Code of Conduct

Default A musty, dusty white, aquatic floral

I am looking for a perfume that can become my new signature scent. Don't judge, but mine has always been Ralph Lauren Blue (for women). I LOVE it, but I want to broaden my horizons and the scent is discontinued (or at least harder to find). After spending hours on this site and various blogs, I joined, hoping to learn more. I am relatively new at perfumes; however, I think this is because I simply am turned off by most of them. I don't know if this is because I live in the U.S. and the perfumes here are "sweeter" and laden with vanilla, or simply because I haven't exposed myself to good perfumes. Probably a little bit of both aspects apply in my case.

What I do know is that I am really turned off by fruity scents and some florals, I tend to like white florals, I like aquatics and unisex perfumes, I like some citrus, greens, and clean scents (even medicinal ones) - but not too much sour, or herbal-ness, or soapy-ness, respectively. I love woodsy scents like oakmoss, ambrette seed, vetiver (not so much on the patchouli) but not if they are overwhelming. Orientals are okay, and I like warm spiciness in very small amounts, but I'm out on vanilla or cinnamon or clove! I am becoming familiar with the Chypre-style of perfumes and I think this style fits me the best, but I'm really not sure.

Overall, I wan't a scent that combines my favorite elements, and perhaps becomes more than the sum of its parts. It must be strong yet feminine, alluring but not overpowering. I'm not the kind of woman to read beauty magazines or go to a shopping mall, and typically am turned off by the sorts of perfumes I associate with those things. I'm the kind of young woman who can jetset across the country, attend a benefit event at a museum before hopping on the bus and to take shots at a dive bar across town, and then happily spend the evening lounging on a beach listening to the surf - all before flying back home to transplant seedlings, go fly-fishing, or feed the horses on my farm. What I am trying to say is that I'm a Jane of trades, and I would like a perfume to match my personality.

Can anyone help me broaden my horizons and develop, or cultivate, a nose? It'd also be lovely to find a new signature scent while I'm at it. I understand that complex perfumes may incorporate scents that I don't like, but in such a way that melts with the other ingredients, becoming something greater. If that makes sense. All the same, here's a list of every day scents I like:

Bergamot
    Lemon
    Grapefruit
    Lily of the Valley
    Peony (I think, but am truly not sure)
    Lotus
    Orange Blossom
    Tuberose - (in small amounts)
    Gardenia (in small amounts)
    Hydrangea
    Geranium
    Ginger
    Honeydew (in small amounts)
    Apple (in small amounts)
    Nectarine (in small amounts)
    Coriander
    Auracacia or tea tree
    White Tea
    Celery
    Leather
    Cedar
    Oakmoss
    Ambrette Seed
    Amber (in small amounts)
    Vetiver (in small amounts)
    Musty old libraries
    Dusty smell that happens when it rains for the first time in a long time, i.e. the smell of rainstorms in the Southwest states (my favorite smell)
    Air conditioner smell
    Mossy-antique-y smell in fake flower departments of craft stores like Hobby Lobby
    The smell of a forest during a fog

Default Re: A musty, dusty white, aquatic floral

I think you will really enjoy Un Matin D'Orage by Annick Goutal.
    I can't pretend its very strong - it is at first but it quietens very quickly but if it hits your clothes it's with you all day subtly which is nice.
    It opens with an aquatic, clean gardenia bush, with some delicate ozonic greenery surrounding it.
    As it settles the bizarre aquatic notes hang around but the gardenia turns more into a fig leaf fragrance.
    The scent is designed to smell like gardenias after a thunderstorm - it fits that perfectly, but then it turns into a fig, but not a dense, thick coconut fig - much more translucent - it's quite hard to describe (basically it's the aromachemical stemone).

Carnal Flower. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I think you will really enjoy Un Matin D'Orage by Annick Goutal.
    I can't pretend its very strong - it is at first but it quietens very quickly but if it hits your clothes it's with you all day subtly which is nice.
    It opens with an aquatic, clean gardenia bush, with some delicate ozonic greenery surrounding it.
    As it settles the bizarre aquatic notes hang around but the gardenia turns more into a fig leaf fragrance.
    The scent is designed to smell like gardenias after a thunderstorm - it fits that perfectly, but then it turns into a fig, but not a dense, thick coconut fig - much more translucent - it's quite hard to describe (basically it's the aromachemical stemone).
    forfreddie,

Thank you for your reply. Truthfully speaking, I have read your blog over and over the last few days in attempts to learn more about perfumes and to find one I'll like. Needless to say, I think its pretty fantastic that you replied to my post. I am ordering Un Matin D'Orage and eager to try it. Your blog is pretty rad, and I think you have the ability to render a good comprehension, or even a canny sense of smell, of the fragrances that you review. I'm definitely a novice, and blogs like yours have encouraged my new-found interest in the art of perfumes. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

chili_willi,

thank you for your advice! I will add Carnal Flower to my list of fragrances to try.

Quote Originally Posted by desertclouds View Post
    forfreddie,

Thank you for your reply. Truthfully speaking, I have read your blog over and over the last few days in attempts to learn more about perfumes and to find one I'll like. Needless to say, I think its pretty fantastic that you replied to my post. I am ordering Un Matin D'Orage and eager to try it. Your blog is pretty rad, and I think you have the ability to render a good comprehension, or even a canny sense of smell, of the fragrances that you review. I'm definitely a novice, and blogs like yours have encouraged my new-found interest in the art of perfumes. Thank you!
    Ahhh that's so so nice to hear Thanks for reading, and the kind words - I appreciate it so so much.
    Well, I was only a novice a year or so back! In writing about fragrance at least.
    Did you go full bottle blind on the Goutal or just a sample? I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Always handy to carry around a little bit of it in a sample spray vial to touch up throughout the day. But, it fits your description pretty perfectly.
    Carnal flower is a great one to try - I wouldn't describe it as aquatic but it definitely has a cool, green vibe with the fresh earth underneath and the eucalyptus up top. But the floral in the heart is overwhelmingly loud - only enjoyable if you love tuberose (which I do) - still, a nice recommendation.
    But yes, please keep in touch and let us know how you like it

If you may like to branch out into male scents- actually the ones quite close to being unisex, I may recommend Fahrenheit 32. While a male scent indeed, it is not overly manly, and has most or all of the preferred notes you listed: citrus-check, vanilla-check, a certain mustiness-check (even some male friends complained about it), aquatic-check, a certain translucent musky-mossy note, almost close to a summer version of a chypre-check again, orange blossom-check, even a certain closeness to a bit rarer, not that common notes, like: even leather and an almost salty and soapy note of celery (can celery be soapy and slightly salty at the same time, well, to my nose and in this scent, I'd say it is), again to be found in this scent.

Enjoy testing!
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 4th October 2012 at 09:16 PM.

Hi - desertclouds, it sounds like you have a great sense of self - wonderful! Also, you've been busy doing your research - good for you. I don't have any great ideas of a particular perfume, I'm not big on florals, but I know you'll get some very good recommendations from others here. I totally agree with you on the sweet and fruity perfumes, awful! I think you'll find that they aren't very popular on here at all - have fun on Basenotes!

Banned

Try:

Lys Mediterranee by Frederic Malle - Upon application, one is treated to a saline, oceanic breeze, majestically wafting among the cool greeness of dew-kissed lily of the valley, the breathtaking sweetness of Madonna lily, and the peppery, spicy and rooty character of ginger. This somewhat fresh illusion to a growing lily, in bloom, drifts to the heart. Here, a herbal angelica, with its green and woody, pine-like facet, envelops the opening. A wonderful orange blossom contributes its somewhat indolic and earthy sweetness. And, a beguiling water lily imparts its stale wine and faintly waxy character. Segueing to the base, a mild musk, with woody and floral as well as slight animalic facets, interplays with a subdued, vanillic semi-sweetness. A pleasing drydown ensues. This easy and somewhat elegant composition will shine in the spring and summer, and has good projection and very good longevity.

&

Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons - a somewhat cold and metallic scent, which augurs an astringent and detached, futuristic vibe, reminiscent of isolated indifference.
    Initially one is treated to an icy verdancy from violet leaf, akin to grass clippings with a nuance of greenness from cucumber. A cool, mineral accord, akin to iron shavings and weathered peebles, swirls about. And, magical aldehydes impart their soapiness and effervescence. Transitioning to the heart, an antiseptic clove infuses the fresh opening with its smoky spiciness and a faint, charred-wood nuance. After a bit, a floral melange of sweetly spicy, vanillic carnation, sweet velvety rose, tutti-fruitti jasmine and powdery, cherry-vanilla heliotrope encase the scent, and segues to the awaiting base. Guiacwood, with its honeyed-rose sweetness as well as smoky and rubber nuances, commingles with black cumin with its pungent spiciness and hint of strawberry. An earthy vetiver, with its grassy and clumped dirt vibe, presents. And, a clean aldehyde sweeps in with its freshly-laundered linen aspect. A somewhat enigmatic drydown ensues. This unique and unisex composition has average projection and longevity, 6-7 hours.

&

Dependent

Carnal Flower
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond