Code of Conduct

Default First timer, about to order some samples

I'm 16 and never worn cologne before. If it matters, I'm white, tall, into sports, and looking for something that I can wear when I hang out with friends/girls. I'm ordering some samples soon, here's what I have right now. Remember, something simple and inexpensive for a first timer

Perry Ellis 360 Red for men
    Burberry London
    Curve (I know, it's popular and I'd like not to smell like lots of other guys. But none of my friends wear cologne so it may be ok?)
    Eternity CK
    Joop!

Alright. Fire away. Any of those something I shouldn't bother with? Anything else I should try out? Lemme know!

Default Re: First timer, about to order some samples

Of those London is by far the best. It smells really good, but it's somewhat weak, so don't expect much longevity and lasting power from it....Joop will give you all the power you want, but it smells really plasticky and it's off putting to a lot of people.

- - - Updated - - -

My honest recommendation for just about everything, and it smells really good, and gets the job done: Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Of those London is by far the best. It smells really good, but it's somewhat weak, so don't expect much longevity and lasting power from it....Joop will give you all the power you want, but it smells really plasticky and it's off putting to a lot of people.

- - - Updated - - -

My honest recommendation for just about everything, and it smells really good, and gets the job done: Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier.
    I don't want a cologne that is overbearing so the entire room smells it, especially if it smells "plasticky". Just something that someone will notice if they are standing next to me. That'll be the first to go if the order gets too big.

London gets a lot of hype here it seems, that's why I added it here. Will tack on le male as well, thanks.

Welcome!

I would also check something elegant and smooth, like Chanel Egoiste (the regular Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste), which is warm and sandalwoody, or Caron pour un homme, a classic lavender-vanilla combination.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Welcome Rocket!

I would recommend Yves Saint Lauerent Rive Gauche. It has a lovely barbershop smell that is understated and is long lasting. It's very masculine too. Good luck to you!

Southerngardens

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Of those London is by far the best.
    Agree

Sound Scents

I can only recommend London from that list...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Hmm... A lot of the fragrances heralded on this site are scents you have to develop a nose for, imo. It's kind of like coffee. People generally start out with sweet coffee drinks and then move away from the sweetness. I don't know anyone who tried black coffee their first time and loved it. It's the same way with scents. It helps to start off with scents that aren't too challenging and just smell good. The folks on this site(me included) seem to overwhelmingly prefer strong, complex, often very masculine fragrances that my untrained teenage nose would have hated. When I think generally about someone your age I think sporty, fresh scents (which bn'ers generally rate poorly) as opposed to warm spicy scents (though maybe something gourmand would be good). For this reason, I would recommend you try something like L'Homme Libre by YSL, Armani Code, or (putting my hater shield on) Acqua di Gio. For something warm/gourmandy maybe try Dolce & Gabbana The One. Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense may work for you, too. Also, try the Varvatos flankers, particularly Varvatos Vintage. If you have a mall or department store nearby you can get to just stop by and sample some there. All of the fragrances I mentioned can often be found at department stores. This could save you money ordering samples.

Of course, the above makes a lot of assumptions. If we know more about what you know and what you like, we could probably help a little more. Have you smelled any fragrances before. What were they and what did you think about them? Do you think you would like something fresh? Citrusy? Cool? or Warm? Spicy? Something else entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by kvn View Post
    Hmm... A lot of the fragrances heralded on this site are scents you have to develop a nose for, imo. It's kind of like coffee. People generally start out with sweet coffee drinks and then move away from the sweetness. I don't know anyone who tried black coffee their first time and loved it. It's the same way with scents. It helps to start off with scents that aren't too challenging and just smell good. The folks on this site(me included) seem to overwhelmingly prefer strong, complex, often very masculine fragrances that my untrained teenage nose would have hated. When I think generally about someone your age I think sporty, fresh scents (which bn'ers generally rate poorly) as opposed to warm spicy scents (though maybe something gourmand would be good). For this reason, I would recommend you try something like L'Homme Libre by YSL, Armani Code, or (putting my hater shield on) Acqua di Gio. For something warm/gourmandy maybe try Dolce & Gabbana The One. Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense may work for you, too. Also, try the Varvatos flankers, particularly Varvatos Vintage. If you have a mall or department store nearby you can get to just stop by and sample some there. All of the fragrances I mentioned can often be found at department stores. This could save you money ordering samples.

Of course, the above makes a lot of assumptions. If we know more about what you know and what you like, we could probably help a little more. Have you smelled any fragrances before. What were they and what did you think about them? Do you think you would like something fresh? Citrusy? Cool? or Warm? Spicy? Something else entirely?
    That's the thing, I don't know yet! I have really only smelled one that my friend has, I forget what it was, and adg in a magazine. I know it was an aqua one with a light blue bottle and silver cap. I just ordered a pretty big selection for about $20. I looked up all of the ones you suggested, but the website I ordered from doesn't carry most of them :/ . I'm always told I look older then I am, so I don't really need an older/more complex smelling cologne. Something that a girl my age will smell and like (and my guys friends won't mind being around), which seems to be the scents that most people here don't like.

Being that it is winter I want something kinda warm and a touch of spicy for right now (I got burberry london and brit samples for that reason. Also got Le male, not sure what that will be like exactly), and I want something light that smells good for kind of overall daytime use. This is where you guys will jump on me things that are just pleasant to be around, nothing overly complicated I guess. From my research this would be scents like AdG, cool water, eternity, 360 red, etc for someone my age (those happen to be what I got too).

Another thing is cost. I'm not willing to pay more then about $40 max for a 3oz can, and several of the ones I've been told of are $60+. Just too pricey for me right now!

Dependent

get polo blue that stuff smells so fresh at a good price
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

So, based on what you've said, I think I'll stick by my recommendations. Particularly D&G The One, it's warm and a little spicy without being overbearing. It's unoffending and just nice. Varvatos Vintage is similar but it's a little sweeter. Another one like that would be Euphoria(or the Intense version) by CK or even CK One Shock. These are also all pretty affordable, but they won't last as long as most of your stronger, more expensive fragrances. Btw, not sure where you're getting your samples, but theperfumedcourt.com should have most of these. Good luck.

Joop makes many a man sad, but it could be something you like, idk. I just bought 100mL's of London and I love it. It's very Christmassy though, so it may only be suitable for those super cold months. I don't know any of the other frags, but I generally haven't heard good things from Perry Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by kvn View Post
    So, based on what you've said, I think I'll stick by my recommendations. Particularly D&G The One, it's warm and a little spicy without being overbearing. It's unoffending and just nice. Varvatos Vintage is similar but it's a little sweeter. Another one like that would be Euphoria(or the Intense version) by CK or even CK One Shock. These are also all pretty affordable, but they won't last as long as most of your stronger, more expensive fragrances. Btw, not sure where you're getting your samples, but theperfumedcourt.com should have most of these. Good luck.
    Alright I'll try to find that one next time I go to a mall and try it out. I got samples from scented monkey.com. They sell samples for all the colognes they sell, and it's a fairly large selection. I'm aware you get what you pay for, but I'm hoping something <$40 will suffice for me! Thanks for the suggestions!

Joop makes many a man sad, but it could be something you like, idk. I just bought 100mL's of London and I love it. It's very Christmassy though, so it may only be suitable for those super cold months. I don't know any of the other frags, but I generally haven't heard good things from Perry Ellis.
    Haha either people like it, or they don't. Figured for $3, I may as well try it out. I heard london was a wintertime one, which is something I want because it's getting so cold here! It seemed like a lot of wintertime scents smell older, and this one is kind of a safe shot from what I've heard!

edit: also, I've heard the perry ellis is kind of like AdG, but a but spicier and lasts longer, as well as being cheaper. The people that have t tend to like it!
    Last edited by rocket999; 3rd October 2012 at 01:01 AM.

London is probably going to be the most recommended on that list, I think you would prefer Eternity at your age, though.
    Others to consider (these are more mature, but definitely not "old"): YSL L'Homme, Boss Bottled, A&F Fierce (this is obviously the exception), definitely La Nuit for nights out. I'm 20, if it makes a difference

I'm afraid I can't agree with the recommendations for Caron Pour un Homme & Rive Gauche for a 16 year old. Rive Gauche is a beautiful fragrance, but for what seems to be popular & liked by teens these days (& what teen girls like, which let's be honest, is why any teen wants to wear cologne), it would be a bit too mature IMO. Caron Pour un Homme is one of the most dated & harshest fragrances I've come across. It's like Rive Gauche amped to 1,000, without any of the smooth edges. I truly tried to appreciate it, but it's extremely strong & unforgiving & I can't even fathom a teenage girl finding it an attractive scent on a teenage guy. I know it's a classic, but I didn't get anything pleasant out of that one.

My recommendation would be to stick with the "popular" scents on the market. They may not get much love on BN, but you have to remember, they're popular, liked & mainstream for a reason. I'd check out le'Male, 1 million, Diesel Fuel for Life, Dior Homme sport, True Religion (the Diesel & true religion would be my sleeper hits in this bunch, btw), Burberry London (I agree, thought, the longevity on this one is pretty bad), Polo Blue, A&F Fierce, Rochas Man, The chanel allure homme sport line, Nautica Voyage, Azzaro Chrome, Hugo Boss Bottled....there all relatively easy to find & aren't overly expensive (some are pretty cheap, too). Welcome man, & best of luck!