Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Basenotes Las Vegas Meetup October 5, 6 & 7th 2012 FINAL ITINERARY

Well it's almost FRIDAY so we wanted to list the Final Itinerary for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. You will notice I modified the times at the Guerlain boutique on Saturday (half an hour is just **not enough**) and we changed Sunday's destinations also.

I'm very excited about meeting all of you participants, in person for the first time!!

So here's it is:

Friday 10/5

6:00pm- 8:00pm - Skins 6 | 2 - Cosmopolitan

Skins 6 | 2 is located at The Cosmopolitan Hotel, 3708 Las Vegas Boulevard South
    Las Vegas, NV 89109 - here is a link to Map/Directions: http://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/...-location.aspx

Here is an email that I received from Skins 6 | 2, about the lines that they feature:

From: Isabella Iordache [mailto:isabellaiordache@gmail.com]
    Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 9:02 PM
    To: Mike Perez
    Subject: Skins 6|2 Frangrances

Hi Mike, here's a list of the fragrances we carry at Skins 6|2:

-By Kilian
    -Atelier Cologne
    -Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    -Juliette Has a Gun
    -Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    -Hanae Mori
    -Costume National
    -Apothia
    -Serge Lutens
    -Creed
    -Nest
    -Diptyque

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Isabella Iordache

Saturday 10/6

10:00-12:00 - Barneys - Palazzo Shoppes
    12:00-1:30 - Lunch - Palazzo Shoppes
    1:30-2:30 - Guerlain - Palazzo Shoppes
    2:30-3:30 - Dior - Palazzo Shoppes

Saturday is our busiest day and so if you are considering joining us and can only fit in one day, I would go with Saturday, for sure.

The Shoppes at The Palazzo are located at 3325 South Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV, link to Map/Directions here: http://www.theshoppesatthepalazzo.com/ (scroll down to the very bottom of the page & click the 'Get Directions' button.

Barney's sent us this email, letting us know that they'll have coffee and goodies for all attendees...cool, huh!?:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:38 PM
    Subject: Fragrance at Barneys in Las Vegas

Dear Mike,

I hope this finds you well. I just wanted to confirm that you and your friends will be here at Barneys this Saturday October 6th at 10:00am. As I mentioned when we spoke, I want to make this fragrance experience something memorable for all of you. We will serve coffee, tea and pastries.

Also, I contacted Editions de Parfums by Frederic Malle and they will send a guest speaker from Chicago. She is a very knowledgeable person. I tried to get Mr Malle to come to Las Vegas that day and talk to all of us about his fragrances but he had a prior commitment.

Please let me know about how many people will be here that day and if you have any ideas or special requests for that day. We will have our get together at a private mezzanine here in the store

Kind Regards,

Raul Delgado
    Editions De Parfums Frederic Malle
    Apothecary Business Manager
    Barneys New York
    Las Vegas, Nevada 89119
    3327 Las Vegas Blvd. South
    Phone: (702)629-4308
    Fax: (702)629-4383
    After that we will have lunch (either together as a group, or separate, let's leave that up to whatever you want, from Noon - 1:30, then back to The Shoppes for the Guerlain boutique. Guerlain sent us this email, in anticipation of our arrival:

From: Guerlain Palazzo STORE [mailto:GuerlainPalazzo.STORE@lvmhuspc.com]
    Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 11:25 PM
    Subject: Re: Basenotes - Guerlain

Hello Mr Perez,

Everyone here at Guerlain is anxiously awaiting you and the rest of the Basenotes guests to arrive. There are some noteworthy pieces available here at the Palazzo that I think the Basenote members would be excited to know about.

For those that are excited for the latest offerings from Guerlain:

1. Shanghai

2. La Petite Robe Noire - You will also be able preview the exclusive size available later this year at the event.

3. The Desert D'Orient Collection- Songe D'Un Bois D'Ete, Rose Nacree Du Desert, and Encens Mythique D'Orient

4. Shalimar Ode a la Vanille- A new addition to the Shalimar legend.

For those that are interested in some limited edition or numbered pieces:

1. View the "Guerlain Heritage Case," a coffret celebrating 180 years of fragrance making history.

2. View the "Giant" (2000ML) Shalimar Parfum Initial

3. Preview the scent for "L'Abeille Aux Ailes Argent Reve De Lune" or "The Bee with the Silver Wings Moon Dream".

We look forward to welcoming you and your group of fellow fragrance lovers into the House of Guerlain. I've also attached some photos and information about the pieces you'll be viewing. See you soon!

Sincerely,

Johnathan Nieto
    Fragrance Ambassador

Guerlain The Shoppes at the Palazzo
    702.732.7008 Toll Free 866-409-6110
    guerlainpalazzo.store@lvmhuspc.com
    Finally, after that we will head over to the Christian Dior boutique, for our final destination of the day and even more fragrances / refreshments. Dior will have sample bags for all attendees, as well as wine (red/white & champagne) and chocolates to munch on while we shop. Here's the email from our Host, Massiel Cofino (a Basenotes member also - her screen name is massy03):

From: Dior Palazzo STORE [mailtoiorPalazzo.STORE@lvmhuspc.com]
    Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 7:30 PM
    Cc:
    Subject: Re: Basenotes at Dior boutique confirmation

Hi Mike!

It was great finally getting the chance to chat with you. We're excited to host this for your group in our store.

Yes, we have the entire collection, all 13 of the La Collection, so you'll have the experience to see them all at once. And yes, we also carry the Eau Sauvage Parfum as well as the Dior Homme Intense that is limited distribution.

If you have any questions before then, give me a call or shoot me an email! If not, I will see you guys in October.
    Kind Regards,
    Massiel Cofino
    Dior
    The Shoppes at the Palazzo
    3327 Las Vegas Blvd S Ste:2953
    Las Vegas, NV 89109
    Main: (702) 734 - 1102
    Fax: (702) 734 - 1247
    Sunday 10/7

Morning - free time
    12:00 (noon) - 1:30 pm Lunch and Sample Swap at The Food Court @ The Fashion Show Mall
    1:30 - 3:30 - Saks Fifth Avenue & Nordstroms
    Afternoon - Free time

The Food Court (located in Level 3) in The Fashion Show Mall is located at 3200 Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV - link to Map/Directions here: http://www.thefashionshow.com/ (Just click the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'Get Directions'). The Sample Swap is very simple and it was a lot of fun last year at the Basenotes Meetup in New Orleans - just bring all of the fragrance samples that you do not want anymore and feel free to swap them with your fellow Basenoters.

Saks Fifth Avenue and/or Nordstrom's will be the only pre-arranged shopping destinations this day (although anyone is more than welcome to explore the other stores on their own). There is no pre-arranged meeting with these stores, but the Basenotes group is planning on shopping/browsing together and we will allow this day to be less planned out and more flexible/casual.

The End!

A handy map, of ALL of the locations mentioned above, can be viewed here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...72da825b&msa=0

Please let me know if you have any questions, by posting in this thread.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Basenotes Las Vegas Meetup October 5, 6 & 7th 2012 FINAL ITINERARY

I believe there is also a Neiman Marcus at the Fashion Show Mall (Sunday).

The Vegas trip sound like a great time! Have fun and good luck to all those who will be going!

wow. wow. sounds amazing! mike, let me know your impressions of Shanghai, will you? My dad's hometown and I have such romantic notions of it...curious about Guerlain's interpretation.
    godspeed, all! lots of photos, please.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    wow. wow. sounds amazing! mike, let me know your impressions of Shanghai, will you? My dad's hometown and I have such romantic notions of it...curious about Guerlain's interpretation.
    godspeed, all! lots of photos, please.
    What my girlfriend said: photos!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

That's a lot of work and emailed proof, MP. Thanks for everything you are doing here for our people.

Basenotes Plus

i'm practically hyperventilating from excitement....aieeeee. Mike and matildaben, you have outdone yourselves!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I really hope y'all have a fantastic meetup. If I could have made things work out with my directing and teaching duties I would be joining you. But have fun, and I look forward to reading about your adventures soon.

Feel free to bring any samples that you want to swap/give away. We will be having the sample swap on Sunday.

Wishing you all a wonderful time, safe journey, and happy sniffing! Looking forward to reading all about it and seeing the pics.

Basenotes Institution

We'll miss all of you NOLA-gals & guys.

I'm getting ready to go to bed since I have an early a.m. flight to Vegas tomorrow morning, so I will check in here once I'm in Sin City!

And I promise I will take a lot of photos ((note to self: charge my iPhone!!))

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Very excited! We have dual back-ups on the cameras, too - both my wife and I will be taking pictures.

I am also looking forward to sniffing the new Shanghai. I thought that London was very well-done, so I'm expecting good things.

Samples!!! OMG - I've got 'em. I'll bring 'em. I'm also bringing a bunch of empty vials and atomizers, so people can make up samples to share from any new acquisitions.

PS to Auntie Knit - Big K is on the way!

summer means fireflys

Safe travels to all ... and have a GREAT time!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Thanks, shades!!! And we started off with a bang. I won't spoil Mike's write-up, but let me just post a couple of teaser pictures from our first store, Skins 6|2.

Here is one RP, googl.plex1, one Mrs. RP, and googl.plex's gram, hanging out with the niche!

(Guess which one of the four is the high-rollin' gambler..... )

Here is one Mike Perez (and I'm saving the *great* picture that came after this!!!)....

Plenty on the agenda tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep!

Those are great, Red! I'm looking forward to the rest. Enjoy, everyone!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Plenty on the agenda tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep!
    The thought bubble of this photo would be: "why do they make all of the Santa Maria Novella look the same!!!"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The thought bubble of this photo would be: "why do they make all of the Santa Maria Novella look the same!!!"
    lol! I have one Santa Maria Novella, Citta di Kyoto...gorgeous, translucent aura of a scent. It's presence in my collection is early evidence of my love for iris notes...

living vicariously through y'all! nice photos, Redneck Perfumisto
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

OMG - I was thinking exactly the same thing as Mike when I looked at those. LOL!

Thanks, lily and Renee! Here are some more teasers....

My wife and Raul at Barney's....

....and all my buddies on the C.B. Untitled thread - O.M.G. - you will *never* believe what fragrance my wife discovered out of all the niche here that she loved, and actually dragged me over to smell (and which she had never paid any attention to at home, due to ignoring me the last month.....)

L'Etrog.

I was, like, - "Ahem, you aren't gonna believe this......"

A then a wild-and-crazy BN lunch!!!

...and just a hint of the great time we had at Guerlain (you will have to wait for the fragrance report!!!)....

OK. I will admit it. We had some champagne!

...and that's not to mention Dior!

MUST. GET. SOME. SLEEP.

Very nice to see familiar faces -- Warum, Hi! Hi, Matts!

Who is attending?

Group shots?
    Last edited by Twolf; 7th October 2012 at 12:43 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Argh! Oh, you're just killing me here! Craving me some Basenoters big time! You honeys have any idea how much I luvs yous?

(BTW, I like googl.plex's gram's dress with the trendy variations on b&w patterns.)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

oh boy oh boy, just look at those smiles - they are the real deal - so great to see, I can feel the happy, fragrant energy from here! Thanks for taking the time out in the midst of your agenda to post these teasers. Everyone looks beautiful - special hi to knit, daahh - link! you look divine!

More, more!! ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Very nice to see familiar faces -- Warum, Hi! Hi, Matts!

Who is attending?

Group shots?
    Hiya Twolf! I'm kinda saving the great group shots for Mike's final write-up. But here's the list of folks we've had...

(please forgive me if I forgot anybody...)

Friday night:

Warum
    matildaben
    mikeperez23
    knit-at-night
    googl.plex1
    TJMAC
    Redneck Perfumisto

Warum
    matildaben
    knit-at-night
    googl.plex1
    mikeperez23
    Shiny Beast
    Al Gae
    Redneck Perfumisto

A lot of us have had our spouses there, too.

They tend to float in and out of the fragrance feeding frenzy. Wimps!

Today is our big sample swap! Should be a good time. Gotta get ready to roll.....

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Argh! Oh, you're just killing me here! Craving me some Basenoters big time! You honeys have any idea how much I luvs yous?

(BTW, I like googl.plex's gram's dress with the trendy variations on b&w patterns.)
    Yeah, she's pretty snazzy. She really impressed my wife!

Wish you were here, too. Don't worry, Quarry. I swear that I've already heard some Paris talk!

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    oh boy oh boy, just look at those smiles - they are the real deal - so great to see, I can feel the happy, fragrant energy from here! Thanks for taking the time out in the midst of your agenda to post these teasers. Everyone looks beautiful - special hi to knit, daahh - link! you look divine!
    I'll be sure to let knit know! Yeah, we're having fun. Still blown away by multiple fragrances!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    More, more!! ♥
    That's a big 10-4, amiga! We'll be sure to post some more later today!

OK - HERE WE GO!!!!!!!

Loving the photos, RP! As rtamara already said, you can feel the love and excitement in each frame! Glad everyone is having a fabulous time together.

Basenotes Plus

Ah mes amis, what a good time at the meet-up! I left Warum, mike, matildaben & Al Gae still sniffing at Neiman Marcus around 3:15 pm and just arrived home after my 5.5 hour drive. I do have tomorrow off work for Columbus Day so will hopefully write up some impressions of some of the new things I sniffed (and bought- at retail- which is soooo unusual for me, so you know the scent souvenirs were special to me).

wish you all could have been there!!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Can't wait to read all about it and see the pics, Knit. I'm glad you arrived home safely after your drive. xo

Thoroughly enjoying your trip guys! You all look glowing with excitment! Looking forward to hearing more.

Blog Entries

Just got home myself - and that "red eye" flight is *so* appropriately named!

We had an awesome time at the sample swap, and all sorts of unloved samples got rescued by new owners! We got to share some very cool sniffs, too. Wish I could have stayed for the final shopping spree, but my wife wanted to see Red Rocks again, although this time the hiking was much less intense than the last time.

I'm still a bit blown away by the whole thing. It has really changed my view of fragrance. In a good way. But I feel like I want to be more of a participant - more of a "perfume lover", as the book is called - and less of a critic and an observer. I have things I want to say - things that are struggling to make their way out - and now I have to say them. I want to *feel* fragrance - not just think about it.

I bought some new scents, and I want to get into them deeply. REALLY deeply. TOO deeply. I just feel like my view of fragrance has changed somehow, and I need to understand it. I can't wait to get started on this new chapter of my fragrant life, that somehow happened because of this get-together.

Great photos! I'm posting on mobile so can't type a lot. I will report more and post photos from the sample swap when I get home.

Glad all who are home got home safe!

I'm still a bit blown away by the whole thing. It has really changed my view of fragrance. In a good way. But I feel like I want to be more of a participant - more of a "perfume lover", as the book is called - and less of a critic and an observer. I have things I want to say - things that are struggling to make their way out - and now I have to say them. I want to *feel* fragrance - not just think about it.

I bought some new scents, and I want to get into them deeply. REALLY deeply. TOO deeply. I just feel like my view of fragrance has changed somehow, and I need to understand it. I can't wait to get started on this new chapter of my fragrant life, that somehow happened because of this get-together.
    Red, I share your feeling of wanting to feel the fragrance and get into it deeply, and not feel obligated to think too much about it; of being a participant, and not a voyeur. What else is fragrance for but to experience deeply? Over the past couple of years or so I have sampled hundreds of fragrances. Few of them have captivated me on that level you speak of. There have been fragrances that I have admired, have loved for a time, but when I find one that totally captivates me it is a rare occasion and I like to enjoy it to the utmost, and analyzing it does not contribute to the visceral or even a spiritual enjoyment. Naming things separates us from them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Great photos! I'm posting on mobile so can't type a lot. I will report more and post photos from the sample swap when I get home.

Glad all who are home got home safe!
    Very glad you got some photos of the swap, matildaben! I forgot completely, and so did my wife!

- - - Updated - - -

Red, I share your feeling of wanting to feel the fragrance and get into it deeply, and not feel obligated to think too much about it; of being a participant, and not a voyeur. What else is fragrance for but to experience deeply? Over the past couple of years or so I have sampled hundreds of fragrances. Few of them have captivated me on that level you speak of. There have been fragrances that I have admired, have loved for a time, but when I find one that totally captivates me it is a rare occasion and I like to enjoy it to the utmost, and analyzing it does not contribute to the visceral or even a spiritual enjoyment. Naming things separates us from them.
    TOTALLY!!!

Just got home myself - and that "red eye" flight is *so* appropriately named!

We had an awesome time at the sample swap, and all sorts of unloved samples got rescued by new owners! We got to share some very cool sniffs, too. Wish I could have stayed for the final shopping spree, but my wife wanted to see Red Rocks again, although this time the hiking was much less intense than the last time.

I am captivated by this statement Red. I hope that you will be good enough to share some of what you have learned with us!

rubbing hands together with gleeful anticipation

I made it back safe and sound myself last night. Had a great time and it was a pleasure to meet all the basenoters who were able to attend. It's funny how excited we all were to meet each other - it's clear that we're a rare breed and it's hard to find others in real life who we can totally geek out about fragrances with.

I was showing my haul to my room-mate, when she asked me "When are you going to wear all that stuff?" My response was "Well, this Santal 33 I'll wear on a nice fall day...", she says, "No - don't you have enough bottles? You'll never finish it all!" Some people just don't get it...

I want to *feel* fragrance - not just think about it.
    I believe you do, amigo. Look in the mirror sometime when you're smelling a scent strip. You get such a great look on your face when you smell something you like - it's obvious you're feeling it. At least, you're well on your way; maybe you just need to figure out how to communicate it (always so difficult for Men to communicate feelings!)... BTW, I'm wearing my Guerlain Homme Intense today and loving it, thanks again for the recommendation!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Redneck, Lilybelle -- I feel ya ... (figuratively, of course ... darn).

I have always had a deep appreciation for the way you express yourself, Redneck.

Blog Entries

I've been thinking about this some more, lily, and I think this is the time for me to really enjoy the fragrances that I bought in Las Vegas this time.

All of the fragrances I bought were ones that really jumped out at me. They're things that clearly captured me on the spot. I didn't pick up anything that wasn't terribly impressive to either me or my wife, or both. I feel like I almost *owe* it to them to really spend time with them, and get to know every single facet.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I am captivated by this statement Red. I hope that you will be good enough to share some of what you have learned with us!
    I'm going to do my best, Foustie! I've had so many thoughts bubbling up during and after this experience. A small part of it comes from having read most of Jean-Claude Ellena's book on the plane out to Las Vegas. So much truth, and so many great thoughts that I think mesh perfectly with what we tend to think. The trip only confirmed what that started.

But the real thing that changed me was meeting the largest group of non-industry fragrance people I ever met in a single place. We had to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to get together. It was immediately apparent that we're a product of the internet. And while we make perfect sense to each other, we make almost no sense outside of our own little world. We make some kind of sense to the industry, and probably have - as a class of customers - since time immemorial. But we've never had any large-scale structure otherwise. I feel like something interesting and powerful emerges here, and I want to not just understand it - I want to feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    I made it back safe and sound myself last night. Had a great time and it was a pleasure to meet all the basenoters who were able to attend. It's funny how excited we all were to meet each other - it's clear that we're a rare breed and it's hard to find others in real life who we can totally geek out about fragrances with.
    Yes, it was wonderful to spend time with other people for whom I don't require any explanation!!!

I was showing my haul to my room-mate, when she asked me "When are you going to wear all that stuff?" My response was "Well, this Santal 33 I'll wear on a nice fall day...", she says, "No - don't you have enough bottles? You'll never finish it all!" Some people just don't get it...
    I hear you! Sometimes I want to explain to people that fragrance is a metaphor for life. It should not be a chore - something that we finish because we simply have to finish it - even though this is a perfectly possible way to live, or to use a fragrance. It should be something beautiful to experience, and to share with others - abundantly.

I believe you do, amigo. Look in the mirror sometime when you're smelling a scent strip. You get such a great look on your face when you smell something you like - it's obvious you're feeling it. At least, you're well on your way; maybe you just need to figure out how to communicate it (always so difficult for Men to communicate feelings!)... BTW, I'm wearing my Guerlain Homme Intense today and loving it, thanks again for the recommendation!
    Thanks for that! I agree - I think I need to start getting back to not just feeling it, but saying what I feel.

Awesome to hear that you're loving that GHI! There are days when I smell that stuff, and I just want to buy Thierry Wasser the biggest, coldest, and most expensive beer that money can buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Redneck, Lilybelle -- I feel ya ... (figuratively, of course ... darn).

I have always had a deep appreciation for the way you express yourself, Redneck.
    Thanks, Quarry. I'm going to try to have faith in that.

Anyway - more coming. Lots more. There is so much to talk about. I'm just going to touch on some of it, to keep the fires warm for Mike's trip report.

I was glad I was able to hangout and meet everybody on Saturday, had a good time. It was cool to see that sort of enthusiasm in action and put some faces to names. Just out of curiosity, how would y'all rate the shopping in Vegas on a scale of 1 to 10?

Thanks for sharing your revelations with us, folks. Please show/tell us what you all have got.

MP, have you made it home all right?

RP, I have always thought it was an undercurrent going on here on the Ladies' forum -- just read our SotD threads! We DO, as a smaller tighter group, being different in our fragrance perceptions, share love and appreciation and respect to one another with no shame or explanation needed. .

It was immediately apparent that we're a product of the internet. And while we make perfect sense to each other, we make almost no sense outside of our own little world...Yes, it was wonderful to spend time with other people for whom I don't require any explanation!!!
    RP, I have always thought it was an undercurrent going on here on the Ladies' forum -- just read our SotD threads! We DO, as a smaller tighter group, being different in our fragrance perceptions, share love and appreciation and respect to one another with no shame or explanation needed. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I was glad I was able to hangout and meet everybody on Saturday, had a good time. It was cool to see that sort of enthusiasm in action and put some faces to names.
    All of the above accounts for my addiction to Basenotes...the meetups cement it. Yes, the Female Fragrance Board is Basenotes' best not-quite-so-well-kept secret -- although I am biased. I'm loving this thread, and I can't wait to see more pictures and read more about it.

Blog Entries

Me too, me too.
    Made it home today after a late evening flight and then a drive home punctuated by a hotel room on campus. Mr W stays there for a two-day work meeting (argh) and I made it home to plunge myself into work I skipped on Friday and Monday (no Columbus day for me!).

Sadly, I took no pictures of people, stores or perfume -- but I hope to be able to make and post some pics of the Vegas fume haul.

Is this our talk about the trip thread? Or should I go some place else for that?

- - - Updated - - -

I was glad I was able to hangout and meet everybody on Saturday, had a good time. It was cool to see that sort of enthusiasm in action and put some faces to names. Just out of curiosity, how would y'all rate the shopping in Vegas on a scale of 1 to 10?
    And it was fantastic to meet you too!
    It would be a little difficult to rate because in some cases I could feel the hospitality, which was amazing, but the place itself did not work for me because of size, layout, etc. I will try to post more details tomorrow, but if I go for rating it would be up there in As and A+s.

Thank you all for sharing your meetup! I've enjoyed this vicarious experience & know that I have to join in with everyone on a meetup next year. I can only imagine the thrill of sniffing, chatting & splurging on scents with companions who understand!!

Redneck Perfumisto, Thank you for sharing your personal experience. As a novice, I can't wait for my own journey to unfold. BTW,you look just like the wonderful veterinarian that takes care of my crew.

Basenotes Institution

I'm home and exhausted! Full report tomorrow night, I promise!!

-- Jack Kerouac

Great, can't wait, do please!

Blog Entries

Yes, it was awesome to hang out with you in person! Really a ton of fun!

If I had to reserve 10 for Paris, I would call both New York City and Las Vegas a 9 or 9+. New York wins on more niche and old-school, ritzy department-store presentation, but Las Vegas has the advantage on proximity, oozing luxury, and carnival atmosphere. I mean, the whole thing had the feel of a launch party.

Thanks for sharing your revelations with us, folks. Please show/tell us what you all have got.

Thanks, Twolf. I agree, the ladies' side here is actually what the meet-up felt like - despite the fact that we had an excess of dudes. I credit that wonderful atmosphere to our leadership, Mike and matildaben, who made sure that tone persisted throughout the experience.

All of the above accounts for my addiction to Basenotes...the meetups cement it. Yes, the Female Fragrance Board is Basenotes' best not-quite-so-well-kept secret -- although I am biased. I'm loving this thread, and I can't wait to see more pictures and read more about it.
    I'll dump a bunch of cool trivia and factoids after Mike gives y'all the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Me too, me too.
    Made it home today after a late evening flight and then a drive home punctuated by a hotel room on campus. Mr W stays there for a two-day work meeting (argh) and I made it home to plunge myself into work I skipped on Friday and Monday (no Columbus day for me!).

Sadly, I took no pictures of people, stores or perfume -- but I hope to be able to make and post some pics of the Vegas fume haul.

Is this our talk about the trip thread? Or should I go some place else for that?

- - - Updated - - -

And it was fantastic to meet you too!
    It would be a little difficult to rate because in some cases I could feel the hospitality, which was amazing, but the place itself did not work for me because of size, layout, etc. I will try to post more details tomorrow, but if I go for rating it would be up there in As and A+s.
    I think this is the thread for us to put everything. Hey - we're already here!

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Thank you all for sharing your meetup! I've enjoyed this vicarious experience & know that I have to join in with everyone on a meetup next year. I can only imagine the thrill of sniffing, chatting & splurging on scents with companions who understand!!

Redneck Perfumisto, Thank you for sharing your personal experience. As a novice, I can't wait for my own journey to unfold. BTW,you look just like the wonderful veterinarian that takes care of my crew.
    Hey, thanks! I know I look like somebody's dentist, too! It would be pretty funny to run into either one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm home and exhausted! Full report tomorrow night, I promise!!
    Awesome! Rest up - we'll try to be patient! I know that you had a LONG trip from Miami. It was bad enough just having a 4-hour flight. You must have been *really* tired from flying as far as you did.

And one more thing - please thank Ray for not just letting you go, but for coming along. That's a heck of a long trip, but I think he must have sensed how important this was - not just for you, but for all of us. My wife was also very appreciative of your efforts, and she admired your leadership, too!

Us all want a big (crossed out and changed into HUGE) picture, Mikie. With your husband and all the wonderfull smellies, please?

Basenotes Institution

Perhaps we should start at the beginning...

FRIDAY

Flight into LAV from MIA went smoothly, taxi over to The Venetian was quick, we checked into our off-da-hook Suite at around a little after 9:00 am and proceeded to act like little kids, jumping all over the bed, laying all over the sofa and drooling over the incredibly stocked mini bar and huge bathroom. I mean, who doesn't want to be all pimped-out in Vegas, right?

Breakfast was delicious at Bouchon (Thomas Keller's new place) and expensive (!) I took the rest of the afternoon to indulge myself at the Canyon Ranch Spa (which was just downstairs), took a gondola ride inside the Palazzo Shoppes and then took a nice long nap and a quick bite to eat because then it was time to head over to The Cosmpolitan! Ray decided to stay in for the evening so I took a taxi myself and got there a little early.

I met matildaben and mr. matildaben at amazing bar, with an immense chandelier atop it - drinks were had and we chatted a bit before we headed to Skins...

Skins is BEAUTIFUL!! Bright, modern, not too cramped and plenty of room to mingle, move around and not feel like the SA's are on top of you - a Basenoter's niche store's dream! Of course, there are not as many brands as other stores in other cities, but there was enough to make us all happy - most everyone was drawn towards the Maison Francis Kurkdjian line, the Creeds (they only have a few) and the By Kilian's.

The first Basenoters to get there were Redneck Perfumisto and Ms. RP - I recognized him before he recognized me so I gave both of them a big ol' hug. Warum and Mr. Warum were there, TJMAC showed up also with his wife. The Diva a.k.a. Knit at Nite showed up fashionably late, which was totally okay since it was HER BIRTHDAY!!! Then Googl.plex1 showed up with his very-cool grandmother. We walked around getting to know each other, sniffing when we could (the new Amyris Femme is WONDERFUL!), snapping pictures and just you know...talking.

The Skins Girls!

Mr. warum, matildaben and Mr. matildaben

Someone hiding (?), Grandma Googl.plex1 and Redneck Perfumisto and half of Googl,plex1

knit at nite, Mrs. TJMAC, TJMAC and Warum - bowing down to the By Kilian display

We spent about 1.5 hours in total in the store, I think I smelled several scents that I'd never smelled before (the new Juliette Has A Gun...Romantina, the new Water and Bamboo ones from By Kilian, the new Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris duo) and ended up walking out with some Claus Porto bath salts that I have an incredibly hard time finding in Miami (lovely almond scented - they remind me of Apres l'Ondee if Guerlain made bath salts of the scent). Some of the lines did not have the newest scents (they didn't have the newest Diptyque or Atelier Colognes, even though they had those lines). The rest of store is devoted to luxury skin care lines, makeup, masks, aromatherapy products, etc.

At the end of the evening I made sure everyone knew the schedule for Saturday, and headed out into the Friday night (note: The Cosmopolitan was on-and-popping - young, hip, fashionably dressed people everywhere!! I felt like I was in SoBe in Miami) for dinner with Ray and a bit of Vegas fun (no...I'm NOT going into details here wink, wink) before I think I crashed back at the hotel a bit before 1:00 am (when in actuality, with the jet lag, my body felt like it was 4 am - ack!).

p.s. - Redneck - I can't seem to find out how to post your pictures here, that you sent me the link for. Help!

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, your trip reports are great. I love reading them. And it was Knit's birthday!!!??? How did we miss that here? Happy belated, Knit. I know you had a good one.

Basenotes Institution

More photos! Taken by Redneck...

me, TJMAC, Googl.plex1 and matildaben

me - high on Ginestra excitement (you had to be there...)

The Warums and the matildaben's - West Side REPRESENT!!!

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Thanks for the report, Mike!

Friday night was great. I got a serious case of "objects are much farther then they appear" issue in Vegas -- everything is much further away than you think (this was my first time in Vegas, so now I know. When I visit there in 10 years after my credit recovers from the Vegas blows I will be more prepared). So I thought I was getting very late to Skins (I probably was 10 minutes late or so). But finally I found the place and made a bee-line to my familiar people in the store -- Matildaben and Misterben. They both looked fabulous and were having a great time. It was time for me to meet Mike and I just noticed that when I talked to him I underestimated his BN posts number in more than a half! 10,000 was old old news. Whoops.

As far as the lines were concerned, I made a bee-line for By Kilian to try Amber Oud. Nah, was not there. And when I sprayed Sweet Redemption on the card it was not at all what I thought it would be. I will know to approach it later. I already did smell the two Asian tale perfumes and we talked with TJMACs about the brand.

Then I planted myself near the Atelier soaps. I knew I wanted some, just was not sure which one I will go for -- my favorite, Grand Neroli, or something else. I was considering Rose Anonyme soap, but the two newest Ateliers, the Rose and the Vetiver, were not there yet, as Mike already mentioned. I finally decided on the Vanille Insensee for the Fall. I will get Grand Neroli in Spring, I am sure. Misterben was holding on to Orange Sanguine soap and Matildaben and I were exchanging the names of Ateliers that do not work for us (aptly, it was Orange Sanguine for me and Vanille Insensee for her!).

I tried Lumiere Noir by MFK. I've already tried it from a dab but wanted to spray it on and see. Ended up scrubbing it. I am sure that Lumiere Noir will find voices that will sing praises to it here though because... but I will stop right here so that I am not getting too much ahead in time

I did not have time to look at make up. But Mats, Knit and I took a look at Deborah Lippmann nail polishes and yes! found a clone for the one I was wearing on this trip -- Peridot -- in her line. It looked just like it in the box and later on Knit's nails.

I guess I needed to try Amyris on the skin because its magic was lost on paper for me. Instead, I decided to try on Acqua Universalis Forte and Costume National 21. For some reason it seems to me that the bottle was brown. When I came over to Mike to tell that we were leaving he complimented on the good smell, we both agreed it was the Costume National rather than Acqua Universalis. And with that said, we left with The Bens for dinner and a Cirque de Soleil Ka show...

Blog Entries

I had a great time that first night, too! My wife was about to lose it before it even started! She thought that the whole thing was just a scam, when we got there a few minutes early, and nobody was there. She was, like "How can you trust people on the internet? See? They don't even come to the store!!!" But then I saw Mike, and I was like - "WOO-HOO!" That was it! After that it was just like time flew by in an instant.

We got to sniff a lot of stuff - great discussions of Creed, Diptyque, and SMN. We were sniffing so many things - it was great. Our group never made it over to the Kilians, sorry to say.

I ended up getting Diptyque's Oyedo, which my wife *really* liked, and which I am fascinated with for historical reasons. It is one of the few works by Akiko Kamei, who did Caron's 3me Homme.

My wife and I spent a lot of time talking with TJMAC and his wife, and googl.plex1 and his gram, but then my wife got itchy to go, and we checked out with Oyedo.

But one last stop before the night was over - to see if I could shop at my no. 1 boutique of the trip.

Sadly, they were closed. But I still got pictures!

Now - wait until you see Saturday's pictures!!!

You are great, guys, all came together and posted about Friday. Thanks bunches: very realistic, with small off-trips (LOL @ RP's No.1 destination!), and feelings and sentiments. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Thanks, Wolfie.

Funny, Red -- I was also almost ready to lose it before it even started over getting late to the place!

Basenotes Institution

I had a great time that first night, too! My wife was about to lose it before it even started! She thought that the whole thing was just a scam, when we got there a few minutes early, and nobody was there. She was, like "How can you trust people on the internet? See? They don't even come to the store!!!" But then I saw Mike, and I was like - "WOO-HOO!" That was it!
    LOL. Hilarious...

-- Jack Kerouac

LOL!!!!! Those "internet people"!!!!!!! Classic.
    Great writeups everyone! I've been waiting all week for these to start!

Thanks for the writeups, folks!

Jonathan and Georgeanne from the Guerlain boutique in the Palazzo were very hospitable to us, including a sign reading "Bienvenue Basenotes", champagne, and chocolate bonbons. The Basenoters spent far longer there than we had planned on the schedule (note to future organizers: always schedule a couple hours when the House of Guerlain is involved), and there was much sniffing and purchasing. Highlights included the only U.S. outlet for the Desert Collection, and the new edition of Shalimar Ode a la Vanille, Sur la Route du Madagascar. Knit and I tried some of the holiday makeup collection, including having Liu-scented glitter sprayed on our hair (much more mature and elegant than it sounds).

From Guerlain, we went to the Dior boutique, also in the Palazzo, where we were greeted by Massiel, and got to sniff the Collection Privee, of which many were well-loved, although our noses were a bit exhausted. They also provided goodie bags and yummy treats.

Misterben and I spent most of our free time with the Warums (West Coast Cascadia in da house!), including lots of fine foodie grazing, including Julian Serrano for tapas, Craftsteak for steak and scallops and farmer's market veggies, and Border Grill for yummy Mexican eats. We also went to the aquarium at the Mandalay Bay, which was approved of by Mr. Warum, a professional aquarium-dude.

My haul:
    2 bottles Ode a la Vanille
    1 bottle Lumiere Noire Pour Femme
    1 bottle Chanel Egoiste
    a busload of samples
    1 Guerlain eyeshadow quad (Winter limited edition)
    1 Guerlain eyeshadow single
    1 Guerlain gift wish purchase bag with some awesome skincare potions
    1 Dior eyeshadow quint (Winter limited edition)
    1 Dior Addict lipstick
    1 Atelier Cologne soap (Orange Sanguine)
    1 Ellis Faas concealer from Skins

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, totally forgot to mention the bottle of Santal 33 laundry detergent I acquired from Barneys, and Misterben's bottle of Nasomatto Absinth (which is his SOTD today).

I can't wait to do my next laundry!

Basenotes Institution

In case any of you participants want to write 'Thank You' notes to the SA's from Saturday's meet up (I already did) here they are below:

Skins 6 | 2
    3708 Las Vegas Blvd. S.
    Las Vegas, NV 89109

Johnathan Nieto
    Guerlain - The Shoppes at the Palazzo
    3327 Las Vegas Blvd. S - Suite #2848
    Las Vegas, NV 89109

Raul Delgado
    Barney's - The Shoppes at the Palazzo
    3327 Las Vegas Blvd. S
    Las Vegas, NV 89109

Massiel Cofino
    Dior - The Shoppes at the Palazzo
    3327 Las Vegas Blvd. S - Suite #2953
    Las Vegas, NV 89109

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Thanks for the writeups, folks!

Jonathan and Georgeanne from the Guerlain boutique in the Palazzo were very hospitable to us, including a sign reading "Bienvenue Basenotes", champagne, and chocolate bonbons. The Basenoters spent far longer there than we had planned on the schedule (note to future organizers: always schedule a couple hours when the House of Guerlain is involved), and there was much sniffing and purchasing. Highlights included the only U.S. outlet for the Desert Collection, and the new edition of Shalimar Ode a la Vanille, Sur la Route du Madagascar. Knit and I tried some of the holiday makeup collection, including having Liu-scented glitter sprayed on our hair (much more mature and elegant than it sounds).

From Guerlain, we went to the Dior boutique, also in the Palazzo, where we were greeted by Massiel, and got to sniff the Collection Privee, of which many were well-loved, although our noses were a bit exhausted. They also provided goodie bags and yummy treats.

Misterben and I spent most of our free time with the Warums (West Coast Cascadia in da house!), including lots of fine foodie grazing, including Julian Serrano for tapas, Craftsteak for steak and scallops and farmer's market veggies, and Border Grill for yummy Mexican eats. We also went to the aquarium at the Mandalay Bay, which was approved of by Mr. Warum, a professional aquarium-dude.

My haul:
    2 bottles Ode a la Vanille
    1 bottle Lumiere Noire Pour Femme
    1 bottle Chanel Egoiste
    a busload of samples
    1 Guerlain eyeshadow quad (Winter limited edition)
    1 Guerlain eyeshadow single
    1 Guerlain gift wish purchase bag with some awesome skincare potions
    1 Dior eyeshadow quint (Winter limited edition)
    1 Dior Addict lipstick
    1 Atelier Cologne soap (Orange Sanguine)
    1 Ellis Faas concealer from Skins

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, totally forgot to mention the bottle of Santal 33 laundry detergent I acquired from Barneys, and Misterben's bottle of Nasomatto Absinth (which is his SOTD today).

I can't wait to do my next laundry!
    Very cool! Sounds like you guys really had a good time on the town! I love the idea of that laundry detergent. Oh, man - that was my first sniff of Santal 33 at Barney's. That is *amazing* stuff. I am so glad that our buddy Al Gae want back for that one - I almost did, myself.

I didn't realize you'd gone so *huge* on cosmetics! Wow! I do think that Guerlain cosmetics are quite awesome. My wife loves their lipsticks.

I just got my box from Karina at the Dior Boutique - very happy they all made it here undamaged! I'm almost embarrassed to list them all in one spot, so I'll just let the bottles dribble out over the rest of my write-ups. I'll try to talk about Barney's next.

In the meanwhile, here's a picture from Tournament of Kings. Sorry for the poor quality - I left my camera back at the hotel because it was a "no camera" event, but then afterwards they let us take pictures with the actors. Obviously this isn't my wife, but my wife was already done with her turn by the time I got in position for a picture, and my wife thinks this is the best picture of the guy ("King of Hungary") who she thought was super-dreamy!

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some more pictures to make you droooooooooooool!

...and a close-up....

- - - Updated - - -

I loved those big Frederic Malle blotters, but I also loved the gazillion Le Labo thin blotters they had in that can. It was like "Go ahead - use as many as you want! Test everything!" I felt like such a picky rascal for sniffing so many things and only leaving with two bottles between me and my wife.

OH - must mention - they had great coffee and pastries for us, too. Snacked, we did! LOVED it! That little area there is a *great* place to get together.

I really hoped that the TDC jasmine scent would be there, but no dice. That's OK - my wife got me Coco Noir for my birthday, and I am in heaven with the stuff. I was sort of surprised to see the bottle in there at Barney's with all the niche. I guess it's a hot seller right now. It was kinda like the way they'll add hamburger at the end of the fancy menu - it may be great, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb. But I'm glad they had it there - my wife wanted to buy me something, and - voila! - there it was, the fragrance I wanted so badly for her to get me.

- - - Updated - - -

We saw Coco Noir later, while window-shopping at the Chanel Boutique in the Wynn - here it is....

My wife saw some nail-polish that she liked and we went in. I got to sniff a bunch of Exclusifs. I really liked Jersey - probably my favorite of all that I smelled. I guess that goes to show you that I'm some kind of slave to contemporary fashion! C'est la vie!

Red, I love that adorable, beautiful, giant Chanel Matryoshka (sp?) doll in the case with the Coco Noir! I'd be more interested in that than the fragrance. I can't help it. I am truly a child. I am so much enjoying this thread. It is lovely.

thoroughly enjoying this thread, reading through it as I luxuriate in a small decant of Iris Ganache that came in the post today. I can pretend I was at Guerlain with y'all! Redneck, I chuckled at your wife's pre meetup skepticism. It reminds me of my chat with the taxi driver as I was heading into New Orleans last November: driver: you mean you've never met ANY of these people? me: um, no, we've been online together a lot though. driver: so, it's kind of like a blind date with a dozen other people, right? amazing how we all really liked each other! I can see from the photos, Vegas was like that too!

matildaben, love that list, so great to see you and hubby in the photos. Please let us know how the Santal 33 comes out in the wash, I am loving my Iris 39 massage oil and found the idea of the laundry detergent very intriguing.

Warum, you are beautiful! I love seeing everyone's smiles.

Knit - happy belated birthday! hugs and kisses!

Basenotes Institution

SATURDAY MORNING

Well, dealing with the jet lag (at around 6 am Vegas time, my body felt like it was 9 am - ack!) made it easy to get out of bed, to the gym, then go downstairs for breakfast and then head down to The Shoppes and Barney's, the 1st destination that day.

I got there almost exactly at 10 am, and headed straight to the very top 4th floor, mistakenly thinking that's where we were going to meet (Raul said in his email we'd be in the 'mezzanine'). The 4th floor is the Men's department and I saw a bunch of fragrances and two female SA's nearby and NO Basenoters. I wandered around for about 10 minutes and didn't see anyone. WTH? I headed down to the 1st floor (down this very huge & Guggenheim-inspired circular staircase) and just as I headed over to the fragrance department I looked up and saw Mrs. Redneck Perfumisto waving at me..oh that mezzanine, I thought. Duh.

Headed up, coffee, pastries, muffins, fragrances, Basenoters - yay!!

Raul, at Barney's, totally hooked us up. The mezzanine was all ours, and it was not only spacious and comfortable, he'd also stocked it with tons of niche fragrances so we didn't have to go downstairs to the normal fragrance department. It felt very VIP, if you will. There was another SA there to help him (gosh, I can't remember her name). He apologized that the Frederic Malle SA was not able to make it, but we helped ourselves to the entire line, which included the very-rare Carnal Flower Hair Lotion (apparently a big deal in the Far East).

Saturday, we had Al Gae and Shiny Beast join us who weren't there on Friday, so it was awesome getting the opportunity to meet them in person and chat about fragrances.

I again tested Geranium Pour Monsieur and once again reminded myself that I absolutely detest this fragrance. It is a big FAIL for me. I love mint. I love geranium. I love Frederic Malle. But I sort of hate GPM. What's up with that? I also skin tested the new L'Artisan Seville L' Aube which I have been anticipating smelling for quite some time. I liked it (didn't LOVE it) and found it similar in my mind to Kobe by Xerjoff, although Al Gae (pronounced, 'algae') said he owns Kobe and he found them different. Perhaps the Xerjoff is juicier? The L'Artisan is very striking, but I must admit it didn't push all of my buttons. I circled among the selection, trying not to occupy too much arm real estate in the process (!), and was tempted by the new Play Series, the Heeley's, the Nasomatto's, the Malles that I have never tried (only a few actually), the Le Labo's (ditto) and the retail Tom Fords. I just **had** to sample Noir by Tom Ford, since I hadn't smelled it yet and I wanted to see if in fact it did smell like Habit Rouge and Jicky (it sort of does) and if I liked it (not sure yet...it left me a bit underwhelmed). The one fragrance that totally wowed me (and everyone who smelled it on me - and believe me I walked around and made EVERYONE smell my arm) was Anima Dulcis by Arquiste. I knew absolutely nothing about the line, although I do remember Octavian from the 1000 Fragrances blog going a bit gaga over them and that the guy behind the line, is Nate Berkus' boyfriend, but I was not prepared for the Love At First Sniff that I experienced with AD. I am half Mexican and I have this olfactory / associative memory of this smell: Chocolate, cinnamon and chili. The scent captures it perfectly, with a wonderfully vibrant vanilla note that sort of makes the composition smell a bit floral upon first sniff and then caramelic, salty and comforting in the dry down. It was my first purchase of the day. When I asked Raul if it was okay if we decanted some samples for ourselves (I brought 2.5 ml plastic atomizers with me!) he said okay, so we all ran around like crazy atomizing into those little plastic atomizers (I grabbed samples of the Play Black and Play Red by CdG, Bigarade Concentree by Malle (which has been on my radar for eons), Seville L'Aube, Spirit of The Tiger and Hindu Grass by Nasomatto (OMG, this stuff rocks!).

I had to stop myself from getting nose fatigue so ever so often I would turn my shoulder and take a big whiff of my shirt sleeve (which of course made me look very silly - 'what the hell is Mike doing over there!?').

The 2 hours we apportioned to be there zoomed by - all of a sudden it was 12:00 noon and we needed to eat. Oh yes, food. I was hungry. Funny how you forget about things like food when you're all 'in the thick of things' with your Basenotes peeps, no? We all decided it was going to be easier to get a table for 10 at the Grand Lux Cafe downstairs in The Venetian (where coincidentally, I'd had breakfast that very morning), so we headed over there.

One more thing: Before lunch I headed over to the restroom. I needed to SCRUB ALL OF THESE FRAGRANCES OFF. Really, how the hell was I going to smell anything at Guerlain if I didn't get all of these scents OFF of me? So there I am at this massive mens room, right off this ginormous casino, there are literally like 12 sinks - I felt like I was at a luxurious baseball stadium mens room. Both the water faucets and the soap dispensers are automated - motion detected, but the sinks themselves are tiny. I needed to not just wash my hands I needed to wash MY ARMS, and my UPPER ARMS and MY SHOULDERS (when I ran out of arm space, obviously!), so there I am bending down trying to fit my whole two arms into this tiny, gold-chrome encrusted sink and the soap dispenser keeps automatically squirting soap even when I don't need any more soap - the water and the soap are just running off my arms in gobs. I'm giggling at this point and I raise my arms up (COVERED in soap, dripping water) and guys are just looking at me like 'What the hell'. Which made me giggle even more. Casino restrooms are already a bit surreal, and I just added to the overall crunked-out-vibe. I kept lowering my soap covered arm into the sink, and more soap would squirt out. OMG, it took me about a few minutes to manuever all of the soap off my shoulder, arms and hands. The whole time I kept thinking, another Basenoter would totally understand what I am doing, and everyone else must think I'm cRaZy!!!

Kodak moments (compliments of Redneck since, for some reason, I personally took NO photos of Barney's on my camera...I was so 'in the moment'):

knit at nite (obviously 'in the moment' herself), googl.plex1 and Al Gae in front of the buffet of fragrances

Googl.plex1 getting close & intimate with his scented finger, Al Gae and Shiny Beast (probably posting some cool music to the Album of the Day Thread on BN )

matildaben, knit at nite (both clearly distracted by something scented), mr. matildaben & Mrs. Redneck Perfumisto (both clearly posing for the camera like the good-sports that they are)

Mrs. Redneck Perfumisto - the thought bubble might go something like this, 'Screw this joint, I want to know when the Chippendales show is playing next damnit!'

The whole gang (except for me, I suppose I was off in some corner with my eyes rolled back in my head, stuck to my arm scented with Anima Dulcis while Mrs. Redneck Perfumisto gawked at me).

Googl.plex1 in full-on Decant Mode (spray, spray, spray)

Lunch! I'm sure the waiter was wondering why we smelled so good. That's my husband, Ray, in front of me in this photo - he joined us for lunch.

The Beast & Plex, in pre-cocktail mode

Warum and Redneck Perfumisto clearly both under the influence of Too Many Fragrances, look at those smiles! Or maybe it was Warum's recent purchase of Nuda (and Redneck's L'Etrog) that put them in a 'pink cloud' at that side of the table.

After this it was off to the Motherland a.k.a. The Guerlain Boutique...(soon to be continued)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th October 2012 at 01:17 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac