Code of Conduct

Default Need Help!...finding a new clean/fresh (maybe even a bit "soapy"), yet classy & not-too-fem scent

Ok, so other than Mugler Cologne or Creed's Original Vetiver (already owned the Mugler & know OV is very similar), what could you recommend for something that is clean or fresh smelling, perhaps even a bit of a "soapy" vibe (just not too much), is somewhat classy, yet isn't too feminine (I actually found Mugler cologne just slightly toward the feminine side on me - I'm 6'2", fairly muscular, but have a pretty soft-spoken, gentle & laid-back personality)? I'm not looking for another aquatic, but I don't like frags that are overly floral, too dark, or generally ones that have too much sweetness or spice. Ok, every once in a while I enjoy some of those, but for the most part, I guess I tend to prefer rather "safe" & "clean" type frags. I do also like citrus, woods, some musks, oakmoss, and some blends with tea & light tobacco, but I already have enough of those types. Oh, & my skin also tends to eat up the weaker frags, so I find myself generally sticking with ones that have a bit more "staying power".

Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for seems like a pretty tough combo to find, so I thought I'd finally break down and ask for my 1st real help thread here on BN to tap into your guy's vast knowledge & experience. Maybe I'm missing a near perfect frag for me, as sometimes I just crave this type of fragrance and haven't really found the "right" one to satisfy that yet. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered!

Default Re: Need Help!...finding a new clean/fresh (maybe even a bit "soapy"), yet classy & not-too-fem scen

Prada Amber Pour Homme.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Default Re: Need Help!...finding a new clean/fresh (maybe even a bit "soapy"), yet classy & not-too-fem scen

I was going to say Anais Anais (excellent, persistent, soapy rose, and quite masculine too), but I'm afraid that would fall into the "too feminine" category.

Kurkdjian has some expensive, but very smooth and pleasant, clean frags (but clearly perfumes, not straightforward soap as OV), and with excellent staying power - Aqua Universalis (a bright white musk) and APOM (more towards neroli). Another idea could be a clean, non-fougere lavender like ELdO Antiheros.

I personally like a lot green chypres, whose green-ness is a mix of dark, mossy notes, and clean soapy ones. Vintage Givenchy III goes more in the clean direction, though one has to get vintage. Futur is a balance of forest and soap. But this genre is clearly not pure clean, it's a mix.

cacio

Prada Amber is a great scent

Basenotes Member

Try Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Heeley Sel Marin

Aqua Univeralis or Colonia Assoluta would be my choice.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

YSL-Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Prada Amber PH
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Invasion Barbare
    Colonia Assoluta
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Moschino Uomo may work out for you.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Dependent

Invasion Barbare
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I second Rive Gauche and the aforementioned Prada scents.

Creed Himalaya or Paco Rabanne XS?

Dependent

Of those I have tried so far, Prada Infusion d'Homme and Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSociopath View Post
    Creed Himalaya or Paco Rabanne XS?
    I'll second that.

Gendarme
    Gendarme V
    Halston 1-12
    Bulgari PH Extreme
    Bulgari PH Soir
    Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel
    Last edited by SmellsLike; 1st October 2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Gendarme 20.

Prada Infusion d'Homme.....might be a bit too soapy, but excellent choice.
    or maybe....Boss Orange Man....perfectly spicy.

Prada Infusion d'Homme ..

Moschino Uomo
    PR XS
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Dune Pour Homme is my personal go-to "clean" fragrance. Maybe a little sweetness but not overwhelmingly sweet at all if you ask me. Great strength and lasting power. Like clean white laundry blowing in the breeze and driftwood.

Edit: Fixed the name.
    Last edited by My_pep_pep; 1st October 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Banned

Try:

Eau Illuminee by Delrae
    - One is initially treated to a gust of freshness from the invigorating melange of bittersweet bergamot and basil, with its lemony and slightly spicy greenness. Percolating a bit, this clean blend transitions to the waiting middle. Here, the minty clean aroma of lavender commingles with various herbs, and infuses the opening brew. Green and camphoraceous rosemary, earthy and verdant geranium as well as sharp lemon verbena work their wiles with this spic and span heart, while a tad of vanilla bobs about. Transitioning to the awaiting base, tonka bean encases the herbal concoction, and imparts its vanillic, freshly-mown lawn character and interplays with enabling, violet-like orris. A delicately laundered drydown ensues. This somewhat elegant composition leans heavily to the masculine side; and, although it can be considered an all-season scent, it will bloom in the spring and summer. A well-crafted fragrance with quality ingredients, it has good projection and longevity.

&

Nasomatto Silver Musk by Nasomatto - Initially, one is treated to a swirling mandarin, with its sweetly tart, orangey facet. Lavender, with its fresh floral aspect, commingles with the mardain to create a zesty, herbal presence. A nascent soapiness from white musk emerges in the background. Transitioning, a lightly sweetish cyclamen carries itself to the fore along with a more softly diffusive and slightly powdery white musk. A characteristically aloof iris, with its violet-like, woody facet, wrests for prominence. Segueing, a faint metallic note, akin to metal shavings, ephemerally surfaces. A magical aldehyde imparts its sparkly clean and fresh vibe. And, a mild hedione diffuses its subtly green sensation. The white musk has taken on a waxy brightness. An alluring drydown ensues. This somewhat elegant composition has average projection and very good longevity.

+4 on Prada Amber Pour Homme

Prada Amber Pour Homme is one of my favorites.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

+1 on Grey Flannel and Invasion Barbare. The price differential between these 2 will probably make you laugh.

Also try Domenico Caraceni 1913. Slightly soapy but classy.

Another one for Himalaya with it's Icy clean musk.

+1 Halston I-12

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    AdP Colonia Assoluta
    Guerlain Vetiver

I agree with himalaya. It's green and pretty soapy (but not overly so).

Wow! Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I always discover completely new frags to research & test out from all of you! Ok, so some of the ones mentioned I've already tested, but most I have not. I researched all of the ones I haven't & including all, here is what I've narrowed down to:

Prada Amber - I just ordered a sample of this. I do remember testing this briefly earlier in the year and thinking it wasn't too bad, but it was only a test strip & I need to skin test it. I'm really thinking this may end up being one I really like, but we'll see. It's accessibility & price point are good for me, so I'm hoping it works well.
    Prada Infusion - I'm going to try skin testing this one at a local sephora. Again, I remember smelling it on a test strip a while back & thinking it was ok, but the base notes on this one make me a bit leary. I tend not to like incense in frags, unless it's VERY toned down. It just lingers and blooms on my skin in a way I can't handle. For example, Bleu de Chanel ends up just smelling like I rubbed a strong incense stick all over me.
    Great Jones - haven't tried this Bond yet. I'll have to get my hands on a sample.
    Heely Sel Marin - reviews are salty, spicy aquatic - if that's true, definitely not my thing. Frags like Hugh Parsons Blue & Creed's MI have a "saltwater" accord that just smells awful, harsh & chemical to me.
    LIDGE - interesting suggestion. This is probably my #1 "To test" frags right now, as I really think I'd love it. Problem is, it's super hard to find and out of my current price range (although not forever)
    Acqua Univeralis - reviews indicate quite floral & poor longevity - may have to pass for now
    Colonia Assoluta - sounds like a good possibility, but reviews indicate "spicy" - I'm really looking for something devoid of spice in this type of frag to be honest.
    Rive Gauche - I do own & LOVE this one & yes, it does drydown to sort of a creamy soapiness. It's truly one of my favorites...the problem is, my wife isn't a huge fan of it (I accidentally oversprayed when I first got it & that, combined with the ultra strong top & mid put her off a bit). I'm still trying to get her to turn around on it but we'll see.
    Invasion Barbare - truly sounds like an absolutely beautiful fragrance...sadly, at $4/ml, it's just not in my ballpark right now.
    Moschino Uomo - sounds very promising & it's at a great price point. Will have to check it out for sure.
    Himalaya/Paco XS - I've tested Himalaya extensively actually, thinking it would be a near perfect frag for me by the description. While I do pick up a hint of cool soapiness at times, this fragrance actually develops more warm & spicy on my skin (I find it a much more complex & developing frag than it's given credit for). It's ok, but just ends up a bit too spicy for what I'm looking for.
    Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver - unfortunately, another one that's just a bit too pricey right now
    Gendarme, V & 20 - out of all of these, the original sounds like the strongest possibility & is at a good price point. Will check out for sure.
    Grey Flannel - this one just doesn't quite work for me...not sure why...it just doesn't "fit" (maybe too mature)
    Boss Orange Man - sounds a little too sweet & spicy for what I'm looking for
    Dune Pour Homme - sounds like it has a strong fig throughout...definitely not a fan of fig
    Eau Illuminee - again, just a bit out of my price range
    Nasomatto Silver musk - Wow, almost $5/ml...yikes, that's a no-go I'm afraid
    D&G Pour Homme - hmmmm, good price & a possibility...will look into it
    Domenico Caraceni - reviews all talk about a lot of incense - I can't handle much incense in frags at all

Again, thanks so much guys! I have some great ones to look into and can hopefully find one that "fits" just right!

[QUOTE]LIDGE - interesting suggestion. This is probably my #1 "To test" frags right now, as I really think I'd love it. Problem is, it's super hard to find and out of my current price range (although not forever)

[Domenico Caraceni - reviews all talk about a lot of incense - I can't handle much incense in frags at all

[QUOTE]

LIDGE is awesome! I found it at the Toronto Guerlain Boutique ($ 5-ish for the 75 ml bottle). Great people to deal with!

Re: the Domenico Caraceni: I don't find that much incense in 1913. It definitely doesn't work for everybody, but I love it! To me it's a must try!

Banned

Serge Lutens Datura Noir, Prda Amber and infusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Serge Lutens Datura Noir, Prda Amber and infusion.

[QUOTE=straightrazorguy;2713026][QUOTE]LIDGE - interesting suggestion. This is probably my #1 "To test" frags right now, as I really think I'd love it. Problem is, it's super hard to find and out of my current price range (although not forever)

[Domenico Caraceni - reviews all talk about a lot of incense - I can't handle much incense in frags at all

LIDGE is awesome! I found it at the Toronto Guerlain Boutique ($ 5-ish for the 75 ml bottle). Great people to deal with!

Re: the Domenico Caraceni: I don't find that much incense in 1913. It definitely doesn't work for everybody, but I love it! To me it's a must try!
    Thank you! I won't write off 1913 then! As for LIDGE, yes, I have a VERY strong feeling when I try it I'll absolutely love it and I see it very likely I'll own a bottle in the not-too-distant future!

Cartier Declaration Cologne
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee
    Hermes Voyage

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Hermes Voyage
    Thanks for these! After looking into them, the Guerlain seems the most intriguing....lime, mint, rum, vetiver, woods....if blended well, these sound like very appealing notes too me. I'm heading into winter, though...would you say this would be more of a summer frag?

- - - Updated - - -

Hermes Voyage
    Thanks for these! After looking into them, the Guerlain seems the most intriguing....lime, mint, rum, vetiver, woods....if blended well, these sound like very appealing notes too me. I'm heading into winter, though...would you say this would be more of a summer frag?

Yes, GH L'Eau Boisee is very good for summer, but you can very well wear it in the winter. The type of frag you look for does seem one intended for summer though.

I see you have Platinum Egoiste. What about this?

Yes, GH L'Eau Boisee is very good for summer, but you can very well wear it in the winter. The type of frag you look for does seem one intended for summer though.

I see you have Platinum Egoiste. What about this?
    Thanks @Luca! Yes, I really like PE. It's fresh/clean & class without a doubt. I guess as I'm narrowing down, I think what I'm really craving/looking for is a gentler/softer, soapier scent, devoid of much spice & maybe a little better suited for the cold, cold winters here...just not too feminine. PE does really well on my skin & just "blooms" when it's warm or hot...but it doesn't seem to wow me as much in the colder weather. This is why I'm wondering if Prada Amber will work very well...as long as it doesn't develop too feminine on me. It sounds soft, a bit rich, and soapy, with decent projection/longevity & is within a good price-point for me currently. Either way, I'm going to seek out a sample of the Guerlain, as it absolutely sounds up my alley!

PRADA AMBER POUR HOMME
    PRADA AMBER POUR HOMME INTENSE
    Both are high quality and mainstays in almost everyones Frag Wardrobe

+1 for Prada Amber Pour Homme
    Moschino Forever

Quote Originally Posted by staticx View Post
    +1 for Prada Amber Pour Homme
    Moschino Forever
    the Moschino definitely sounds interesting. thanks for the rec!

CDG Kyoto has a soapy undertone to it. I really like it. It's not super clean/fresh per say, but it's a great frag that I would say leans masculine.

Interesting, I just posted this in the Men's forum for someone else but, I think its worth posting here.

Faconnable is probably one of the best soapy / barbershop fragrances. Also, you can pick up a bottle for around $25-30.

I think most of the Acqua di Parma line would fit your requirements. Try the original Colonia and Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana.

Ok, so first thing to come in was overall the most recommended....Amber Pour Homme. After 1 full wearing, I have to say, I think this may fit the bill right now. I was able to pick up an official 10ml travel spray at a good price. While the opening definitely leans a bit feminine, once this moves to the late middle and drydown, I think it does start to shift to a more masculine tone on me (although I can see how for some people it could still come off as feminine).

I find it high quality, with pretty good projection & longevity, and to me, it definitely has a very nice clean & soapy vibe, with a very classy feel. Oh, yes, I can easily see matching this after a nice clean shave, new haircut, as a comfort scent on a relaxing day or for more classy and formal events when you're dressed to the nines.

So, thanks again everyone for your great recommendations. Prada amber has now joined my collection and I will continue to sample many of the others suggested.

Congrats on your new acquisition. The more you wear it you will be able to even pick up on the faint sweetness from the vanilla notes in the dry down. Perfect all around fragrance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Ok, so first thing to come in was overall the most recommended....Amber Pour Homme. After 1 full wearing, I have to say, I think this may fit the bill right now.....Prada amber has now joined my collection....
    Wonderful choice.

I own and enjoy Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada as well.