Code of Conduct

Default Androgynous Fragrances

Which androgynous fragrances do you think are the most masculine..., and which do you feel are overly feminine?

Also, do you think the more masculine fragrances should usually be worn in the evening as a general rule of thumb?

Default Re: Androgynous Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Trepanner View Post
    Also, do you think the more masculine fragrances should usually be worn in the evening as a general rule of thumb?
    Not at all. Personally feel they can be worn at any time of day.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Not really. If you mean "more feminine" to generally imply "softer and sweeter", than I would say that I would be more likely to wear those in warmer weather and the "masculine" (heavier thicker scents) ones in the colder weather. But the where/when I wear it is far more about the specific scent and my mood than any gender that it leans closer to.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I like Dior Homme, but it could EASILY be worn by a woman.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

You are going to get a lot of answers to the effect that all fragrances are androgynous, and masculine/feminine are just marketing constructs.

I think people could come up with a long list of "masculine" fragrances that could just as easily be marketed to women (and I think I've read that a good proportion of male marketed fragrances are actually purchased and worn by women) and "feminine" fragrances that could be marketed to men.

Don't agree with the general rule of thumb, although the different night time temperatures and the different kinds of events people partake of in the evenings seems to influence people's choice of fragrance, and as a general observation of posts from Basenotes people seem to go for richer and sometimes sweeter fragrances, particularly as these seem to be the kinds of scents people associate with being sexier (amber based orientals, etc.).

For the record, my wife smells awesome in my dry woody and incense scents like 2 Man which would traditionally be considered very masculine.
    Just say no to oniomania.

Dior Homme and DHI immediately come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepanner View Post
    Which androgynous fragrances do you think are the most masculine..., and which do you feel are overly feminine?
    If a fragrance is more masculine or more feminine, that by definition means it's not androgynous.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

The term used is unisex, not androgynous. My guess is that the answer to your question has too many variables, such as age, socio-economic group, etc., so that if you asked a question like, "what is the most unisex scent I could wear while at the Jersey shore, hanging out with 20-something knuckleheads," you might get some useful responses.

Hanai Mori HM is the first scent that comes to mind when I think of an androgenis scent. Also Versace's The Dreamer.

Jicky Guerlain - is awesome on both men and women) Sycomore too and Voleur De Roses

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    If a fragrance is more masculine or more feminine, that by definition means it's not androgynous.
    Thank you.

Hanae Mori HM. Can be worn in any Björk video that features robots, at Japanese metro parties or if you are a Belieber.

Also 24 Gold and Pure Malt.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 28th July 2014 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The term used is unisex, not androgynous.
    Correct. Androgynous refers to people who can be mistaken for the opposite sex - unisex refers to things used by both.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Wear Whatever, Whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    You are going to get a lot of answers to the effect that all fragrances are androgynous, and masculine/feminine are just marketing constructs.

I think people could come up with a long list of "masculine" fragrances that could just as easily be marketed to women (and I think I've read that a good proportion of male marketed fragrances are actually purchased and worn by women) and "feminine" fragrances that could be marketed to men.

Don't agree with the general rule of thumb, although the different night time temperatures and the different kinds of events people partake of in the evenings seems to influence people's choice of fragrance, and as a general observation of posts from Basenotes people seem to go for richer and sometimes sweeter fragrances, particularly as these seem to be the kinds of scents people associate with being sexier (amber based orientals, etc.).
    +1
    Yep...that pretty much sums it up!

DH, DHI and most of the Roja doves , TF , and Montales just to mention a few. It's all subjective and depends on your attitude and confidence if you ask me ; but there are those that for past experiences do inspire totally to the other side of the spectrum because of my olfactory recollection but smells are subjective to everyone differently because of that same very memory trigger imbedded in all of us.
    Last edited by magnus611; 28th July 2014 at 01:25 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "