Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Lush Gorilla perfume oils...

I didn't see a post about this so thought I'd add it. I just stopped into Lush and found a new range of perfume oils. You can find a description here: http://gorillaperfume.wordpress.com/...lushfest-2012/.

I tried Sikkim Girls (as I'll give anything with tuberose a try) and it's quite nice and heady. According to the card I got, it's mainly jasmine, frangipani, vanilla, and tuberose.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Lush Gorilla perfume oils...

Wasn't a huge fan of their perfume oils last time I gave them a visit, but I LOVE their "Therapy" massage bar. I wish they made THAT into a perfume!

Post Thanks / Like

I started a thread on these here but it didn't really take off.
    I was impressed with a couple of them but the prices are a joke IMO

Post Thanks / Like

I rubbed some of my massage bar on my pulse points...I'm disappointed in the results. Yep, Lush, you really need to make this one into a perfume. I would buy it immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I started a thread on these here but it didn't really take off.
    I was impressed with a couple of them but the prices are a joke IMO
    Ah! Sorry, forfreddie - your thread didn't come up in my search!

The prices are pretty high, and I think that that won't help them, especially given the cartoonish marketing and perfume names that refuse to be taken seriously. If they marketed these as "real" perfumes, it might make more sense, but then I haven't smelled them enough to know whether they're good enough for that. I did buy the tiny bottle of Sikkim Girls, as I'm a sucker for tuberose. I do like it...

One thing I did notice, though, is that these NEED to be tried on skin. They all smelled pretty terrible sniffed straight from the bottle, and even on a card, Sikkim Girls didn't develop into anything even remotely resembling what it did on my wrist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Ah! Sorry, forfreddie - your thread didn't come up in my search!

The prices are pretty high, and I think that that won't help them, especially given the cartoonish marketing and perfume names that refuse to be taken seriously. If they marketed these as "real" perfumes, it might make more sense, but then I haven't smelled them enough to know whether they're good enough for that. I did buy the tiny bottle of Sikkim Girls, as I'm a sucker for tuberose. I do like it...

One thing I did notice, though, is that these NEED to be tried on skin. They all smelled pretty terrible sniffed straight from the bottle, and even on a card, Sikkim Girls didn't develop into anything even remotely resembling what it did on my wrist.
    Completely agree with everything you said. They were flat on the bottle, and not so much better on paper.
    The 100ml bottles for 100? It is ridiculous. And I don't like the splash bottles either, much preferred the plain black spray bottles, even though they were cheap looking, they were much more proffesional I think. Ah well - hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a few today, actually surprised they had them in Belfast.

The Bug, started interesting but turned into something like lemon floor polish!!!!!

Hellstone, more interesting. I got sort smothering camp fire from it.

Devil's Nightcap, I quite liked it. But decided not to jump in and wait to see how it developed. then I went to the loo and washed my hands, so no idea. LOL

The smallest size which looks around 5mls is 14.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Devil's Nightcap, I quite liked it. But decided not to jump in and wait to see how it developed. then I went to the loo and washed my hands, so no idea. LOL
    I think you should retry it. Out of the five I tried, DN had the most interesting (and pleasurable) development. I didn't think much of it at first but I really grew to like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I think you should retry it. Out of the five I tried, DN had the most interesting (and pleasurable) development. I didn't think much of it at first but I really grew to like it.
    Can you guys say a bit about how it smells? I didn't get to try that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I only gave Devil's Nightcap a quick sniff - a resinous, herbal ylang if I remember correctly?
    I'm not sure. I quite liked it - but the pushy sales staff put me off by saying "This is the best seller, make sure you try this one"... becuase of that it was the last one I tried :')

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    but the pushy sales staff put me off by saying "This is the best seller, make sure you try this one"... becuase of that it was the last one I tried :')
    You know, I hear that so often at perfume counters that I figure it must work on lots of people. But I'm totally repelled as soon as I hear that a perfume is "the most popular," and I admit that that probably makes me a snob. So be it. The SAs in my local Lush are so lovely and enthusiastic that I can't help but like them. We had a nice chat while I explained what "tuberose" is, and they were genuinely interested and totally ok with the fact that I knew more about perfume than they do. Makes a nice change.

The smallest size which looks around 5mls is 14.
    Personally I don't think that's expensive, when you compare it with other niche lines that are far worse creatively speaking (overpriced BPAL diluted fragrance oils a $30 for 5 ml I'm looking at you!).

I think Lush & Gorilla still do an amazing job at being different, been a fan for years even now, that I can't wear them so well (full of allergens). They do develop really different on skin than clothes. Hope to smell this new line too, but their availability is still not clear (logistics and planning are not Lush's best features LOL).
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & network on all things smelly
    www.somethingsmelly.nl

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Post Thanks / Like

Irina, do you remember when Lush where Cosmetics To Go?

I adored their products, and they did some gorgeous fragrances in oil and spray.

That is where Ginger and Karma started way back. In fact I still have some of the fragrances Trinity which is chocolate, Elemental and a herbal one which I cannot remember the name of. Oh and they had a perfume oil in a clay like bottle called Purfum(had a black cat on it), soft powdery but lasted forever on the skin.
    DONNA

Irina, do you remember when Lush where Cosmetics To Go?

I adored their products, and they did some gorgeous fragrances in oil and spray.

That is where Ginger and Karma started way back. In fact I still have some of the fragrances Trinity which is chocolate, Elemental and a herbal one which I cannot remember the name of. Oh and they had a perfume oil in a clay like bottle called Purfum(had a black cat on it), soft powdery but lasted forever on the skin.
    Oh gawd yes, I've seen all the catalogues, but didn't try any of the old scents besides 29 1/2 I didn't know about Lush not CtG till 2004, when their first shop came to Amsterdam. They have changed so much though, not always in a good way (quality control!). Gorilla is a fine experiment though, just wonder how long it will last or will it suffer the same fate as the Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful. Pia, a recent addition to Lush's perfumer's team, used to post here on BN, but I believe she is too busy to post, we lost touch.
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & network on all things smelly
    www.somethingsmelly.nl

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I owned 29 1/2 too.

At least the new Gorilla fragrances are available in most stores. The trouble with the Never B was it was only London stores. I really like to see colours in real life.
    DONNA