Code of Conduct

Thread: Copycat oils

Smile Copycat oils

Hello guys,

I have been lurking here for about a month, I was really motivated to make my own oils. I love cologne, and I love receiving positive comments from people, but I hate how my body breaks the scent down faster than on most people. It has gotten to the point where I keep mini sprays in my desk at work, at home, in my backpack, in my car (only when the weather is consistently cool, so the heat doesn't break down the scents).

So I was looking to make oils so the projection of the scent lasts for 8-10. Most department store colognes (Aqua di Gio, Gucci Guilty Intense, Fierce) projection lasts up to an hour, at the very most, on me.

After seeing the very steep learning curve of making fragrances, I've settled on trying oils that mimic the colognes I enjoy (they are referred to as "Type M", etc). Eventually, mixing some of them to make a hybrid.

I understand that buying copycat scents is looked down upon, because the original scent owner doesn't get a share of the profits. I'm not looking for inexpensive knock-offs, because I'm cheap. My issue is that their mass produced cologne doesn't have the projection to last to my likings.

Could mimic oils be my solution? From what I've gathered in this past month, the copycat oils tend to last a lot longer than the original product.

TL;DR

Do copycat designer fragrance oils last longer than the legit designer fragrances?

Default Re: Copycat oils

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackAdonis View Post
    Could mimic oils be my solution? Do copycat designer fragrance oils last longer than the legit designer fragrances?
    In theory: yes. In reality: very unlikely. Copycats usualy produce low quality products where fragrance brands make at least a reasonable product.

Crap... then I probably should look into making my own.

I really need something that long lasting projection.

Thanks for your reply, janmeut.

It will be easy to identify what notes are your favourite by looking up all your favourite frags to jot down the notes and seeing if there are any dominating notes in common. Maybe you are choosing colognes with few basenotes.

I suggest you could buy some longer lasting basenote essential oils reflecting these, some perfumers alcohol or fractionated coconut oil to dilute them with (don't wear EO's neat). Dilute them to a max of 20% and layer those in harmony with the real frags you like. Basenotes have longevity of up to 400hrs depending on which.

Something else to bear in mind is that maybe it is only you that cannot smell your frags on yourself after a while. Maybe others can... you may be reeking after so many applications. Ask your close colleagues first....

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    It will be easy to identify what notes are your favourite by looking up all your favourite frags to jot down the notes and seeing if there are any dominating notes in common. Maybe you are choosing colognes with few basenotes.

I suggest you could buy some longer lasting basenote essential oils reflecting these, some perfumers alcohol or fractionated coconut oil to dilute them with (don't wear EO's neat). Dilute them to a max of 20% and layer those in harmony with the real frags you like. Basenotes have longevity of up to 400hrs depending on which.

Something else to bear in mind is that maybe it is only you that cannot smell your frags on yourself after a while. Maybe others can... you may be reeking after so many applications. Ask your close colleagues first....

Thanks for your advice, mumsy!

I have to admit, I did chuckle about your comment about not being able to smell my cologne and that I might be reeking. LOL

After rereading my original post, it did look as though I applied my favorite colognes everywhere. I just have them on hand in case I feel like my scent has gone away. I'm very cautious of over-applying fragrances, because I know not everyone enjoys them.

Back to your advice, I will look into what you've advised.

Honestly, I am a bit afraid to reveal my favorite cologne, because I've seen how a lot of people on these forums detest mass-produced/department store fragrances.

It's Paris Hilton Just Me for Men. It was given to me as a gag gift for my birthday a few years ago. My aunt bought it a 1/2 price store. I fell in love with the sultry scent, received nothing but positive comments, and I've read that it's a knock off of Aqua di Gio. I have Gio, but I still prefer Just Me.

I will do some more research, and, again, thanks for your input!

There are no frags to be ashamed of. Have you seen some of the threads on this? You are not even alone in yours. We all have a few. A frag is a frag is a frag, and if it sits on your skin well and smells delightful, then it doesn't matter who made it or what it's name is.

I just looked it up and actually the reviews are fairly good. A light but well constructed citrus/woodsy scent but with poor longevity.

Here are the frags notes taken from various sources (thank you sources):-

Fragrantica site:-
    By Jean-Louis Grauby. The goal of this scented composition is to be noticed, and it is, as Paris herself describes, unbelievably seductive. A playful breeze at the beginning of the composition with sparkling notes of lime, mandarin, blueberry, citruses and green grass caresses and refreshes us, leading to the heart of nutmeg, lotus and incense. The base is rich with patchouli, Amazon oakmoss, woody notes, amber and musk.

Fragrance net:-
    Just Me Paris Hilton cologne for men offers a fresh alternative to traditional, heavy masculine scents. This citrusy fragrance combines the fruity scents of black currant, lime and tangerine with the crisp, outdoorsy aromas of clary sage, grass, lotus, moss, sea breeze and woods to create a refreshing scent that is clean and energizing. Subtle hints of amber, clove, incense, musk and patchouli keep this cologne manly and interesting. Introduced by Paris Hilton in 2006, this casual men's fragrance is the perfect go-to cologne for everyday wear.

Patchouli, amber, cedar and a musk (sub) would layer with it by the looks of it.

If you wanted to make your own, there are many cologne recipes on this site. There is a lovely woodsy one on PA to begin with. I've made it and it is delightful if you really want to DIY.
    Last edited by mumsy; 5th October 2012 at 09:28 AM.

Thank you so much, Mumsy.

I don't think anyone could ask for better support and encouragement.

All my best,
    Michael