Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,398
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Where do all the samples come from?

    I am a newbie on Basnotes and was wondering where people where getting all their samples from? I have seen samples on eBay, but the prices were ourageous and I was not %100 sure they were not fakes.

  2. #2
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,778

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    It sort of depends what you are looking for. I know BeautyEncounter has a lot of samples (though I've never ordered from them), as does ScentedMonkey, FragranceNet (again, depending on what you are looking for), and of course, The Perfumed Court has smaller decants.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,398
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    It sort of depends what you are looking for. I know BeautyEncounter has a lot of samples (though I've never ordered from them), as does ScentedMonkey, FragranceNet (again, depending on what you are looking for), and of course, The Perfumed Court has smaller decants.
    So you buy your samples from websites?

  4. #4
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,778

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    So you buy your samples from websites?
    Yep, I don't live near any major stores (outside of Macy's), so that's what I do. It can get a little expensive, but you can get several wears out of each one.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,398
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    So you buy your samples from websites?
    Thank you for the help!

  6. #6
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Surrender to Chance and The perfumed court are the two I use. Most samples on EBAY are NOT fake, not enough profit in faking a sample. It is much better to pay several dollars for a sample then $200 for a bottle and find out you don't like it. You will quickly find that despite the fact that the actual cologne/perfume only costs the manufacturer about $2 per bottle to make, no one likes giving away samples anymore...The BIGGEST ripoff in this hobby in my opinion. If I may buy a $200 bottle of your perfume, and all you are willing to do is spray a bit on a piece of paper for me???
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  7. #7

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Surrender to Chance is awesome. I've ordered almost a hundred from them and they've all been real.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,398
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Surrender to Chance and The perfumed court are the two I use. Most samples on EBAY are NOT fake, not enough profit in faking a sample. It is much better to pay several dollars for a sample then $200 for a bottle and find out you don't like it. You will quickly find that despite the fact that the actual cologne/perfume only costs the manufacturer about $2 per bottle to make, no one likes giving away samples anymore...The BIGGEST ripoff in this hobby in my opinion. If I may buy a $200 bottle of your perfume, and all you are willing to do is spray a bit on a piece of paper for me???
    That does seem cheap of the frag dealer!
    Last edited by southerngardens; 2nd October 2012 at 01:51 AM.

  9. #9
    Super Member Scent-imental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    261
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    I get most of mine from Nordstrom and Sephora, but it took me quite some time to build a good relationship with them. They were extremely reticent about handing out samples to me at first, but i saw a thread on the forum, and got some tips from that. Ie, i now have agenuine conversation with them about fragrance, what I have, what I like (notewise), and showed them that I was serious about fragrance. When i tested the samples, i went back and bought full bottle(s), so now, they know me, treat me like a valued customer, and give me handfuls of samples when i go in. I am now on hugging terms with the manageresss of the fragrance department in my local Nordstrom, but i had to work hard to cultivate that relationship, and spend some money. It was worthwhile though. I got new bottles, plenty of samples, and a new friend, who doesn't mind me rambling on about vetiver, or opoponax.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,398
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    I get most of mine from Nordstrom and Sephora, but it took me quite some time to build a good relationship with them. They were extremely reticent about handing out samples to me at first, but i saw a thread on the forum, and got some tips from that. Ie, i now have agenuine conversation with them about fragrance, what I have, what I like (notewise), and showed them that I was serious about fragrance. When i tested the samples, i went back and bought full bottle(s), so now, they know me, treat me like a valued customer, and give me handfuls of samples when i go in. I am now on hugging terms with the manageresss of the fragrance department in my local Nordstrom, but i had to work hard to cultivate that relationship, and spend some money. It was worthwhile though. I got new bottles, plenty of samples, and a new friend, who doesn't mind me rambling on about vetiver, or opoponax.
    I see what you mean. Thanks!

  11. #11
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    I get most of mine from Nordstrom and Sephora, but it took me quite some time to build a good relationship with them. They were extremely reticent about handing out samples to me at first, but i saw a thread on the forum, and got some tips from that. Ie, i now have a genuine conversation with them about fragrance, what I have, what I like (notewise), and showed them that I was serious about fragrance. When i tested the samples, i went back and bought full bottle(s), so now, they know me, treat me like a valued customer, and give me handfuls of samples when i go in. I am now on hugging terms with the manageresss of the fragrance department in my local Nordstrom, but i had to work hard to cultivate that relationship, and spend some money. It was worthwhile though. I got new bottles, plenty of samples, and a new friend, who doesn't mind me rambling on about vetiver, or opoponax.
    Here in Central Pennsylvania, the dept. stores usually have one sample or maybe two. I have had long conversations with the sales people as well, and they know I am knowledgeable-not just begging for freebies. They have said the distributors will not give them samples...or only rarely. Whey I first started in this hobby in 1983, I would walk out of Saks, Macy's etc. with 4 or 5 samples every time. I tried, tested longevity and likability, and BOUGHT their juice. Now I am handed a piece of paper spritzed with a scent, and expected to imagine how my body chemistry will interact. Screw them. I pay for niche samples, and buy dept. store frags online. the brick and mortar store doesn't need my custom.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 2nd October 2012 at 10:08 AM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  12. #12
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,400
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    You can also buy decanted samples online (0.7ml in a 1 ml glass vial) from Aedes de Venustas, Luckyscent, The Perfume Shoppe.

    Carded official samples of some can be bought from fragrancevials.com

    Bond No. 9 sells samples too, see their website.

    Some sell sets of samples, like Ineke, Les Parfums de Rosine, Ormonde Jayne etc.

    Hermes and some other companies will send samples free if you request them through their websites. Be specific about what you wish to test.


  13. #13

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    I don't buy samples online (though I don't see anything wrong with that) other than from certain perfumers websites that offer decent programs (examples include Etat Libre d'Orange, Ormonde Jayne, and a few others).

    Also, there are often exchanges btw BNers. You have few posts, but after a while things start happening you may develop relationships. Also, as your collection expands, you will have stuff to exchange as well.

    In any case, as others have pointed out, it takes time. And I would not underestimate those paper strips. Most of the stuff I smelled started there. Just enter stores and spray on paper strips. The scent will actually keep well for a few days. Bring a pencil to write the name of the frag on the paper strip.

    cacio

  14. #14
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,675

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Any samples I receive, I receive at no extra cost with a purchase of bottles from retailers.

  15. #15
    Super Member Scent-imental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    261
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Here in Central Pennsylvania, the dept. stores usually have one sample or maybe two. I have had long conversations with the sales people as well, and they know I am knowlegable. They have said the distributors will not give them samples...or only rarely. Whey I first started in this hobby in 1983, I would walk out of Saks, Macy's etc. with 4 or 5 samples every time. I tried, tested longevity and likability, and BOUGHT their juice. Now I am handed a piece of paper spritzed with a scent, and expected to imagine how my body chemistry will interact. Screw them. I pay for niche samples, and buy dept. store frags online. the brick and mortar store doesn't need my custom.
    I can see why you'd buy yours online, after the experiences you are having. We don't have a huge range of stuff up here, so i have bought from Ebay, the stuff they don't have here, but i have seen drawer fulls of carded samples from the manufacturers, and then they have the little sample bottles, they spray juice into.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    I'll usually toss a few samples into my cart anytime I'm buying fragrances online. After applying the coupon code, most of my samples end up costing $2.50- (even Creed samples cost me less than $3 or $4)

  17. #17
    Super Member Scent-imental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    261
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    On saturday in Nordstrom, they had an "event" and you received goodies, aka gifts with purchases. I did not go, but went in today, sought out my new SA manageress friend, who just happened to have "a leftover gift out the back" so i came away with my FB, 4 carded samples, 2 perfume miniatures, a shower gel, 2 cosmetic bags, and a 5 ml atomiser, filled with your choice of fragrance (i chose TF Violet Blonde)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    You can get samples straight from the house as well, they'll either send a set or 4-5 of your choice. I got some from Heeley, Etat Libre d' Orange, Parfum d' Empire, Histoires des Parfums and Francis Kurkdjian, most of them were nice glass sprays for very decent prices. The Perfumed court is great for hard to find or vintage perfumes, otherwise a bit overpriced

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lavras
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    When i buy I ask for samples and I buy them either.

  20. #20
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I am a newbie on Basnotes and was wondering where people where getting all their samples from? I have seen samples on eBay, but the prices were ourageous and I was not %100 sure they were not fakes.
    Another thing Southergardens, When you purchase one carded sample from EBAY, the shipping, cost WILL kill you. I generally Search for "SAMPLE LOT" withing the catagory Male and Unisex fragrances. The results are worth getting. I just purchased a lot of 25 samples from well known niche fragrances houses for about $25 including shipping...It seems like alot but it is only $1/sample which is a good deal. It seems like England shoppes are more generous in giving away samples...Probably b/c in America you have people who beg for free stuff at every perfume counter. Once I was browsing at a Large Dept. store, and the sales lady gave me a sample of YSL L'Homme after we talked for awhile about that fragrance. While we were talking, a guy walked up to the counter, and said "You got any samples?" He hadn't even been browsing...She said no, and stole a glance at me. LOL
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    southerngardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Evans, Georgia
    Posts
    1,398
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    You can also buy decanted samples online (0.7ml in a 1 ml glass vial) from Aedes de Venustas, Luckyscent, The Perfume Shoppe.

    Carded official samples of some can be bought from fragrancevials.com

    Bond No. 9 sells samples too, see their website.

    Some sell sets of samples, like Ineke, Les Parfums de Rosine, Ormonde Jayne etc.

    Hermes and some other companies will send samples free if you request them through their websites. Be specific about what you wish to test.
    Thanks Roses!

  22. #22
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,886
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    +1 for Surrender to Chance & especially Luckyscent. Luckyscent will give you three free samples of your choice with every full bottle purchase, too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  23. #23
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    killeen texas
    Posts
    1,143

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    lucky scent
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

  24. #24
    Basenotes Junkie Teach13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    696

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    I've done many of the ones listed here, but I'll also give a shout-out to BN bro Bigsly. He's hooked me up a couple times. Has a lot to choose from...many are vintage that are hard to find...all are at great prices. Don't know if it's cool to plug a fellow Basenoter or not.....if not, sorry......but Bigsly's a good guy.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

    "When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

  25. #25
    Basenotes Member Tha_Doggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Maybe I'm missing something when people say perfumedcourt is overpriced and are referencing surrender to chance but to me their prices are pretty much the same for the samples I was looking at.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    From Heaven.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

  27. #27
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Doggg View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something when people say perfumedcourt is overpriced and are referencing surrender to chance but to me their prices are pretty much the same for the samples I was looking at.
    They are identical twins. The ladies had a falling out, split the company, and basically sell the same stuff. Prices are nearly identical, both give samples in cute little bags with a candy.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  28. #28
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    I didn't see it mentioned, but if you happen to have a Sephora near you, they will make samples from the testers of anything they have. Last Saturday they made me a sample of Gucci Pour Homme II (Fantastic!) and i chatted with the SA about atomizers (that mine no longer sells) and she went and got me a few of the empty sample atomizers and funnels!

  29. #29

    Default Re: Where do all the samples come from?

    Sometimes I will email companies/businesses asking for samples...I've offered to pay or pay for shipping and they're happy to send them to me. I was able to get 5 samples from a niche perfumer for $12 with shipping and since each bottle is pricey, I figure it's a little expense before committing to a full bottle. Other than what people above suggested, I also buy some samples from FragranceNet.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 1st July 2012, 02:04 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23rd June 2012, 10:55 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21st March 2012, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •