Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Sample Of The Day: OCTOBER 2012

teardrop - interesting thoughts on Archvies 69, I struggled to decipher this one too. It's wierd, without it smelling particularly wierd. I couldn't tell whether I liked it or not, or whether I'd wear it or not, but I'm still constantly tempted to get a bottle!
    I keep refreshing this page desperate to read your thoughts on all the samples hahaha, I'm too keeeeen!!! :'D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    teardrop - interesting thoughts on Archvies 69, I struggled to decipher this one too. It's wierd, without it smelling particularly wierd. I couldn't tell whether I liked it or not, or whether I'd wear it or not, but I'm still constantly tempted to get a bottle!
    I keep refreshing this page desperate to read your thoughts on all the samples hahaha, I'm too keeeeen!!! :'D
    Freddie, "weird without smelling particularly weird" describes my feeling on this one perfectly, l'm glad it's not just me!

And l'm so pleased you're enjoying my ramblings, bless you for being so keeeeen!!

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Sunday 28th) l tried Tom of Finland by ELd'O.

l get a cacophony of notes in the opening; citrus, woods, amber & a green & metallic vetiver. As it dries down, there's a chlorinated note, & something that reminds me of work, ie. a hospital. lt takes me a while to figure out why, then l get it; the condom-like note that others have noted reads to me like latex medical gloves! After an hour or so, there's a little saffron, & then the sweetness of tonka, making the scent altogether more pleasant. l swear l get a distinctly minty note in the base, & then finally, just as it all fades, a whiff of leather. The projection is low, & it all lasts around four-five hours, as seems usual for me with this line.

l kind of liked this after that first hour, but otherwise this one felt just a little too masculine for me, as well as too "medical". l also can't get past the imagery associated with this fragrance. As Susan Sarandon's character in The Rocky Horror Show said to Frankenfurter; "l don't like a man with too many muscles". He of course replied; "l didn't make him for you!" Well, l guess ELd'O didn't make this one for me, either.
    Last edited by teardrop; 28th October 2012 at 08:32 PM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Yesterday's sample of the day was Tango by Aftelier Perfumes - everyone knows how much I rant and rave about how amazing this line is so I'll link directly to my full review here!
    But, in short - an unusual fragrance of smoke, coffee, champaca and vanillic woods that combine to make something sexy, soft, that teeters on the edge of gourmand. It's fantastic - full of unusual combinations of essences and scents I didn't know existed (choya anyone? - toasted seashells!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Sunday 28th) l tried Tom of Finland by ELd'O.

l get a cacophony of notes in the opening; citrus, woods, amber & a green & metallic vetiver. As it dries down, there's a chlorinated note, & something that reminds me of work, ie. a hospital. lt takes me a while to figure out why, then l get it; the condom-like note that others have noted reads to me like latex medical gloves! After an hour or so, there's a little saffron, & then the sweetness of tonka, making the scent altogether more pleasant. l swear l get a distinctly minty note in the base, & then finally, just as it all fades, a whiff of leather. The projection is low, & it all lasts around four-five hours, as seems usual for me with this line.

l kind of liked this after that first hour, but otherwise this one felt just a little too masculine for me, as well as too "medical". l also can't get past the imagery associated with this fragrance. As Susan Sarandon's character in The Rocky Horror Show said to Frankenfurter; "l don't like a man with too many muscles". He of course replied; "l didn't make him for you!" Well, l guess ELd'O didn't make this one for me, either.
    Freddie, did you see this one? Darn that "update" feature!

Anyway, today l tried Annick Goutal's Sables; freddie's very helpful contribution to helping me understand the immortelle note.

The opening smells to me like dried flowers or straw, lightly spicy, dry, bitter & almost acrid. Then after twenty minutes or so, the penny drops! l totally get the maple syrup note that many reviewers mention, & thankfully none of the curry vibe that also gets talked about a lot. ln the heart, this fragrance almost veers too sweet, but never quite crosses the line, & deep in the drydown l get faint whiffs of tea, pepper & wood. Five hours in it's still there, close to the skin.
    l think the timing for testing this one was perfect, as it strikes me as a nicely comforting autumn scent, warming & drying on a gloomy, damp day. The projection is low, but again, l think it may do better if sprayed rather than dabbed. l also think this one is easily unisex.

Thanks for this freddie, l completely understand now how this note fits into Like This, & l am pleasantly surprised to find that l like it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Freddie, did you see this one? Darn that "update" feature!

Anyway, today l tried Annick Goutal's Sables; freddie's very helpful contribution to helping me understand the immortelle note.

The opening smells to me like dried flowers or straw, lightly spicy, dry, bitter & almost acrid. Then after twenty minutes or so, the penny drops! l totally get the maple syrup note that many reviewers mention, & thankfully none of the curry vibe that also gets talked about a lot. ln the heart, this fragrance almost veers too sweet, but never quite crosses the line, & deep in the drydown l get faint whiffs of tea, pepper & wood. Five hours in it's still there, close to the skin.
    l think the timing for testing this one was perfect, as it strikes me as a nicely comforting autumn scent, warming & drying on a gloomy, damp day. The projection is low, but again, l think it may do better if sprayed rather than dabbed. l also think this one is easily unisex.

Thanks for this freddie, l completely understand now how this note fits into Like This, & l am pleasantly surprised to find that l like it!

No I didn't! Your take on Tom of Finland is fascinating! You get so much more in it than I do - I get a relatively safe synthetic saffron leather with a hint of vinyl - not too interesting, but all around nice enough.
    As for Sables - really glad to read you write about it. Yep pretty much everything you wrote about is the single note immortelle It's hugely potent when sprayed but still light on the skin - it diffusives massive though (I go a bit overboard with the sprayer). The curry comes out quite strong on my skin as opposed to the sweetness, to me, Sables is far more savoury. It's one of those fragrances which reacts so differently on everyone's skin, be sure to find a victim to sample it on and you'll probably be really surprised! Glad you enjoyed it, as you said, it is a great autumn fragrance that keeps you warm!
    Look forward to reading up on Chypre Rouge (one of my favourite Lutens') and Tubereuse 3 to see how you feel about the immortelle note in them
    OH and Secret Garden :P, no immortelle there though.
    Thanks for posting teardrop!

Blog Entries

You're welcome freddie, thanks for your thoughts, this is so much fun!

Time for a new November thread, people!