Code of Conduct

Default Timbuktu your impressions, longevity and sillage, other choices

I have only tried Timbuktu from L'Artisan offerings and I would like to hear your impressions.
    Also does it do well in terms of sillage, longevity. Does it smell good to others around you?

Lastly, what are your top three choices from L'Artisan house?
    Last edited by zlatnirez; 7th December 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: grammar

Default Re: Timbuktu your impressions, longevity and silage, other choices

I own and love Timbuktu. For me, It has fine sillage, longevity and doesn't seem to be offensive to others.

My three favorite L'Artisans are probably:

Vetiver
    L'Eau Du Caporal
    Tea for Two

The truth is that there are so many from this house I love!
    (1273)
    Last edited by hednic; 7th December 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you hednic! I see Timbuktu is not in your top three. I'll have to get my nose on some of them. Tea for two sounds like something I might like.
    (I hope its nothing like Comme de Garcons series 1 - Leaves: Tea. Didn't like that one)

Overcome By Fumes

I like Timbuktu as well. Good in the qualities in which you are concerned. One friend found it unpleasant but her taste is suspect . Top three? Arbitrary, as could be different an hour from now, but let's say L'Eau des Merveilleuses, Dzing!, and L'Eau du Navigateur. Good luck finding any of hednic's selections, or mine, other than Dzing!, as they are discontinued.

Thank you for your impression and advice docluv45.
    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Good luck finding any of hednic's selections, or mine, other than Dzing!, as they are discontinued.
    The story of my life, LOL :
    Me: "Hey, I want that."
    "Sorry Sir, if only you were here a minute ago. We sold the last one and it was on sale too."
    Me: "Argh."

I actually bought a bottle of Timbuktu but wound up selling it. I thought it was a bit too feminine for my liking.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Banned

too soapy.
    did not like it at all.
    if you liek these types of scents, try Comme de Garcons 2
    Much better fragrance in my opinion

I only sampled Dzongka and Timbuktu though I like bought I ended up buying the first one.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    too soapy.
    did not like it at all.
    This was exactly my experience with Timbuktu. Soapy and abrasive.

My top three favorite L'Artisan fragrances are Safran Troublant, Bois Farine, and Nuit de Tubereuse. I like a lot of fragrances from this house.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

THANK you very much everybody. I know it's not enough people to make a conclusion but there is slightly more negative comments than positive ones. Which is perfectly fine, keep 'em coming whatever they are.

Another question - is Tea for Two a safe blind buy?

Banned

Tea for two is definitely not a safe buy. It can be cloying at times. its a strong scent. I first liked it a lot but then it started annoying me.

Tea for Two smells very much like a tobacco pipe. If you like the idea of that, then it's a great option. But like Attila said, it's probably not a safe blind buy.

I didn't like Timbuktu until my 3rd or 4th time wearing it. I bought samples of it on 3 different occasions. Every time I wore it I didn't like it--I thought it smelled like sour b.o., or I thought it smelled too flowery and soapy...once I just thought it smelled like cardboard. But I kept going back to it. Finally, it all clicked and now, I love it. This is one of the only fragrances where this has happened. Usually, if I like it, I like it, if I don't, I don't.

Sillage and projection and longevity are excellent, in my opinion. Better than 90% of L'Artisans in terms of that.

My 3 favorite L'Artisans are:

Timbuktu
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Dzing!

(in that order)

Other ones I think worth sampling are Dzongkha, Bois Farine, and Mechant Loup.

There are also many that I have never tried.

Good luck!

Sooo many to choose from. IMO, top 3 are Tea for Two, Dzing!, and hmmm, one of Fou D'Absinthe, Saffron Troublant, and Dzongha. Tough call on that last one.

as for Timbuktu, I liked the idea, but have also found it too soapy.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

1-Seville a l'Aube
    2-Safran Troublant
    3-L'Artisan Figuier

Default Re: Timbuktu your impressions, longevity and sillage, other choices

Muchas gracias, muchachos!

performance of timbuktu is great. as for the scent itself, it's good - nothing more.

its something i enjoy but not something i would buy if my decant ever runs out

I went to a local perfumer the other day to sample L'Artisans and Diptyques. They had 20 L'Artisans in a case. Can't remember all the names, but they brought me papers and let me try them all. I fell in love with and bought (U=unisex, M=male, F=female):

Dzongkha - U
    Fou D'Absinthe - M
    La Chasse au Papillons - F
    Timbuktu - U

All of them took my breath away, especially Dzongkha. This experience made me stop looking at male/female/unisex labels, sniff and buy what my nose adores.

If you are a fan of Vanilla fragrances, Vanille Absolument is a good one. Not loud and very smooth.

You are spot on Timbuktu, one of a kind scent, a must have for every fragrance lover.
    I just adore this scent: uniquness, freshness, greeness, sillage and longevity.

The other two L'Artisan I would recommend:
    Tea for two
    Fou D'Absinthe

Masterpiece and a staple in my wardrobe.

for swap/sale:

THANK YOU everybody.
    I have finally found a bottle for myself (thanks to a female member here).
    This is all I want in a perfume - that feeling of complete certainty - "this is it". Sillage and longevity perfect on my skin but I have to warn other members to try it on their own because on my brother this perfume is close to the skin and does not project. But hey, on me it's great so who cares

It's a superbly constructed vetiver scent in my opinion, only that karo-karoundé note is nauseating which forced me to sell my small bottle.

The incense smoke combined with vetiver in this one are amazingly blended. I really wanted to like this one.

I love Timbuktu.

It's a really dry scent with lots of incense, smoke. vetiver and some woods. It's incredibly unique with above average longevity and sillage.

I own Timbuktu, and find it to be OK, but just OK..
    La Chasse au Papillons on the other hand is amazing