Code of Conduct

Default Best way to nab a scent you can't afford

Example: GIT is currently sitting #1 on my Buy list, but there is no way in the foreseeable future that I'll have $200+ for a brand new bottle. I don't want something that smells LIKE GIT...I want GIT. So, would you:

A) Risk Amazon and get a large bottle for a tad over $100
    B) Get a smaller (30-50 ML) bottle for a around $100
    C) Wait patiently for someone to sell it here
    D) Get in on a split here

GIT is my example because it's #1 on my list. I have other scents that I'm interested in that could also fit this bill...and I'm sure others would be interested in some feedback here for whatever THEIR #1 is. I'm just curious what route some of you take.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Default Re: Best way to nab a scent you can't afford

Splits are a great affordable way to get your hands on expensive and hard to find fragrances.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

#1. DO NOT BUY FROM AMAZON. A lot of fakes are sold on Amazon.
    2. Get in on a split. It makes purchasing expensive fragrances considerably more affordable. I purchased the majority of my Tom Ford fragrances via splits.

Personally...the first word in choice A is Risk. To me it is not worth the headache of worrying. Their are more reputable places than Amazon even if you have to pay a bit more. Splits are the way to go. You can pick up some great scents at affordable prices. There is at least one 50 ml split of GIT going on now.

Sound Scents

Quite frankly any of the options on your list are quite viable. As to Amazon, I would not hesitate to buy from them. The ones you may choose to avoid are the multitudes of third-party sellers on Amazon. If the item says ships and sold by Amazon you should be fine, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Easy pick...SPLITS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Quite frankly any of the options on your list are quite viable. As to Amazon, I would not hesitate to buy from them. The ones you may choose to avoid are the multitudes of third-party sellers on Amazon. If the item says ships and sold by Amazon you should be fine, IMO.
    +1

Never had any problems with Amazon directly. If I order from third party sellers, I make sure they are reputable, like fragrancenet.

That's kind of what I thought in regards to Amazon. I buy a lot of stuff from them...but as was said - only when it was sold BY them. I avoid third parties through Amazon for everything.

I figured splits were the way to go...just didn't know how many of you went that route as well. Thanks!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Any purchases through amazon should be protected by them, but that being said, splits are probably the most economical way to go.

Guerlainista

Grab the tester from Neiman Marcus and haul ass out the door.

Kidding. Split.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    grab the tester from neiman marcus and haul ass out the door.

Kidding. Split.
    rofl!!!

eBay

Fragnet (wait for the 20% coupon, which seems to be most days recently) through ebates (usually and extra 6%) if you REALLY want the actual bottle for your collection.

Otherwise, yes, the splits here on BN are very well run and are one of the best ways to afford at least a portion of a fragrance you normally wouldn't be able to (this was the case with Aventus for me & the split turned out great!).

Basenotes Member

I would buy Creed's from a place like FragranceNet so that I have the benefit of the sprayer. Also, with many of the Creed's, the 4 ounce bottles from FragranceNet are cheaper than splits, on a per ml basis (one exception is Aventus).

Hold up Neiman's...you could get a lot of frags that way! Just don't forget to have a getaway driver and cut the camera feeds.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Dependent

split
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Get in on a split. More affordable and you'll be able to try most of the popular ones on BN without having to fork over the money for a full bottle of each one, which you will probably never finish, especially if intend to grow your wardrobe. Only downside is that it could take a while to fill a split. If you really want it asap, I'd go through FragranceX, FragranceNet or Scented Monkey.

I'd wait until you had enough money and then buy a 4 oz bottle.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Get in on a split. Or just buy a decant and enjoy wearing it NOW.

I wouldn't get a split of GIT. If you are comfortable spending a little over $100, you can buy a legit bottle from Fragrancenet or Walgreens in the $120 range. IMO, that is the better deal per oz. over a split here (~$70/50mL), and you will also have the original bottle. If you are buying from Amazon, make sure Amazon is the seller of the item so you are covered by their liberal return/refund policy.

Go to Neiman with an atomizer. Pretend to sample fragrances. When the SA is dealing with other customers and not paying attention to you, quickly spray the bottle to fill up the atomizer. Repeat the next day.

Blog Entries

Kidding. Split.
    I like this option best, and in for a penny, in for a pound, i'll grab the factice as well.

Joking.

Splits seems the safest, and cheapest option

I've put in for a split request for GIT. I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the help/advice!!

Banned

[QUOTE=Teach13;2713643]I've put in for a split request for GIT. I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the help/advice!![/QThe best option.

Split.

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    Go to Neiman with an atomizer. Pretend to sample fragrances. When the SA is dealing with other customers and not paying attention to you, quickly spray the bottle to fill up the atomizer. Repeat the next day.
    Theft? Petty theft?

for swap/sale:

Splits seem like a reasonable option, but I do like to have the bottle, and as others have mentioned, you can get good deals with FragranceNet and other places.

To me, the ability to afford is really a matter of priority. I work in non-profit and am not wealthy by any means. But I also have very few extravagances in my life. If I really love a fragrance and know I'll keep wearing it and loving it, it's worth buying. I think of it as maybe £10 per week for a certain number of weeks. It's not going to break me.

The danger is when you *think* something is the holy grail and then buy it and quickly get bored with it and want something else. Or realize that you're into the thrill of the chase; the wanting is more exciting than the having. That's when you have to ask yourself whether you're being reasonable given your means.

There's nothing wrong with buying from Amazon. The trick is to pay attention to WHO SPECIFICALLY is selling the scent. If it's Amazon, you're safe. If it's another shop you're familiar with selling through Amazon, you're safe. If it's somebody you've never heard of... do your homework first.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

If you really love GiT and wear it almost exclusively, the cost per use really isn't that high when it comes to sticker shock. Its when you use it as part of a wardrobe where the cost really skyrockets. A split is a good way to go both in cost and in limiting amount. If you find yourself burning though it, you know its worth investing in a large bottle (cheaper per use) but for most fragrances, you'll find that the smaller amount goes a longer way than you think, especially since you seem to rotate your fragrances fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Trojan View Post
    If you really love GiT and wear it almost exclusively, the cost per use really isn't that high when it comes to sticker shock. Its when you use it as part of a wardrobe where the cost really skyrockets. A split is a good way to go both in cost and in limiting amount. If you find yourself burning though it, you know its worth investing in a large bottle (cheaper per use) but for most fragrances, you'll find that the smaller amount goes a longer way than you think, especially since you seem to rotate your fragrances fairly regularly.

...And that's kind of where I am. GIT will be part of a number of scents. I like it so much that I could easily make it one of only 2-3 that I own..................IF I didn't like trying other scents as much as I do So, I'll try the 50 ML split for now. If I fly through it, I'll look to buy a full bottle.

I've recently been browsing ebay for used bottles. Most of them still have ~90% left in them and they are drastically cheaper than new. Also, while they could still be fake, it doesn't make much sense to fake a used bottle when you could get twice as much money selling a new one. What do others think about this?

Kidding. Split.
    With my luck I'd grab the tester thats about 2% full.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

How's that theft? The testers are there to be sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    How's that theft? The testers are there to be sprayed.
    I dunno how you've come this far in life without being permanently jailed. Joking. LOL. Well sorta...

They're meant to be sprayed then and there. Fair usage applies. They put out testers, out of good faith, to allow a customer to try before buying. Logic denotes that one will spray the usual amount only, for the purpose of trying before buying.
    The good faith part is that they do not restrict how many sprays assuming you'll do it reasonably.

Decanting is not fair usage. You are well aware that what you've said is wrong because you used keywords like "pretend - SA other customers - not paying attention - quickly spray - fill up - repeat."
    Why not waltz in and do it in front of the SA? lol

Look if you wanna steal, thats not for me to judge but don't steal and cover it up shamelessly. LOL

for swap/sale: