Code of Conduct

Default Samples versus The Real Juice

I have seen many allusions to the sometimes dramatic differences between the experience of a sample and the experience of the spray, direct from the bottle. Recently, I've been testing driving a house sample, dabbing it, liked it very much, so picked up a bottle and gave myself a nice spritz.

The difference is immediately apparent. Bottle sprayed is a much richer experience, deeper, and more finely detailed--almost sumptuous in its multilayered presence. It's rather like knowing all about a painting from art textbooks, reproductions, posters, and photographs, then visiting it in its home and seeing it directly, close-up and intimate. What a nice discovery.

Default Re: Samples versus The Real Juice

The spray bottle for me is the only way to go.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

spray defintely wins.

I agree.

When I sample something it has to be from a spray vial and usually at least 2ml or more.

And it's still a different experience when its directly from the bottle.

I find it largely irrelevant because in my experience if the sample sucks so does the full bottle. I don't think its wise to not enjoy the sample then buy a full bottle because you think it will smell different.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Sample in a spray atomiser is the way to go. Those luckyscent samples are pretty awful and can skew your perception on a frags longevity,sillage and richness imo.

Agree with all that's been said - I sampled Ambra Nera from a dab vial - it was still richly animalic but smooth with a delicate powder. From the full bottle sprayed at full power - the smoke comes forward the most, a pungent birch tar and eucalyptus, the animalics don't hit in for a few minutes and the whole experience is far more intense and overwhelming - still thoroughly enjoyable, but very different openings.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Definitely sample using a spray atomizer. And remember, if the spray atomizer sample does not sit well on your skin, the full bottle sprayer is not going to be any better. Save your money and sample something else. Sample, sample, sample.

Totally agree and I just came to the same conclusion not long ago.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”
    ― Marian Bendeth“

Even the sprays can be a bit misleading. I bought VC&A ph after a couple of wears from a 1.5 ml spray vial. It was good but I was totally unprepared for the soapy blast of a full spray from a full bottle. It took 3 or 4 wearings to get my spray technique nailed for that scent. Now I spray up a cloud in the air and walk thru it, and enjoy the same experience I had from the sample.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I wonder if I might have dismissed some good ones for being too light and ephemeral that would have worked out well in a full bottle with a better sprayer.

Quote Originally Posted by gilesjp View Post
    I find it largely irrelevant because in my experience if the sample sucks so does the full bottle. I don't think its wise to not enjoy the sample then buy a full bottle because you think it will smell different.
    I can't imagine myself buying a full bottle if a sample isn't to my liking, but I've been known to be impulsive when intoxicated. (The old adage, "Never shop for food when you're stoned", applies almost universally to every shopping experience.)

So far, I've noticed the sample/bottle difference with Montale's Dark Aoud, and Creed's Royal Oud. Both nice as samples, to be sure, but much, much yummier from the bottle. I can hardly wait to see what emerges from a bottle of Dior's Leather Oud, or Armani's Bois d'encens.

Of course, this raises another question. If a sample is "nice enough" (be it dabbed or spritzed from a spray sample), but not exactly a "WOW!", would passing on the bottle be passing up a potential "WOW!"? For example, I'm sampling a few of the Amouage line and find them very interesting, but the experiences so far haven't made me go "WOW!". Perhaps the sample experience "short-changes" the full experience so much that I can't realistically make a fair decision? I'd visit an outlet to get the real thing to test straight from a bottle, but Amouage has no presence in Toronto.

Oh well, no one's going to die a horrible death or live in unendurable suffering if I should miss something yummy.

Blog Entries

I agree totally...Pay the extra get a spritzer sample. TPC and STC both offer slightly bigger samples in spritzers. I have tried daubing, splashing, rubbing, and get nothing. you get a small idea of general top notes, but don't make an assumption on longevity or sillage. You are applying the 0.3ml sample on a 9 square cm area. An atomizer applies the same 0.3ml sample over a 100 square cm area. You get the picture...Would you wallpaper a whole room based on picking out a sample the size of a playing card?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Definitely sample using a spray atomizer. And remember, if the spray atomizer sample does not sit well on your skin, the full bottle sprayer is not going to be any better. Save your money and sample something else. Sample, sample, sample.
    This ^^^^^^^^^ is sound advice.