Perfumery is abundant with roses. There is the Black Aoud rose--wild, lipstick red, and romantic; there is the Incense Rosé rose--an abstraction with lines shooting up to acrid incense and spiraling down to swirling myrrh and ambergris; there is the Lyric Man rose--watery, translucent, shimmering; etc.
Which roses strike you with emotional shock? Which roses make you think, make you dream, make you feel?
Just yesterday, I wore Calandre, a luminous creamy-spicy rose, very serene and happy. But, at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've also started to look into the old big rose + dirty animalics combos, like Shocking.
I really need to invest some time with the Tom Ford line.
Indeed, Noir de Noir by Tom Ford is an elegant, unisex composition, and also high-quality and well-blended. It's a dark and sensuous scent, and borders on the dramatic. As a bonus, it possesses good projection and very good longevity.
Portrait of a Lady is my favorite - rose, raspberry, and incense are the major elements and it's FANTASTIC.
This. It is out of this world good, IMO. Lalfeorosa by O'driù is another exceptional and quite innovative rose scent...
Current Top Favorites:
1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
4) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie
6) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
1. Dior Homme Original
2. Musc Ravaguer
3. Portrait of a Lady
4. Noir de Noir
5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
6. New Haarlem
7. Pure Coffee
8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
9. Rose 31
10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille
My favorite rose fragrances are highly blended with other things that add interest and story that makes sense with the rose scent itself.
Le Labo Rose 31 - there is something magical about the way rose and cumin interact in this scent - it is memorable.
HEELY Agarwoud - The combination of oud, rose and incense woods is extremely beautifully done. Is my favorite rose oud combo.
TF Noir d' Noir - Plum deep rose with an excellent patchouli balance.
TF Jardin Noir Cafe Rose - A unisex rose blended with sandalwood, patchouli, incense, coffee.
Dirty Rose by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz is dirty with a strong mix of rose with: dirt, green leaf, tobacco, leather, patchouli, incense and rose.
L' Ombre Dans L' Eau - Dyptique's combination of rose and black currant leaf is an amazing contrast of airy ethereal rose and bitter dirt clean leaves.
STARTING ROTATION: Cologne du Parfumeur • Dior Homme Cologne • Sel d' Vetiver • Javanese Patchouli • Vetiver Veritas • Azemour les Orangers • Bergamote 22 • Peruvian Ambrette • Palissandre d' Or • Bowmakers • Ex Idolo Thirty Three • Boston Ivy • LL Santal 33 • L'Homme Eau Boisee • Jardin d' Amalfi • BtV Chelsea • Maestrale
Creed Jardin d'Amalfi
Creed - Windsor
L'Artisan - Voleur de Roses
Bond No. 9 - New York Oud
Heeley - Agarwoud
Armani Prive - Rose d'Arabie
by Kilian - Rose Oud
Tom Ford - Noir de Noir
Amouage - Lyric Man
Tom Ford - Cafe Rose
1. Xerjoff - Nio
2. Creed - Aventus
3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
7. Creed - Virgin Island Water
8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
9. Creed - Original Cologne
10. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
Sa Majeste La Rose - most true to life dewy rose, with a touch of honey. a bouquet of 1000 roses, larger than life, stunning.
Opone - rose + saffron , genius in its simplicity.
Villoresi Musk - elegant powdery rose that has an old school feel to it, but smells in no way dated. elegance personified.