Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gardenia lovers invited:)- Ineke Hothouse Flower Sample Pass USA only

I'm bowing out of this sample pass. This is not a good time for you to be spending money on shipping samples, kalli, and from all the reviews I can tell I will not like Hothouse Flower, so it would be doubly a waste of funds.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gardenia lovers invited:)- Ineke Hothouse Flower Sample Pass USA only

Before I go back and read what everyone else has said, I'll post my first impressions about Hothouse Flower.

It is potent! Even before I could unwrap the well-sealed sample sent by Cestrum nocturnum , HF announced itself as fairly sweet and leaning toward a youngish audience. I experienced a fleeting flashback to 1960s Yardley Oh de London, but can't say exactly why -- maybe just the simple, sweet, floral nature. If I didn't know the notes, I would start guessing there might be some lilac and powdery notes. Smelling the liquid itself, I like the sharp, verdant note, which I attribute more to the cypress than the other green candidates. Up close on my skin, which often makes fragrances take an unfortunate turn, that green note heads toward the vile vegetative green goo of the garden stinkbug. The the heart notes lose the greens and become more wearable for me as I like the fig coming to the forefront. The drydown doesn't go anywhere in particular.

I might be inclined to give HF another go near springtime when certain cravings erupt with the crocuses.

The notes listed are some of my favorites, but I've learned that this hardly ever helps me find swoonable fragrances. Random sampling results in better percentages. Go figure.

P.S. ~ DD wrinkled his nose at this one. He thought Hothouse Flower might be more like Demeter's Wet Garden, which he loves.

Back from reviewing this thread ...

Kalli, thank you again for getting HF into circulation. The name would have haunted me until I got to sniff this.

Cestrum, you're looking after your mom? (Puts hand to chest.) Been there. Bless your little Cotton socks.

I can understand the impressions each of you related. Looks like a thumb-neutral fragrance.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

30R..well, I sent the Hothouse out finally, so you will be able to try it anyway I suppose! But thank you for thinking of me.
    Last edited by kalli; 13th November 2012 at 11:40 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks, kalli. I'll try it and pass it along to Twolf.

Thank you, ladies!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

http://www.nstperfume.com/2012/11/14...new-fragrance/

On the subject of gardenias ... NST Robin just posted news about Bottega's larest addition whose notes are gardenia, musk, and oak moss.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I received my samples from kalli this afternoon and will begin testing over the weekend!
    Thanks, kalli!

Well, looks like we have a newer BNer, Glisten, who would like spot 3 in group 4!

Welcome Glisten!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've had this fragrance on for 9.5 hours and still like it, to my amazement. There hasn't been any stage in its development that I disliked.

I've only had it on my arm, one small spritz-- a full wearing might be too much gardenia for me, but I will try it again before passing it along.

My daughter made the observation that it reminded her of Chantecaille Pétales and I'm inclined to agree, though I haven't tried them side by side.

Gosh, where have I been lately? I've missed out on all the reviews here!

Quarry, you're such a hoot! "Up close on my skin, which often makes fragrances take an unfortunate turn, that green note heads toward the vile vegetative green goo of the garden stinkbug." Ack! I know that smell. What an analogy!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I've had this fragrance on for 9.5 hours and still like it, to my amazement. There hasn't been any stage in its development that I disliked.

I've only had it on my arm, one small spritz-- a full wearing might be too much gardenia for me, but I will try it again before passing it along.

My daughter made the observation that it reminded her of Chantecaille Pétales and I'm inclined to agree, though I haven't tried them side by side.
    It's good to see that Hothouse Flower is getting some love! And an excellent point about application, 30 Roses. I think I gave myself two or three squirts with this one. Maybe a lighter hand would have worked out better for me. I should know better with the white stuff!

Have to say that I'm totally impressed with your daughter's comment!! Sounds like she she could teach me a thing or two.
    A two perfumista household! Gotta love it.

I think that's the key maybe..it's pretty concentrated, so maybe a light hand with that one in some cases and some cases being me! I did like it much more when it was just one squirt on the arm as opposed to several squirts which was too much for me after a bit! But with one squirt I was inclined to give it a thumbs up a few times.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here's what I got so far...

I liked it at first sniff and thought it could be unisex at that point-- green, bergamot, fig

In about 10 minutes it seemed a bit more sharp when smelled close up, but okay if sniffed from a foot away. No problem with sillage and I was glad I'd applied one spray (on my arm.)

At 30 minutes I was really noticing the gardenia the most, and it was bordering on getting too sweet.
    At 45 minutes it started smelling a bit creamier.

At that point I lost track for a while as my attention was elsewhere.

Picking it up again at the 2 hour mark, I was smelling a laundry-fresh sort of smell (musk?)-- I could have done without this note but it wasn't bad.

After this I was busy and only noticed it now and again as it wafted up from my sleeve, but it was pleasant. Not something I would buy, but not bad, either.

I think I've figured something out about certain flowers-- I like a brief whiff of them, but I get weary of smelling the scent for hours. Gardenia and carnation definitely fall into this category, and I think jasmine as well. Other flowers I can happily smell (and smell of) for hours and hours.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hothouse Flower is on its way to Twolf.

Thank you, 30R.

FInally checked the mailbox -- the package is here. I sniffed from the sprayer and did not understand it. I sprayed a bit on the wrist and do not get any gardenia, instead there is something I would call Inekeaide -- not bad per se but not entirely my thing. There is that sweet green element characteristic of hot house plants though. I need to think more what to write.

Any more thoughts on that Ineke? Not something you would buy? I still need to try those Floral Curiosities. All I've tried is that Briar Rose..which is nice, a bowl of berries and rose. Longevity is good with that one too. May have to try those travel sprays at some point. Very curious about the FCs after your descriptions.

Was this sent out to the last sniffer, Glisten yet?

No, I have not yet, I am very busy and will try to do early next week. Apologies about the delay.