Code of Conduct

Default Could a young man wear Rive Gauche?

Didn't want to clog up Male Frag Discussion with this post, but after reading the 'Grandfatherly Fragrances' thread, I see that YSL Rive Gauche PH has had a fair few mentions as a fragrance that's suitable for an older gent. Question is, would it be suitable for a young adult (I'm 21, by the way), or is strictly for gentlemen?

Default Re: Could a young man wear Rive Gauche?

IMO Yes.

Why not?? It's a GREAT scent!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would never classify Rive Gauche as an "old man" scent. I think it would be fine for anyone, at any age.

Post Thanks / Like

Why can't a Young Adult also be a Gentleman? I love to wear RG at 33, and wish I'd worn it when I was younger too. Fantastic scent.

Rive Gauche isn't an old man scent. It's a fresh-man. And a clean-man. At the very least, a sharp-man!

I'm 23 and I wear it to the hospital (doctor) on conference days. Clean shaven, crisp labcoat or blazer. Although it works quite well with a sharply-trimmed beard. And amazing in cool weather. Rive Gauche leans on the smarter, dressier, conservative side of fragrance, in my opinion. And it won't break the bank (~$35/125ml on amazon)

Go for it.
    Last edited by uhbhatti88; 3rd October 2012 at 05:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yes of course they can

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is perhaps a little dated. Just my opinion. It has that classic barbershop scent which is associated with fragrances of 'yester years.' However, it is a very clean, safe scent that can be worn to work, after work, just about whenever you would like to. Any young guy can pull this one off.

As long as your old enough to shave then Rive Gauche can be worn.

Post Thanks / Like

You can wear it. It's a clean masculine elegant scent that can be worn by young and old adults imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I lol'ed
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go against the grain, but I would not recommend it for a younger person. Not meaning to offend anyone, but when I first ordered a sample a couple of years ago based on hype, my immediate impression was "old man". To me, it reminds me of something my grandfather would've worn and I just don't care for it. (and I'm no spring chicken, I'm 42 and won't touch it). But then again, I hated fragrances when I was a teenager in the 80s because of that "powerhouse" type smell of that era, and I still can't stand those types of scents today. I know my tastes tend to be more like a 20 year old than a 40 year old, but that's ok with me. Anyway, at least be wary of all the hype and sample first with Rive Gauche. It does smell dated, and if you don't like older 70s/80s type scents, you may not like it. Also, as far as compliments, I just can't imagine younger women (teens/20s/even 30s), liking it.

As I say, I'm not knocking anyone who loves it. That's awesome, but there's just no way I would wear it.

I really think it all depends on how it works on your skin & with your personality. I think any frag can "work" for anyone...it just all depends on if it "fits" for them. Heck, I wore frags like Drakkar Noir, Obsession & Eternity as a young teen & didn't think anything of it. Personally, I love Rive Gauche. That being said, I'm 35 & my wife is 33. I accidentally sprayed too much (4 sprays I think) Rive Gauche on the other day shortly before she came home. When she came in, she said the house reeked of strong, old man cologne smell & she didn't like it at all. She said I would be "that cologne guy" if I went anywhere smelling like that.

So, yes, I do think that it has the potential to come off as a more mature smell, especially if applied a little too heavily & realistically, I'm not sure how many 20 something year old women would find it appealing on a 20 something man. Then again, I'm neither....

One caveat, however, is that the top & mid notes too me are the ones that smell the strongest of this. By an hour in, Rive Gauche has an absolutely wonderful, masculine, creamy, light, almost somewhat musky barber-shop soap drydown that lasts and lasts. You just feel manly, fresh & clean with it for hours. My advice would be to test it on your skin. Go a little lighter on the trigger than you may be used to with some other frags. If the opening is a bit strong for you, give it 30-60 minutes to develop & drydown. I happen to enjoy it from start to finish, but for my wife & others, I go light & spray a little sooner before leaving the house with it on.

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in the city there was a girl in my neighbourhood who wore a boller hat. She probably wasn't more than 20 years old. I'm an old guy and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that thing, but she not only pulled it off, she made me wish I was 20 years old too! Probably a good thing it never occurred to her that some people think boller hats are for old folks.
    A thing is worth what it can do for you, not what you choose to pay for it. John Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Doji Dave View Post
    When I lived in the city there was a girl in my neighbourhood who wore a boller hat. She probably wasn't more than 20 years old. I'm an old guy and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that thing, but she not only pulled it off, she made me wish I was 20 years old too! Probably a good thing it never occurred to her that some people think boller hats are for old folks.
    A well made point....then again, cute/attractive young women have that ability to make just about anything look good...

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Anyway, at least be wary of all the hype and sample first with Rive Gauche. It does smell dated, and if you don't like older 70s/80s type scents, you may not like it.
    Rive Gauche PH was released in 2002. It's nothing like the masculines that were popular in the 70s and 80s. I know, because I wore some of those when I was very young, and I love RGPH now. It is roughly in the fougere family, but I think it's more green and lighter than more traditional ones, and I think it's still a very interesting modern take on the genre.

I understand that you don't like it, and of course you're entitled to like whatever you want. I just question your description of it, and think others may be misled.

Of course, as you said, sampling is the best way to go, at least until we get computers with smell-o-vision.

By the way - yes, I think a young man can easily wear this. I know a teenager that wears Eau Sauvage, a scent that was released 30 years before he was born. As in fashion, perfume fads come and go, but the classics remain.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Excellent perception!!! I agree wholly!

Post Thanks / Like

I have worn it for years (I've just turned 23) with no problems in fact compliments from friends and strangers alike. If a scent works with your chemistry and you like it there is no reason not to wear it.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

yes its awsome
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, yes. I was about 26-27 when I started wearing Rive Gauche and I still enjoy wearing it as of today.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Absolutely yes. If you like the scent, go for it.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say yes, unless you look very baby-faced.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 18 and i wear it. RG is my favourite scent tbh. Doesn't smell dated or old at all.

Post Thanks / Like

This is not one of the "old man" scents that typically have strong soap or powder accords.
    It is much more "fresh" and green.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A young man COULD wear it, as long as he doesn't spray too much of it.

Some people will think it's an old man cologne, there's no avoiding that.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great formal/work fragrance, but I think it's a bit out of place with a T-shirt and jeans/shorts. It smells a lot like the Barbasol in a barber shop. I wouldn't consider it an older man's fragrance, but it is sort of a throwback.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a great formal/work fragrance, but I think it's a bit out of place with a T-shirt and jeans/shorts. It smells a lot like the Barbasol in a barber shop. I wouldn't consider it an older man's fragrance, but it is sort of a throwback.

Post Thanks / Like

Any age can wear anything, I truly believe that....for people who dont like that concept, I do think Rive Gauche projects an older 40+ vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. It's great.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you want to smell good, interesting, and different from the pack? Or would you rather smell like everyone else your age? Test the stuff out. Do YOU like how it smells on you? If yes, wear it. If there's something about it you don't like, then wear something else. Every fragrance, if it is original at all, is going to smell a bit different in some way. "Too old" "too weird" "too feminine" "too fill-in-the-blank". There is no fragrance that everyone is going to completely love. The only way to avoid someone not liking your fragrance is to wear none. Of course, there may then be something else about you for someone to pick at. There are young men who will smell great and age-appropriate wearing RGpH, but only you can decide if it smells great ON YOU.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it smells oldish. Stick to more hip scents imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect this smells old man and have been reluctant to try it. It's hard to tell on BN which fragrances suit the normal/less enthusiast and younger crowd. Many recommendations suit older folks and those with complex and niche tastes that just don't work for many.

Eau Sauvage is another one that gets lots of recommendations. I tried it and it's horrid.definitely a strong old man and dated feel to it. If you're under 45 steer clear. I will try Rive Gauche but the barber shop smell doesn't fill me with confidence. A modern recommendation for clean and fresh would be Prada Amber pour Homme. It's excellent, inoffensive, clean and sophisticated.

Sent from my HTC One

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No- Prada Amber is much more modern and appealing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    No- Prada Amber is much more modern and appealing
    Exactly what I said. Agreed! My bottle has finished and I can't say I finish many bottles so quickly! It was in regular rotation for work/formal.

Sent from my HTC One

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badr View Post
    Exactly what I said. Agreed! My bottle has finished and I can't say I finish many bottles so quickly! It was in regular rotation for work/formal.

Sent from my HTC One
    I respect it but I won't wear it often..

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

OP, I personally like Rive Gauche just fine and comfortably wear it to work or casually. Having said that, both of my children are actually older than you So, if generational references mean anything to you, take that for what you will.

Slightly more seriously, if you want to project a clean, classical scent image and this works with the rest of your style and personality it'll be nice. If you're more of a shorts & sandals kind of guy when you go out casually, it may be contrary to your style and I'd consider some of the other very good options instead of Rive Gauche.

It goes without saying that sampling would be a plus if you can locate it. Oh, and I'd definitely recommend the older black & silver tin can juice, as opposed to the new one. I believe it's still commonly available online (e.g. FragranceNet), but getting more rare by the day as its been discontinued.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's still around 40 bucks for 4.2 oz,,
    I don't believe it's discontinued

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    It's still around 40 bucks for 4.2 oz,,
    I don't believe it's discontinued
    Good point, let me re-phrase: re formulated, not discontinued. The old tin can is what I meant has been discontinued.

Thx for the clarification.