Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Malle Coffrets

  1. #31
    Foustie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,610
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    .....you went immediately for three of the best the house has, all from Ropion. All three of those are great masterwork quality compositions, IMO.
    So I did! He is fantastic, yes? A real master. Then a surprise! I tried Fleur de Cassie (also Dominique Ropion) with much anticipation. It is highly lauded for its beauty and structure, and I didn't like it. I just really didn't like it. I can't help it. For me, there is a note which reminds me of some kind of ornamental currant bush I used to have (it didn't fruit). I cant remember which type it was but it looked lovely and smelled unpleasant. Unfortunately in Fleur de Cassie, I seem to smell this unpleasant, sort of herbal smell and a kind of scorched note.

    On the other hand, I have also tried Dans tes Bras for the first time. Now this one (by Maurice Roucel) seems to divide opinion. I LOVE IT!!!! It is absolutey beautiful. Heliotrope and a clear "Ting" like lilac maybe (not violet although there are violets too), an undercurrent of Iris, and synthetic woods, which I happen to really like. A spring fragrance, very lovely.

  2. #32
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    7,693

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    So I did! He is fantastic, yes? A real master. Then a surprise! I tried Fleur de Cassie (also Dominique Ropion) with much anticipation. It is highly lauded for its beauty and structure, and I didn't like it. I just really didn't like it. I can't help it. For me, there is a note which reminds me of some kind of ornamental currant bush I used to have (it didn't fruit). I cant remember which type it was but it looked lovely and smelled unpleasant. Unfortunately in Fleur de Cassie, I seem to smell this unpleasant, sort of herbal smell and a kind of scorched note.

    On the other hand, I have also tried Dans tes Bras for the first time. Now this one (by Maurice Roucel) seems to divide opinion. I LOVE IT!!!! It is absolutey beautiful. Heliotrope and a clear "Ting" like lilac maybe (not violet although there are violets too), an undercurrent of Iris, and synthetic woods, which I happen to really like. A spring fragrance, very lovely.
    I just kicked you out of the Malle/Ropion Club now that you have revealed your "true colors" in your dislike of Une Fleur de Cassie, Foustie... ;-) Actually, while I confess I absolutely love Une Fleur de Cassie, it is quite the polarizing one, as some folks (I would wager you are one) are very sensitive to the decaying floral aspects. I guess I lucked out and am not able to smell those. The Ropion composition from the line I could not quite get along with desprite its near universal appeal is Geranium pour Monsieur... I'm pretty sure it's reportedly the prototype of Portrait of a Lady, but I thought the minty geranium combo used by Ropion was just too much... The good news is the line in general has something for just about everyone... Oh yes, and count me too in the Dans Tes Bras supporters group.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Quadrille by Balenciaga

  3. #33

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    I ordered this too, a few days ago. I have been attracted to fragrance all my life but never had the time/wherewithal to seriously explore it. Now, I do-- and thought I would start with the Malle Collection 2012. I have a 5ml sample of Iris Poudre hoarded from years ago, that has driven me mad and haunted me so that I was at last going to buy more, when I came across the Coffret (and was a goner)!

    I ordered from the FM website but the coffrets are also available in the US at Barney's NY and at Aedes De Venustas. While at A de V I also ordered some samples by Serge Lutens. I don't have much experience with fragrance but have read about it here and elsewhere.

    As far as value for the FM set I think it is acceptable, at least as compared to the usual price of their bottles. I did a comparison per ml of the prices and the coffret came out about the same as the single bottles (these do vary in price).

    I am looking forward to my journey into the world of beautiful parfum and so appreciate the erudite posters on this site who generously share their knowledge--as I have no idea what i am doing! But I know what I like--I think. (^_^)

  4. #34
    Super Member L'enfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Down & Out in Paris
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Foustie did FM email you when your coffrets was dispatched? I'm incredibly impatient I can't wait, even though my other half owns a fair bit of FM having my own samples well...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Off topic:

    Does anyone have any idea why Cologne Bigarade was excluded from the complete collection set?
    What I've Been Wearing:

  5. #35

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Hi L'enfer-- Not Foustie, but yes E de P, that is FM, did immediately acknowledge my order and shipped it out right away too. With tracking number. I also liked that it was free shipping from E de P. It will be here on Friday the 14th, and I ordered on 12/06 !

    I also had wondered why Cologne Bigarade is not included in the Collection 2012. Not sure, but my thought was that since it does include Bigarade Concentree, maybe these are almost the same thing?

  6. #36

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    I have been so lusting after this... but it makes NO SENSE for me, as I have five bottles already. (Une Rose, Iris Poudre, En Passant, Bois d'orage, Carnal Flower.) Obviously I'm a huge fan of the line...

    Actually, our local Saks (Houston) put on their website and emailed me that they'd have the coffrets in store on a particular day -- this was several weeks ago. So a girlfriend and I made a special trip there -- but, no coffrets! Sales staff was very lackadaisical about it... "oh, the what? oh, they didn't arrive..." (we know them, so we gave them a scolding, but they didn't seem too concerned.)

    I'm surprised that I've managed to infect several innocent bystanders/friends, with the perfume-bug, in at least a limited way. My friend mentioned above now has two Malles, and a le Labo, one Nez a nez, one Serge Lutens -- this, after wearing only one perfume for the last 30 yrs. And, one acquaintance, for his wife's anniversary, took his wife and their three daughters to the Malle counter, they sniffed and he bought his wife one on the spot. And their 13 yr old fell in love with Carnal Flower and is getting it for Christmas. (You're welcome, Frederic.)

    Malle -- the man -- is making an appearance at Saks here on the 14th, I imagine they'll manage to get the coffretts in stock by then! (I do intend to continue to resist ordering or buying the coffrett. Wish me luck.)

  7. #37
    Super Member L'enfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Down & Out in Paris
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Quote Originally Posted by afreespirit View Post
    Hi L'enfer-- Not Foustie, but yes E de P, that is FM, did immediately acknowledge my order and shipped it out right away too. With tracking number. I also liked that it was free shipping from E de P. It will be here on Friday the 14th, and I ordered on 12/06 !

    I also had wondered why Cologne Bigarade is not included in the Collection 2012. Not sure, but my thought was that since it does include Bigarade Concentree, maybe these are almost the same thing?
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I also got an email straight away but was hoping it would be shipped today but I ordered on Friday evening I suppose that was unrealistic. I hope you enjoy your's when it arrives thanks again for replying.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh my I just received an email from FM with the tracking number.
    What I've Been Wearing:

  8. #38

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    You are welcome L'enfer and I hope you enjoy your coffret as well! Somehow I don't think we will be disappointed...(^_^)

    And I was pleased to see that FM lived up to the level of service I would expect from them.

  9. #39
    Foustie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,610
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    Foustie did FM email you when your coffrets was dispatched? I'm incredibly impatient I can't wait, even though my other half owns a fair bit of FM having my own samples well...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Off topic:

    Does anyone have any idea why Cologne Bigarade was excluded from the complete collection set?
    Sorry! I didn't see this till now. Anyway, I see that you have your email. Hurrah! You are going to love it.

  10. #40
    Super Member L'enfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Down & Out in Paris
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Coffret arrived today I'm very impressed. Wearing L'eau d'Hiver, nice possible buy? Maybe...
    What I've Been Wearing:

  11. #41

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Can you tell me please, are those sprays or splashes?

  12. #42
    Super Member L'enfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Down & Out in Paris
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    Quote Originally Posted by Dudette View Post
    Can you tell me please, are those sprays or splashes?
    Sprays and very good sprays at that the bottles are also quite big.
    What I've Been Wearing:

  13. #43

    Default Re: Malle Coffrets

    For those that have the coffret, did you get postcards with it? The description says it comes with artistic postcards but I did not get any with my shipment which came today. I have sent an email to FM asking for the cards.

Similar Threads

  1. Where to buy Malle??
    By Genie Jeanie in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th September 2012, 10:17 PM
  2. mr Malle goes to Boston
    By Manos, The Hands of Fate in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11th May 2007, 09:12 PM
  3. New Malle... for men!!
    By Kakihara in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 7th May 2007, 01:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000