Code of Conduct

Thread: Malle Coffrets

Default Malle Coffrets

As reported on auparfum.fr, Malle are bringing out 3 coffrets of their fragrances : A complete collection, a masculine collection and a feminine collection. Each sample is 5 mL, and accompanied by illustrations by Konstantin Kakanias.

Details and prices as below :

Collection complète (225 euros) :
    Musc Ravageur, Une Fleur de Cassie, Le Parfum de Thérèse, Noir Epices, En Passant, Lipstick Rose, Lys Méditerranée, Iris Poudre, Angéliques sous la Pluie, Bigarade Concentrée, Vétiver Extraordinaire, Une Rose, L’Eau d’Hiver, Carnal Flower, French Lover, Dans tes Bras, Géranium pour Monsieur, Portrait of a Lady.
    Collection Femme (195 euros) :
    Musc Ravageur, Une Fleur de Cassie, Le Parfum de Thérèse, Noir Epices, En Passant, Lipstick Rose, Lys Méditerranée, Iris Poudre, Angéliques sous la Pluie, Cologne Bigarade, Une Rose, L’Eau d’Hiver, Carnal Flower, Dans tes Bras, Portrait of a Lady.
    Collection Homme (130 euros) :
    Musc Ravageur, Noir Epices, Angéliques sous la Pluie, Bigarade Concentrée, Vétiver Extraordinaire, L’Eau d’Hiver, French Lover, Géranium pour Monsieur.

Default Re: Malle Coffrets

Wow, great news!

Imagine the shock when one will discover his favorite perfume is designed for women

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Imagine the shock when one will discover his favorite perfume is designed for women
    :-D

No surprises here... the only Malle I still own (Une Fleur de Cassie) is 'femme'.

How stupid and inconsistent to differentiate this way!

Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing, I saw it on their facebook page too. I might get the men collection.

I want. Can't afford but want.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Thanks G. I had spotted this too. I think that the whole collection would be a really lovely thing to have......maybe talk to Santa?

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    ......maybe talk to Santa?
    That all depends on what kind of girl Foustie has been this year .

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    That all depends on what kind of girl Foustie has been this year .
    An old one. You been a good boy?

You been a good boy?

That'd be telling...

Not on their website. Any ideas who will stock it? Thanks.

Looks nice but 5ml only?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Looks nice but 5ml only?
    +1 on above. really overpriced for what they offer. you're looking at 40ml for 130euros, hmmmm... i think not. i'd rather spend the same (maybe slightly more) for just one 100ml bottle.

Yeah, thinkin now....... 225 Euros for the full collection of 18 which makes the bottles about 12 Euro each. They are the same size as the Dior Privée Sample bottles! Hmm. I really wanted this. I thought that it would be a lovely library of the Malle Editions. But yeah.....

Not on their website. Any ideas who will stock it? Thanks.
    They're available on F. Malle's site here: http://shop.fredericmalle.com/fr/per...ction-207.html

Thank You! Well spotted. I'm still interested.

You can get free samples from Liberty in London and each one has quite a few ml's in them!!

Given the size of my collection, and how lightly I spray, it takes me a looooooong time to use up 5ml. This would effectively give me all of the Malles for...well, years, and plenty of wearings to help me choose a favorite or two for a full-bottle purchase.

Well, I caved in and I bought one! I know that it is expensive but I am very happy with it. I went for the complete 2012 collection. It has all eighteen fragrances in it. It worked out at £188 and a few pence with no charge for shipping. It arrived from France in one day. The presentation is plain but stylish which I like. It comes with a set of postcards which correspond to each fragrance. They have a pictorial representation of the fragrance on the front and a photo of the perfumer and a short precis of the fragrance on the back.

Now, to value for money. Well, unfortunately I do think that they are expensive. The bottles are 5ml, so there is 90 mls of fragrance in total in the coffret and the price is the same as 100ml bottle of a single fragrance[I], BUUUT it depends how you approach this hobby. For me, well I am perhaps more inquisitive than acquisitive so it is an incredible opportunity for me, a privilege, to be able to experience the whole range. Really, lingering over them and being able to choose is wonderful. Bear in mind that the closest stockist of the range to me is in London.

Last night I went straight for Vetiver Extraordinaire, just to smell, then I wore Portrait of a Lady. Today, Carnal Flower. They are all fantastic.

Given that the collection is also a showcase really, and that it will inevitably lead to full bottle purchases, it would be nice if it was offered a bit more keenly priced but, for me it represents many wears and many, many hours of exploration, so I am delighted with it.

BTW, it would make an absolutely fantastic, failsafe, gift for a fragrance lover if you are close to one and you are loaded!

Or treat yourself, you know that you are worth it!

Edit; Sorry amended the price. It was £188 odds, not Euros as I first posted. As G tells us, the price is 225 Euros.
    Last edited by Foustie; 7th December 2012 at 11:34 AM.

^ Congrats, Foustie. Enjoy your coffret and thanks for the update on the price in Pounds.

You got yourself a good deal.

They are now for sale at Les Senteurs

http://shop.lessenteurs.com/product/...ffret_Complet_

They also have the male and feminine coffrets as well.
    DONNA

Spotted these coffrets yesterday and foolishly thought no one here had seen them yet. Ordering from Les Senteurs is roughly £15 more expensive than direct from FM.

I just wanted to thank Foustie it was thanks to your post I decided to take the plunge and buy the 2012 collection split between me and my other half of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Excited about this wish it was delivery day! *waits*
    What I've Been Wearing:

Want. Want. Want. And I'm in possession of a modest windfall. Temptation is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    Excited about this wish it was delivery day! *waits*
    Ha! I'm excited for you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Want. Want. Want. And I'm in possession of a modest windfall. Temptation is strong.
    Oh go on! If you can afford it, go for it. It is a lovely thing to have.....and also then L'Enfer and you can come back over here and we can all have a chat!!

I can tell you guys that I am absolutely delighted with mine. It is just the most stunningly gorgeous collection. When you see them ALL together, you can really, really, appreciate the quality of this line. I was familiar with some of them, but not all. I have a couple in my collection already. Dans tes Bras for the first time today!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Wow. Wow. Wow. I've been waiting for something like this from Frederic Malle for a looong time. Like Foustie I too am more 'inquisitive' than 'acquisitive'. Any idea if they ship internationally?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wow. Wow. Wow. I've been waiting for something like this from Frederic Malle for a looong time. Like Foustie I too am more 'inquisitive' than 'acquisitive'. Any idea if they ship internationally?
    I think so, but check. If not give me a shout and we can work something out.

Sound Scents

Well, I caved in and I bought one! I know that it is expensive but I am very happy with it. I went for the complete 2012 collection. It has all eighteen fragrances in it.

Last night I went straight for Vetiver Extraordinaire, just to smell, then I wore Portrait of a Lady. Today, Carnal Flower.
    Congrats on the great acquisition Foustie... And you went immediately for three of the best the house has, all from Ropion. All three of those are great masterwork quality compositions, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I think so, but check. If not give me a shout and we can work something out.
    Thank you for the kind offer, Foustie. It seems they do ship internationally but I think I should check the local Malle stockist first to see if they carry these coffrets. After getting a Cartier L'Heure as a gift last week this will look like a splurge. I know I've been good this year but probably not THAT good!

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    .....you went immediately for three of the best the house has, all from Ropion. All three of those are great masterwork quality compositions, IMO.
    So I did! He is fantastic, yes? A real master. Then a surprise! I tried Fleur de Cassie (also Dominique Ropion) with much anticipation. It is highly lauded for its beauty and structure, and I didn't like it. I just really didn't like it. I can't help it. For me, there is a note which reminds me of some kind of ornamental currant bush I used to have (it didn't fruit). I cant remember which type it was but it looked lovely and smelled unpleasant. Unfortunately in Fleur de Cassie, I seem to smell this unpleasant, sort of herbal smell and a kind of scorched note.

On the other hand, I have also tried Dans tes Bras for the first time. Now this one (by Maurice Roucel) seems to divide opinion. I LOVE IT!!!! It is absolutey beautiful. Heliotrope and a clear "Ting" like lilac maybe (not violet although there are violets too), an undercurrent of Iris, and synthetic woods, which I happen to really like. A spring fragrance, very lovely.

Sound Scents

So I did! He is fantastic, yes? A real master. Then a surprise! I tried Fleur de Cassie (also Dominique Ropion) with much anticipation. It is highly lauded for its beauty and structure, and I didn't like it. I just really didn't like it. I can't help it. For me, there is a note which reminds me of some kind of ornamental currant bush I used to have (it didn't fruit). I cant remember which type it was but it looked lovely and smelled unpleasant. Unfortunately in Fleur de Cassie, I seem to smell this unpleasant, sort of herbal smell and a kind of scorched note.

On the other hand, I have also tried Dans tes Bras for the first time. Now this one (by Maurice Roucel) seems to divide opinion. I LOVE IT!!!! It is absolutey beautiful. Heliotrope and a clear "Ting" like lilac maybe (not violet although there are violets too), an undercurrent of Iris, and synthetic woods, which I happen to really like. A spring fragrance, very lovely.
    I just kicked you out of the Malle/Ropion Club now that you have revealed your "true colors" in your dislike of Une Fleur de Cassie, Foustie... ;-) Actually, while I confess I absolutely love Une Fleur de Cassie, it is quite the polarizing one, as some folks (I would wager you are one) are very sensitive to the decaying floral aspects. I guess I lucked out and am not able to smell those. The Ropion composition from the line I could not quite get along with desprite its near universal appeal is Geranium pour Monsieur... I'm pretty sure it's reportedly the prototype of Portrait of a Lady, but I thought the minty geranium combo used by Ropion was just too much... The good news is the line in general has something for just about everyone... Oh yes, and count me too in the Dans Tes Bras supporters group.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I ordered this too, a few days ago. I have been attracted to fragrance all my life but never had the time/wherewithal to seriously explore it. Now, I do-- and thought I would start with the Malle Collection 2012. I have a 5ml sample of Iris Poudre hoarded from years ago, that has driven me mad and haunted me so that I was at last going to buy more, when I came across the Coffret (and was a goner)!

I ordered from the FM website but the coffrets are also available in the US at Barney's NY and at Aedes De Venustas. While at A de V I also ordered some samples by Serge Lutens. I don't have much experience with fragrance but have read about it here and elsewhere.

As far as value for the FM set I think it is acceptable, at least as compared to the usual price of their bottles. I did a comparison per ml of the prices and the coffret came out about the same as the single bottles (these do vary in price).

I am looking forward to my journey into the world of beautiful parfum and so appreciate the erudite posters on this site who generously share their knowledge--as I have no idea what i am doing! But I know what I like--I think. (^_^)

Foustie did FM email you when your coffrets was dispatched? I'm incredibly impatient I can't wait, even though my other half owns a fair bit of FM having my own samples well...

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic:

Does anyone have any idea why Cologne Bigarade was excluded from the complete collection set?
    What I've Been Wearing:

Hi L'enfer-- Not Foustie, but yes E de P, that is FM, did immediately acknowledge my order and shipped it out right away too. With tracking number. I also liked that it was free shipping from E de P. It will be here on Friday the 14th, and I ordered on 12/06 !

I also had wondered why Cologne Bigarade is not included in the Collection 2012. Not sure, but my thought was that since it does include Bigarade Concentree, maybe these are almost the same thing?

I have been so lusting after this... but it makes NO SENSE for me, as I have five bottles already. (Une Rose, Iris Poudre, En Passant, Bois d'orage, Carnal Flower.) Obviously I'm a huge fan of the line...

Actually, our local Saks (Houston) put on their website and emailed me that they'd have the coffrets in store on a particular day -- this was several weeks ago. So a girlfriend and I made a special trip there -- but, no coffrets! Sales staff was very lackadaisical about it... "oh, the what? oh, they didn't arrive..." (we know them, so we gave them a scolding, but they didn't seem too concerned.)

I'm surprised that I've managed to infect several innocent bystanders/friends, with the perfume-bug, in at least a limited way. My friend mentioned above now has two Malles, and a le Labo, one Nez a nez, one Serge Lutens -- this, after wearing only one perfume for the last 30 yrs. And, one acquaintance, for his wife's anniversary, took his wife and their three daughters to the Malle counter, they sniffed and he bought his wife one on the spot. And their 13 yr old fell in love with Carnal Flower and is getting it for Christmas. (You're welcome, Frederic.)

Malle -- the man -- is making an appearance at Saks here on the 14th, I imagine they'll manage to get the coffretts in stock by then! (I do intend to continue to resist ordering or buying the coffrett. Wish me luck.)

Quote Originally Posted by afreespirit View Post
    Hi L'enfer-- Not Foustie, but yes E de P, that is FM, did immediately acknowledge my order and shipped it out right away too. With tracking number. I also liked that it was free shipping from E de P. It will be here on Friday the 14th, and I ordered on 12/06 !

I also had wondered why Cologne Bigarade is not included in the Collection 2012. Not sure, but my thought was that since it does include Bigarade Concentree, maybe these are almost the same thing?
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I also got an email straight away but was hoping it would be shipped today but I ordered on Friday evening I suppose that was unrealistic. I hope you enjoy your's when it arrives thanks again for replying.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my I just received an email from FM with the tracking number.
    What I've Been Wearing:

You are welcome L'enfer and I hope you enjoy your coffret as well! Somehow I don't think we will be disappointed...(^_^)

And I was pleased to see that FM lived up to the level of service I would expect from them.

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    Foustie did FM email you when your coffrets was dispatched? I'm incredibly impatient I can't wait, even though my other half owns a fair bit of FM having my own samples well...

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic:

Does anyone have any idea why Cologne Bigarade was excluded from the complete collection set?
    Sorry! I didn't see this till now. Anyway, I see that you have your email. Hurrah! You are going to love it.

Coffret arrived today I'm very impressed. Wearing L'eau d'Hiver, nice possible buy? Maybe...
    What I've Been Wearing:

Can you tell me please, are those sprays or splashes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dudette View Post
    Can you tell me please, are those sprays or splashes?
    Sprays and very good sprays at that the bottles are also quite big.
    What I've Been Wearing:

For those that have the coffret, did you get postcards with it? The description says it comes with artistic postcards but I did not get any with my shipment which came today. I have sent an email to FM asking for the cards.