Code of Conduct

Default Something Different

I'm bored of the mass market scents that all smell the same.

Is it just me?

I want to pick up a bottle of something. Something that not everyone else has - I don't care about the brand as long as it smells good.

Any tips? By unique I don't mean Kouros...that thing could clear battlefields and chase away binders full of women.

Default Re: Something Different

Style for Men by Micallef

Chypre Palatin-MDCI
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

What kind of scents/notes do you like?

There are thousands of frags that could be mentioned. Wouldn't have a clue where to begin.
    You could get suggestions from a vintage Guerlain to Odeur 71

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    What kind of scents/notes do you like?
    I had Creed - Aventus, and loved it. Ditto Chanel - Egoiste

i'd like to branch out though and try new, less well-known brands.

Tips?

I don't know if you can get Slumberhouse in the UK now, but if not, look into Czech and Speake.

Try ELDO, Tauer, and Comme de Garcons, all 3 houses have some pretty unique offerings.

Editions de Parfums have a very wide range of perfumes.

Try Serge Lutens too.

for swap/sale:

I'm a big fan of Etat Libre d'Orange. I think Jasmin et Cigarette, Noel au Balcon, Bijou Romantique, Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes, and Tilda Swinton are especially worth checking out. (Of course Secretions Magnifiques smells very, very different from typical mass market scents, but I don't think you want to buy a bottle of that!)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Le Labo Rose 31

Creed Windsor

For "fun", I also second Etat Libre d'Orange. They're quirky, modern perfumes, often based on some unusual and interesting idea. My favorites are Je suis un homme (woody incensy), Tom of Finland (saffrony leather), and Rien (but beware, this is very strong and animalic).

cacio

Yeah, a lot of the newer releases will all start to smell alike after awhile. Delve into some more vintage stuff if that's the case. Most niche caters to those that are tired of generic modern scents. But yeah, some more specifics would be helpful. I once wore Davidoff Adventure and was told it smelled different. Maybe some scents by less well known houses like Ted Baker and Paul Smith, seeing how you are from the UK.

Dependent

To get valuable advice, I recommend narrowing down your search by informing the BN community with some likes, dislikes, favorite notes and genres, etc. Your post is unlikely to be of great use, as it is too vague.

You're in London? Go to Les Senteurs (either branch) and smell a bunch of stuff and talk with the SAs. You will find interesting things and they will give you samples.

There's few classics in the shopping malls worth checking, go to the Guerlain shelf and have a sniff around. John Lewis got a good selection of less-mass-marketed scents, like Acqua di Parma, few Lutens, Annick Goutal, few bits of the Tom Ford's Private Blends and Armani exclusive lines.
    If you are in London, Liberty perfume section is worth checking
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    You're in London? Go to Les Senteurs (either branch) and smell a bunch of stuff and talk with the SAs. You will find interesting things and they will give you samples.
    Was going to suggest this.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sound Scents

I recommend the house of O'driu if excellent smelling and unique is what you seek. One caveat is you need to like herbal/spicy compositions as most are quite herbal and/or spicy. For something easily wearable from the line, you may want to sample Laurhum.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hermessence Ambre Narguile

Banned

Try:

Thé Brun by Jean-Charles Brosseau - Upon application, one is treated to a lovely, black tea accord. The smoky and full-bodied, lapsang souchong wafts about commingling with the orangey and subtly peppery bergamot, as well as wisps of vanilla and cinnamon. Transitioning to the heart, florals, namely, a tutti-frutti jasmine, the sweetly powdery woodiness of violet, and the sweetish citrus of orange blossom, brew with the aromatic tea. Segueing to the robust base, the fragrant tea is bouyed by Brazillian rosewood, with its spicy floral facets. A spicy sweetness, akin to anise, of cumin, with a whisper of sweat, couples with an exotic, floral and woody musk and a somewhat smoky and slightly powdery lavender to enhance the aromatics. An enticing drydown ensues. This wonderous, masculine composition is part of the Homme Collection, and has average projection, becoming a skin scent after a couple of hours, and average longevity. Its reasonable, price point only heightens its appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I don't know if you can get Slumberhouse in the UK now, but if not, look into Czech and Speake.
    +1 on C&S.

Also try some of the 'barbershop' houses. If you are able to get to Greek Park, take a walk on Jermyn Street and the surrounding area. These brands are all based there:

Geo F Trumpers
    DR Harris
    Santa Maria Novella
    Truefitt & Hill
    Taylor's of Old Bond Street

...and many others, including C&S
    Last edited by rum; 31st October 2012 at 09:34 AM.

Not much to go on. All you have said is "something that smells good that not everyone has."
    How about trying some of the Kenzo range?

Hit your neareast Harvey Nics and/or Selfridges and smell away!

Try Costume National Scent Intense.
    Not generic at all if it appeals to you...

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    +1 on C&S.

Also try some of the 'barbershop' houses. If you are able to get to Greek Park, take a walk on Jermyn Street and the surrounding area. These brands are all based there:

Geo F Trumpers
    DR Harris
    Santa Maria Novella
    Truefitt & Hill
    Taylor's of Old Bond Street

...and many others, including C&S
    Great suggestions. And Floris is right there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Great suggestions. And Floris is right there, too.
    Ah yes, Floris. How could I forget? Doh!

Some really interesting suggestions! Yes I am London based so thankfully I have a lot of places I can go and sample different scents.

Oh, and one final question - any eau du parfums you would recommend, rather than eau de toilette?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by renatodocks View Post
    Some really interesting suggestions! Yes I am London based so thankfully I have a lot of places I can go and sample different scents.

Oh, and one final question - any eau du parfums you would recommend, rather than eau de toilette?

Thanks
    Probably 80% of the suggestions given are EDP. Although you'll find with numerous brands that EDT's are stronger than mainstream EDP's even - the concentration is nothing of real importance.

An EdP I'd heartily recommend is Habit Rouge. The EdT is great, but the EdP is stunning.

And the extrait...... Sublime.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Blog Entries

Amouage Opus VI