Code of Conduct

Default Vintage L'Heure Bleue EDP on Ebay - someone please help!

I'm a Londoner and I'm trying to find a vintage as in pre-reformulation bottle of L'Heure Bleue EDP on the American ebay. Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction? I have read on these forums that it is not too hard to find. I am looking to pay no more than $80 -100.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Vintage L'Heure Bleue EDP on Ebay - someone please help!

There's usually some l'heure bleue in edt for the prices you say, but my problem is that these are modern looking bottles. Many of them are certainly pre reformulation, since reformulation was recent, but I don't know how to distinguish pre and post reformulation from pics - so I am myself interested in how to do so if anybody has good suggestions.

Older bottles which are clearly pre-reformulation, like the round "clock" bottle or the "blob" bottle, go for much more than $100. Parfum, whether pre or post (cannot distinguish myself) goes for even more. My only purchase of l'Heure bleue vintage on ebay was once a 1/4 full "clock" bottle, perhaps 10 or 20 ml of perfume, for $25, which turned out to be in very good state. But things like this appear rarely.

cacio

Cacio, can you provide us with links on the "clock" bottle?
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

travisbickle, the times to pick up a bottle in the golden-black box at this price are over. Most of all, they seemed to have disappeared fairly rapidly about a year ago. Bookmark your search on ebay and stay alert!

Primrose:
    I mean the usual round flat bottle with pyramidal stopper. This is the one I got, I don't know if the link works

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1960...vip=true&rt=nc

Travis:
    to add to what Larimar was saying, you probably know already that you should be careful about the pic. If it looks like a stock photo, it usually doesn't correspond to the actual packaging of what is being sold.

cacio

I thought the EDP reformulation was fairly recent and as such, 3+ year old bottles were fairly easy to find on eBay? So that's not the case then?

Also what is this 'eau deodorant' I keep seeing on eBay, in the same flacon as the EDP and packaged in the old gold and black box?

travisbickle, I can not say, I am sorry. I have the golden-black boxed EdP in my back-up cave (and it smells divine) and can only say that the current EdP smelled in Paris last April was harsher, possibly more synthetic than the good old stuff.

Good luck and hope you find your vintage L'Heure. Try searching for pdt/parfum de toilette which the older bottles can be marked as instead of edp.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Hiris by Hermès

So basically what people are implying is that L'Heure Bleue in ALL its current forms is DEAD, in that the classic and much lauded perfume of yore has been replaced by a synthetic monstrosity and unless you're prepared to pay a packet for it on the rare off-chance that it appears on ebay, you might as well give up on it?

That's pretty much the way things stand, actually.

The EU Guidelines & IFRA have more or less destroyed modern (as in 20th Century) perfumery and you can be sure that the ease of using aromachemicals created in the lab over materials sourced from nature and being able to charge the same prices is going to continue to impact things in the future - it's a brave new world

Still, let's see if Thierry Wasser pulls something out of the hat for this 100th Anniversary of L'Heure Bleue trio and the 'new version' coming in 2013? I also want to try the Grosmith take on L'HB that Roja Dove was behind - anyone rate it compared to the original?

travisbickle, I would not call it a 'synthetic monstrosity'. There is far far worse out there. However, you know, it really matters what makes L'Heure Bleue so special for yourself. In my case it is the floral heart (and not necessarily the base - so, the heavy musk base in the really old vintage extrait is nice, special, but not a must-have for me) and thus, the reformulation of the extrait as per end of 2010 made L'Heure Bleue dull and dead (deprived of most of its florals and their shining quality). The EdP that I sniffed last April smelled like L'Heure Bleue but harsher and synthetic.
    The best take on L'Heure Bleue in my opinion is Bois de Copaiba by Pierre Guillaume. The heart accord is beautiful, really it is, but the base is uninspired, generic woody. The Grossmith did nothing for me. I found the one (the 'Shem' somewhat... terrible names) that is not unlike L'Heure Bleue to be way too dusty and common in comparison.
    If the heliotrope is what you are after and money is no concern, JAR's Jarling is stunning and great stuff for sure.
    You to decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    travisbickle, I would not call it a 'synthetic monstrosity'. There is far far worse out there. However, you know, it really matters what makes L'Heure Bleue so special for yourself. In my case it is the floral heart (and not necessarily the base - so, the heavy musk base in the really old vintage extrait is nice, special, but not a must-have for me) and thus, the reformulation of the extrait as per end of 2010 made L'Heure Bleue dull and dead (deprived of most of its florals and their shining quality). The EdP that I sniffed last April smelled like L'Heure Bleue but harsher and synthetic.
    The best take on L'Heure Bleue in my opinion is Bois de Copaiba by Pierre Guillaume. The heart accord is beautiful, really it is, but the base is uninspired, generic woody. The Grossmith did nothing for me. I found the one (the 'Shem' somewhat... terrible names) that is not unlike L'Heure Bleue to be way too dusty and common in comparison.
    If the heliotrope is what you are after and money is no concern, JAR's Jarling is stunning and great stuff for sure.
    You to decide!
    Heliotrope IS what I'm after because some of my most cherished fragrances contain it - Après l'Ondée , L'Eau D'Hiver, Etro's Heliotrope. I am also encouraged by the opinion that L'Heure Bleue is one of those rare fragrances which evoke a certain emotion but I have never sniffed the original so it is impossible to say whether I will like it or not. I also appreciate the historical significance of this perfume which is another reason I would like to explore it.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the current EDT so bad or was it never that great in the first place, even in its vintage form?

Sorry to hear the Grosmith is not doing it for you Larimar, and I agree on Bois de Copaiba - nice but, yeah.

Travisbickle, just grab a current one and see what happens - after sampling some truly vintage Apres l'Ondee and L'Heure Bleue I realised that it will pure luck if I ever come across some of that quality, but that didn't stop me from grabbing what was current (this was a few years ago) and enjoying it for what it is. Ultimately L'HB is a mood for me, not a collection of notes. At least Guerlain are still trying to make the stuff - several lesser known classics have been dropped over the last few years.

What do we think of this:

http://www.4160tuesdays.com/4160tues...st-opened.html

Worth it?

These are the prices for a such a Guerlain.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Guer...item337232bf5b

of course, how well it has survived it's anybody's guess.

I strongly suspect the source is the same. It's a famous store in Mexico, which had been closed for decades. At some point one of the heirs went back and saw what he had, and has been selling all these vintage marvels since.

cacio

I'm thinking maybe a 10ml decant will be enough for very sparing use?

Given the age, perhaps some top notes might be gone, but the drydown should be ok - and the drydown of HB is magnificent, so it's certainly worth trying. Whether 5 or 10ml is up to you.

cacio

I received this today. Excellent service.

It is a stunning fragrance but I suspect the longevity is weak, despite the age.