Code of Conduct

Default New fragrance to launch in November: Arquiste Boutonniere No. 7

Any mention of dandified scents and my interest is piqued. This is a new offering from the new niche house Arquiste. (Their Aleksandr, named for the Romantic Russian dandy poet Pushkin, whose life came to end in a duel, is a wonderful leather with neroli/violet and fir.)

The poetic ad copy reads: "During the Opera’s intermission, a group of seven young men gather at the Grand Foyer in search of new flirtations. Women of all sorts are lured in by the crisp, green scent of the men’s gardenia boutonnieres, enlivened with the bergamot and lavender colognes they wear. As they draw closer, the “Opera Flower” exudes its elegant masculinity, the last breath of a bloom sacrificed on a black-tie lapel."

This men's floral is centred around gardenia, the traditional evening flower in men's buttonholes.

Notes (from The Scented Salamander): Lavender, Bergamot, Italian Mandarin, Gardenia jasminoides/Gardenia citriodora duo, Genet absolute, Vetiver, Oak Moss.

More on wearing a real boutonniere, one of the lost manly arts: http://artofmanliness.com/2010/07/09...re-buttonhole/

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...no_7_2012.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st October 2012 at 08:31 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: New fragrance to launce in November: Arquiste Boutonniere No. 7

Thanks for the links.

Dependent

Default Re: New fragrance to launce in November: Arquiste Boutonniere No. 7

thanks! cant wait
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Default Re: New fragrance to launch in November: Arquiste Boutonniere No. 7

I enjoy it when a single notes stands out, such as gardenia here. Richard James EDT had tuberose as its main floral note. Rose d'Homme, of course, had rose.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love this house. A Gardenia for men really has got my attention. Can't wait to sample.

A gardenia for men has me very interested, too. Although I don't personally care for that name too much...

Dependent

Nice. I actually like the name. Gardenia is usually pretty feminine. But I can imagine a drier citric treatment. Thanks Primmy

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Nice. I actually like the name. Gardenia is usually pretty feminine. But I can imagine a drier citric treatment. Thanks Primmy
    Almost all men's fragrances are floral in some way. Even lavender is a little purple flower and it is found in most "manly" fougeres. It depends on what you are comfortable with.

I agree that one has to look on the overall treatment of the gardenia note. The deeper notes are vetiver and oakmoss. I don't think this will come off as a white floral at all.

This I must try for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

The deluxe version comes with a stickpin in the shape of a gardenia and a set of silk knots!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Interesting to note:

Apparently, there is some confusion about the note listed as "genet" in this. The Fragrantica website has a picture of a civet cat for this note, and indeed, a genet is one species of civet. My guess, however, is that "genet" represents the French genęt, which means the broom plant. This note is, like lavender, as herbal as it is floral, and could really contribute a bit of more masculine flavor to the fragrance
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Great news and wow nice to see you posting JaimeB.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    [My guess, however, is that "genet" represents the French genęt, which means the broom plant. This note is, like lavender, as herbal as it is floral, and could really contribute a bit of more masculine flavor to the fragrance[/SIZE][/FONT].
    Good to see you Jaime. Your posts and reviews are excellent. Also, I agree this is surely meant to mean broom. I love green weedy accords like that and it's a big reason I'm looking forward to this release.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Interesting to note:

Apparently, there is some confusion about the note listed as "genet" in this. The Fragrantica website has a picture of a civet cat for this note, and indeed, a genet is one species of civet. My guess, however, is that "genet" represents the French genęt, which means the broom plant. This note is, like lavender, as herbal as it is floral, and could really contribute a bit of more masculine flavor to the fragrance
    Nice to see you, JaimeB, and have your erudite post!

Has anyone tried this scent yet? I want that stickpin!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ...Has anyone tried this scent yet? I want that stickpin!
    Me too!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

The blog Bois de Jasmin gave it a review: http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/11/arqu...me-review.html

The price for the bottle, with the stickpin, is slightly higher ($195)

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Did any one else order a sample from my link above to surrendertochance? Yesterday I received a shipped and tracking link for my order. Now this morning I'm receiving a refund to my Paypal account. I see they removed the product from their website now.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Did any one else order a sample from my link above to surrendertochance? Yesterday I received a shipped and tracking link for my order. Now this morning I'm receiving a refund to my Paypal account. I see they removed the product from their website now.
    That makes me wonder if it was dropped when they started decanting it after preparing the shipping labels.

Jaime,

I tend to agree with you on this well-educated guess. Personally, I love broom as a note - very classic in fine perfumery. I grew up in a city that had broom of various varieties growing semi-wild in vacant lots, gardens and hillsides. There's a reason that bees clustered so thickly around those shrubs, dive-bombing into the flowers. They knew heaven when they smelled it!

Basenotes Institution

I got an email from Arquiste today, when I inquired about samples thru email last week...

From: t.tsamados@arquiste.com [mailto:t.tsamados@arquiste.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:39 AM
    To: Mike Perez
    Subject: RE: FW: Boutonneire ?

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your email and our apologies for the late reply!

Boutonniere No. 7 will be available in stores in about two weeks. The numbered launch edition set, which is accompanied by a stickpin and cufflinks created by M. de PHOCAS, is now available for pre-order on www.arquiste.com. You can now access the scent's details and immerse yourself in the story behind it.

Samples will be available through our stockists' locations (including Barneys Las Vegas) once they receive the new fragrance.

Let us know how if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Theodore Tsamados

ARQUISTE Parfumeur
    247 Centre Street, 2nd Floor
    New York, New York 10013

M: +1.646.578.6625
    t.tsamados@arquiste.com
    www.arquiste.com

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I got an email from Arquiste today, when I inquired about samples thru email last week...
    Just received e-mail from Aedes announcing Boutonničre No. 7

http://www.aedes.com/Boutonnire-No-7_p_1455.html

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Received my sample from StC last week. I must say Arquiste Boutonniere No.7 is a lovely fragrance especially when worn lightly. I don't have much experience with gardenias but this feels very natural to my nose. The name is indeed fitting. The best part for me comes after 2 hours when the rich white floral accord simmers down to reveal the greener and arguably more elegant facets. I have blown my fragrance budget to shreds this year but darn it, this is worth a decant at least...esp. if you enjoy clean & green florals.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 7th December 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Basenotes Institution

(((impatiently waiting for sample to arrive at Barneys)))

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

This house produces some extraordinarily enchanting back stories for its fragrances.

Boutonniere No. 7 sounds very intriguing. Gardenia has always been a favorite flower and scent. Are there any further observations for this new Arquiste?

I own Anima Dulcis and I love the cocoa dry down which lasts incredibly long. Its transition from baroque floral composition to a vanilla and pastry scent to a cocoa drink mixed with water...well, my interpretation - matches in my imagination Arquiste's story line for Anima Dulcis. If Boutonniere No. 7 has a similar progression I would be tempted to splurge for the limited edition.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

A beautiful and addictive fragrance. I can't stop wearing it!

Regards,
    Steve

Any more discussion on this scent? I understand the gardenia is nice but other nice predominate.

Basenotes Institution

I finally got my sample from Barney's (Raul from Barney's Vegas is such a sweetie).

I like it, but I don't love it. It's initial vivid floral crispness is very debonair and 'dandy'-ish, true to the marketing copy, but I realized today what other scent does this exact same thing, at about 1/3 of the price: Richard James. At the same time I realized I sold my bottle of RJ many years ago because I liked it but it sort of bored me. Those nicely-behaved, conservative, masculine florals (Windsor, Richard James, Insense) they just get me yawning. I really enjoy the florals like gardenia, jasmine & orange blossom when they're supercharged, dirty, indolic, etc.

After a whole day of wearing the Arquiste at the office, I went to the gym to do cardio (for lunch) and when I took a shower I spritzed on a tiny amount of A La Nuit by Serge Lutens (from my dwindling decant) and gosh that stuff just blows the Arquiste away.

However, if you're the kind of guy that likes his florals subdued, well behaved and at a low volume, I could see how this fragrance might appeal to you. Still, before you spring for a bottle of this one, sample Richard James. Trust!

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Mike for your review, I was planning in getting a bottle but I have Richard James bottle as well. I'm just gonna save the money for something else. Moving on...

Mike, great review.

I also adore A La Nuit for its unabashed jasmine. You are correct that Boutonniere is indeed a "polite" men's scent.

Basenotes Institution

You're welcome Primrose, I would love to hear from others that have smelled this.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I smelled this in Italy. I am always skeptical of purported gardenias, but I was pleasantly surprised. This does smell more or less like a gardenia, with an emphasis on the green aspect of the flower. It's a clean one, though, with little or no mushroom. But it smells very pleasant nonetheless. It looses itself a bit as it does, and the drydown is a little uninspiring.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Yes, uninspiring drydown - that was what made this forgettable for me.

I am still a big fan of Ford's Velvet Gardenia but a 'lighter' yet realistic version that I am much more drawn to is Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage. I like the Arquiste. But at that price, I really have to love it to buy it.

Honestly, I like the cufflinks more. lol

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle