Code of Conduct

Default Exploring leather & incense frags...

Leather & incense are two categories of fragrance that I have little experience with, or at least very little success in finding a fave. Can you please let me know your favorite leather and your favorite incense...this will help me decide where to start some serious sampling. THanks!

Default Re: Exploring leather & incense frags...

My favorite leather is Estee Lauder Azuree with Robert Piguet Bandit a very close second. Azuree edges out Bandit becuase of it's burnt sugar aspect which sweetens the dry leather notes and makes them easier to stomach. I love Bandit, but I have to be in the mood for it.

As for incense, it's a toss up between Donna Karan Chaos and Etro Messe de Minuit. Chaos is sweeter and less edgy than Messe de Minuit, which smells like Christmas Eve at the Roman Catholic church which I attended as a child.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

My favorite leather is Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire -- very elegant and "lady-like"; SL Daim Blond and Cuir de Lancome are worth sampling too (Lancome is probably the second favorite, then SL).

Incense -- too many to mention, but Incense Rose by Tauer is very good (I don't get any rose, just incense - ? Maybe I need to retest it). CdG Ouarzazate and Armani Prive Bois d'Encens are both excellent too. Neither of the three are "churchy" (iykwim).
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

Leather

Expensive: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford and/or Aoud Leather by Montale

Affordable: Cabochard by Gres and/or Tabac Blond by Caron

Incense

Expensive: Jubilation XXV by Amouage (I think you already like Serge Noire, right ubu?)

Affordable: Avignon by Comme des Garcons

Yes, Duchaufour did both.

My favorite "pure" leather fragrance is Parfum d'Empire's Cuir Ottoman. It's so rich and round, and yet bold and leathery, with a faint floral touch of iris, violet, and rose touch hidden subtly in the drydown. I wear it infrequently but it's a clear favorite.

My favorite fragrance with a leather note is Serge Lutens' Rose de Nuit, a wonderfully dark - yes, the "nuit" is present here - and old fashioned leather chypre. Unlike Bandit, which always just smelled sour to me, the leather in this is rich and heavy, with civet, castoreum, rose and moss making this all about the basenotes. I go on about this fragrance far too much on these boards, but I can't help it - I'm in love!

Other favorite leathers are Parfumerie Generale's Cuir D'Iris, an earthy, rough-edged leather with iris and vanilla, and L'Artisan's Dzing, which smells delightfully like candyfloss and an animalic "something" if applied lightly, and unfortunately like an incontinent biker if applied heavily. Tauer's Lonestar Memories is horrific smelling, but in a fascinating way, like Guernica meets BBQ. Since I know you like jasmine, give Parfumerie Generale's Psychotrope a try; it's a cool, almost "polished" leather with a very mellow, Sarrasins-esque jasmine.

Incense is a problem category for me, too, so I won't give too much advice there. If you like patchouli, Messe de Minuit is awesome through the top and heart before drying down to a solid patchouli base.

Oh, and if you can make it through the abrasive, unpleasant, medical-smelling top notes, Montale's Aoud Cuir D'Arabie is an oud-rose-leather combo overflowing with personality.

Although not pure incense, I get a distinct incense vibe in Chanel Sycomore (Les Exclusifs). It's worth sampling!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Favorite leather is definitely Cuir de Russie by Chanel and I saw that Serge Noire by SL is part of the encense so that one would be my favorite of this category

I'm already compiling my list...the plan is to start this leather & incense quest during the basenotes worldwide meet up in about 2 more weeks. Being in Chicago will afford me a grand opportunity to do some mass sampling! :bounce:I'll also be able to hear direct input from my fellow basenoters :wave:so Quarry, get ready to throw your two cents at me!!!

mikeperez - yep, I sure do like Serge Noire! To be honest, I don't enjoy it in the heat of summer...but it's great during the winter months. It also smells divine on my hubby, truth be told, he wears it more than me ! For my nose, it is more woods than incense...but maybe that's because I'm not well versed in that genre'. Do you rec. any CDG's for incense?

Galamb_Borong - Bandit smells sour to me as well . I've noticed in your posts that we share some similar perceptions so I'll be taking extra careful notes on your suggestions !

kess, I will most definitely sample Sycomore...it's already on my list!

Please add more ideas for me, and thanks again you guys!

Sur la Plage

Besides what has already been mentioned:

Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche and Encens Flamboyant - incense
    CDG Kyoto, Jailsamer, Zagorsk, Quarzazate - incense
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond - leather
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur - leather
    Cuir Lancome - leather
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th August 2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Off-Scenter

Wow - with all the sampling and reviewing you've done, I was surprised to find so few leathers and incense fragrances on your wardrobe's "Tried" list!

Here are a few of my favorite leathers:
    Chanel Cuir de Russie (Rich, floral-animalic leather. Possibly my "desert island" selection.)
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur (Refined vetiver and leather.)
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie (Outrageous biker leather.)
    Eau d'Hermès (Animalic citrus-cumin leather.)
    Onda (Weird, intense, spicy leather.)

My wife also enjoys Cuir Beluga, which is a very sweet vanilla with a "barely there" suede note in the foundation.

Among incense fragrances, I second Comme des Garçons Avignon, and add the following:
    CdG Kyoto (Sheer, dry, ashen incense.)
    CdG Jaisalmer (Sweet, spicy-camphoraceous incense.)
    Dzongkha (Perhaps my favorite. Smoky, mysterious, otherworldly.)
    Paestum Rose (Rose and frankincnese.)

Oh, and let's not forget L'Air du Desert Marocain, though the incense is buried rather deeply under those sands...

Happy hunting!

Leather:
    Knize Ten (floral vanillic leather) - Top: Petitgrain, Orange, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon. Heart: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Geranium, Iris, Rose, Carnation, Cinnamon. Base: Leather, Ambergris, Musk, Moss, Vanilla, Castoreum.
    Cuir de Russie (floral leather) - The composition starts with aldehydes moderated by mild nectar of classical trio – rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang. The ending comes as smoky, animalistic note of dark leather. The main notes are: orange blossom, bergamot, mandarin, sage, iris, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, cedarwood, vetiver, styrax, leather, amber and vanilla.
    Cuir Mauresque (fruity, spicy leather)
    Tabac Blond (carnation smokey leather)

Incense:
    Kyoto
    Ouarzazate
    Dzonghka
    Last edited by anais; 11th August 2009 at 06:41 PM.
    ~ Anais ~

Blog Entries

Ubu~ When you have your list compiled, Make Sure you have a look at my wardrobe for anything else you'd like to try. Incense and/or leather frags I have are:

AP Cuir Amethyste
    Guerlain Bd'A
    DK Black Cashmere
    DK Chaos (new)
    Hotel Costes
    Tabac Blond (extrait)
    YSL Nu

I've been making a sniffing list in anticipation of the Meet-Up too!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Of the CDG Incense Series I've tried so far, Avignon is my favorite. The best frankincense I've smelled, but I think you have to really like frankincense to want to wear it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur (Refined vetiver and leather.)
    Oh! I really like this one. It doesn't smell very leathery to me, though; I smell mimosa and violet leading into a rather earthy smell, like forest dirt ( probably the vetiver ).

Thing with leather and incense is, many are positively riveting and uniquely interesting - but wearable (to me, ymmv) not so much. I love incenses, but don't really wear leathers, although I do really enjoy a select few.
    Cuir Ottoman - feminine leaning leather, or suede, actually.
    Dzing! is my other fav leather, very horse-y.
    Cuir de Lancôme is not my favourite, but it would give you a fair idea of a "pure" leather note.
    I also get a bit of leather from Chergui.

In incenses, you *have* to start with the CdG series.
    Avignon is breathtakingly realistic church incense -and as such, not for wearing for me- but oh boy, gawjuss. Ouarzazate, otoh, is incense-y *and* incredibly wearable, most wearable out of all the CdG's, i think.
    L'Air du Désert Marocain
    - bone dry spices and incense. Magical.
    Profumum Olibanum - smooth incense resin, not the burnt stuff. Absolutely lovely and wearable, sadly waaay expensive. According to some, it's very similar to one of the Durbano's. Dimitri will probably know which I mean.
    Encens Flamboyant - bit musty, bit tame to me. Still wearable.
    Armani Privé Bois d'Encens - quite aggressive, sharp and cedary. Definitely a businesslike frag.
    Tourmalin Noir - campfire in which someone chucked a few incense sticks. Very smoky, very bold, very nice.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Sensual leather : Serge Lutens Chergui
    Edgy [erotic] Leather : Ava Luxe Film Noir

High End Incense : Amouage Jubilation XXV, Dia Man [can be worn by females too as it has a floral top and heart]
    Stone Cold Incense : Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline
    Carnal Sensual Incense : Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve [Some would contend it's the Animalic Musk and Amber lending this PG the carnal facets, but the incense adds up, noticeably]

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Those are also two of my favorites notes!

My favorite incense frags are:
    Encens Flamboyant Parfum: the parfum is so much richer and deeper than the EDP and is longer lasting not to mention its sillage (unusual for a parfum)
    L'air de Desert Marocain: when I first sampled this, it was pure amber with a hint of frankincense. But when I wore it, it was vice-versa. Makes my knees shake everytime I smell it.
    Bois d'Encens: I bought this when it first came out and it was my first incense frag. This is pure frankincense, and nothing else (to me anyway). Although I have to be in the mood to wear this one.

My favorite leather frags are:
    Tabac Blond EDP and Parfum: I bought this as a blind buy and at first I didn't really like it. Nowadays, I can't wait to complete my frag rotation just to wear it! And 1* my ass Turin!!!
    Cuir de Russie Parfum: I love that the parfum has an intense barnyard note and really conjures up the image of a worn Hermes horse saddle The EDT smells like aldehydes to me and nothing more...
    Cuir d'Iris: I was on a leather quest last year, and I wanted a frag that smells exactly like leather. Most leather frags are just illusions of leather, but this was pure, unadultered leather!
    Cuir Ottoman: I find this close to Cuir d'Iris but with a more suede feel to it and a subtle jasmine note. Much more feminine that Cd'I.
    Tuscan Leather: as I smell this on more and more people, it's becoming somewhat of a cliche, but I love it nonetheless. My friend thinks it smells like the inside of a Birkin. I don't get that BTW.
    Last edited by scent; 11th August 2009 at 07:47 PM.

Comme des Garcons have a fabulous selection of incense frags:
    *Incense series (Avignon, Jaisalmer, Kyoto, Ouarzazate & Zagorsk), 888 88, *Cdg 2, ...these are either incense heavy or revolve purely around incense
    I think it's easier to go by companies
    Other (from heaviest to weakest - I'm following a list a friend of mine made on her blog):
    Norma Kamali Incense
    *Cardinal Heeley
    Andy Tauer - Incense Rose and *Incense Extreme
    Oliver Durbano - Black Tourmaline*, Rock Crystal*
    *Armani Privee Bois d'Encens
    *Diptyque l'Eau Trois
    *Josef Statkus (can be lovely or smell like cat urine - I get the latter unfortunately)
    *Demeter Holy Smoke
    *Dzonghka L'Artisan
    *Costume National Scent
    *Armani Mania (black, old version)
    *Ysl, Nu
    *Gucci PH
    *Annayake Miyako
    *Passage d'Enfer
    *Messe de Minuit
    *Black Cashmere DK
    *French Lover Frederic Malle
    *Ambre Russe
    *L'Occitane Eau d'Iparie
    *Villoresi Incensi (herb-heavy on me and can turn soapy)
    Kenzo by Flower Oriental
    *CdG Man 2
    *Olibanum Profumum
    Encens et bubblegum (Etat Libre)
    Obsession CK
    Costes
    *Padparadsha Satellite
    Cedarwood Tea IHP
    Burning Leaves IHP
    *CdG Hinoki
    *Encens et Lavende, SL (weak)
    *Ambre Sultan
    *Chergui
    *Shaal Nur Etro
    *Palisander CdG
    *Bond no 9 Silver factory (starts with incense and turns into a floral)
    Santalum Profumum (hints of incense)
    *Terre de Sarment (hints of incense and also tobacco and leather)

I marked the ones I know or own with *
    Last edited by Darwinia; 11th August 2009 at 08:05 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

Basenotes Institution

Fabulous list Darwinia !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I haven't tried enough of the leather fragrances to help in that dept. but for incense I recommend my favorites; Cardinal by Heeley, Black Cashmere, Nu, Avignon. Messe de Minuit is interesting but it gives me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Fabulous list Darwinia !
    Thank you You can tell I'm not very reasonable when it comes to incense.

Two more to add:
    Demeter
    *Incense (actually just sweet copal resin)
    *Myrrh (very dry and non-sweet)
    Last edited by Darwinia; 11th August 2009 at 08:30 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

Blog Entries

I've got another one for leather-- Hermes Kelly Caleche! I see it's already on your tried list, Ubu, but there's no stars so perhaps you'd consider trying it again. I love its floral and leathery combination that seems like it should contradict itself, but doesn't and is really pretty, imo.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Darwinia, too bad you're short on suggestions (LOL)

I used to own a small bottle of Daim Blond, which I started out loving but ended up tiring of fairly quickly...the same with AP Cuir Amethyste

Vibert - I know, I know for the ridiculous amount of sniffing I've done, the leathers and incense frags have been skirted around! From the above suggestions it's clear I'll have to revisit some overlooked treasures!

Some that I've tried were so long ago, when my senses couldn't fully appreciate them...you know, I view leather & incense notes as kind an 'acquired taste'. I did have a sample of Juozas Statkevicius (Josef Statkus) awhile back, and I remember really liking it...but now I cannot find a sample anywhere and $180. for 50 ml. is just too expensive for a blind buy.

Well, if anyone can help me find a new scent - it's you people!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    mikeperez - yep, I sure do like Serge Noire! To be honest, I don't enjoy it in the heat of summer...but it's great during the winter months. It also smells divine on my hubby, truth be told, he wears it more than me ! For my nose, it is more woods than incense...but maybe that's because I'm not well versed in that genre'. Do you rec. any CDG's for incense?
    You should try all 5 in the Incense Series sweetie, IMO this is one of the best fragrances that CdG released. As I said in my post, Avignon is my favorite but I own 3 others (Kyoto, Jaisalmer and Zagorsk). In addition, Scent One: Hinoki is pretty darn good also, but you must like a large helping of camphor and wood with your incense.

Serge Noire is such a complex scent, it wouldn't be fair to label it just an incense scent. However it's use of frankincense makes it really special - in the vein of Essence of John Galliano room spray by Diptyque.

I recently smelled a very nice if somewhat soft tuberose-incense fragrance, but unfortunately it's very hard to acquire - there's LITERALLY only one bottle - so, I just have a sample of it. If you'd like to give it a try feel free to PM me, Ubuandibeme.

If myrrh is included in the incense genre, then I definitely have to add another fragrance to my recommendation list: Ayala Moriel's Razala. It's a very bold oriental based around myrrh, ambergris, tuberose, orange and pepper. It's rather uncompromising but beautiful and kind off fascinating, too, and unlike many other all-naturals, it lasts and lasts. It's one of those fragrances I reach for only once in a while, but I'm glad when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...in the vein of Essence of John Galliano room spray by Diptyque.
    I think I must try this. I know I simply adore Diptyque's Myrrh room-spray; it's lovely, very rounded and incensey.

Lots of good suggestions, I'm just going to add...

L'artisan Timbuktu
    Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia
    S-Perfume S-eX
    Le Labo Patchouli 24
    Le Labo Vetiver 46

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I recently smelled a very nice if somewhat soft tuberose-incense fragrance, but unfortunately it's very hard to acquire - there's LITERALLY only one bottle - so, I just have a sample of it. If you'd like to give it a try feel free to PM me, Ubuandibeme.

If myrrh is included in the incense genre, then I definitely have to add another fragrance to my recommendation list: Ayala Moriel's Razala. It's a very bold oriental based around myrrh, ambergris, tuberose, orange and pepper. It's rather uncompromising but beautiful and kind off fascinating, too, and unlike many other all-naturals, it lasts and lasts. It's one of those fragrances I reach for only once in a while, but I'm glad when I do.
    Would that one bottle perhaps be Tuberose Lei by Ayala Moriel?! I was surfing AM's website and read the descriptions of TL and I was going to buy it blind, only to read that it was acquired on June 20th!!! If it is TL, geeez what a coincidence!!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Would that one bottle perhaps be Tuberose Lei by Ayala Moriel?! I was surfing AM's website and read the descriptions of TL and I was going to buy it blind, only to read that it was acquired on June 20th!!! If it is TL, geeez what a coincidence!!
    It is indeed Tuberose Lei! I'd read about it on Ayala's blog and wanted it too. Fortunately, it was a Basenoter who bought it, and I recently managed to get a sample through a trade with them. I feel quite lucky for that coincidence!

I found it very soft, but quite lovely: a dark, complex, jewel-like tuberose note fading into a lightly smoky sandalwood-incense base.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ... - in the vein of Essence of John Galliano room spray by Diptyque.
    You know I had some, and found it VERY nice!

My favorite incense, that is typed as such, is Jaisalmer. Yet, I think Opium parfum is a great incense scent. Molecule 01 too.
    My favorite leather is probably Cabochard.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Ubu~ When you have your list compiled, Make Sure you have a look at my wardrobe for anything else you'd like to try. Incense and/or leather frags I have are:

AP Cuir Amethyste
    Guerlain Bd'A
    DK Black Cashmere
    DK Chaos (new)
    Hotel Costes
    Tabac Blond (extrait)
    YSL Nu

I've been making a sniffing list in anticipation of the Meet-Up too!
    Oud-Girl, you mention great perfumes here. And btw, thank you for introducing me to Black Cashmere. I just bought a bottle from another BNer and I am loving it.
    Evenstar

Let me add Holy Water and Persona from La Via del Profumo. Very nice incense fragrances.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Let me add Holy Water and Persona from La Via del Profumo. Very nice incense fragrances.
    I quite liked Holy Water. It was rather like a traditional herbal eau de cologne that put frankincense where the citrus usually is, and had a very nice hyssop note, if I remember correctly.

Profumo's Hindu Kush has incense, also. And I'll add my votes for Holy Water and Persona.

I think most of the leathers I'd recommend have already been mentioned--Cuir de Russie parfum being my #1 pick. For Vintage, Guerlain Djedi and Lanvin Scandal. For Niche, Vero Onda and Nasomatto Absinthe.

My faves are:- Leather - Daim Blond and Cabochard.
    Incense - Encens et Lavande and Neil Morris Cathedral.

Favourite leathers

Cuir de Russie
    Cuir de Lancome
    Dzing!
    Chergui
    Tabac Blond

Favourite incense

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Kenzo Flower Oriental
    Black Cashmere
    Passage D'Enfer
    Etro Shaal Nur
    SL Fumerie Turque
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Current Leather Rotation:

Montale Aoud Leather
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Aramis Aramis (leathery chypre)
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond (Apricot Suede)

A few I have worn and would like to own:

Creed Royal English Leather
    Knize Knize Ten
    Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman
    Etat Libre d'Orange Vierges et Toreros
    Montale Oud Cuir d' Arabie
    Christian Dior Dior Homme (Iris Suede)
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur (Fine Leather)
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

Current Incense Rotation:

Olivier Durbano Rock Crystal
    Serge Lutens Serge Noire*
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha

A few I have worn and would like to own:

Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    Creed Angélique Encens
    Heeley Cardinal
    Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande
    Santa Maria Novella Cittá de Kyoto
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Aedes de Venustas
    Amouage Dia Man
    Yves Saint Laurent Nu
    Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh
    Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant

*I agree with Mike Perez. Serge Noire is a complex scent with an incense trail. The overall experience of Serge Noire reminds me of unburned incense, incense and wood ashes, camphor, burned cinnamon sticks with a warm oriental base akin to wearing a soft ashen coat. I had to wear this one a few times before it became one of my favorites.

Etat Libre has Rien, which is mesmerizing.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Cuir Ottomon is of course the perfect leather.

But please consider the wonderful signature leather note in Edmond Roudnitzka creations. Diorella is expecially lovely in summer.

Blog Entries

Jolie Madam is very good leather plus violet and my favorite leather fragrance.
    Serge Lutens Sarrasins is a very good leather + jasmine.
    Leather blends very smoothly with other fragrances, so you may or may not think these two smell "enough" like leather.

Lanvin's discontinued Scandal is a very good, very pure leather but FB on eBay go for ~$100US with shipping.

My favorite incense is Frankincense EO from Aura Cacia, diluted 10 to 1 with an unscented hand cream. It's all top note but applied at bed time it helps me get to sleep.

Sorry for adding nothing to this thread, but I'm too busy drooling at the thought of all those delicious leathers and incenses - two of my favourite categories.
    Just picture me doing the Homer Simpson drooling fool face, 'K?

And Ubu - check out my wardrobe and let me know which ones you'd like to try. Consider them yours.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ubu, I know theyve been mentioned before, but I fully endorse the varied use of Incense in Olivier Durbano's stone poems (specifically Rock Crystal, Amethyste, Black Tourmaline, and to a lesser extent, Turquoise)... they are fabulous!
    Also - a new incense fave: Byredo Encens... thick tarry incense with the mouth-watering aroma of baking gingerbread - too scrumptious!

As far as leather is concerned, my fave 'debonair' leather is XerJoff Homme and Ford's Tuscan Leather. I normally don't cope well with leathers, but these two I have tremendous success with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    And Ubu - check out my wardrobe and let me know which ones you'd like to try. Consider them yours.
    Speaking of wardrobes, I am still waiting to hear which particular Boden dress you wore to Small's party...
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Okay, here's my starting list of incenses (11) & leathers (13) to sample:

Rock Crystal - Oliver Durbano
    Encens - Byredo
    Dzongkha - L'Artisan
    Angelique Encens - Creed
    Josef Statkus -
    Encens Flambouyant - Annick Goutal
    Encens et Lavande &
    Cuir Mauresque - Serge Lutens
    Avignon, Kyoto and Ouarzazate - CDG

Cuir Pleine Fleur - Heeley
    Chaos &
    Black Cashmere - Donna Karan
    Hotel Costes - Costes
    Cuir de Russie &
    Sycomore - Chanel exclusifs
    Nostalgia - SMN
    Cuir Beluga - Guerlain
    Tuscan Leather - Tom Ford
    Knize Ten - Knize
    Cuir Lancome - Lancome
    Cuir Ottoman - Parfum d'Empire
    Tabac Blond - Caron

Your posts are so full of suggestions, this will be my list to start with...I'll have to make my way through these first. Thank you everyone, for taking the time to post your faves for me.

Ubu, I'd be pleased to furnish you with samples of Durbano Rock Crystal and Byredo Encens. Just PM me your addy again please

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I'm already compiling my list...the plan is to start this leather & incense quest during the basenotes worldwide meet up in about 2 more weeks. Being in Chicago will afford me a grand opportunity to do some mass sampling! :bounce:I'll also be able to hear direct input from my fellow basenoters :wave:so Quarry, get ready to throw your two cents at me!!!

Galamb_Borong - Bandit smells sour to me as well . I've noticed in your posts that we share some similar perceptions so I'll be taking extra careful notes on your suggestions !

kess, I will most definitely sample Sycomore...it's already on my list!

Please add more ideas for me, and thanks again you guys!
    Which version of Bandit did you try? I think the EDT is just utterly fantastic! It's one of those fragrances that when I wear it, I just can't stop sniffing myself.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Which version of Bandit did you try? I think the EDT is just utterly fantastic! It's one of those fragrances that when I wear it, I just can't stop sniffing myself.
    It was a long time ago, and from memory it was probably the edp. If YOU enjoy it that much, I'll be sure to give the edt a try!

For me the best leather scent is Dzing! by L'Artisan. Dzonkgha, mentioned here a few times seems to be more spicy than leathery.

As for incenses, I can recommed two scents: Messe de Minuit by Etro (can be tricky, in high temperatures a bit of camphor comes out) and Incense by Villoressi. Speaking of incences by Comme des Garcons, none of them really smells incense for me. But with CdG scents I seem to have a problem - it seems that my nose smells here something that nobody else can smell. Carrots, some mystery potions, smell of a burning tyre...

My favs for leather: Hermes Kelly Caleche, Vivienne Westwood Anglomania and MPGs Magnolia Pourpre.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Great thread. Almost makes me wish for fall weather (but just almost).

My fave incense is Bond No.9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory. For leather I'd go with Tabac Blond.

I really need to explore these notes more.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

My favourite leather is Tabac Blond.
    Favourite incense has to be Ambre Sultan.

Oh yes.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I don't have a favorite incense frag. But as for leather, it's Chanel's Cuir de Russie hands down! The leather in it is refined and soft and is blended so skillfully with the floral notes.

Blog Entries

Thanks for bumping this thread, Theodora! l am currently exploring leathers & incenses myself, & there are lots of very interesting recs here. Some l have tried, some l have in a Luckyscent order that l'm currently awaiting, & some l'll need to try soon!

So far, my favourite leather by far is Rien, followed by Cuir Ottoman.

My favourite incense is Le Maroc pour Elle; more of a headshop than a churchy incense. l also enjoy Ubar, & l get a lot of incense from Habanita EDT; l'm wearing it right now, & it's beautiful!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    !

YAY! I'm so happy teardrop

I'll +1 on these, and I recently tried Bois D'Ombrie which is a leather/tobacco/incense - very impressive work. Full review here

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks for bumping this thread, Theodora! l am currently exploring leathers & incenses myself, & there are lots of very interesting recs here. Some l have tried, some l have in a Luckyscent order that l'm currently awaiting, & some l'll need to try soon!

My favourite incense is Le Maroc pour Elle; more of a headshop than a churchy incense. l also enjoy Ubar, & l get a lot of incense from Habanita EDT; l'm wearing it right now, & it's beautiful!
    I'm so with you on Ubar! I have the remains of a vintage bottle & it's a definite love for me. It was the first bottle of "the good stuff" I ever purchased for myself!

I've wondered about purchasing Habanita for a while now. I had a vintage mini several years ago & remember that I liked it very much. Is the current scent a worthwhile buy or has it been destroyed by reformulation?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    YAY! I'm so happy teardrop

I'll +1 on these, and I recently tried Bois D'Ombrie which is a leather/tobacco/incense - very impressive work. Full review here
    Hee! Thanks for this review freddie, this one sounds interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    I'm so with you on Ubar! I have the remains of a vintage bottle & it's a definite love for me. It was the first bottle of "the good stuff" I ever purchased for myself!

I've wondered about purchasing Habanita for a while now. I had a vintage mini several years ago & remember that I liked it very much. Is the current scent a worthwhile buy or has it been destroyed by reformulation?
    l have read widely varying reports on the reformulation, but haven't tried it myself. The EDT is still available on ebay, so if you loved it l would snap some up while you still can!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Best leathers, IMO:

Cuir Ottoman (again)
    Cuir de Lancome
    Azuree
    Aramis
    Bandit
    Jolie Madame
    Tabac Blond
    Cuir Mauresque

Best incense:

CDG Avignon
    By Killian Sweet Redemption
    Caron Parfum Sacre
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm loving incense right now... here are some of my current faves:

Guerlain Encens Mythique d'Orient
    By Kilian Incense Oud
    Byredo Encens Chembur
    SL Encens et Lavande
    Caron Parfum Sacre
    Etro Shaal Nur
    SSS Incense Pure
    Amouage Lyric
    Tauer Incense Rose and Incense Extreme