Code of Conduct

Default need help for xmas!

hello fellow BN women users,
    I am just starting out xmas shopping, yes I get it done early. but my girlfriend loves viva la juicy (she's 20). she's expressed that she would be open to trying some other fragrances, but I'm lost when it comes to women's perfume. i am trying to have all of her gifts be somewhat of a surprise so taking her into a store to test would give it away. Is there anything out there that is in the realm of viva la juicy? Ive been doing some research and these are some that seem like possibilities:

miss dior: the one formerly known as "miss dior cherlie". i read a few places that this is a slightly more classy viva la juicy, and I'm thinking could possibly be a stepping stone for more complex smells for her.

pink sugar: i heard this was a very sweet perfume, which viva la juicy is.

flowerbomb: although this turned me off with the name, (she doesn't like florals too much), I've read it is much more of a sweet vanilla than a floral.

so this is what i have so far. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: need help for xmas!

Prada Candy would be a good bet I think.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Miss Dior sounds like a good choice. Try For Her by Narcisso Rodriguez, Allure by Chanel (not Allure Sensuelle), Blackberry & Vanilla Musk by Trish McEvoy

Agree with Kalli on Prada Candy. You could also try new Nina by Nina Ricci (in the apple shaped bottle) - it's quite sweet with a fizzy, citrusy, toffee-apple vibe. Coco Mademoiselle could be another one to test. If you're thinking of vanilla then check out Kenzo Amour or Cinema by YSL.

Try also Madame by Gaultier, a nice lemon meringue kind of Vanilla in a pretty bottle

I don't like to disagree with another BN member but I'd avoid Madame most young ladies (20s) I know dislike or can't stand Madame. I think the new "Miss Dior" (formally Miss Dior Cherie) to be a good choice. Get it gift wrapped and use little bow tie instead of a ribbon and merry Christmas!
    What I've Been Wearing:

Blog Entries

Pink Sugar is extremely sweet, and like a burnt sugar, caramel, candy floss kind of a perfume. No floral, and smells nothing like VLJ. as for Miss Dior my husband made me get rid of mine, by announcing it smelled like "old lady perfume"

Prada Candy i like too. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    Pink Sugar is extremely sweet, and like a burnt sugar, caramel, candy floss kind of a perfume. No floral, and smells nothing like VLJ. as for Miss Dior my husband made me get rid of mine, by announcing it smelled like "old lady perfume"

Prada Candy i like too. Good Luck
    Was it the new Miss Dior or the "classic" (yellowish) one?
    What I've Been Wearing:

ok, which miss dior should i be looking at? i know it had a name change from "miss dior cherie" to just "miss dior" but there are several "miss dior" fragrances now. and they all look similar. and scent-imental, are you saying pink sugar is not a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by RickS1169 View Post
    ok, which miss dior should i be looking at? i know it had a name change from "miss dior cherie" to just "miss dior" but there are several "miss dior" fragrances now. and they all look similar. and scent-imental, are you saying pink sugar is not a good choice?
    The pink one that was "Cherie" is now Miss Dior and this is the one you want to try. The old Miss Dior is now Miss Dior Original and is yellow.
    What I've Been Wearing:

L'enfer, interesting, more information please! What besides Miss Dior (Cherie) do the young ladies like and dislike?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    Was it the new Miss Dior or the "classic" (yellowish) one?
    It was the classic, very powdery. I sold it on Ebay, very cheaply too, I might add. Haven't tried the Cherie version, how do they differ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RickS1169 View Post
    Rick, i was just supplying some information abut how Pink Sugar smells, it would be for you to decide if she would like it. They have Pink Sugar Sensual too, which is less sweet, maybe a bit more grown up, and sexier.

I personally like Pink Sugar. I think it would suite your girlfriend if she is into sugary-sweet stuff. I also agree with Nina by Nina Ricci as a good choice.

Pink Sugar is really, really plastic-y plus sugar. Hypnotic Poison may be one to look into. But I'd still go with the Prada.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Pink Sugar is really, really plastic-y plus sugar. Hypnotic Poison may be one to look into. But I'd still go with the Prada.
    +1 for the Hypnotic Poison.

Hypnotic Poison and Prada Candy are both great choices -- and the Candy packaging is adorable without being childish. If you want something unusual but affordable, try a sample of Olympic Orchids' Red Cattleya; it's sweet and fruity but complex.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!