping is so expensive from India to the USA

I'll send you a drop of this to smell if you like. PM me.

It would be most interesting as a note. There is a whole thread about the Demeter dirt perfume and others.

There is a famous indian attar which uses Mitti aka Armenian Bole, Majmua, it is incredibly strong and smells like woods, moss, in a forest on a rainy day. It is easily availabe on ebay.

Thank you. I had a look but which one do you recommend? There are loads there. Plenty for Majmua but none for the Armenian Bole bit.

Blog Entries

I love earthy smells like patchouli, oud, etc. I am afraid if I explore all of these Indian attars, I will get hooked...Oh well, this is an expensive hobby...

Here is a beautiful, in-depth description of it from Christopher McMahons White Lotus site.

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/newsletters/mitt

Blog Entries

A woman I knew gave me a small bottle of pure oud oil a few years ago. It was my first exposure to this scent. I bought a lot of Montale fragrances and fell in love with earthy spicy mid-eastern fragrances. I have not had alot of exposure to "attars" and such, but perhaps I should order some samples from various companies. I LOVE Amouage Tribute Attar.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 3rd October 2012 at 09:19 PM.

I have only smelled a few nice attars and a few very lovely oudhs. Yet another aspect of perfumery as equally valid and maybe more established in perfumery as those we recognise, and yet bear little resemblance. Compelling!

Armenian Bole is Mitti ,its a special kind of clay. its one of the ingredients in Majmua , which is a combo of Vetiver, mitti, Kadam flower and Screwpine.

I owned half a tola of this, a couple of years ago, but ended up giving it away. As much as I love vetiver, I found Mitti Attar too musty to fully enjoy. Yes, it's intriguing and quite long-lasting, but it was the wrong type of earthiness for me.

Blog Entries

I like vetiver scent, wet earth scent, and I actually like the smell of a musty basement or even better an old book that has that dry paper and musty smell when you open it...Sounds like something I would enjoy...

I tried the mitti attar, its very strong and earthy, I much prefer the Majmua and Agar Hina ( combination of oak moss,oud,henna, sandalwood)