Code of Conduct

Question Could anyone give me some tips on learning how to identify individual notes?

So this is my first post on Basenotes and just want to say thanks in advance for any advice given.
    So I'm pretty new in the whole fragrance game although I had one or two scents I wore for a few years, within the past year I got more into building a collection. So that being said my nose isn't so great especially when it comes to picking out individual notes. I've been reading tons of descriptions for some notes but it's still difficult for me to pick them out in fragrances I own. So does anyone have any tips on picking on individual notes or I guess, on how to learn the scents of different notes? Thanks again!

Default Re: Could anyone give me some tips on learning how to identify individual notes?

Hi & welcome, ddmonkey15!

We'll move your post to our 'Just Starting Out' section as it will be more visible to other members there.

A good way to learn to recognise some notes is to familiarise yourself with various Essential Oils & aromachems.

The Perfumers Apprentice site has starter kits, but do bear in mind that a lot of the advertised 'notes' and 'accords' are marketing blurb and not grounded in reality.
    Last edited by lpp; 29th December 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Default Re: Could anyone give me some tips on learning how to identify individual notes?

Thank you, sorry about that, new to basenotes and forums in general. So you're saying that when you read a list of notes on Basenotes or Fragrantica sometimes those notes aren't necessarily in the fragrance? Or are they just not recognizable

Well, most often they are & sometimes it's just something made up to look cool - like 'belladonna' or stuff - just trying to create a mood or something!
    Or a note or accord might be made up of a variety of things that we may perceive differently from intended - like I might not be able to actually detect some chemicals that you can so it's helpful to know, for example, that you have trouble smelling some things or other people's reviews may be confusing!
    Last edited by lpp; 29th December 2013 at 11:24 PM.

I concur with Ipp, notes are often fantasy. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not. Besides, in most cases, it's not so much about single notes, per se, but about accords. What one perceives is a certain perfume style or structure. that's why the first thing one gets from a perfume is the style, say, aromatic fougere, chypre, aquatic, gourmand, etc, none of which corresponds to a unique note.

In any case, to learn what a note, or an accord, smells like, there's no substitute to smelling the thing alone and memorizing it, which is what perfume students do.

cacio

Anyone know of any sites where I can buy individual note samples? I looked into the site Ipp mentioned but wasn't planning on spending 95$. So are there other sites that sell stuff like that? Like educational kits.
    Thanks again guys

Not relevant to purchases but this may be helpful:
    http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...-profile-more/

Banned
    Blog Entries

The more you sample the more you know..
    I believe it is more imperative to find out what type of scent you like..

Aqua-Oud-Gourmand and so on and not each individual note

I definitely know what kinds of scents I like, I mean I haven't smelt every type of scent, but love gourmands and some fresher aquatic scents. Just kind of interested in what individual notes smell like.

And thanks yet again for the advice

For me, it has been really helpful to smell a handful of fragrances with a common featured note. For example, if you're interested in vetiver, you can easily (by reading here or elsewhere) collect the names of a few prominent vetiver perfumes to sample: Sycomore, Encre Noir, Guerlain, Dior, Grey Vetiver, etc. I've always found it helpful to smell a common note in different contexts, and then also to try finding the note in perfumes where it's less front and center: Calandre, TBS White Musk for Men, Futur, etc.

It takes time, but those moments when you pick out a note without knowing it was there are priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

In any case, to learn what a note, or an accord, smells like, there's no substitute to smelling the thing alone and memorizing it, which is what perfume students do.

cacio
    This.

(2319)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

If you go to places like wholefoods or similar natural stores, they usually have essential oils out. You don't have to buy them, but you can smell them. This will give you an idea on the main natural materials.

If you live in NYC, the (expensive) Le Labo store in Elizabeth st has a big perfumer kit, which includes the serious stuff that's used in perfumes but usually is not found in regular essential oils. Way overpriced, but you can smell things in the store.

cacio

check the sticky thread in this just starting out section called the resource archive for self education about fragrance and I'm pretty sure there are some links in there that will help you out...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Ok, thanks again to everyone. I'll most likely order some sort of kit so I can smell the individual notes but in the meantime I'll go through all my samples and try to find some stuff that has notes in common. Also I live on Long Island so going to the city is a hour or so journey, but I'll definitely look into the Le Babo store.

Le Labo*

Good luck & don't forget to check out this thread!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...BOUT-Fragrance

Blog Entries

There's a store that mixes bath products called Bath Junkie ​if you ever see one (you could google to find one) they have all the natural oils there to smell. It's great!