Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My change of mind on Acqua di Gio.

Funny, AdG is what I put on this morning...I like it, It isn't as complex or evolving as some niche frags, but it holds it's own, and yea, it does well in the heat. Seems the roaming masses aren't wearing it as much these days as a few years ago, so that is good too.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Funny, AdG is what I put on this morning...I like it, It isn't as complex or evolving as some niche frags, but it holds it's own, and yea, it does well in the heat. Seems the roaming masses aren't wearing it as much these days as a few years ago, so that is good too.
    I hope like Cool Water the masses forget about it...I never smell Cool Water anymore. I'd love to rock ADG without every guy wearing it.

If you could only pick one bottle would it be the original ADG or ADG Essenza ?
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Another thing about AdG is that it can be worn more frequently than most other frags, though of course that's just in my experience.

I have determined that Acqua di Gio, the first designer fragrance that I ever owned, is a lot like one of my favorite bands, My Chemical Romance. (You'll notice that my new avatar has the new MCR logo, and my new signature has a line from one of their songs.)

Even though we are talking two different arts (perfumery and music), there are many similarities between AdG and MCR.
    -Both were very popular in the 2006-2008 timeframe.
    -Both get dissed by the other side; AdG becomes "Acqua di Watermelon" while MCR was renamed "My Chemical Toilet".
    -Both got their influence from others: AdG was influenced by Issey and Escape while MCR was inspired in part by Black Sabbath and The Smashing Pumpkins.
    -Both continue to come out with new releases (AdG Essenza and MCR's "Conventional Weapons").
    -And both don't deserve the criticism that they get.

Oh, and I listened to MCR's "The Black Parade" today during a workout where AdG was my SOTD. The two can intertwine just fine.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    If you could only pick one bottle would it be the original ADG or ADG Essenza ?
    ADG Essenza without a doubt. I may never use my bottle of original ADG again b/c of Essenza.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It's arguably top 5 of all the fragrances i've ever smelt. However, I own it, but rarely wear it because of the popularity factor.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I have determined that Acqua di Gio, the first designer fragrance that I ever owned, is a lot like one of my favorite bands, My Chemical Romance. (You'll notice that my new avatar has the new MCR logo, and my new signature has a line from one of their songs.)

Even though we are talking two different arts (perfumery and music), there are many similarities between AdG and MCR.
    -Both get dissed by the other side; AdG becomes "Acqua di Watermelon" while MCR was renamed "My Chemical Toilet".
    -Both got their influence from others: AdG was influenced by Issey and Escape while MCR was inspired in part by Black Sabbath and The Smashing Pumpkins.
    -Both continue to come out with new releases (AdG Essenza and MCR's "Conventional Weapons").

Oh, and I listened to MCR's "The Black Parade" today during a workout where AdG was my SOTD. The two can intertwine just fine.

Somehow I don't follow whatsoever.

I don't follow either, but this is where I think it's crucial to explain the criteria you are using to assess frags in detail. Also, there's no watermelon note in AdG.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Cheers to you, Bigsly. It's all too easy to fall into the trap of convincing yourself that a scent is bad because the snobs say so, or to convince yourself a scent is amazing because the snobs say so.

AdG is excellent. Sales numbers consistently prove it. Women love it on a man. It is more than just a hit. It is a phenomenon, and with good reason.

True. It's funny how there is always a backlash against something being popular. Those who hate AdG tend to be the same group who would have adored it when it was new. The pattern is the same as it is with an indie band. "OMG! BEST! THING! EVER!" But then, once the masses agree that the new indie band is, in fact, amazing, the original fans think they're too cool to like something the masses like. It's all so silly.

It's one thing to say "AdG is great but I won't buy it because it's worn by so many men." But to hate it because it's popular? That's just silly.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not a big fan, but it I can certainly agree it's much better put together than really any creed frag I can think of. I definitely don't think natural vs unnatural is something that should be worried about in perfumery. The whole point is being unnatural.

Yesterday I wore Halston Unbound, the day before Eternity Summer, the day before Gant Indigo (the weather is warming up down here). I still think I greatly prefer them and Paris Hilton's Just Me and L'Eau par Kenzo and Jill Sander's Pure Man to Aqua di Gio any day.

I'm not sure why you include oceanic/marine scents like Erolfa and Nautica Voyage into comparisons to ADG, as they have very little in common to my nose.

But who knows? Maybe in 10 years or so, ADG may start to grow on me like it has on you.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Also, there's no watermelon note in AdG.
    I know, I know. But a lot of people get a watermelon vibe from AdG.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Uhm... what? AdG was a monster hit from 1996 through the late 90s. And it has grown considerably since then. Initially, it was THE club scent, as new fad scents often are, but instead of remaining a fad, it grew into an everyman sort of appeal by the end of the 90s. AdG has been on top of the men's fragrance world for 16 years and is still going strong.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I hardly ever smell aquatics on anyone around here.

I don't use it myself only because it's too popular. But. It was created in 1996. It's the number 1 seller in 2012. That's 16 years. Let me repeat. 16 years! You don't get there unless you're superior, as simple as that.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

ADG is one of the far better summer fragrances. Thank goodness it is not just another citrus, grapefruit opening summer mess.

I know, I know. But a lot of people get a watermelon vibe from AdG.
    I do understand the idea. When I first got "serious" about frags I would often think that one smelled like a food item. I often didn't pick up on things like wood notes, for example. Also, the sweetness of a frag didn't really register much at all, whereas now I hate frags that have more than a moderate amount of sweetness, though even in those cases I have to be in the mood for the sweetness.