Code of Conduct

Unhappy Live Jazz disappointment

I am disappointed with this one. With the first spray it blows a booze lemon smell that is not so generic but is indeed cheap as i can smell the ethylic alcohol. Soon it fades a transparent lemon takes place with a underlying coriander note i can barely notice. Mint note? Nope. Ambergris? nope. It smells like many cheap colognes and deodorants made here in Brazil by "O Boticário".

Default Re: Live Jazz disappointment

Sorry you had an unpleasant experience with this one. I find it a nice scent.

Originally I liked it, but after wearing it enough I found the cilantro note unbearable. I can see why it has it's fans, but it's just not for me. I think it's far from cheap smelling.

Sound Scents

I like it, but don't love it like many others do. I personally consider it a quality fragrance and a good buy at its relatively low street price.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    I am disappointed with this one. With the first spray it blows a booze lemon smell that is not so generic but is indeed cheap as i can smell the ethylic alcohol. Soon it fades a transparent lemon takes place with a underlying coriander note i can barely notice. Mint note? Nope. Ambergris? nope. It smells like many cheap colognes and deodorants made here in Brazil by "O Boticário".
    Doesn't sound right...you should get an obvious mint note and even more obvious cilantro note, with citrus to boot.

Maybe you have a bad bottle of it.

I don't love Live Jazz, but my experience with it doesn't match your description at all.

[

I respect it as a mint scent, but mint ain't my cup of tea generally, it smells nice, but I don't like it the best as a perfume note. Other than that, it's a solid mint scent.

Thank you for saying that you don't get any mint from this one. I get a little tiny blast of it at the very beginning and then it's gone in 10 seconds. It is hailed as a big mint frag and it is FAAAAAR from it. I don't know why people say they don't like it because of the mint...um...it's barely even there and only for a second. The cilantro note is by far the main player in this one and man is it strong. I too see why this has it's fans, but it's not for me either, and if anyone is looking for a great mint frag, this is not it by a long shot.

I like it. Personally I find the cilantro and sweet spearmint to be the dominant notes. My only complaint is that I don't care for ambergris and I do start to get a bit of it late in the drydown. Anyway, cilantro and mint are both polarizing notes that people either love or hate, and I happen to love both of these (notes and the actual plants). So this one is a personal favorite.

i will wear it more times, i like much more the drydown than the top and middle notes. But i think i am not a fond of "sport" scents. Cilantro is sooooo proeminent. I have it in my kitchen, and its lively note, make the scent more warm. I will try it more times to see if the scent may grow on me. I have also to spray it on fabric to see what i get. I did not wanted to be agressive with my words guys!! Just a different view.

It's a fun scent, but I think the original and Prestige are superior.

I think Live Jazz is classy enough, but I rarely wear it. Something in it doesn't grab me after a while.
    Regards,
    Renato

terrible fragrance but I cant stand and frag with savory herb notes. Ive tried to warn as many people as I can about the awful synthetic cilantro note that dominates.

I don't love this as much as I used to, but still enjoy it. I still have the vintage bottle I bought shortly after it came out and do spray it on a couple times a year.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Dependent

Perhaps, like me, you are hyperosmic to dihydromyrcenol, as that's all I get from Live Jazz... synthetic, metallic, and cheap. If so, I suggest avoiding

Green Irish Tweed
    Cool Water
    Drakkar Noir
    L'Anarchiste

and countless others from the 80s and 90s ... and even newer ones

I really enjoy Live Jazz. Most people comment on how they love it in hot weather. Well I happen to like it even more in cool to cold weather. It provides a great little pick me up. I'd put it up there with Rive Gauche PH as one on the all time great bang for the buck fragrances...

I purchased a sample a few months back. I expected to dislike it, but found it to be a solid "OK". I may wear it again someday, but I have so many others, I am not sure when I will get around to it...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Originally I liked it, but after wearing it enough I found the cilantro note unbearable. I can see why it has it's fans, but it's just not for me. I think it's far from cheap smelling.
    Just my thought. I don't wear it any more, but it smells far better than its price point. And not nearly as synthetic as it should. It's a nice cologne for someone started out in the hobby. But to each his own nose.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I find it great when it's really hot where it comes into it's own and is refreshing but I do not wear at any other time.

Banned

I am quite surprised.
    Put it away for a while, then re-test it.
    Albeit it is not a niche scent, hopefully, you will find it very versatile, and worth its very favorable price point.

Are you sure it's still good? Just asking as I had an off bottle of this once which basically just smelled of alcohol and not much else.

I agree with the OP, bloody awfull stuff. Toothpaste opening with a cheap talcum powder drydown.

Doesn't sound right to me. The ambergris should come in during the drydown and the mint is subtle but should be detectable.
    I think most YSL scents are kind of bold and in your face which is not going to please everyone but I also think this is their main strength.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Perhaps, like me, you are hyperosmic to dihydromyrcenol, as that's all I get from Live Jazz..
    Interesting i´ve never heard about dihydromyrcenol before but then i found this thread here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/232...ihydromyrcenol and it matchs to what i smell on live jazz, and what Monkeybars took in place.

I wasn't too thrilled with LJ when I first got it, as it was a blind buy. But overtime, I became more and more in love with it. It's a great take on citrus and spearmint, I wish it were stronger though, but because it's so light, it makes it creamy and almost elegant, which is hard to find in a citrus based fragrance. I think it's beautiful. It'll grow on you for sure.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Just my thought. I don't wear it any more, but it smells far better than its price point. And not nearly as synthetic as it should. It's a nice cologne for someone started out in the hobby. But to each his own nose.
    This is the point I think -- it's good value for money and a nice way in. Unable to get in central London now - it may have been pulled or going through a revamp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    This is the point I think -- it's good value for money and a nice way in. Unable to get in central London now - it may have been pulled or going through a revamp.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I wasn't too thrilled with LJ when I first got it, as it was a blind buy. But overtime, I became more and more in love with it. It's a great take on citrus and spearmint, I wish it were stronger though, but because it's so light, it makes it creamy and almost elegant, which is hard to find in a citrus based fragrance. I think it's beautiful. It'll grow on you for sure.

Was definately a grower for me. I wore it for a while, no strong feelings either way, then came back to it and really appreciated it. (I had mean time tried the original Jazz and thought I liked it much more.)