Code of Conduct

Default Which of these is not like the other? LOL

I have Creed Green Irish Tweed, Atelier Cologne Bois Blond, Bond New York Oud, Chanel Coromandel and Acqua di Parma Essenza.

Wanted for versatile, mostly a fall and winter scent, some spring okay

GIT is year round, Bois Blond warmer weather (light on me, close to the skin), NY Oud year round (said to have roses, more like some fruit vibe and an oud vibe and that saffron), Coromandel heavy fall and winter, and Essenza spring summer

Wanted for office, church mostly, does not work in big office.

choices:

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere pour Noire HOMME
    MFK Absolue pour le Soir
    Frapin 1270
    Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    Parfume Generale Indochine
    Parfums d'Empire Wazamba
    Parfume Generale Bois Blond maybe?

feel free to comment on appropriateness in office or church or why you prefer it, or rank them, and I love something that projects and lasts, and Bois Blond projects the least on me. Coromandel and NY OUd are perfect as far as longevity and projection. And I am ready to stray out of a comfort zone. Tried Idole and did not work, LDDM loved, C&S 88 and Cuba , preferred Cuba, Dior Leather oud, i have to say Leather does not agree with me, but those that say Buttery leather intrigue me but leather is not good on me. I think I have some floral in the Essenza and Atelier Bois Blond and then some in the NY OUd perhaps. 1270 is sweet enough. Do I need spice? CDG 2Man was smokey enough, Lonestar Memories too smokey. THis is to just give some guidelines. Dont know if the AplS is too skanky or if I just need to wear it a dozen times before I fall in love with it

Default Re: Which of these is not like the other? LOL

Frapin Caravelle Epicee

Power Where You Need It

I like, more or less, almost all of them (with the exclusion of Bois Blond which I've not tried it yet)....All of them could be valid options with the exception of APLS which is a terrific fragrance but I personally wouldn't wear it in the workplace expecially if you are in a small office.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I love Apls, but it is very animalic and definitely not safe for church or office. Lumiere Noire, instead, seems right for the purpose. Elegant, warm, some flowers, some patch.

cacio

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere pour Noire HOMME - very wearable in a small office or church setting. The rose, spice anbd patchouli are not overwhelming

MFK Absolue pour le Soir - overwhelming - but well worth it. You need to own this at some point. For yourself.

Frapin 1270 - very boozy - work and church safe because it doesn't monstrously project

Frapin Caravelle Epicee - same as above and I personally love this one.

Parfume Generale Indochine - would work nicely for office and church. Its very soft.

Parfums d'Empire Wazamba - this is rather strong and projects very well. May not be too office and church friendly.
    for swap/sale:

I ordered samples from Luckyscent, and will narrow down a winter cologne to one of these, to pair with Coromandel. I dont go clubbing at age 52, and I dont mind a scent that is a little more pronounced or loud. I work alone in an office, and by the time I get to work, or am at church, it is an hour since I have applied scent

By Kilian Sample:Cruel Intentions
    By Kilian Sample:Straight to Heaven
    By Kilian Sample:Back to Black
    By Kilian Sample:Sweet Redemption
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian Sample:Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian Sample:Absolue pour le Soir
    Frapin Sample:1270
    Frapin Sample:Caravelle Epicee

So hit me with the top 3 as far as

1) Longevity, rank the 3 as far as that goes
    2) Projection, give me 1 through 3
    3) Uniqueness of scent , 1 through 3
    and
    4) overall, which would you add to my collection, 1 through 3

Again, I have GIT, Coromandel, Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza, and Bond #9

Banned

Frapin 1270 would be my choice.

IMO, Cruel Intentions or Straight to Heaven.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. Xerjoff - Fars
    5. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Creed - Green Valley
    7. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Creed - Royal Scottish Lavender

Straight to Heaven is really nice. There you go.

- - - Updated - - -

Straight to Heaven is really nice. There you go.

Dependent

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere pour Noire HOMME
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Got first sniff tonight when I got home and opened the samples. That Lumiere Homme was a nice rose scent, and first impressions. Straight to Heaven okay and so was Cruel Intentions. Sweet Redemption was an orange creamsicle, and Back to Black, cherry pipe tobacco.

I'd have to say that so far, I would buy Lumiere as one of them, and either Straight to Heaven or Cruel Intentions, and then maybe as a dark horse, APLS

Is Lumiere going to turn powdery and how would you rank just those four as far as longevity and projection. Projection is a bit thing to me. I have a thing of Bois Blond by Atelier Cologne and while it really does lasts, I have to bury my nose into my wrist to smell it. With Cormandel or New York Oud, I dont have to, and it is worth the extra dollars to me. Thanks

My top pics (longevity/projection/uniqueness/overall)

MFK Absolue pour le Soir (1/1/1/1)
    MFK Lumiere Noire pour Homme (3/3/2/2)
    Kilian Back to Black (2/2/3/3)

Kilian Cruel Intentions (projection here is second best next to APLS, good longevity)

There are many rose+patchouli and sweet tobacco scents, yet I find all three to be unique in their areas. Lumiere Noire pour Homme wears the lightest of these. It never gets close to powdery on my skin. Also, I don't consider it a winter fragrance, in fact I find it very versatile for any temperature and most situations.

If powder concerns you, be warned that Back to Black can get powdery on some skin types. Personally, it's my favorite of the Kilians you listed, and a delicious comforting warm scent perfect for cooler weather.

I've never tried the Frapins. Between the other three Kilians, I'd prefer Cruel Intentions to the other two, and I find it projects very well.

Give them each a full wear or two before making up your mind. Good luck!

p.s. If you're considering other options, there are many good cool weather scents: Puredistance M, Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, FM Musc Ravageur and Portrait of a Lady, TF Tobacco Vanille, SL Ambre Sultan, PG L'Ombre Fauve to name a few. All these project very well.

Blog Entries

Lumière Noire pour Homme. Nice spice, some rose...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Frapin 1270 should work for what you need.

APLS is excellent and my clear favourite of the bunch, but having said that Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire would be the most appropriate for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Again, I have GIT, Coromandel, Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza, and Bond #9
    Where do you wear these out of curiosity? Might help give us a better picture of your frag habits...

Rum, good question. I wear all of these to work, to church, weekend, anywear and everywhere. Coromandel, I typically wait for 60 degrees Farenheit and under, my mid fall to early spring scent. GIT year round, but not heavy winter and typically when I want to impress, dressed up. The Bond and Essenza are anytime, and more likely to be worn on weekends. I usually meet my wife for dinner driving home from work so I dont go home and go into a night time scent. If we go out on the weekends to eat dinner, maybe then. No clubs, and usually not out after 8:00 p.m. unless it is a movie, or the theater a few times a year, or some sort of church or social party and then it may be 10:30 the latest, and that would be a few couples or so at someone's house.

1270 is nice but on me it went to skin scent in 4 hours, much as the Essenza does, and the 1270 I have to get close to the wrist, not not dig my nose into it like Bois Blond, but it is closer than the NY Oud. Tomorrow I think the Lumiere for church as I will have it on around 8:30 and sitting in a congregation by 9:30 and wife next to me so if she likes it, then it is just a matter to see how it feels and smells around 3:30

I love Absolute pour le soir but I don't think it's appropiate for work or church.

Wore Back to Black today. I think Back to Black reminds me of serge lute a Fumerie Turque. It has been likened to cherry pipe tobacco. It does meet my desire for projection and so far i like it better than the 1270 I wore yesterday. But I do like Back to Black, the projection is great and so is the longevity. If the other by Killians are as long lasting and project as much, then I can see me getting one of them. And if Kurkdjian is just as good in each category, one of those. My only concern is the animalic note in APLS and that the Cologne version is less projection and less longevity and from what I read, more powdery.

- - - Updated - - -

Wore Sweet Redemption today and so it is nice and orangey, and it is loud so that is a plus, but it is not something I can see me wearing

So I think I am looking at one of these five

By Kilian Sample:Cruel Intentions
    By Kilian Sample:Straight to Heaven
    By Kilian Sample:Back to Black
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian Sample:Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian Sample:Absolue pour le Soir

and maybe the Cologne version of the Apls if it is too animal.

Feel free to compare these and the only one of them I have tried is Back to Black. It lasted an easy 14 hours on me with some pretty amazing projection. IF the other Killians and the MFS are just as strong, I will love it

- - - Updated - - -

They are right, gotta let it go an hour or two, let it do its thing. So far, now some 4 hours into it. very projecting, very nice, to the sweeter side of vanilla, and it is growing on me. I tend to either like or abide a scent on first blush and first blush, this was wacky skanky and honey. Now, not so much so.

So far, Here is how i would roll with these

1) APLS - at least it says something. It is out there,loud and proud and i can smell myself 4 hours into it. Growing on me
    2) Lumiere - touch of class, never offensive
    3) 1270 or Caravelle - different, priced right
    4) Sweet Redemption - nice, orangy, projects well, lasts a long time
    5) Back to Black - gotta wear this again
    never mind on Cruel Intentions, Straight to Heaven,